Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is It Possible For A Player To Make Their Own Auction House? For Everybody?

Klixen
Klixen
✭✭✭
I'm new around here, so I'm probably missing something. But I'm wondering if it's possible for a player to start a Trade Guild, get a Guild Trader somewhere (doesn't really matter where, people will soon learn its location) and then let everybody join it (just like a real Auction House).

There'd be no requirements to join, no fees, no selling quotas, no donations, no minimum activity, no pressures of any kind. It would be just a place to sell and buy stuff (like any other Auction House in any other game).

You'd never have to worry about getting kicked from the guild, membership is for life, whether you sell stuff or not. Hopefully, over time, it would become THE Auction House! The place where everybody goes to buy and sell stuff and that everybody belongs to.

Is such a thing possible?

If it's not, then might it be possible for the Dev's to do something like this? Could they create one 'MEGA' Trade Guild that everybody automatically belongs to? Then just plonk down a Guild Trader somewhere in the world and let everybody use it?

Just a thought.
  • TarrNokk
    TarrNokk
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's possible and every guild does that. You just need a certain amount of members.
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭
    TarrNokk wrote: »
    It's possible and every guild does that. You just need a certain amount of members.

Really? I've been looking for a Trade Guild for ages. But most of them have requirements. You either have to make a certain amount of sales each week, or pay a weekly fee (donation) or never go offline for more than a few days without notifying the guild.

It's just ridiculous the number of hoops you have to jump through just to sell some stuff.
  • TarrNokk
    TarrNokk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Klixen wrote: »

Really? I've been looking for a Trade Guild for ages. But most of them have requirements. You either have to make a certain amount of sales each week, or pay a weekly fee (donation) or never go offline for more than a few days without notifying the guild.

It's just ridiculous the number of hoops you have to jump through just to sell some stuff.

This might be true, but you did ask for something other: if it's possible for a player to start a Trade Guild, get a Guild Trader somewhere (doesn't really matter where, people will soon learn its location) and then let everybody join it
  • KiraTsukasa
    KiraTsukasa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. And people defend this system to their dying breath thinking it's good.
  • MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭
    There’s lots of trading guilds that have no fees or requirements.

But limit for members of a guild is 500, so if 400 of those have left two years ago, and half who are left are not selling anything, it’s bit hard to bid for trader. That’s why inactive members are usually kicked.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Takes gold to get a trader every week, hence the raffles, etc. Most guilds know that having little to no guild income isn't sustainable for trading, and the GMs out there will agree that they usually put the most gold in.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount of gold it takes to hold a prime trader spot is literally in the millions.

So no, not possible.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭

Getting a good traders a lot of gold

How does a guild get gold for the trader?

- Selling tax (more sales = more tax income)
    - Donations
    - Raffles and such

Guilds with no income won't be able to get traders, or only traders lost in the middle of nowhere that only people questing or doing Cadwell's will ever stumble upon, if lucky.

If a guild wants to be (and stay) in one of the top spots, it needs a reliable income. Minimum sales makes the most sense; it benefits the guild, it benefits you (because you are making a profit with the sales too). If you can't get to the minimum sales requirement, maybe you don't need a trader in one of the top spots either.

Donations are another option for those who may not have that much time but still want to be able to sell their goods in a top trader when they have things to sell.

A guild is a joint effort by its members, contributing to its success shouldn't be seen as "ridiculous the number of hoops you have to jump through"
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES they exists!! my guild doesnt have any requirements whatsoever except for being active and were located on one of the main cities
    Edited by Bbsample197 on March 14, 2018 11:16AM
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not exactly what you ask for, but here is an addon that does what should have been part of the base game: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1768-NirnAuctionHouse.html

A universal AH that everyone has access to (who has this addon).
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    Not exactly what you ask for, but here is an addon that does what should have been part of the base game: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1768-NirnAuctionHouse.html

A universal AH that everyone has access to (who has this addon).

Thank you! This may be just what I'm looking for. I will definitely check it out.

Edit: I've just been reading about this Addon. My God! Why isn't this more well known? Everybody should be using this!

For everyone who's excluded from a Guild Trader (for whatever reason) this Addon looks like a Godsend!
    Edited by Klixen on March 14, 2018 12:39PM
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭
    ssorgatem wrote: »

- Donations
    - Raffles and such

Guilds with no income won't be able to get traders, or only traders lost in the middle of nowhere that only people questing or doing Cadwell's will ever stumble upon, if lucky.

If a guild wants to be (and stay) in one of the top spots, it needs a reliable income. Minimum sales makes the most sense; it benefits the guild, it benefits you (because you are making a profit with the sales too). If you can't get to the minimum sales requirement, maybe you don't need a trader in one of the top spots either.

Donations are another option for those who may not have that much time but still want to be able to sell their goods in a top trader when they have things to sell.

A guild is a joint effort by its members, contributing to its success shouldn't be seen as "ridiculous the number of hoops you have to jump through"

That is exactly my point, it shouldn't be this difficult. Not for guilds and certainly not for sellers.

I know people have been begging for an Auction House for years, but I don't think the Dev's can implement one (because surely they would have done it by now if it was possible).

So I think the next best solution (if players can't do it themselves) is for the Dev's to run their own Guild Trader. With no limit on how many members can join and no requirements.

It would be the next best thing to getting a Universal Auction House that everybody can use.
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tamriel trade center is probably as close as it gets.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭

- Donations
    - Raffles and such

That is exactly my point, it shouldn't be this difficult. Not for guilds and certainly not for sellers.

I know people have been begging for an Auction House for years, but I don't think the Dev's can implement one (because surely they would have done it by now if it was possible).

So I think the next best solution (if players can't do it themselves) is for the Dev's to run their own Guild Trader. With no limit on how many members can join and no requirements.

It would be the next best thing to getting a Universal Auction House that everybody can use.

It's only as difficult as other players want to make it.

Your position is that basically casuals and people who barelys ell things should have the same privileged selling spots as dedicated traders do?

What's next, demanding hybrid dual bow builds to be able to do vMoL?
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could find a non-trading guild that works on getting a trader most of the time. There are several guilds in game, at least on NA that do have traders that are actually social/PVE guilds and are unlikely to have selling requirements.
    The Moot Councillor
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: I've just been reading about this Addon. My God! Why isn't this more well known? Everybody should be using this!

The short answer is, because most of the community doesn't trust it. There were some serious irregularities, with that, including large chunks of plagiarized code.
  • Orjix
    Orjix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay! Another we need an auction hose thread. How original
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So yes the game is designed to allow players to form a guild and sale within their own guild as well as bid for a trader to open up their Guild store to non Guild members.

No, this game doesn’t allow auction houses meaning you have to be a member to sale or list items. Buying is only open to others via a trader (weekly).

The Guild trader is limited to one per Guild

There are no required fees to join the guild but players tend to come up with all types of ideas that are allowed by the game but not necessary.

Sadly some of these ideas are creating a bad experience as required weekly sales, weekly dues, etc which are often used for bidding. This exponentially increases the bidding and to other practices creates Guild ghosting practices to offset the bidding competitors.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 14, 2018 2:00PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orjix wrote: »
    Yay! Another we need an auction hose thread. How original

Oh, right, I forgot to post:

RXLDodV.gif
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭

- Donations
    - Raffles and such

Your position is that basically casuals and people who barelys ell things should have the same privileged selling spots as dedicated traders do?

That's exactly what my position is! Why should anyone be excluded from a very important part of the game just because they can't meet the demands of some Guild?

Edited by Klixen on March 14, 2018 2:03PM
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭

The short answer is, because most of the community doesn't trust it. There were some serious irregularities, with that, including large chunks of plagiarized code.

Bummer! That's a real shame, cause I thought this might be the answer to all our problems :(
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. And people defend this system to their dying breath thinking it's good.

No, but I it is better than what you get in open systems.

With the current system, it's basically impossible to engage in any price fixing on a meaningful level. With a centralized AH, it's trivial to stick a bot at the AH, purchase and immediately flip anything that goes under the floor.

I mean, do you particularly like the idea of having to pay 1m for BA pages? Or 15k for Tempering Alloys? Because that is where this system would go in short order. If you don't believe me, go check MMOs with unrestricted AHs, and look at the historical pricing for items in them.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could start a group. Have 500 active members and only sell to each other with no trader. So for those 500 people it would be a small AH. Since you would not be bidding for traders you would not need to charge.

This IMO would be very hard to keep active as players leave guilds all the kinds for various reasons. I also believe that it would be difficult to convince 499 other people that just selling to each other is more beneficial to have a trader and selling to other players outside the guild.

This would accomplish your goal of a AH enviroment.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

- Donations
    - Raffles and such

That's exactly what my position is! Why should anyone be excluded from a very important part of the game just because they can't meet the demands of some Guild?
    I'm currently in 4 guilds. Two don't bother with traders so don't really care. The other two usually get traders; the one is consistently in Vulkhel Guard. The requirements to belong to these two guilds? Log in once a week. Period. If you are playing the game at least once a week, you've met the stringent requirements.

The one does offer a voluntary participation raffle, and, voluntary again, two versions of auction. No sell x amount a week requirements, no buy x amount of raffle tickets every week, no buy x amount of auction items. The other guild doesn't have a raffle or auction but still manages to get a trader in a good spot most weeks, although the location does vary.

Being able to buy and sell is an activity in the game, but not exactly "a very important part". People can and do have fun without buying or selling anything. Then again, I started playing in early access, when there were no guild traders, only npc vendors and guild stores to sell to your guildmates, so possibly I'm missing something regarding the dire necessity of trading. Getting gold in the game isn't really that hard.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer! That's a real shame, cause I thought this might be the answer to all our problems :(

The big thing about that addon (and TTC, for that matter) is that both rely on an external executable. This means you have to run a program developed by someone else, in order for the addon to work. Needless to say, in both cases, this is a non-trivial security risk for your PC. As a result, there are a lot of players who won't use either.

If you're looking to buy things, Tamriel Trade Center's website is a pretty good resource to run down where stuff has been listed. It's not 100% up to date (depending on what you're looking for, listings may have been uploaded more than an hour ago), but it does let you know where you should check.

Additionally, Awesome Guild Store can make the actual store UI way easier to manage, meaning you can find what you're looking for much faster than through the conventional interface. This can make it trivial to bounce from store to store, looking for one specific thing.

If you want to sell things, keep an eye out in zone for guilds who are recruiting. You'll see a lot of horror stories on the forums about things going wrong, but in general, those are an extreme minority. Unless a store is in one of the major trading hubs (Rawl'Kha, Mournhold, Wayrest) you usually won't see sales quotas or membership dues. (There are a few exceptions to this, and it's entirely up to you if you want to sign up with a guild that does have quotas and dues.)

Additionally, inactive policies are pragmatic in nature. A guild cannot have more than 500 members. If a guild is at capacity, and you have someone who is active and willing to sell stuff, it might be time to look at your roster and see if someone hasn't logged on since 2015, or over a month ago (at which point, none of their listings will even be in the store.)

Worth remembering, this isn't sheer greed. Guild stores cost substantial amounts of gold to secure. This means if you want a kiosk, your guild needs to be making money somehow, or it won't be able to hold the position. So, the guild is pressured (by the game) to have active sellers who are listing things, as opposed to keeping people who've left the game on their roster, "just in case."

As with any other guild, it's about finding a community that's a good fit, but this is something you can do if you're wanting to sell stuff.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think people understand

Other games:
    -Have multiple regions with multiple servers within those regions for a total of hundreds of different closed group auction houses.

This game:
    -Two regions and one server per region for a total of 2 with thousands of closed group stores and hundreds of stores open to the massive server.

-Players are asking that this game have one store per region. Has anyone here participated in Diablo 3 auction house prior to it being removed?

That’s what it’s be like which wouldn’t be good for this game. You wouldn’t intentionally open up only 6 stores for 10 million players. No game is doing that, not even the bigger games at the height of their popularity.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 14, 2018 2:45PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With the current system, it's basically impossible to engage in any price fixing on a meaningful level. With a centralized AH, it's trivial to stick a bot at the AH, purchase and immediately flip anything that goes under the floor.

I mean, do you particularly like the idea of having to pay 1m for BA pages? Or 15k for Tempering Alloys? Because that is where this system would go in short order. If you don't believe me, go check MMOs with unrestricted AHs, and look at the historical pricing for items in them.

Please don't start with this crap again. If what you said were true, ESO would be the only MMO with an actual economy, instead of being the only one WITHOUT an actual economy.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't start with this crap again. If what you said were true, ESO would be the only MMO with an actual economy, instead of being the only one WITHOUT an actual economy.

Have you played other MMOs? Have you seen the flipping that happens on their AH systems?
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in 2 different trade guilds with no requirements (besides being active once a week) that consistently have top-tier trader locations. It's not that hard if you shop around.

Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you played other MMOs? Have you seen the flipping that happens on their AH systems?

I've played just about every AAA mmo ever made, and I have an understanding of how supply and demand works. This is by far the worst, and I can't stress that enough, the worst market design I have ever seen. Even worse than Lineage 2, and that was awful.