The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Can you play a Stamblade on a Breton?

Adventurer
Adventurer
✭✭✭
If I'd like to do PVE, can I do a stamblade well?

How much worse off would a stamblade Breton be compared to an Orc or a Redguard?
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say about 67% less effective than Redguard. That said, if you have high CP you could do almost 100% of Overland content as a solo Breton Stamblade.
    Edited by Moloch1514 on February 16, 2018 9:57PM
    PC-NA
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can. Don't expect to be on top of a leader board, but it is very possible and solves skill point shortage as you have no racials to invest in.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried for about 18 months, off and on, to get my Breton Stamblade to work, not much success. Of course my main issue is I Sprint everywhere, and that does not help matters. I could pull decent DPS, but I could not sustain, and without Vigor, you really have no effective self heals as a Stamblade. Except maybe Leeching Strikes, but that is still not all that effective.

Once I made him a MagBlade, yeehaw, that's fun. Mobs just melt. And, self heals are no longer an issue.

I rolled a Khajiit Stamblade, and that is all together a different story.
    Edited by Nestor on February 16, 2018 10:04PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my breton started off using dual wield daggers, bow, and a bunch of medium armor...

switched him to being magicka focused a year or so ago...

he actually sent me a really nice heart felt letter thanking me for converting him...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • VexingArcanist
    VexingArcanist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why Breton? Is it that you just prefer a more Human appearance? If so I would go Imperial over Breton if thats what it boils down to.
  • Adventurer
    Adventurer
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have the Imperial upgrade. I'd like to play as a Breton due to lore, however I'd prefer to fight with bows/blades over a staff as I've already played a mag char with staves, so I want to try out new skills.

I was considering Redguard or a Khajiit, but RP-wise I really feel like rolling with a Breton. Right now I just plan on doing the story and public dungeons, maybe the trials eventually - but I haven't even done those on my main right now.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can play every class and playstyle with every race. There might be 1-10% differences in classes but it doesn't matter. Not even in high level end game content. Your race choice doesn't matter at all.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I was thinking switching to Breton (and making her Magblade) because I am incredibly squishy as Redguard Stamblade. I practically have no sustain and currently just went back to Cyro to get this bloody damn Vigor.
    Not sure it would solve my problem anyway...so I'll get this Vigor and keep on practising " staying alive". lol
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Adventurer
    Adventurer
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I can always go to Cyro and get Vigour in the IC or with zergs. I'm not opposed to PVP, I just can't do it well with my FPS.
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adventurer wrote: »
    Oh, I can always go to Cyro and get Vigour in the IC or with zergs. I'm not opposed to PVP, I just can't do it well with my FPS.

If you have Morrowind you can get it fast on battlegrounds too.
    Edited by Radinyn on February 16, 2018 10:50PM
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radinyn wrote: »

If you have Morrowind you can get it fast on battlegrounds too.

• Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sry for that above, sth bugged
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Nord Nightblade. It works very well in PVP and PVE. You don’t need the yolo swag meta race to do well.

I’m thinking Breton would be fine too.

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    actually if you go 5 medium/2 heavy with 5pc hundings and 5 pc markmans - you should be totally fine for what you want to do...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the passives are the only thing that would differ so factor that in but yes you can play as long as you’re not after min/max builds.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    One silver lining is you are a little bit more tanky against spell damage. Stamblades have shadow barrier and tend to add champion points in spell shield, and even then some people will yell at the top of their lungs at how squishy they feel. 3960 free spell resistance would stack on top of all the other spell resistance, cutting damage taken from spells down by approximately 20% compared to meta stamblades. Meta builds don't worry much about sort of thing, but it's something
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll add this separately, considering people choose a race for a class build and then ....we all know ZOS is going to keep making changes every 30-90 days to skills, passives and heck maybe even racial passives again

Pick what you like to look at and let the rest fall into place
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 16, 2018 11:50PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you too squishy as a nightblade, I'd look at your morphs. For DW, you should have Bloodthirst and Blood Craze morphs and use killer's blade as your execute. This along with 5pc Briarheart and 5pc Bahrah's Curse sets make for a very resilient Nightblade.

• notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moloch1514 wrote: »
    I'd say about 67% less effective than Redguard. That said, if you have high CP you could do almost 100% of Overland content as a solo Breton Stamblade.

Very very much misinformed. It's going to be worse but not by such a massive degree especially for the average player that is in Gering or Geared for trials. The average player is only going to hit 20k that's what you might see about 10% loss at most

Comparing argonians to orc with my own stam sorcs its about 5%
    Edited by notimetocare on February 17, 2018 12:39AM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can play a StamBlade on anything. Racial Passives don't make the Class, they're only nice little extras.

I have a Khajiit Sorcerer. I don't even have any skill points into the passive that increases Weapon Crit.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'll be less squishy with the resistances, but you will do significantly less damage than if you rolled stamblade with a BiS class (bearing in mind a 10% dps loss only ends up around a 2k-3k dps loss for most people). I think Breton is one of the good magblade options though, while Khajiit and Reguard are the top picks for stam.

As mentioned before though, you can get through all overland content with just about any set up. A mismatched race won't hurt you at all if you mostly want to do non-veteran end game content.
    Edited by Jhalin on February 17, 2018 12:45AM
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dude, you'll be fine as a Breton. Unless you are trying to top leaderboards, your race matter much less than your skill. And if all you are doing is overland, questing, and some Vet dungeons maybe, you'll be fine.
    PC/EU DC
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I'd like to do PVE, can I do a stamblade well?

How much worse off would a stamblade Breton be compared to an Orc or a Redguard?

it would be more useful in pvp but you could do it. compared to a redguard you lose about 2-4k stam depending on your stats and a bit of recovery. IF you already made it, i would try saving up to buy a race change... play it for the future and then one day race change
  • elantaura
    elantaura
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did for a long time I never wanted too but it was first year, and vet 16 was a PIA and we all wanted content done. No one in the group would cooperate except myself on Breton nightblade and my friend Templar.
    For reason - of which I can't remember I had to be a stamblade, I think as the DK was dead set on being dps, we had 4 DK friends but no one would tank I sort of off tanked befor it was a thing - it was kind of accidental. idk can't remember much more than that it worked at the time.
    Well I did surprisingly ok I did city of with group everyone saying you had to be far away became an issue untill I discovered I could stand and stab valkin in the but. Others died not the Breton our first complete I resed the Templar in piles of lave spits.There were a few times that magic resistance paid off.
    I did cyrodil to get vigor - when it was also a grind and it was at that time ( age of shield breaker and shield stacking) surprisingly good against sorcs. You could cloak longer ( once it was fixed as it was broken for a long time)
    I finally went back to mageblade which was much more fun. I missed the stamblade fun though and rolled a kajhit. I got to say the murdering power of a kajhit was something else lol - much better than Breton. But silly things like being on keep walls and hit with meteor hurt even killed me at times. Which I laughed off on a Breton and sorcs started hurting. One thing the breton had was it was good at killing sorcs. But still the kajhit could maim in general unlike my Breton.ironically there was one stage I was taking a keep in the last few days with a friend a bosmer mageblade. (Who had changed to learn VMA at the time and I went out for laughs before swap) we looked a bit of a mess. Happy with it now though being mageblade the way it is and would not swap again but that's my expierienced - again a long time ago so skills/sets have changed since.
    Edited by elantaura on February 17, 2018 3:37PM
    PS4 EU 1200+ cp - I enjoy RP, Housing, PVE and PVP

• Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very very much misinformed. It's going to be worse but not by such a massive degree especially for the average player that is in Gering or Geared for trials. The average player is only going to hit 20k that's what you might see about 10% loss at most

67% in ZOS' math (they switched from additive to multiplicative), so about 10-15% in real life. ;)
    PC-NA
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Play what you like! Unless you're into minmaxing and math, you're not going to lose a lot compared to Redguards or Orcs (or Khajiit/Bosmer/Imperials). Bretons' magicka bonuses let you get a few more cloaks when you're running around PvP and soloing, or some blurs in PvE content. It's a nice thing to have in your back pocket.

Source: I take my Breton vampire stamblade to vet dungeons and normal trials, and the spell resist is great when I'm in stage 4. My Elder Scrolls mains are always Bretons, and have been since TESIII when the magicka resist let me kind-of see while wearing the Boots of Blinding Speed. >:D
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

67% in ZOS' math (they switched from additive to multiplicative), so about 10-15% in real life. ;)

Still missinfomed. At most 10%, closer to 3-6%.
    One silver lining is you are a little bit more tanky against spell damage. Stamblades have shadow barrier and tend to add champion points in spell shield, and even then some people will yell at the top of their lungs at how squishy they feel. 3960 free spell resistance would stack on top of all the other spell resistance, cutting damage taken from spells down by approximately 20% compared to meta stamblades. Meta builds don't worry much about sort of thing, but it's something

The 3960 spell resistance you are talking about is exactly 6% damage reduction. 660 is 1%. Not 20%. And that is is you don't go over the 33100 spell resist cap.
    Nestor wrote: »
    I tried for about 18 months, off and on, to get my Breton Stamblade to work, not much success. Of course my main issue is I Sprint everywhere, and that does not help matters. I could pull decent DPS, but I could not sustain, and without Vigor, you really have no effective self heals as a Stamblade. Except maybe Leeching Strikes, but that is still not all that effective.

Once I made him a MagBlade, yeehaw, that's fun. Mobs just melt. And, self heals are no longer an issue.

I rolled a Khajiit Stamblade, and that is all together a different story.

If you were relying on heals as a stamblade, instead of playing to the classes strength, sneaking, of course you are going to have a bad time. I see this all the time, you don't need to heal if the mobs are already dead or stunned, which you have plenty of as a stamblade. As for not sustaining, you need to work on your rotation and heavy attack more.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest issue is the stamina sustain. A Breton won't have any. That means every time you fight, you'll run out of stamina really quickly.

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    The biggest issue is the stamina sustain. A Breton won't have any. That means every time you fight, you'll run out of stamina really quickly.

Lol "really quickly". 95% of your sustain comes from your sets, your food and most importantly, heavy attacks. If you don't know have to do a rotation and keep up your resourses with heavys, you are going to have crap dps anyways.
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can? Yes. Should? No.