The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can you play a Stamblade on a Breton?

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    Glurin wrote: »
    One silver lining is you are a little bit more tanky against spell damage. Stamblades have shadow barrier and tend to add champion points in spell shield, and even then some people will yell at the top of their lungs at how squishy they feel. 3960 free spell resistance would stack on top of all the other spell resistance, cutting damage taken from spells down by approximately 20% compared to meta stamblades. Meta builds don't worry much about sort of thing, but it's something

The 3960 spell resistance you are talking about is exactly 6% damage reduction. 660 is 1%. Not 20%. And that is is you don't go over the 33100 spell resist cap.

Nope, it's 10%, not 6% or 20%. I forgot it was 660=1%. Meta stamblades already have close to 18,500 spell resistance when they gain shadow barrier, which means they take 72% incoming spell damage. A Breton would have 22,460 resistance, which means they take 66% incoming damage. 72 is 10% bigger than 66.

you are looking at this very strange, that is some very purposely misleading data, though accurate, it is still only 6% spell mitigation. no more no less.

Have you never done the math for mitigation before? Say a person has 28% mitigation. Every 100 damage that comes their way, only 72 will be subtracted by their health. The health is decreased by 72.

They gain 6 percent more mitigation and now have 34%. Out of every 100 damage that comes their way, only 66 gets subtracted from health. What's 72-66, then divided by 66? OK it's 9.1% more damage taken by metablades then by Bretons in this stamblade case. Not 6%. The closer to 50% mitigation you get, the bigger the effect. Someone with 44% mitigation takes 12% more damage than someone with 50% mitigation, not 6%.

There is absolutely nothing misleading, it's just how mitigation works. When you say it's "exactly 6% damage reduction" the way you did, you're wrong

This, my friends, is why statistics are a joke. The people behind them pull this kind of crap all the time.

Someone with 44% mitigation takes 12% more damage than someone with 50% mitigation. Ok, fine. But that comparison is worth about as much as a turd in the hand. Why? Because your damage is not contingent on how much damage someone else is taking.

So what does matter? What stat actually has value?

6 points of damage. Not 12, which is the impression you want people to have when you spin figures together like you did. Just a 6 point difference for every 100 points of damage that comes in.

That's not the case though. Using your example, someone is at 44% mitigation with no Breton passives and gets hit for 100 damage. Then they put skill points into the Breton spell resistance passive to increase mitigation to 50%, and they get hit with the same attack again. It now does close to 88 damage, which is 12% lower than the original hit of 100.

Percentage of some arbitrary unmitigated hit value is irrelevant. What people care about is the change in damage taken with or without the Breton passive, which will always be >6%. I agree with @Bladerunner1 that 9% is a pretty typical value, and at the extreme best case it could be up to 12% if reaching mitigation cap.

No, you're just trying to confuse people. The baseline is 0% mitigation. Period. How much damage per 100 damage points will you take with 44% mitigation. 56 points. How much damage will you take with 50% mitigation. 50 points.

When you start with a baseline of how much damage someone else mitigates, you just inflate the difference and give people a false impression of just how much impact their stats actually make.

The damage you take does not depend on how much damage someone else takes. Therefore such comparisons are completely, 100% meaningless. Just because I'm in a group with someone who only has 44% mitigation does not mean my 50% let me prevent 56% of the damage I took. I kinda suck at math, but even I know that's not how math works.

The only thing that matters when you compare one build to another is damage you would expect to see in combat. Here's how the math works, outlined by an awesome theorycrafter

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-for-morrowind-new-calculator/p1

If a Redguard needs 9% more healing than a Breton to stay alive, that information is relevant. It just so happens that Redguards can self heal more due to having more stamina, there's a lot of factors at play.

you just cant stop misleading people. 6% spell resists is 6% spell resists. let it lie man.

Let me put it another way. The Breton passive spell resistance does more to reduce damage than the 8% damage reduction from minor protection. This is easy to check, just cast circle of protection and take damage. Then put points in the Breton passive and take damage from the same source (magic damage type) without using minor protection.

You can divide 3960 by 660 all you want, but due the way it is calculated the Breton passive is more than a 6% reduction in damage. The fact that is outperforms an 8% damage reduction demonstrates this pretty clearly.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 20, 2018 3:33PM
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recall reading, and it was also mentioned somewhere in the thread, that race choice == mid-high single digit percent DPS. Let's say 6%-7%-8%. Even 10%, let us suppose.

I would submit that in a majority of cases slash for the majority of players, this does not matter. Meaning, it matters if you run certain high endgame content or are in some sort of a competitive guild or are trying for the leaderboards. But this is not a large set, since, for example, ZOS has stated that only a modest proportion of players are at high CPs (which really cuts down on how many would run vHM pledges, for example).

For overland, normal dungeons, et cetera +/- 10% really does not matter. For vet dungeons and such, if you can pull 20k+ losing 2k off it won't be a deal breaker in my opinion (and if you can pull 30k+ you don't care). For vMA I'll just say there is an excellent guide somewhere on here for magicka classes that focuses on shields and self-healing (lightning-resto setup IIRC) with most of the actual damage done by Elemental Blockade and the destro ult, so you figure out the DPS implications there. So there is a whole heap of content, including once you're at 50, where you can get away with an Imperial Magsorc or a Breton Stamblade. Just as, to use a more blunt-instrument type of an example, there as a whole heap of content where one can get away with a single-bar-Snipe type of setup (though I wouldn't advise it beyond overland/normal dungeons, of course).

So at the end of the day, it depends on what the OP wants to do, really.

• Bucky Balls
    Bucky Balls
    ✭✭✭
    My first main character (almost 3yrs) is stam(max) nb breton. Makes a decent tank (essentially an ultimate factory); the higher base magicka adds utility/versatility. Since 1-tamriel overland content is pretty straightforward so I mostly use him to farm (fiords + darkstride) - very quick with impressive sustain. I'm rubbish as dd so can't offer advice/encouragement there.

Lots of fun, though.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My main is a Breton stamblade (wanted to make an archer, and got my build advice from a site that didn't mention the importance of min-maxing, and thought a stam attribute build with a bit of racial magicka would be great for a siphoning nightblade archer...) and, like others in this thread, I've done just fine with the content I've done.

PvE questing and pretty much anything you want to do solo will depend more on your experience and skill with the game mechanics (getting out of red, using range to your advantage, using your skills intelligently, etc.) than whether you can pump an extra 5% damage out of your optimized build. Personally I care more about being able to complete content than about number-crunching, and so far I've completed almost all of the questing in the game (still working on a couple of the DLCs) as well as doing vet group dungeons and normal trials. Looking for other ways to build up your character's strengths and counteract weaknesses (gear and skill choices, using food, etc.) will help a lot.

Since you brought it up, I wouldn't recommend doing a full magicka build if you want to use bows/duals. You'd gimp yourself too much on the weapon damage that fuels your physical attacks. It wouldn't be as big a deal at early levels with the scaling, but you'd definitely feel it more as you progressed.

Since you said that you care about the lore and story aspects of your character, I'll mention that after going through the DC questline and Coldharbour, I was very happy to have played through that alliance on my first character. Your takeaways from the questline might be different from mine, but if being a Breton does something for you RP-wise, I can endorse that choice.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, of course? You’ll lack some stats from racial passives, but you’ll still be a perfectly functional stamblade. I played stam for a couple months on FRIGHT back when she was a Breton because I wanted to play my main, but I wanted to learn stamblade. I think that was October-December-ish 2015. I did plenty well, loved stam, and rolled a proper race stamblade after.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • Adventurer
    Adventurer
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies! Yes, I plan on doing PVE only, and I'm not sure if raids/trials at all, so I'll just go with a Breton Stamblade and respec to a Magblade if needed. :) I'll be putting all of my points into stamina so it'll be a good stamblade.
  • JiKama
    JiKama
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well.... As a Breton you'll have increased Magicka regen which results in more Cloaks/Fears. You would also get the increased AP gained from PvP (if you decide to). Just play what you like and enjoy yourself. If you prefer the looks of a certain race then play them. If you're not worried about min/maxing then enjoy your breton stamblade :smiley:
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    technically, yes.

on practice, no.
  • Adventurer
    Adventurer
    ✭✭✭
    JiKama wrote: »
    Well.... As a Breton you'll have increased Magicka regen which results in more Cloaks/Fears. You would also get the increased AP gained from PvP (if you decide to). Just play what you like and enjoy yourself. If you prefer the looks of a certain race then play them. If you're not worried about min/maxing then enjoy your breton stamblade :smiley:

How would you get more AP from PVP? By being able to kill more people?
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they'd remove racial passives myself.
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I did this for like 3 years, but eventually went magblade.
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Adventurer wrote: »
    JiKama wrote: »

How would you get more AP from PVP? By being able to kill more people?

Breton racial passive gives them a 1% AP gain boost.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zardayne wrote: »
    I wish they'd remove racial passives myself.
    Or allow us to pick them or morph them.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can play a Breton as a stamina character, but your character will be noticeably weaker compared to stamina characters that use the stamina races (orc, wood elf, redguard, imperial ... khajiit as well, although they can be either stamina or magicka now).
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could play stamblade on a baboon if it was a playable race.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you ever forget to eat food when you adventure? How badly does that hamper you? Racial passives, taken together, probably have somewhat less value than blue or purple food.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrzMOHE.jpg
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and youll be better looking
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moloch1514 wrote: »
    I'd say about 67% less effective than Redguard. That said, if you have high CP you could do almost 100% of Overland content as a solo Breton Stamblade.

Brulo Bloodletter would like to disagree
  • SirPilky
    SirPilky
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you can run a Breton Stamblade, it won't be optimal but it'll do the job in any content if you learn to play :-D
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleared everything with my Breton Stam DK, including Former Emperor. Never cared for scores but I know guys who made to the top with misfit races. If you can leave with the thought of always being behind and skipped over the perfect race/class combo you will be fine.
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can play any race with any class / setup and still do reasonably well but don’t expect to be hitting high DPS scores or leaderboard scores unless you run something like Orc, Redguard or Khajiit.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn’t think to say my main is a Breton stamblade check out my 1vxs on yt Breton stamblade actually very good for magic sustain. Hopefully some day I can morph my racial passives 🙂
  • BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I'd like to do PVE, can I do a stamblade well?

How much worse off would a stamblade Breton be compared to an Orc or a Redguard?

It really depends how skilled and experienced you are as a player. If you're just starting out, you're not gonna get the best out of your class for quite some time anyway. It's only when you're near the top of your game and you want to start pushing into progression raiding (or hardcore PvP) that you rly need to consider your race.

At the end of the day, you should play what works best for you, not what other people tell you to play.
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, play as breton magblade. i started as breton stamblade and it was awful. i switched to magblade and it was so much better. if you want to do stamblade, do it as redguard or orc (or wood elf...i have a wood elf double bow stamblade and he's not bad. still leveling him though)
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the Imperial upgrade. I'd like to play as a Breton due to lore, however I'd prefer to fight with bows/blades over a staff as I've already played a mag char with staves, so I want to try out new skills.

I was considering Redguard or a Khajiit, but RP-wise I really feel like rolling with a Breton. Right now I just plan on doing the story and public dungeons, maybe the trials eventually - but I haven't even done those on my main right now.

This is how I started with my Breton nightblade. Back then I was a newbie, so I had no idea which race is good for certain roles, but also when I started the game was new and I did not know which set-up I will play (stam/mag).

So I played a stamina nightblade breton because this is how I invested my skill points and leveled my abilities. I think I played like this for a year or more :) I did dungeons, even some easy trials. I do not think it matters so much, except for end game content. I do not think it is that bad, like someone said earlier... 67% worse... There are a lot of CP to compensate.

My nightblade is magicka now. I gave her gear to my stamplar (relequen, vicious ophidian, leviathan), but sometimes I miss playing the stamblade.

The most important thing is to have fun with the char you like, and if that means having a redguard mage or a breton stamblade, go for it :)
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How much worse off would a stamblade Breton be compared to an Orc or a Redguard?

Yeah you are fine.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish we could pick racial passives or morph them.
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say, be a dunmer. You can easily switch from being a stamina player to a magicka one. Also, they have good racials.

If it's beauty your looking for, then they are quite pretty. ( females)
    noble_family_portrait_by_velena_gorosama_db6506s-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTA5OSIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzE0ZGM4MjMyLTI0N2QtNDgyYS1iMzQwLWY0NThmOGYzYjBhN1wvZGI2NTA2cy0zNjZhODZjNS0wOGUyLTQyNzAtOThhZi05OWMzYTI2ODIzYWYuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTkwMCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.SqfqDgwp4RD6hiLVMVM3A-NKQLFlEn3PlndQPir1OPc
    Edited by Vanos444 on August 21, 2019 10:34PM
  • zarocco26
    zarocco26
    ✭✭
    Yes, you can play any combination of things and do fine. It's better to play a race that has racial synergies with the spec you want to play, but for generic PvE, sure go nuts, do your thing. However, if you plan on playing this game even at the "casual-core" level (vDLC's, HM, vTrials), you will not be optimal at your role. The good news is leveling a character to 50 in this game is not very hard, so play the way you want with your main, focus on solo stuff, normal dungeons ect, and if you decide that you want more out of the game, level an alt. I have characters for progression, that are optimized for that role, but I also have a character thats a Psijic monk that uses hand to hand combat, light armor and only psijic skills (for fun/RP/lore, but I would NEVER subject other people to that and bring him into group content. I pretty much only use him for gathering mats and punching overland mobs.