The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tank gear - End game trials , PvE etc - Don't have backbar Alkosh what to use instead?

WhoSlappedThePie
WhoSlappedThePie
✭✭✭
As the title says, I have the following ready for my tank to use but I don't have backbar Alkosh shield, I only have backbar dagger (front bar Sword & Shield) - What can I use instead?

Torugs body pieces x5
Alkosh 3x jewellery
Alkosh Sword (Front Bar)
Alkosh Shield (Front Bar)
Alkosh Dagger (Back Bar)

Don't have shield for the back bar so I would only get Alkosh 4 piece bonus when I switch which sucks but what could I use instead? I have a Maelstrom Shield.

I aim to farm Ebon set also so I can use Ebon & Alkosh / Torugs & Alkosh.

Thanks
"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."

Current Toons (Max CP):
Magsorc Breton
Magblade Darkelf
Stam DK Redguard
Healer Templar High Elf
Tank DK Argonian
Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frost staff
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the Ebon + Alkosh or Ebon + Torug's would be a good combo.
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    Update-

So I have Torugs, alkosh and some ebon and alkosh too, but I still use maelstrom shield back bar. It all seems to work pretty good, not dying at all in most vet content . Still curious as to what I should use on the back bar or if Maelstrom is pretty much best until I get another Alkosh shield?

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can I ask, why is Torug's such an important set for tanks? And what enchant would you use with it?
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭

Can I ask, why is Torug's such an important set for tanks? And what enchant would you use with it?

Good survivability and the cooldown bonus which works well with infused crusher / weakening

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Torug's is emerging as a lesser strength but more reliable debuff than Alkosh that doesn't require running trials in order to get. You use it with the crusher/weakening glyphs for excellent uptime on the debuff. Alkosh is still really good as long as you have good uptime with the debuff, make no mistake. Its just that Torug's is acceptable in comparison and much more accessible, so its emerging as a strong addition to tanking gear.
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a Frost Staff back bar, so I never have it. Just make sure you're synergizing on the front bar. Personally, I use a Master Staff, but thats more for PvP reasons where clench is very handy.
    I also prefer Ebon / Torug's though, because Blockade procs Chusher making for huge up times and means I can just as easily apply my effects even if I'm Off-Tank without stealing resources from the Main Tank.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Torug's is emerging as a lesser strength but more reliable debuff than Alkosh that doesn't require running trials in order to get. You use it with the crusher/weakening glyphs for excellent uptime on the debuff. Alkosh is still really good as long as you have good uptime with the debuff, make no mistake. Its just that Torug's is acceptable in comparison and much more accessible, so its emerging as a strong addition to tanking gear.

But doesn't Pierce Armor already debuff resistances? Or is it cause they stack?
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never put Ebon on weapon/shield slots. When you bar-swap, it causes health fluctuations for your teammates. Even worse is running Ebon on just one bar. Every time you swap to back bar, people will lose the Ebon buff, and then they'll have to be healed back to the Ebon health when you swap back. That also messes with SPC uptime since SPC requires that people be at full health, and this causes health see-sawing.

Anyway, I'll echo what others have said about having an ice staff back bar. The ability to interrupt from range with Crushing Shock on your back bar is very valuable, particularly in newer content like Halls of Fabrication and the upcoming Dragon Bones dungeons.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'd definitely run a frost staff on the back, or run a maelstrom sword and board and put heroic slash on the back so you get some extra resources back on heavy attack.
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Never put Ebon on weapon/shield slots. When you bar-swap, it causes health fluctuations for your teammates. Even worse is running Ebon on just one bar. Every time you swap to back bar, people will lose the Ebon buff, and then they'll have to be healed back to the Ebon health when you swap back. That also messes with SPC uptime since SPC requires that people be at full health, and this causes health see-sawing.

Anyway, I'll echo what others have said about having an ice staff back bar. The ability to interrupt from range with Crushing Shock on your back bar is very valuable, particularly in newer content like Halls of Fabrication and the upcoming Dragon Bones dungeons.

I really wish someone had [snip] told me that before I golded out my sword n board.

[Edited to remove profanity-masking]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on February 6, 2018 8:38PM
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    So it would be good for like, Masters Frost staff? Or Maelstrom?

That means more farming. Ugh >.< Or is it not TOO important what frost staff it is?

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

• ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I really wish someone had [snip] told me that before I golded out my sword n board.

I've never run snb Ebon, largely for this reason, but I thought they finally fixed that Ebon bar swap issue some patches ago...

[Edited for quote]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on February 6, 2018 8:39PM
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never run snb Ebon, largely for this reason, but I thought they finally fixed that Ebon bar swap issue some patches ago...

They did, the Ebon bar swap you're think of was that you used the not get its effect AT ALL on the back bar. It was bagged out to only work on 1 bar, and that is fixed.

@datoliteb16_ESO I wouldn't worry about it that much. The true reason to run Ebon body is that the other meta armor set is medium. As long as you're running at least 5 heavy body it's all good. Personally, I run Ebon + Torug's with Heavy Feet, Legs, Chest, shoulder, head, medium hands, light waist, because that is the max stats possible. Hands and waist armor piece have the lowest 2 armor values, and Torug's 2 piece spell damage is worth more to me than Alkosh 2+4 piece weapon damage + critical.
    So it would be good for like, Masters Frost staff? Or Maelstrom?

That means more farming. Ugh >.< Or is it not TOO important what frost staff it is?
    I run a Master, but it has no added value in PvE. I rarely heavy so a VMA would have litte effect. Because Torug's 4 piece is spell Resistance and I'm already capped than that doesnt help. Thats what I would go by if you're going to back bar Frost, does the 4 piece add anything, if not then run what ever you want. Asylum would probably be the most added value, but how often are you actually running Crushing and using it often enough to trigger the effect?

[Edited for quote]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on February 6, 2018 8:39PM
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

• WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm going to stick with 1h & shield on both bars.

So I now have torug 5x alkosh (with weapon/shield) 5x and now Ebon 5x for off-tank I guess.

I can't run torug & ebon as I don't have the weapons, only Alkosh weapons. Most builds I've seen/been explained to include alkosh & torug or alkosh & ebon (off tank?)

Is this the case? I seem to be handled most content fine, just haven't tanked any Vet trials yet, only normal.

Also, Lord Warden for off tank? Or could both tanks use Bloodspawn? Thanks

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't run torug & ebon as I don't have the weapons
    Um, Torug is craftable. You'll be using Torug 1h-and-shield.

These are what I consider the ideal setups.

Ebon+Alkosh (6-1-0):
    • Ebon: 1p jewelry, 4p armor (chest, legs, feet, and hands)
    • Alkosh: 2p jewelry, 1p armor (waist), 2p 1h-and-shield
    (I prefer this over the more common 5p Ebon armor and 3p Alkosh jewelry because I prefer 6H-1M over 7H, esp. since the heavy resistance on the waist--the weakest slot in the game--is pretty much wasted.)

Ebon+Torug (5-1-1):
    • Ebon: 3p jewelry, 2p armor (any two of: chest, legs, or feet)
    • Torug: 3p armor (light waist, medium hands, and one heavy of chest, legs, or feet), 2p 1h-and-shield

Torug+Alkosh (5-1-1):
    • Alkosh: 3p jewelry, 2p 1h-and-shield
    • Torug: 5p armor (light waist, medium hands, heavy chest, legs, and feet)

I keep the gear pieces necessary to run any of these three combinations.
    It depends on the content. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Blood Spawn and just use Warden for most things. Even if there are no melee DPS around you, the resistance from Warden is still nice for you. The helm choice is pretty much content-dependent, though. For example, OT for vHoF is best off using Blood Spawn for better ulti (except on bosses 1 and 4, where there is no OT-MT distinction and Warden makes more sense). OT for vAS is best off using Earthgore.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    OK great, thanks for the info! :)

I just need to get lord wardens, I'll have to just get the 3p ebon jewellery as I go as I hate farming that place... it's so boring.

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

• Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebon+Alkosh (6-1-0):
    (I prefer this over the more common 5p Ebon armor and 3p Alkosh jewelry because I prefer 6H-1M over 7H, esp. since the heavy resistance on the waist--the weakest slot in the game--is pretty much wasted.)

Ebon+Torug (5-1-1):
    • Torug: 3p armor (light waist, medium hands, and one heavy of chest, legs, or feet), 2p 1h-and-shield

Torug+Alkosh (5-1-1):

It depends on the content. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Blood Spawn and just use Warden for most things. Even if there are no melee DPS around you, the resistance from Warden is still nice for you. The helm choice is pretty much content-dependent, though. For example, OT for vHoF is best off using Blood Spawn for better ulti (except on bosses 1 and 4, where there is no OT-MT distinction and Warden makes more sense). OT for vAS is best off using Earthgore.

This is all very useful. I'm assuming this is the setup you'd use for trials?

Just a couple of questions:
    -Is magplar viable at all with this setup? Let's say, with heavy shields? I'm not expecting a resounding yes... lol
    -I assume if using Torug's, you want an Infused sword with Crushing enchant?
    -What are your other traits/enchants on armor/shield and jewelry?
    -With Lord Warden, are you trying to shoot for about 30k resistances? More or less?

Thanks, this is a huge help!
    Edited by Datolite on February 7, 2018 3:10PM
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebon+Alkosh (6-1-0):

Ebon+Torug (5-1-1):

Torug+Alkosh (5-1-1):

This is all very useful. I'm assuming this is the setup you'd use for trials?

Just a couple of questions:
    -Is magplar viable at all with this setup? Let's say, with heavy shields? I'm not expecting a resounding yes... lol
    -I assume if using Torug's, you want an Infused sword with Crushing enchant?
    -What are your other traits/enchants on armor/shield and jewelry?
    -With Lord Warden, are you trying to shoot for about 30k resistances? More or less?

Thanks, this is a huge help!

- Templars have a hard time with sustain, having no sources while blocking and without dead bodies. They also are missing the crowd control, which is bigger in 4 man content then trials. Otherwise that BoL /HtD is very very nice, and they can deftly handle the damage.
    - Whatever sets you run, you want Crusher on the front, and wreaking on the back. Everything else you'll want sturdy. Although Wardens can get away with one or two other pieces (at least pne Dragon Bones)
    - Resistance cap is 33150. There is zero point in going over it in PvE. Each 6k is roughly 10% damage mitigation. Not every tank goes for cap. I do and I feel the difference if I come up short. At just 28k solo pull of vS0 Mantakora mob pull becomes a healing race instead of just a laugh.

In comparison to the previous good advise reply, my set up.
    - I run group support Torug's+ Ebon+ Lord Warden 5+1+1 with light waist and medium hands (the two lowest resistant pieces)
    - Prismatic on everything Divines head, infused legs, the rest sturdy (recommend all sturdy) I also back bar Frost staff (WITHOUT the Tri Focus passive) and I'm an Altmer Warden
    - Selfish set up Plague Doctors+ Desert Rose+ Lord Warden 6+1 light shoulders
    - If you're going to go 6+1 go with light. Light armor passives are useful, mediums are not.

Couple of my videos on my profile, if you want to see it in action.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice. I am altering my end-game build mostly based on this thread, thanks again.