Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Update 17 Brings Greater Teamwork and Tactics to ESO’s Combat"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Update 17 Brings Greater Teamwork and Tactics to ESO’s Combat. Update 17 introduces a host of changes to ESO's combat that emphasizes smart teamwork and tactical play. Learn everything you need to know about the changes coming to combat in this latest article.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all sounds fantastic and really great espically the synergy stuff. But why do I feel like I have to relearn how to play the game every patch.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Sawzallz
    Sawzallz
    ✭✭✭
    So now I'm going to get full magika pool from 1 heavy attacks :D
    Edited by Sawzallz on February 7, 2018 3:48PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    It all sounds fantastic and really great espically the synergy stuff. But why do I feel like I have to relearn how to play the game every patch.

... said the person who's forum handle is "reborn"? :smiley:

I generally don't feel that I need to relearn every Update, but it is not unusual to have to make changes to adapt.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Synergy and AoE Cap Removal changes are very good. Other stuff doesnt make a lot of sense tho, those permablockers in cyrodiil definitely needed a buff :trollface:
    Edited by Alcast on February 7, 2018 4:17PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really good read, this format will help alot of players.

I always check the patch notes, but most guild mates don't. It's too much for alot of more casual console players etc so presenting the changes like this makes an easy read (and share) for all.

Nice job ZOS
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job on the removal of AOE caps!!
    After reading the article, I guess I am not the only person who uses quotes :smile:
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synergy improvements/buffs are absolutely awesome! They’ve been broken for so long now that in most content people ignore the synergy button altogether. Also very nice to see AoE Caps go away which has been complained about by practically everyone since it was implemented.

However, I don’t really agree with the interrupt changes. The counterplay to cast-time skills was to interrupt them. It was gameplay that rewarded skill and paying attention to your opponents every move. When you cast your own interruptabe skills, you had to cast them intelligently and not at times where you could easily be bashed/interrupted. Now a CC-immune target will be able to cast them all they want..... maybe it’ll work out, but atm it sounds like we’re just simplifying combat in a way that no one asked for.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like the synergies and they needed fixing but AOE caps never should have been there anyway so nice of you to give us what we have wanted. The rest just will make good players better and bad players worse which you intended the opposite.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maddie%2BEye%2Bof%2Bthe%2BStorm.JPG
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope it wont end like always - removed aoe caps instead of decrease lags will increase it.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't comment too extensively on the combat changes since that's not my specialty, but I'm really happy with how much back-and-forth there seemed to be between testers and the development team this PTS cycle. Nothing combat-related felt off limits for feedback and it looked like there were some real and substantive changes based on the analysis of some of our combat gurus in the game. Thanks to everyone who helped on that!

The only thing I can really comment on is the AoE caps and how that's going to affect PvP. I think this is a good change, but I think we're reaching, or have already reached, the upper limit on how much people are really going to be spreading out. We already don't have the "ball groups" in the style of yesteryear. Nobody is stacking tight all on the same point in space. At this point, casting even a large AoE like Caltrops into a group isn't likely to hit more than 10 people at once, and that's in the best-case scenario where people are literally stacking in a flag room. Now that's still an important change, since as I recall there was a damage dropoff after six players hit, but I don't think it's going to be the gamechanger that people were looking for.

We are still going to have huge numbers of people showing up to the same keep. We are still going to have coordinated guilds schooling the less-organized and the less-experienced. We're not going to all suddenly pair off into dueling circles at every fight and single-target each other down. I just hope that, with the long-awaited removal of AoE caps, people will finally realize that if you want to fight coordinated groups you need to be in one yourself. You aren't going to get a sudden burst of combat inspiration and AoE coordinated players down on your own with a few lucky impulse spams. You need teamwork.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least they're buffing sustain and making synergies easier to use.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Off-balance is still too short to reliably react to it....

PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the upcoming changes are good, some are not - but it's amusing to watch them try and put a positive spin on every change, even the bad ones lol. That was a good read.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Do I cast this high-damage ability, or do I use my Heavy Attack to get a load of resources?"

Yes, stop the speed of the combat, everyone asked for that because Morrowind was such a success in the combat department. Get a grip, Wrobel.
    #MOREORBS
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    I can't comment too extensively on the combat changes since that's not my specialty, but I'm really happy with how much back-and-forth there seemed to be between testers and the development team this PTS cycle. Nothing combat-related felt off limits for feedback and it looked like there were some real and substantive changes based on the analysis of some of our combat gurus in the game. Thanks to everyone who helped on that!

The only thing I can really comment on is the AoE caps and how that's going to affect PvP. I think this is a good change, but I think we're reaching, or have already reached, the upper limit on how much people are really going to be spreading out. We already don't have the "ball groups" in the style of yesteryear. Nobody is stacking tight all on the same point in space. At this point, casting even a large AoE like Caltrops into a group isn't likely to hit more than 10 people at once, and that's in the best-case scenario where people are literally stacking in a flag room. Now that's still an important change, since as I recall there was a damage dropoff after six players hit, but I don't think it's going to be the gamechanger that people were looking for.

We are still going to have huge numbers of people showing up to the same keep. We are still going to have coordinated guilds schooling the less-organized and the less-experienced. We're not going to all suddenly pair off into dueling circles at every fight and single-target each other down. I just hope that, with the long-awaited removal of AoE caps, people will finally realize that if you want to fight coordinated groups you need to be in one
    Recremen wrote: »

We are still going to have huge numbers of people showing up to the same keep. We are still going to have coordinated guilds schooling the less-organized and the less-experienced. We're not going to all suddenly pair off into dueling circles at every fight and single-target each other down. I just hope that, with the long-awaited removal of AoE caps, people will finally realize that if you want to fight coordinated groups you need to be in one yourself. You aren't going to get a sudden burst of combat inspiration and AoE coordinated players down on your own with a few lucky impulse spams. You need teamwork.

Just curious what changes they reverted, in terms of PvE?
    PC-NA
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moloch1514 wrote: »

Just curious what changes they reverted, in terms of PvE?

The thing I specifically remember related to synergy timing. Turns out only getting shards/orbs every 30 seconds was gonna be a bad time.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading that this game sounds amazing, until you play it. Would love to see the dev server where all this clever stuff works.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good idea to write an article like this but a huge chunk of gameplay has been gone from PVP when you guys removed AOE animations. Any chance we can get an option for that? Or are we going to have more and more animations removed for the sake of more flashy mounts?
    Edited by Ankael07 on February 7, 2018 9:10PM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • WatchYourSixx
    WatchYourSixx
    ✭✭✭✭
    A heavy attack takes about 2 seconds to complete on a Magicka staff user. If off balance is up for only 5 seconds, our "reaction" at most can give two fully charged heavy attacks for resource return. Assuming you're not 100% paying attention to exactly when off balance is reapplied, you'll most likely only get to cast one heavy attack during this time. How is this supposed to be a good thing for resource return??
    The only thing to fear is, fear itself. - FDR

CP 800
    PC NA

- Maximus the Marksman (AD) Temp
    - Rex the Unstoppable Force (DC) DK
    - Sodor Dragonfire (DC) DK
    - Masha'Dar Shadow-Paw (DC) NB
    - Magnus the Mage (DC) Sorc
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    Good idea to write an article like this but a huge chunk of gameplay has been gone from PVP when you guys removed AOE animations. Any chance we can get an option for that? Or are we going to have more and more animations removed for the sake of more flashy mounts?

you can enable them in the options, they were set as default, as removed, to help with performance in places like cyrodiil, during large battles
    Edited by Arobain on February 7, 2018 9:52PM
  • Bajatar
    Bajatar
    ✭✭✭
    "Block More, Block Often", unless you're a tank and rely on blocking as part of your core gameplay. In that case it's the exact opposite.

It's hard to get behind these nerfs which seem to solely cater to the PvP crowd. Especially as tanks are already at a disadvantage in most aspects of the game. I guess they feel there are still too many tanks in the dungeon queue.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arobain wrote: »
    Ankael07 wrote: »

you can enable them in the options, they were set as default, as removed, to help with performance in places like cyrodiil, during large battles

That option only works outside Cyrodiil
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A heavy attack takes about 2 seconds to complete on a Magicka staff user. If off balance is up for only 5 seconds, our "reaction" at most can give two fully charged heavy attacks for resource return. Assuming you're not 100% paying attention to exactly when off balance is reapplied, you'll most likely only get to cast one heavy attack during this time. How is this supposed to be a good thing for resource return??

Shock takes 3ish seconds, and the flame is even longer. I wish it was only 2.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Block? Who blocks?

I have Asperger's, subtleties are lost on me, especially when I'm freaking out in a fight situation. For me, combat is strictly "beat on them 'til they die." (or I do)
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • BaronBlake
    BaronBlake
    ✭✭
    Greatly appreciated ZoS. I love the tactical combat and teamwork this game offers. It is much fun!
    Fixes and tweaks, balances with great challenge is what I like to see! Well done!

-Friend
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well that reads fantastic at first gloom, BUT
    then i read on, and I read on
    and saw that much AoE gets buffed, JUST
    none Stamina-based AoE!!!! WHY!!!
    you just forgot? @ZOS_Wrobel
    or just want stamina based gameplay to die forever????
    PLS let us know why you hate staminabased gameplay that much???