The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The gapcloser damage nerf is a band-aid fix that does not adress the main issue.

felipenepub17_ESO
The gap-closer damage nerf does not make sense. The main issue of gap-closers is the perma-snare.

Many top-tier PVPers are not using gap-closers anymore because having a gap-closer in their bar is a DPS loss and there are so many more important skills when playing a stam bluid. They don´t have problems in chasing ranged builds by only using snare immunity and major expedition buffs. Using a gap-closer is not something required to do as a stamina player anymore on PVP.

The only gap-closer in the game that is spamable is ambush. Just set a minimum distance for ambush like for every gap-closer and problem fixed.

The damage output of gap-closers was never the problem. The issue is the snare that comes with it that is almost unbearable and make ppl die while they are being hit by other players in without having a way to escape or clean the snare. Furthermore, even if someone spams maximum distance critical rush (by the way, something like that is impossible) the DPS will be lower than spaming dizzying swing, surprise attack or jabs.

Gapclosers are very important for niches builds that do not use Dizzying Swing or Surprise Attack (check out Jackdaniell´s playstyle and stam builds). This nerf will make gapclosers completely unusable, thus hitting build diversity. Couple more patches like this one and everyone will be using the same set and same skills.

I apologize if I a committed some grammar error. English is not my main language
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Out of curiosity... what did they nerf?
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Minalan
      Minalan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »
      Out of curiosity... what did they nerf?

They cut the damage on all gap closer skills.

That, instead of cutting the range, increasing the cost, or removing the snare on them.
    • Lord-Otto
      Lord-Otto
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      It was never supposed to give ranged builds options to poke from afar or 1vX'ers the ability to kite zergs. The game is far too zerg-friendly for that.
      This was just to give you a little bit more fighting time and maybe kill a player in that window, nothing more.
    • GreenSoup2HoT
      GreenSoup2HoT
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      They need to reduce all gap closers to 8 meters. 20 meters plus is insane. should call gap closers triple jump closers.
      PS4 NA DC
    • HeroOfNone
      HeroOfNone
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The snare was put in to help deal with network latency, but gap closers often were used in certain high damage combos. In addition to this they have been consistently abused.

I think the first thing to do with gap closers is to disassociate them from a large and let then hit everyone in its path. After that, keep the damage low but add in buffs/debuffs to improve its utility.

This should remove the need for a snare while still giving a way to get in close. This would mean less lag (caculating between where you gap closed to use others), less exploiting over gaps & through doors, and more skill in using it. Of course some closers like chains and ambush. Most of the others could simple set movement abilities.
      Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
      Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
    • felipenepub17_ESO
      HeroOfNone wrote: »
      The snare was put in to help deal with network latency, but gap closers often were used in certain high damage combos. In addition to this they have been consistently abused.

I think the first thing to do with gap closers is to disassociate them from a large and let then hit everyone in its path. After that, keep the damage low but add in buffs/debuffs to improve its utility.

This should remove the need for a snare while still giving a way to get in close. This would mean less lag (caculating between where you gap closed to use others), less exploiting over gaps & through doors, and more skill in using it. Of course some closers like chains and ambush. Most of the others could simple set movement abilities.

The dmg of gap closers is just fine. No one die from gap closer spaming. Every dmg spamable skill do more dmg than gap closers. But there are builds and playstyles that are made around gap closers and don´t use dyzzing swing or surprise attack. They are not OP and not meta, but will be destroyed if gap closers are nerfed, specifically critical rush.

Many stam classes do just fine or better using a meta build without gapclosers like stam warden, stamplar and NB. On the other hand, stamina sorcs need critical rush badly for doing combos, since they lack class damage abilities. The nerf of critical rush will be a major nerf to the majority of stam sorcs who play PVP, because most play 2H builds.
    • NyassaV
      NyassaV
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      They need to reduce all gap closers to 8 meters. 20 meters plus is insane. should call gap closers triple jump closers.

What? No? Reduce the damage done but increase the range so that I have a reason to slot it
      Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
      She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
    • DeadlyRecluse
      DeadlyRecluse
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      As long as most ranged moves only have a 28 meter range and most gap closers have a 22 meter range, the idea that range has some kind of advantage over melee will continue to be pretty farcical (in PvP).

Good luck kiting melee builds while doing ranged damage and staying precisely in that 6 meter band where you have an advantage.

Snipe is the one obvious exception.
      Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    • Koolio
      Koolio
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      If only GAp closers actually worked I personally wouldn’t care it they did any damage at all. But for me to spam it 3-4 times and never actually work but consume stamina is ridiculous. I’ve had times where 6-8 none of them work. Then it finally goes off but never actually connects.