The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

If this was how ESO was made, would you be more drawn to play it?

NewBlacksmurf
NewBlacksmurf
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Many of us through polls, discussions, comments and even social media may talk about what is vs what could’ve been.

I wanted to take a stab at what I envisioned after playing ESO for a few years from the start having also played Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and other games alike.

Visuals: I wouldn’t change anything in the base design. I would tighten up some artwork and offer additional option of what to show and hide.

-flaps
-head
-shoulders

Races:
-No changes to what’s available
-I would’ve kept a strict Oblivion racial passive

Classes:
-I would not have classes at all.
-I would establish the trinity in a pure sense without restrictions.

Combat:
-Absolutely no skills like now
-I would have abilities which are more of enhanced versions of Oblivion and Skyrim
-These would be weapon specific and offhand
-In order to incorporate the server type MMO, these would still keep the “button” or “bar” feel
-There would not be stamina and magicka types but instead weapon that use durability, soul gems, and enchantments
-Off hand would be more of the Oblivion type that was played as Skyrim

-PvP:
So this would be entirely different.....
While Cyrodil would exist, everything wouldn’t be in a campaign. Cyrodil would be an area that allows PvP however it would be a PvE zone with quests and objectives just like the other zones.

The difference is it would be more accessible for siege and other combat types. We would not have a campaign queue, at all.

They way it would work is Players would “play the game” all online with the choice of “solo/Co-op” or “Live”

To explain further....
Solo/Co-Op means a persistent world where players only see themselves or those within their selected Co-Op instance up to let’s say 1500 members or so

Live is just a server like other MMO server based games

What’s important is the Co/Op would or may allow some user based settings because everyone isn’t open to PvE and or PvE in some or all cases (this would even mean a full PvP or PvE experience)

-There would be an actual Crime/Punishment/Jail iteration but not any enforcer system. This would be NPC enforced logic

Crafting:
-O K first off the motif stuff would be GONE!
-As a crafter you would have access to any and all style seen in the game immediately through an apprenticeship concept.
-As a crafter material gathering would not align as X materials falls under y levels. Any material could be used for any level but access to a material and the level of a crafted item would relate to refinement quality and quantity.

Apprenticeship would mean that as you make items, you can choose to move to another city and or town to research additional styles. These cities and town would replace motif pages and books entirely. There would be a reputation unlock that can be a mixed progression from quests, crafting, gold which means that any can progress and unlock these not just one and not some of this and more of that.

-There would not be any traits
-There would be jewelry
-There would not be sets, however the constellations or what we call CP system would instead be aligned under crafting as passives.

-enchanting would drastically change. While i would keep the gathering aspect, enchanting would be under wood working, BS and Cloth

Jewelry would replace the enchanting crafting as it makes more sense that gathering tunes, stones and precious items work towards jewelry while enchanting makes more sense for constellations with soul gems.

-Provisioning
Revitalize so that a recipe is a recipe and the benefits are scaled vs set and limited to a level

Mounts:
There would be mounts in the wild that fall under a taming concept. This would mix with crafting and housing so that once tamed, the mount can get stronger using housing if you hire a stable NPC.

The mounts would be available to sale to other characters and eggs, infants, etc would come from dungeons, trials or quests so as to allow you to sale or raise the mount.

*It still would instantly cast cause that’s QoL, sorry RPers.

Lastly housing:
-As mentioned above housing would be very different. It would have a strong purpose to actual gameplay.

Housing would work in two ways
1. But existing location seen in the world (like today) but different.
2. Buy a plot of land in a number of housing zones (see reference to Dark Age of Camelot housing communities)

In scenario 1, depending on what and where, determine what you can do

In scenario 2 ......

Craft house like Skyrim (add multiple templates by room) with a choice of 100 different foundation options that mix and match (allows for OMG what is this or....OMG that’s awesome)

The housing features would contain
-Stables for holding and raising up mounts (your own - account based)
-Crafting where you would either be the crafter or you’d hire BS, WW, Jeweler and Provisioner, etc (account based )
-Storage in the basic understanding
-Full access banker, merchant, Bard
-Training (not a target dummy but actual training....think of hired NPCs)

Guilds:
-These would be completely different entirely.
Instead of 5 guilds, you’d have access to 25 Co-Ops or server types

This means instead of trying to find ppl to do X and or Y, there would be options to chat in the Co-Op via filters set by the admin and assistant admins.

Lastly.....No cash shops at all.....
DLC is either sold

Or

Subscribed for access

No NA and EU server it’s actually a mega server via live or Co-Op (sorry just make the decision or form a large co-op)

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on January 31, 2018 8:10PM
-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501

If this was how ESO was made, would you be more drawn to play it? 127 votes

Yes
10%
GilvothNewBlacksmurfIruil_ESOKanedaSyndromeStovahkiinAliyavanaRupzSkoomalogarifmikRANKK7Electrone_MagnusRiddariSkyIsTheLimit1206huschdeguddzje 13 votes
No
77%
DeadlyRecluseAcrolasjluchauDarcyMardinopajwenchmore420b14_ESOPendrillionDanikatDhukathjedtb16_ESOaubrey.baconb16_ESONebthet78FoxhuntidkJasonSilverSpringSoulPTRev Riellewsmith97ub17_ESOxenowarrior92eb17_ESORavenSworn 99 votes
Maybe yes
7%
FaulgorMgghoolReverseVenomLady_LindelMAEKcoop500kiyoshigawaHurtfanGaramant 9 votes
Morris no
4%
MilwaukeeScottRunefangAeorathShezzarrinePrincess_Cirinotyuu 6 votes
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Well.. For me its really difficult to return to previous TES games because of how bland and simplistic their combat is. I mean, yes, Skyrim has those fancy finishers, but even they lose their novelty after 9000th time (especially when it shows you an epic death of some random skeever that rolls down the hill with a very awkward ragdoll effect).
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    This just sounds like a completely different game.

Would I play it? Maybe. Would depend on if I liked the look/feel and if I was in the market for a new time-sink of a game.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I think you're looking for a different game
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morris no
    Who the hell knows?

Ideas are great, implementation of a great idea is 95% of where the difficulty lies though.
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'd actually leave of this happened
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Are you looking for an MMO or more instanced co-op like Diablo?

No Sets? No thanks. I'll keep those as they add variety to the game

Sets was actually introduced in Skyrim: Dragonborn DLC. Many of the things we see in ESO merely expand on systems from previous ES titles.
    I much prefer the crafting system we have now over things we had in Skyrim.

But enchanting as something that falls under Blacksmithing or Clothing? That doesn't make any sense.
    Why would a person who is good at making armor know how to make enchantments?
    I like the traits, it adds depth to the crafting system.

On the note of Cash shop and DLC.
    It Is Because ESO has Optional Subscription that they have to use a cash shop. How do you think they support the game? It is an MMO, it is going to need a continuous stream of funds.
    WoW has plenty of funds from required subs.

I have a whole discussion about the class system HERE If you want to discuss the issues of a class-less system.
    Are there some things from ES titles I want to see? Of course but I understand that this is an MMO and not everything we had in single player titles is going to work in an MMO.
  • Orjix
    Orjix
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    How to make the game worse 101
  • Axoinus
    Axoinus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would depend on how you balanced. Ironically, classless systems end up being single class system in an MMO. it's what everyone wants, I just don't see how it can be delivered due to constant drive to min/max.

Housing should be set up like Wildstar.

I want racial passive sets to be selectable.

I have the biggest problem with how sustain is managed.

I don't care for how damage is tied to your sustain pool.

I also don't care how heavy attack restores sustain. Just crosses a line with me.

They will continue to get my $15 a month though.

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    i like the game how it is.

if i didn't i wouldn't be playing it.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Your suggested housing features are nice, but I'll be honest, the best part about Skyrim's Hearthfire on PC is the ability to console command in the materials I need. Fast traveling to 20 different merchants to get all the goat horns, glass, and straw I need got really old after the first time. Just crafting furnishing in this game is a pain, I can't imagine trying to craft a house (I guess that's what the Coldharbor place is for though.)

The rest of it just seems like you want an Elder Scrolls MMO that's designed completely differently from how ESO is designed. I'm mostly fine with how ESO' crafting, PVP, and class/skill system work so, no, I don't feel drawn to your vision.
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    This would make me play the game less.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The poll isn’t asking IF ESO was changed to this.
    It’s IF this game never existed and instead the idea above existed. (To those who answered correctly, I respect that. It’s cool to say No)

No I’m not looking for a different game, it’s just a what if this existed vs what you’re playing now.

MMO:

It’s just a server based game with hundreds or thousands playing n a world, instances, etc.

5de.jpg
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on January 31, 2018 10:05PM
  • Garamant
    Garamant
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe yes
    i actually would agree on some points with the OP. I cant deny that after some time the Alliance Wars get ... repetitive or dry. You attack the same keeps the same way over and over again. The keeps look the same for every faction, the little difference we have is that there are outposts too ( i think they just lack the outer wall that keeps have), other than that i miss some kind of variety there. If there was some kind of coop in Alliance War, with an automatic group finder and some objectives for specific groups (maybe with a time limit too, like defend this tower until reinforcement arrives in 7 minutes or smth like this), that would make it interesting and give it some depth. Also every keep could have at least a little variety or add different types of defence structures (towers for example)

The same with guilds actually. There are two guilds in the game. The Fighters Guild and the Mages Guild. The Rest are player driven. But i d rather have ZOS take control of this whole thing and add more guilds, (Vigilants of Stendarr, Daedric Worshippers etc.) that you can join and have an NPC Guild master (doesnt mean players shouldnt be able to make their own guilds) who can quests to you or groups. And have those guilds fight for different objectives. All that in a context of a larger quest or "campaign" would be definitly fun, however finding a system that makes it impossible for other players to spoil the other ones fun, thats the difficulty and the reason it is as it is.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Idk what everyone else’s problem is, this sounds pretty good to me
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, because it's basically taking every aspect of the game and destroying it.
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what is a "strict Oblivion racial passive"?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Its one where...if hypothetically ESO as it is never existed and the Elder Scrolls Online had instead been made along these lines, would I have played it?

Yeah, I would have. Because it was a Elder Scrolls game, and I loved Skyrim. (And then Oblivion and Morrowind.) So if this hypothetical Elder Scroll Online was designed the way the OP wants, i would have played it because it would have been the only option. Sort of like how I played ESO at its designed today because it was the only option. There's nothing about either design option that makes me say "No, I hate this, I don't want to play a game like this."

However, we don't live in that hypothetical world. The Elder Scrolls Online is designed the way it is and I like that design. There are elements to the OP's design I like, but there's nothing there that makes me wish we had the OP's vision of ESO over the developers' ESO.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    swippy wrote: »
    what is a "strict Oblivion racial passive"?

@swippy
    Just remarking the exact from that game. Here is a reference that may relate more to understand

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Races

With the combat changes i wrote you’d have to adjust things like the racial benefits and penalties
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 1, 2018 12:13AM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I wanted to play Oblivion or Skyrim, I'd play those games.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sixty5 wrote: »

@Sixty5
    I would suggest it’s not those games at all in my OP.

there are elements of those with changes that make it NOT those games at all......and there’s the online MMO server aspect too that changes a lot

None of those game realities would be in this design like killing and actually looting NPCs for what they have on and the ability to change the world permanently.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 1, 2018 12:16AM
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NewBlacksmurf thank you; duh.

i was thinking of the damage type or the realm, not TES:3
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    swippy wrote: »
    @NewBlacksmurf thank you; duh.

i was thinking of the damage type or the realm, not TES:3

No prob, I’m sure not everyone knows what I meant
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 1, 2018 12:29AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@Sixty5

there are elements of those with changes that make it NOT those games at all......and there’s the online MMO server aspect too that changes a lot

None of those game realities would be in this design like killing and actually looting NPCs for what they have on and the ability to change the world permanently.

While its true that you've adapted a lot of stuff for the MMO style, you still took a lot of inspiration from Oblivion and Skyrim. That's one of your stated sources of vision.

Your combat, class, and race system is very similar to how Skyrim or Oblivion play, with the addition of an enforced trinity of tank/healer/DPS. Your housing system is very inspired by Hearthfire. You've even got essentially a "Solo" mode where people can play without viewing other players just like the single-player games.

Now, you've got plenty of suggestions for how this would work as an MMO and you've got plenty of suggestions that swing wide of Oblivion and Skyrim. Nevertheless, I have to say, if I wanted to do housing like Hearthfire, or rexperience the classless, skillless fights of Oblivion and Skyrim, I'd go play Skyrim or Oblivion.I'm not saying that to knock your opinions here, just that I liked those features well enough in those games, but I'm not sure I like them well enough to import them into ESO or redesign a hypothetical ESO as well.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    It's not possible to pretend ESO doesn't exist, so the premise is sort of doomed from the start. Maybe I would've played an MMO that worked like that, but I wouldn't consider it replacing the current iteration of ESO.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Jhalin wrote: »
    It's not possible to pretend ESO doesn't exist, so the premise is sort of doomed from the start. Maybe I would've played an MMO that worked like that, but I wouldn't consider it replacing the current iteration of ESO.

Sorry but what’s wrong with ppl. You’re telling me that after playing a game your mind is unable to consider something else.

It’s not replacing this btw....
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

Sorry but what’s wrong with ppl. You’re telling me that after playing a game your mind is unable to consider something else.

I see you didn't understand what I said. You cannot ask questions that demand someone pretend the existing version of ESO doesn't exist. Humans can't do that. The knowledge is there and will become part of the decision-making process no matter what. That's just how our brains work.

It's not a matter of considering something else, it's you asking us to ignore reality when we're deciding if we'd want something else in it's place. And it would be "replacing" what we know of right now. Not literally, but you're asking us to take what we know of the game, and completely substitute it's design.

Your idea could be it's own, non Elder Scrolls MMO, but it cannot be ESO because we already have that, even if your ideas are good. That's why this poll isn't going to reflect how people really feel about the ideas you put forward.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

@Sixty5

While its true that you've adapted a lot of stuff for the MMO style, you still took a lot of inspiration from Oblivion and Skyrim. That's one of your stated sources of vision.

Your combat, class, and race system is very similar to how Skyrim or Oblivion play, with the addition of an enforced trinity of tank/healer/DPS. Your housing system is very inspired by Hearthfire. You've even got essentially a "Solo" mode where people can play without viewing other players just like the single-player games.

Now, you've got plenty of suggestions for how this would work as an MMO and you've got plenty of suggestions that swing wide of Oblivion and Skyrim. Nevertheless, I have to say, if I wanted to do housing like Hearthfire, or rexperience the classless, skillless fights of Oblivion and Skyrim, I'd go play Skyrim or Oblivion.I'm not saying that to knock your opinions here, just that I liked those features well enough in those games, but I'm not sure I like them well enough to import them into ESO or redesign a hypothetical ESO as well.

O K

I think I just see it as very, very different. I picked up Skyrim on Xbox one last year and tried it again on the Xbox one x update last month as well as Oblivion.

It’s kinda boring by comparison to what I described, in my opinion at least.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 1, 2018 1:15AM
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    @ OP

Constantly commenting so people see the red box that says ' Yes' is misleading. In fact a wide majority have said 'No'
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I see you didn't understand what I said. You cannot ask questions that demand someone pretend the existing version of ESO doesn't exist. Humans can't do that. The knowledge is there and will become part of the decision-making process no matter what. That's just how our brains work.

It's not a matter of considering something else, it's you asking us to ignore reality when we're deciding if we'd want something else in it's place. And it would be "replacing" what we know of right now. Not literally, but you're asking us to take what we know of the game, and completely substitute it's design.

Your idea could be it's own, non Elder Scrolls MMO, but it cannot be ESO because we already have that, even if your ideas are good. That's why this poll isn't going to reflect how people really feel about the ideas you put forward.

@Jhalin

I think people have decided to insert something I never wrote. Maybe it’s from other comments, notice my first coment with the meme

I still don’t understand why you’re saying I’m asking folks to pretend ESO doesn’t exist.

I never asked anyone to pretend this game didn’t or doesn’t exist. I simply polled IF THIS WAS ESO would you play it? Not if this was ESO instead of the current game. I remark after playing many TES games.....i invisioned....

It’s like asking....hey look at this article about a new game, read it, would you like to play it?
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 1, 2018 1:22AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    thedude33 wrote: »
    @ OP

Constantly commenting so people see the red box that says ' Yes' is misleading. In fact a wide majority have said 'No'

Sorry that’s how These forum work but the poll is at the top. My goal isn’t to make people vote yes, it was only to share my thoughts of what I invisioned after playing this and other TES games. It’s a bit concerning that people are interpreting the poll as Vote yes if you want the OP to replace ESO and Vote No if not.

The poll is about would you play the OP game....shrug