Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help! I cannot beat any enemies?

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roco32373 wrote: »
    So besides "git gud," what else should I be doing?
    ...that IS what you should be doing! ;)

Yeah, the success curve changes -dramatically- once you learn how to properly drive your character. Once Ou block the enemies heavy attacks, use interrupts on their specials, and apply your class skills well.

Much has been mentioned already...

A few points I would repeat and add upon:

First - Morrowind is not the best place to start. A quick wayshrine trip to the mainland, talking to that mysterious stranger and doing the coldharbour tutorial will put you in a much better position. Especially since you can spend some time in the wailing prison looking for gear...

Second - fill all your gear slots! Basic crafting to get you started, then take what you find, but it makes a -huge- difference if you fight in the slave rags or a full set of armor. And the starter isles quest rewards will set you up nicely for that, while spending a good deal of time treasure chest hunting will do the rest. Running a good set or two will greatly increase your combat power.

Third - learn the special moves until they become second nature. If you see gold sparkles from an enemy - block. if you see red sparkles - interrupt. And dodge roll or just walk out of the red ground. Oh, and if you stun your opponents, that is when you land your own heavy attack. But if they have a shield, do not use heavy until they get stunned, or they will block you more likely then not. Those things can mean the difference between win or loose in some of the tougher fights.

Fourth - work on your skills. Battle levelling means you get scaled to endgame power, but it doesn't give you new skills to play with, or make all yours the better morphed version. Also remember, only those things you have slotted advance, so keep at least one skill for every class skill line and one for your weapon slotted at all times. Pick your skills with care, avoid the less useful stuff until later and focus on the battle-helpful stuff first.

Fifth - use consumables! Keep your quickslot up with a healing potion if you are a fighter, or a magica potion of you are a healer. Eat food, even if its only the bread you find free for grabbing in every other dungeon, the extra HP help.

Sixth - Nightblade archers are quite likely the most difficult class to handle. Rewarding in the end, yes, but also very difficult. If you want it easy, there are other choices... but if you want to tough it out, remember you -need- the sneak attack bonus to be on par, so sneak a lot and shoot them from stealth, then whittle them down as they close. Be careful about kiting, since that can easly end up in aggroing more mobs, and a NB archer just cannot handle larger groups at the beginning. You also will be weak on selfheals, so look for them elsewhere... the kill bonus from the soul gem spell and some of your close up NB skills is nice for trash mobs (but fails to help you with bosses), the lifedrain from your siphoning line and the mages guild can be helpful, and eventually you will want to PvP for vigor...
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half the forum users cry how easy this game is..this is proof new players don't have such luxuries
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you're wearing armour, and that the armour is the same level as your character.
  • Seleval
    Seleval
    ✭✭✭
    And dont forget Jewelry slots. Find a new Ring that is on your level and green, blue, or even purple? Put it on.
    Even if it is mag (and you are stam) it will help you, especially since you want all your class skilllines on lv 50.

Don´t forget to pick up the skyshards that you find and! Get the Fighters Guild skillline as soon as you can.
    Try to have 5 medium pieces on you, but also 1 heavy and 1 light, as this will level the other armor lines too, which is useful once you level the Undaunted questline. It will greatly benefit you.

If you find someone who can craft glyphs, ask them to make you some of those, max stamina ones, or if you find them, use them.
    (if you have a crafter, maybe get some training gear :D )
    PC/EU
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seleval wrote: »
    Try to have 5 medium pieces on you, but also 1 heavy and 1 light, as this will level the other armor lines too, which is useful once you level the Undaunted questline. It will greatly benefit you.

I see this so much from Deltia and other streamers but I totally disagree with it as being of any use whatsoever for new low level players.

The fact is that the undaunted passives that give you a benefit from wearing all 3 types of armor is such a long hard slog that you will be well into your higher CPs before it happens. And you're getting tons of XP at that point relative to the tiny amounts you get at low levels so that taking any armor line from 0 to 50 is ridiculously quick and trivial at high levels and takes a while at low levels. And leveling those armor lines hardly makes much difference (other than the odd small bonus you get from those other armor line passives by wearing 1 piece of it) since the undaunted bonus is just for wearing it and not for having it leveled.

All this advice really does is put new players that follow it at a resource management disadvantage since it's your armor that reduces stamina or magicka cost of abilities and gives you faster regeneration based on how many pieces you have equipped. Something that became that much more important last year with the Morrowind update and resource regen nerf.

Don't listen to this stuff when you're low level and always go for 7 pieces of medium for stamina or 7 light for magicka while you level 1-50. When you do enough undaunted dailies and enough dungeons that you've unlocked the first tier of that 5-1-1 passives bonus, that is the time to slap on pieces of other types of armor which will typically be your CP160 head and shoulder monster mask set pieces.

I don't mean to jump on you but I see this bad advice thrown around all the time and it's a pet peeve of mine to try to stomp it down whenever a new player might be tempted to do it since it will not benefit them at all and will only hurt their resource use and regen at a time when resources are still an issue for them.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of my early characters was a Wood Elf nightblade. I found him MUCH harder to fight with than my magicka sorcerer or magicka templar.

The many changes in the game since then don't really change that conclusion.

I'm going to suggest that you strongly consider making a magicka templar and leveling him for a while to get more familiar with the game. You can really do anything with just the skills:
    • Puncturing Sweeps -- morph of the first Aedric Spear skill
    • Reflective Light -- morph of the first Dawn's Wrath skill
    • Either morph of the first Restoring Light skill (Breath of Life is the better morph for dungeon healing)
    • Wall of Elements -- morph of the second Destruction staff skill

• LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roco32373 wrote: »
    Defilted wrote: »
    If you are XBOX NA, hit me up in the evening , I am normally on and I can craft you some starting gear at no cost. This will assist in easing the difficulty.

Wow, thanks so much. My GamerTag is: Roco32373. Feel free to add me as a friend.

My class is Nightblade. I will try the original starting areas. Where should I go for a night blade wood elf archer to start them?

put points in stamina or hp, not in magicka. itll be a lot easier if its your first character.

get dual weild or 2H not bow. Once you reach lvl 15 you can grab bow as your secondary weapon (youll have a second skill bar etc...)

With dual weild your FIRST skill will allow you to heal (leach) when youre able to morph it. With 2H the single target dmg you get through uppercut and executioner is ridiculous and eventually its last skill (rally) is a buff and a heal. Id go with one of these 2 weapons by far for an easier experience. Make sure you grab cloak from your skill line as soon as possible. You also have a few early class skills that either slow enemies or heal you

Mag blade is like easy mode on lvling stam is hard.
  • rez0055
    rez0055
    ✭✭✭
    Just start out in the starting zone of your faction and level there, you will learn the history of your faction and get interesting story lines. You dont need to start in Morrowind, I even advice you to start there once you hit level 50. From the moment you completed the zones of your faction you get the quest for a place beyond tamriel, I wont spoil what zone it is ^^.

Have a nice day.
    Characters
    - Only-Drinks-With-Templars: Lvl 50 Argonian Magica Templar
    - Bialozar: Lvl 50 Khajitt Stamina Nightblade
    - Rez the Bald Sorceror: Lvl 50 Dark Elf Magica Sorceror
    - Gerard Snow: Lvl 50 Dark Elf Magica Dragonknight
    - Dorothea Black: Lvl 50 Imperial Stamina Templar
    - Demon Cleaver: Lvl 50 Orc Stamina Warden
    - Lord of BØnes: Lvl 50 Breton Magica Necromancer

PC/EU server. You'll find my characters hoping on and off on the plains of Cyrodil with the guild The Black.