Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help! I cannot beat any enemies?

Roco32373
Roco32373
✭✭✭
So I just started playing ESO: Morrowind. I have played games for years, I've beaten Halo campaigns on Legendary settings, etc. (meaning I am not a completely clueless dope)

However, when I play Morrowind, as I am doing the quests, the enemies keep kicking my butt. Some of the three on one battles I do not stand a chance. I thought the enemies scaled to your level? I am currently only Level 4, so maybe that's it, but am I missing something? Are all quests meant to be group battles only?

This game is so beautiful on the Xbox One X...just waling around makes me happy. But I would like to play the quests and level up, etc. I would hate not to be able to play it.

So besides "git gud," what else should I be doing?

Thanks for your help!
  • DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reroll warden
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't spam light or heavy attacks and succeed, instead, you use light and heavy attacks along with skills, see this:

Combat in this game comes down to Skill Rotations, with Light or Heavy Attacks interspersed. So, it's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 dead. Pick your skill rotations so that one skill will set up or buff another skill. For example, use a skill that Snares, then a skill that gives Damage over Time to an area so the snared mobs spend longer in pain, then use a spam damage skill. This is just one example.

Once you learn a good rotation, then you can weave in light or heavy attacks between the skills to extend the resource pool you play from. So it's more like 1, LMB, 2, LMB,3, LMB, 4, LMB, 1 Dead. Then once you learn how to weave attacks, then you can start animation canceling to up your DPS.

So, attacks are not just a spam of the Left Mouse Button, but an application of your skills and weapon attacks.

You add in Blocking (reduce damage), Bashing (interrupting a caster or heavy attack wind up), Dodge Rolling (double click on a WASD key to avoid damage and get out of red quickly). Throw in some terrain advantage, and your basically a Mobile, Agile and Hostile wrecking machine.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First leveling character? Forget about Builds right now. No need, your handicapped anyway by the game so you are way more powerful than you need to be. Instead take advantage of this buff to properly level your character so you can be deadly when it matters later on when you are not buffed by the level scaling. In other words, you can create a rotation that makes you think your all that and a biscuit because of the scaling buffs, then get a rude awakening come Champ Ranks when you are on your own.

In other words, right now if your wearing any gear, the mobs will die.

1. Have one class skill on your bar at all times, swapping them out once the skill reaches Morph stage. Worry about your Morphs later.
    2. Have one weapon skill on your bar at all times, again until Morph stage
    3. Wear a mix of all 3 armor types so they all level about equally
    4. From L1 to L20, invest in attack skills and actives
    5. From L20 to L35 start investing in Passives and Support Skills
    6. From L35 to L50 start investing in Morphs (but only if all your class skills are at the Morph Stage), Passives and Crafting Skills
    7 From CP10 to CP160 try out dropped sets to see which ones fit your playstyle, don't worry about traits right now, fill in passives and actives you may have missed
    8. Grind on Dolmens to level your Fighters Guild, or find the Lore Books to level Mages Guild
    9. Do some stealing to level Legerdemain, best source for money in the game
    10. Decon every piece of gear you get that you are not going to use immediately to level equipment crafting, no need to invest skills points until Champ Ranks.

• rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What class are you? Nightblades and Templars start off with a self-healing skill that's great for when you're still learning.

Remember to make use of abilities like dodge rolling or blocking to mitigate damage, as well.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people on here forget how tough it is when people are fresh off the boat so to speak. No cp, no crafted gear and little clue which skills are useful. What is your class?

Had i been on Xbox still I'd have made you gear and the game would have gotten considerably more manageable. I'd maybe venture back to your main faction questline and leave Morrowind for awhile. The main game quest is easier as are the beginner islands and opening open world area.
    Edited by Prof_Bawbag on January 4, 2018 6:47PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, for Gear. Wear something. Once you have the basics, then try to assemble set items from Mob Loot Drops to gain more power. Decide if your Stamina or Magic and focus on the sets that help one of those. Each zone drops a Magic, Stamina and Health set, so you have something in each zone no matter how you focus.

Make sure you wear Jewelry and set jewelry can be found in chests and dolmens.

Food Helps, Blue for lower levels, Purple for higher. Ask nicely and someone can make you some, tip them if they do. There are a few recipes that scale with you, so those are preferred until you get to the Cap.

• magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might help to go to your starting faction island instead of morrowind. I realize you are brand new and things might seem overwhelming but it should be pretty easy on the starting island doing quests and you will level fast. But level 4 is literally you just made the toon. Kill like 50 more mobs and you will get a few more levels to actually have skills. It’s a little early to cry for help. Just explore and kill a bit on your own and if you get stuck on something specific google it
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roco32373 wrote: »
    I thought the enemies scaled to your level?
    No, you are scaled to CP160 (which is the max level). The difference is important.

shades.gif
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind also sucks for quest xp and quest skill points compared to what you get doing the old quest line. Things just progress better.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Try killing a mud crab, if you die then uninstall the game. :)

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1)Use FOOD.
    Most common mistake ive seen friends make when starting

2)Use MUNDUS stone.
    Make sure you have that bonus. no matter what it is it will help a lot.

3)Lookup which class heal you can unlock or use a resto staff. Having ONE heal is a real helper when you start off in 1 v X fights (pve). If you are generally skilled at video games it might make fights longer but youll pull it off , ALWAYS.

4)From there make sure to unlock single target high damaging class abilities or use 2H (which imo is the easiest weapon line for PvE Solo).

5)Dont forget to quick slot your potions and to USE them. You cant use them often in comparison to other games but on top of the obvious resource gain, you also get better regeneration over time when using them. Using them even if not an emergency WILL help.

Anything else you do is complementary. Absolutely no need to follow <builds> before you are champion level, most of them are entirely unplayable solo at low levels.

EDIT: As a side note, ESO: Morrowind is easy mode at lvl 1 compared to TES III: Morrowind at level 1. At least you wont get killed by a single Kwama or a Scrib that paralyses you. :P Be grateful >_<
    Edited by Spacemonkey on January 4, 2018 6:59PM
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are XBOX NA, hit me up in the evening , I am normally on and I can craft you some starting gear at no cost. This will assist in easing the difficulty.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Roco32373
    Roco32373
    ✭✭✭
    Defilted wrote: »
    If you are XBOX NA, hit me up in the evening , I am normally on and I can craft you some starting gear at no cost. This will assist in easing the difficulty.

Wow, thanks so much. My GamerTag is: Roco32373. Feel free to add me as a friend.

My character name on Xbox NA server is: Rocoxboxonex

My class is Nightblade. I will try the original starting areas. Where should I go for a night blade wood elf archer to start them?
    Edited by Roco32373 on January 4, 2018 7:30PM
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gear is really the answer.

I've forgotten to respec my CP when the points were refunded and struggled a little bit until remembering, but not so much as to be game changing. I've also taken a costume wearing, naked alt out for skill point farming and been 2 shot by mobs.

Throw on a crafted set and the issues melt away.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, thanks so much. My GamerTag is: Roco32373. Feel free to add me as a friend.

My class is Nightblade. I will try the original starting areas. Where should I go for a night blade wood elf archer to start them?

put points in stamina or hp, not in magicka. itll be a lot easier if its your first character.

get dual weild or 2H not bow. Once you reach lvl 15 you can grab bow as your secondary weapon (youll have a second skill bar etc...)

With dual weild your FIRST skill will allow you to heal (leach) when youre able to morph it. With 2H the single target dmg you get through uppercut and executioner is ridiculous and eventually its last skill (rally) is a buff and a heal. Id go with one of these 2 weapons by far for an easier experience. Make sure you grab cloak from your skill line as soon as possible. You also have a few early class skills that either slow enemies or heal you
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you'll die a lot at lvl 4 especially against quest bosses and 3 or more mobs. It gets easier as you level. At lvl 4 you don't have much in the way of active skills that can help. For multiple mobs, the Whirlwind dual-wield skill is probably the easiest to get. It hits all nearby mobs at once. Also, as other have pointed out, you want to eat food (preferably bread at low level, since it increases health) and make sure you've equipped the highest level gear you have found in each slot.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........................................................................................................
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭

Go to Khenarthi's Roost. It's starting island for Aldmeri Dominion.
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1. The Morrowind DLC content is not the best place for a no CP,, low level character to start. Use the Wayshrine and go to Vulkhel Guard and accept the "benefactor" quest right by the wayshrine there. Follow that tutorial and you end up in Khenarthi's Roost where you'll never fight more than two easy mobs at once. You'll be level 8-10 when you leave there. Continue questing in Auridon (also easier than Vvanderfell) and after you've done that (level 20ish) go anywhere you want.
    2. A stamina NB archer is probably the least solo-friendly class for a new player because they're weak in the two things that make soloing easier in ESO: AOE damage abilities and self heals. Either type of Warden or Sorcerer or a magicka Templar with a destro staff would be much easier to start.
    3. Buy or craft blue health + (stamina or magicka depending on build) food.
    4. Find the Navigator by the Vulkhel Guard docks and go to Grahtwood. Go get the best Mundus Stone for a low level soloer there: either the Tower (+ stamina) south of Elden Root or The Mage (+ magicka) east of there.

Now you're ready.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I will hit you up later on this evening.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As another player that rolled this as his first toon back when the game launched I can attest to this... You have very little access to anything that heals you very well at the early levels.

My suggestion if you want to stick with Stamina Nightblade would be to make your Nightblade magicka based with destro staff first and use "Strife" morphed to "Swallow Soul" as your primary attack until you get some things unlocked. You can run 5 light + 2 Medium so you level your medium armor. Put one 2 handed skill on your bar (doesn't matter which) so you passively level that and the 2 handed skill line while you get XP.

Once you get a good feel for the game and unlock Momentum (Rank 38 on 2 Handed) you can switch to bow and 2 Handed and use that as your base heal. Eventually you will morph it to Rally. After that you will need to PvP/Repair Walls to get Vigor and then you will be ready to roll your Stamina Nightblade with Dual Wield and level that skill line.

Stamina Sorcerer is a much more forgiving/sturdy starter class in my opinion (due to Surge) and it does high DPS in end game as well with a more forgiving rotation (also it doesn't need vigor). If you aren't sold on Stamina Nightblade then I would create a new Stamina Sorcerer character and go back to Nightblade later when you have more experience with how things work.
    Edited by kojou on January 4, 2018 9:13PM
    Playing since beta...
  • Roco32373
    Roco32373
    ✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »

1. The Morrowind DLC content is not the best place for a no CP,, low level character to start. Use the Wayshrine and go to Vulkhel Guard and accept the "benefactor" quest right by the wayshrine there. Follow that tutorial and you end up in Khenarthi's Roost where you'll never fight more than two easy mobs at once. You'll be level 8-10 when you leave there. Continue questing in Auridon (also easier than Vvanderfell) and after you've done that (level 20ish) go anywhere you want.
    2. A stamina NB archer is probably the least solo-friendly class for a new player because they're weak in the two things that make soloing easier in ESO: AOE damage abilities and self heals. Either type of Warden or Sorcerer or a magicka Templar with a destro staff would be much easier to start.
    4. Find the Navigator by the Vulkhel Guard docks and go to Grahtwood. Go get the best Mundus Stone for a low level soloer there: either the Tower (+ stamina) south of Elden Root or The Mage (+ magicka) east of there.

Now you're ready.

THANK YOU!! (And all of you guys who have provided MUCH NEEDED and INSIGHTFUL information! I appreciate it!!)
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you're ready.

THANK YOU!! (And all of you guys who have provided MUCH NEEDED and INSIGHTFUL information! I appreciate it!!)

Good luck! The advice in the post above yours is great, especially about Swallow Soul. Even though it's a magicka-based skill, it'll do for now (it's better than nothing, certainly).

I started off as a stamina nightblade, so I know how rough it is. Once you get a bit less squishy from gear and having literally any form of healing, it becomes a lot easier.

I'd also recommend having Strife/Swallow Soul on your primary bar so you can level the Siphoning tree enough to unlock Siphoning Strikes. Then morph that to Leeching Strikes when you get the chance. Combined with the other skills you'll be getting a nice amount of incoming self-heals, not even including Vigor. But Vigor is definitely one of the more useful skills to have.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    & keep in mind that below champion rank your gear really effects how "battle leveled" you are, you can check on your character sheet where you are at.

have fun!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you are getting so much helpful info! I very recently started a new toon on the European server to take advantage of their different activity cycle, and holy crap it is hard to start over with no gear and no crafting and especially with no friends to make me gear, so I feel ya. I really do think that gear is a massive part of it, because I am getting my butt stomped into the dirt right now and I've fallen very behind on gear. Same thing as you, the three-man fights are kind of out of the question at the moment. But all these tips are great and should help a lot!
  • Eatmyface
    Eatmyface
    ✭✭✭
    DISCLAIMER - off topic.

How is it that the forums can be so full of negative $hit, but then someone asks for help and so many people jump to give insight and encouragement.

If only there could be a separate section that people could post all of their moaning and whining in. It's so depressing.

P.s. Goodluck, OP. you'll figure it out in no time!!
  • KnightfallZX2
    @Roco32373 You sound like me. I'm only a couple weeks into the game (level 16 now). Only yesterday I learned from this forum that when you buy ESO:Morrowind, you don't start off at the original campaign. Vvanderfell is not the recommended place for a newbie.

So I when I learned how to leave Vvanderfell, and began the original campaign, I was off to a much better start, with many other gamers around your level. That, and the main quest line is pretty awesome off the hop. (All the big-name voice actors are part of the main quest line.)
    PSN: KnightfallZX2 | Server: NA
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you're ready.

Good luck! The advice in the post above yours is great, especially about Swallow Soul. Even though it's a magicka-based skill, it'll do for now (it's better than nothing, certainly).

I started off as a stamina nightblade, so I know how rough it is. Once you get a bit less squishy from gear and having literally any form of healing, it becomes a lot easier.

I'd also recommend having Strife/Swallow Soul on your primary bar so you can level the Siphoning tree enough to unlock Siphoning Strikes. Then morph that to Leeching Strikes when you get the chance. Combined with the other skills you'll be getting a nice amount of incoming self-heals, not even including Vigor. But Vigor is definitely one of the more useful skills to have.

In the DW tree get the Blood Craze and Bloodthirst (Flurry and Twin Slashes) morphs ASAP. That's your bread & butter heals while leveling. You can also pick up Killer's Blade (Morph of Assassin's Blade) from the Assassination tree as a finisher. It does 300% damage to enemies under 25% health and provides a nice heal if the enemy dies within 2 seconds.

For single targets, you want to do:
    (from stealth)
    Ambush
    Bloodcraze
    Spam bloodthirst until mob low health.
    spam killer's blade until dead.

for AoE:
    (from stealth)
    Ambush
    spam whirlwind until low health
    finish mobs with Killers blade

Once you unlock your second weapon, you can add Volley in before the ambush for some extra damage. I'd also look into using a 5-pc Vampire's Kiss set as the 5-pc bonus is a decent heal when you kill a monster.
  • billp_ESO
    billp_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know what the problem is, you aren't blocking!

My guess is you aren't blocking at all, and trying attacks to kill them. You can block almost any melee attack, even with a staff.

Try *just* blocking; you'll see stamina go down, empty out, and then you'll die. Learn to attack in between blocking. Read the cues of the enemy (he's winding up for a major hit, aoe, etc). Block for that hit, then immediately go on the attack. Get ready to block their next attack.

For enemy mages, probably better to run to them and melee, or try to out-nuke them.

Roll-dodge is another huge thing in this game. If a mage casts an aoe spell at you, roll-dodge out of it before it lands. Then counter-attack. It's almost like an action game in that respect.
  • Roco32373
    Roco32373
    ✭✭✭
    billp_ESO wrote: »
    I know what the problem is, you aren't blocking!

My guess is you aren't blocking at all, and trying attacks to kill them. You can block almost any melee attack, even with a staff.

Try *just* blocking; you'll see stamina go down, empty out, and then you'll die. Learn to attack in between blocking. Read the cues of the enemy (he's winding up for a major hit, aoe, etc). Block for that hit, then immediately go on the attack. Get ready to block their next attack.

For enemy mages, probably better to run to them and melee, or try to out-nuke them.

Roll-dodge is another huge thing in this game. If a mage casts an aoe spell at you, roll-dodge out of it before it lands. Then counter-attack. It's almost like an action game in that respect.

No, I was blocking.

Since I left Morrowind, the game is much easier and much more fun! Love it!