Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Meta Sorc Gear

raasdal
raasdal
✭✭✭✭✭
What do meta sorcs wear these days? Riposte / ? on a 5/5/1 setup is what i feel i see. But could also be a 5/5/2 with Riposte on backbar. But what are the other most popular sets currently?
PC - EU
Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • ajaxtheboss
    ajaxtheboss
    ✭✭
    5 amberplasm
    5 shacklebreaker
    Domihaus shoulder or helm

Or

5 amberplasm
    5 shacklebreaker
    Master destro (any resto)

If you run a premade group wizard riposte is nice, but for solo queueing the max stam/stam recov is has more impact then minor maim (in my opinion)

is my go to for battlegrounds, and I've had a lot of luck with it in cyrodiil/IC

In battlegrounds where I know the enemy team is stacked or when Im getting pressured, I throw on master destro along with defensive rune. Seems excessive but having both ccs allows you to better control 1vxs better.
    Edited by ajaxtheboss on December 31, 2017 11:06PM
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much what he said. Master Inferno I would recommend. But yeah only other combo would be back bar Lich but I'd rather use Wizards if i was doing a back bar only set.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are actually lots of good gear combos for Sorcs, including those listed above. Something important you may not hear from others: DON'T be afraid to enchant your jewelry with stam/mag recovery or cost reduction instead of spell damage. For Sorcs, it is much more important to maximize max magicka than it is to stack spell damage.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are actually lots of good gear combos for Sorcs, including those listed above. Something important you may not hear from others: DON'T be afraid to enchant your jewelry with stam/mag recovery or cost reduction instead of spell damage. For Sorcs, it is much more important to maximize max magicka than it is to stack spell damage.

This is am very familiar with. But i hardly see anyone running Necro anymore (no pets around). And cant really see other options, besides Destrucrion Mastery, to really go for amping max magicka? Guess shackle is not too bad for that though.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 amberplasm
    5 shacklebreaker
    Domihaus shoulder or helm

Or

5 amberplasm
    5 shacklebreaker
    Master destro (any resto)

If you run a premade group wizard riposte is nice, but for solo queueing the max stam/stam recov is has more impact then minor maim (in my opinion)

is my go to for battlegrounds, and I've had a lot of luck with it in cyrodiil/IC

In battlegrounds where I know the enemy team is stacked or when Im getting pressured, I throw on master destro along with defensive rune. Seems excessive but having both ccs allows you to better control 1vxs better.

What max mag are you hitting with that setup? Spell damage?
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using @Irylia s build just modified for the master destro in place on one Domihaus. 5 Amber 5 Julianos master inferno. Random resto. Hits like a truck.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grannas211 wrote: »
    I've been using @Irylia s build just modified for the master destro in place on one Domihaus. 5 Amber 5 Julianos master inferno. Random resto. Hits like a truck.

Julianos is non-optimal. What spell damage/max magicka are you hitting with that setup?
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blanco wrote: »

Julianos is non-optimal. What spell damage/max magicka are you hitting with that setup?

Spell damage is around 2550 or so unbuffed. Max magicka is around 42k
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl.

and yet I am sitting at 3k spell damage buffed (ALWAYS UP) and 46k mag without a pet. Safe to say my setup is better
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl.

and yet I am sitting at 3k spell damage buffed (ALWAYS UP) and 46k mag without a pet. Safe to say my setup is better

Well yeah with major sorcery it's up over 3100. Which is always up as well.

What is your setup if you don't mind me asking? I'm always down for trying new things.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl.

What is your setup if you don't mind me asking? I'm always down for trying new things.

with major sorcery and berserker always up you might as well account for that.

I'll happily post my build if I see someone post something with higher damage capability (NOT with use of a pet ).
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl.

I'll happily post my build if I see someone post something with higher damage capability (NOT with use of a pet ).

Well with berserker we're talking 3600. Plus 50% plus crit. Damage is definitely there. I don't agree that Julianos is bad in pvp
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl.

Well with berserker we're talking 3600. Plus 50% plus crit. Damage is definitely there. I don't agree that Julianos is bad in pvp

Ok, well your spell damage may be higher, but my amount of mag (which is easy to get) will more or less even out in terms of overall damage potential, but having that higher mag will bolster my shields, our main defensive tool. So that is why I think pouring more stats into mag makes more sense. Just like how bastion is our most important cp tree
    Edited by Betsararie on January 2, 2018 5:28AM
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl.

Ok, well your spell damage may be higher, but my amount of mag (which is easy to get) will more or less even out in terms of overall damage potential, but having that higher mag will bolster my shields, our main defensive tool. So that is why I think pouring more stats into mag makes more sense. Just like how bastion is our most important cp tree

Hey I'm not trying to be abrasive. I agree max mag is important. But so is stam and stam recovery open world. My point is, you gotta look at all the stats overall. Am I saying your build is worse? Nope not at all. It may be superior. I was just trying to have alittle dialogue. I love all my sorc brethren.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl.

Hey I'm not trying to be abrasive. I agree max mag is important. But so is stam and stam recovery open world. My point is, you gotta look at all the stats overall. Am I saying your build is worse? Nope not at all. It may be superior. I was just trying to have alittle dialogue. I love all my sorc brethren.

No, I consider you a true pal. I consider members of this community to almost be like a family of sorts.

Max stam and stam recovery are important for sorc.... no doubt about that.

Truthfully I need to give the typical amber/shackle build more of a go, because I just *keep* hearing it touted. But I'm like what about your shields, your max mag potential is merely lower than mine

Obviously we all know amber/shackle is incredibly solid. Just have to put in the time to farm amber lol
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Slotting Inner Light might increase your paper stats, but I can think of so many more interesting uses for that slot...
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like to empower stuff with it and to hunt stealthers too.

On amberplasm, I've never tried it, but I honestly think a single stam recov bonus (shackle, bloodspawn or jewellery), over 12k stam, a couple of well-fitted pieces and some good cp investments let's you sustain stam just fine.
    I tend to think amberplasm alone is too much, let alone shackle +amber. I can only think if people are needing that much, then there must be a few too many dodge-rolls going on with the cost increase (but I suspect well-fitted may well sustain that better than amber), or relying on dark exchange for recov.. (But in that case, why not just run less stam recov and more mag so you don't need it? Free up a slot and those precious cooldowns when under pressure)
    Edited by Biro123 on January 2, 2018 9:12AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl.

Unless we´re comparing all stats (spd; max hp,mag,stam; rec hp,mag,stam and crit) it´s impossible to tell if a setup is better or worse - as it might even function completely different from what you´re aiming for.

Depending on what sets you´re running the beforementioned setup might see ~7 to 10% higher crit values which if coupled with surge and lower shield usage enables to play more offensive while still retaining relative safety and also makes handling shieldbreaker easier.

Definetly disagree on bastion being the most important cp tree.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

Dpots are usually enough for me. If they don't suffice, my victim really wants to run away from everything, in which case I let them, got better things to do.

What would you empower? Since Magelight only gives empower upon activation, nothing else, you gotta justify sacrificing a whole GCD for that extra damage. Met can't be empowered anymore, and Frags are not worth empowering after the silly damage nerf.
    I would rather use Entropy for the empower.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Biro123 wrote: »

Dpots are usually enough for me. If they don't suffice, my victim really wants to run away from everything, in which case I let them, got better things to do.

What would you empower? Since Magelight only gives empower upon activation, nothing else, you gotta justify sacrificing a whole GCD for that extra damage. Met can't be empowered anymore, and Frags are not worth empowering after the silly damage nerf.
    I would rather use Entropy for the empower.

I'm pretty sure meteor can still be empowered? It can empower itself at least, if you don't use any other damage ability.

Idk if that's what you meant or not, maybe it can't practically be empowered because you gotta use another follow up ability in a real scenario.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I often dual-wield, and empower anything from dawnbreaker to frags to overload. Honestly, its not something I do often but with some high healing opponents (and no defile) the burst just needs to be more concentrated.
    To be fair though, I do use it primarily for the stats and secondly for a bit of gank defence.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, Meteor can't be empowered. Mages Guild abilities grant empower, but don't consume it. I think that was changed when Magelight got its overhaul. But I haven't personally tested since quite some time, so if a stealth change happened, I wouldn't know.
    Have you tested it? And how?

For DW sorcs, empower is actually really important, you don't have a proper spammable, anyway. I would STILL recommend Entropy for the empower, however. You can always cast it from the back bar if you need a slot for Magelight or so on the front.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, Meteor can't be empowered. Mages Guild abilities grant empower, but don't consume it. I think that was changed when Magelight got its overhaul. But I haven't personally tested since quite some time, so if a stealth change happened, I wouldn't know.

For DW sorcs, empower is actually really important, you don't have a proper spammable, anyway. I would STILL recommend Entropy for the empower, however. You can always cast it from the back bar if you need a slot for Magelight or so on the front.

Skaffa posted a video on it like 1 month ago, but he took it down for some reason. It showed how meteor would consistently do more noncrit damage if left to land alone, and less if followed up by a whip before it lands.

I am 100% sure that meteor can empower itself, I just don't know if other abilities still empower it.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »

Skaffa posted a video on it like 1 month ago, but he took it down for some reason. It showed how meteor would consistently do more noncrit damage if left to land alone, and less if followed up by a whip before it lands.

I am 100% sure that meteor can empower itself, I just don't know if other abilities still empower it.

I'm on vacation, so can't test myself right now...

You mentioned Whip, did he use Chains for empowerement? That could work, as it's no Mages Guild ability.

When I last tested it, Magelight wouldn't make it hit harder. But what do you mean by Met empowering itself? The empower lasts only for a few seconds, how would you throw a Meteor and then a second one in four... seconds?
    (o.0)?
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was another thread recently where someone talked about Meteor empowering itself and was saying that without the guild passive (I wish I had a better memory for names) that did the empower, it hit for less than with it.

Sounded plausible to me.
    Edited by Biro123 on January 2, 2018 10:21AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That is interesting. Can anyone personally confirm?
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »

I'm on vacation, so can't test myself right now...

You mentioned Whip, did he use Chains for empowerement? That could work, as it's no Mages Guild ability.

When I last tested it, Magelight wouldn't make it hit harder. But what do you mean by Met empowering itself? The empower lasts only for a few seconds, how would you throw a Meteor and then a second one in four... seconds?
    (o.0)?

No, he only used whip as a damage ability to consume the empower from meteor.

My theory is that due to meteor being a mages guild ability, it empowers the next damaging attack, which is the meteor explosion itself if you do nothing else after casting it.

Also, the empower from mages guild skill line lasts 5 seconds, which is plenty for meteor to land if you empower the meteor with itself :P

EDIT: I'll test it in a few actually, it got me wondering.
    Edited by Subversus on January 2, 2018 12:31PM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »

This is am very familiar with. But i hardly see anyone running Necro anymore (no pets around). And cant really see other options, besides Destrucrion Mastery, to really go for amping max magicka? Guess shackle is not too bad for that though.

PLENTY of Sorcs are still running Necro, but they're doing one of two things:

1) 4 pc Necro + two (max mag) Monster pieces and Shackle Breaker or whatever 5 pc set they want

2) 5 pc Necro + 2 pc Shadowrend + 4 pc whatever (I use 4 pc Stendarr)

Option #2 is great because it gives you 50K magicka when Shadowrend procs, which is reliably often. Shadowrend ALSO debuffs your enemy with the same 15% damage reduction as Wizard's Riposte!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »

PLENTY of Sorcs are still running Necro, but they're doing one of two things:

1) 4 pc Necro + two (max mag) Monster pieces and Shackle Breaker or whatever 5 pc set they want

2) 5 pc Necro + 2 pc Shadowrend + 4 pc whatever (I use 4 pc Stendarr)

Option #2 is great because it gives you 50K magicka when Shadowrend procs, which is reliably often. Shadowrend ALSO debuffs your enemy with the same 15% damage reduction as Wizard's Riposte!

3) 5 Necro, 2 Shadowrend, 5 Lich.

This is the most optimised setup. Still, you have to worry about stamina recovery (serpent mundus) and Master Inferno is off-limits (can still use Pulse or unbuffed Reach).
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is interesting. Can anyone personally confirm?

So I've tested it now. When I press meteor, I get the empower buff in my buff tracker. If I let meteor go down on its own, it consumes the buff when it lands, like expected. If I press meteor, then do a swallow soul, as to consume the empower, then the meteor lands and does LESS damage than it did with the supposed empower.

I tried both crits and non crits for like 5 each, both were lower when attacking right after the meteor as opposed to letting the meteor fall alone.

What I didn't test is if dots ticking would consume the empower from meteor or not.