The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Worth moving to PC? (Returning Player)

IXxIronWolfxXI
IXxIronWolfxXI
✭✭✭
Hello!

I haven't played this game in over a year, back when I used to play I used to play on Xbox EU. I've recently got a pretty decent PC, and I realised the game is on sale. Keep in mind I absolutely loved this game and only stopped playing due to Cyrodill lag and console performance issues as well as the server being, well pretty quiet for an MMO. It simply took years to find groups and PvP became practically unplayable which was what i enjoyed most as a Stam NB main (yes, I'm one of those sorry).
I put over 1000 hours into the game and I'm wondering is it worth starting over on PC? I'm unaware of all the changes over the past year aside from Morrowind, so I'm basically a newb. I'm not too sure if I should just buy the base game, the base game + morrowind, the gold edition or literally just everything. Back when I played I had Orsinium and Imperial City since at the time they were pretty much needed for the best gear. Which DLCs should I get/avoid and is Morrowind worth getting too?
If I do pick up the game, I'm also looking for friendly people who'll be able to help me out with crafting and just general advice since the games going to be pretty new to me after a whole year, and well I wouldn't mind having some new friends too ofcourse :pensive:
I've posted this here since it's what most people read (or was), and it seemed like a discussion point more than a new player since well, I'm not really a new player.

Thanks for reading guys your input is appreciated :)
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If going to pc, you've got better designed and supported mmos to choose from. Where xbox and ps4 really have nothing
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    some people say there are more people on consoldes, i don't know i play on pc where most people say the performance is much better... i see people everywhere so i don't think there is a population issue...

I guess console if you want to maximize population and pc if you want to maximize utility, performance and graphics....pc has also add ons
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never played on console so I can't compare, but I know a lot of players who have migrated to PC from console in the endgame community. They left a lot behind to do that, so they must've felt strongly about it.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    some people say there are more people on consoldes, i don't know i play on pc where most people say the performance is much better... i see people everywhere so i don't think there is a population issue...

I guess console if you want to maximize population and pc if you want to maximize utility, performance and graphics....pc has also add ons
    I think pvp is more popular on consoles.
    You also will have less boots and cheating.

Upside of pc is mods and performance, lots of the performance issue is client based.. My best tips would be to buy the game cheap for pc then travel to an zerg in vivec just to check out performance.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're really not addiced to ESO PvP like some of us, I would say stay away.
    Pc has much better MMOs.

Tho for consoles eso is a niche thing.(also no miats in consoles, It almost makes me consider getting a ps4)
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're really not addiced to ESO PvP like some of us, I would say stay away.
    Pc has much better MMOs.

Tho for consoles eso is a niche thing.(also no miats in consoles, It almost makes me consider getting a ps4)

like what? the only other mmo i think is as decent as eso (talking about "true" mmo) is GW2 which produces new content at a very slow rate and for me the lore is much harder to get into....
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At 10 bucks it's worth the shot. If you find you don't like it on PC or don't want to regrind everything and want to go back to console, at least you will always still have access to the PTS on PC afterwords.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Arcon2825
    Arcon2825
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With 1000+ hours spent on one platform I would never suggest anyone to switch and start all over again.
    It's just not worth the time you're losing.
    There is also no guarantee technical problems will catch you on PC as well.
    Xbox EU
    CP 1400+:
    Laeleith - Magicka Sorcerer DD, Vampire
    Maryssía - Stamina Dragonknight Tank
    Thaleidria - Magicka Templar Healer
    Zemene - Magicka Necromant DD
    Poohie - Magicka Warden DD
    Elyveya - Stamina Nightblade DD
  • Mgghool
    Mgghool
    ✭✭✭
    Bhaal5 wrote: »
    If going to pc, you've got better designed and supported mmos to choose from. Where xbox and ps4 really have nothing
    Please let us know what mmorpgs are you talking about. Enlighten us. I consider pc Eso my most favourite mmorpg right now, but I like to know what would you recommend.
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, maybe I can help u out - I switched from ps4 EU to PC EU ago 2 months.

Playerbase - IMO way more people on PC EU, I meet everywhere, almost every hour at the strangest places in the wild.

PvP - on ps4 EU we bad 1 campaign, on PC EU there are 2, Vivec and sotha SIL. I pvp a lot on sotha sil and its great.

Performance - no joke, first time I played on PC it felt like a new game. There is no comparison between doing dungeons/Dolmen with 60+fps as 20-30fps on console. Its a huge performance boost, even raids (hello ps4 15 fps raids) ATE most of the time 30-50fps and super enjoyable.

So, for me its night and day, and I played 2years ps4 on a very high lvl.

Keep in mind, I dont use any addobs beside skyshards, so that could make a difference. I even consider plaxing it with controller, since as a stamwarden I dont feel gimped at all with a controller (I agree mag NB etc is worse with controller, bit meele not).

• Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Welcome back :smiley:

PC has some big advantages for this genre. 60+fps will feel amazing, addons provide so many improved QOL features (Skyshards and Lorebooks are popular for obvious reasons, but Inventory Grid View is a blessing for item management), and if you invest in a good mouse with buttons on the thumb side (Razer Naga for example) you've got your entire skill bar right there. Finally, the population size is amazing thanks to the single-server technology, and keyboards mean people tend to be chattier on PC than on console.

Also, when buying the game, shop around online for legit sellers that offer the game at literally half the price Steam does. I got in trouble on this forum before for naming a 100% legit website that sells games because apparently that's "naming competition and not allowed" which makes absolutely no sense. But whatever, I can't argue with mods, so I'll steer clear of directing to you a great deal unfortunately. Just keep in mind that while Steam has a monopoly there are completely legit sites out there competing with Valve for your money, and offering amazing deals on this game. £13.99 for Morrowind and the base game.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you live in the UK, Game did a very good deal for the gold version. You get 4 dlc's and a horse, but it does make eso+ less value for money.

If you plan on getting plus, get the base version, with or without morrowind. If you don't plan on getting plus, gold version is the better bet.

I have heard that Steam can cause problems on pc, so I wouldn't bother with steam.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If i was starting from scratch, I'd buy the gold edition (not the morrowind and base game edition) and buy the morrowind version that doesn't include the base game. Currently works out cheaper. Then pick up the rest of the dlc via the CS as the crowns are currently on sale.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I moved from Xbox eu to pc and it’s been great. Xbox eu isn’t great from what I hear from people either leaving or going to NA from EU

With all the double xp events as well I’ve got 720+ CP and 8 alts fully levelled and now you can change traits the gear grind is no where near as bad either.

The quality of life addons are a massive bonus too, as well as performance. I hardly ever crash on pc where as Xbox was almost daily. Graphics and FPS are much better. All in all if you have the chance and don’t mind the re-grind then do it.

If you want a hand with starter gear too give me a shout in game and can sort you out.
  • IXxIronWolfxXI
    IXxIronWolfxXI
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the feedback guys, I think I'll buy the game. Should I just get the base game for now or get everything? Or just base game + morrowind/base game + gold edition?
  • Getern
    Getern
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the feedback guys, I think I'll buy the game. Should I just get the base game for now or get everything? Or just base game + morrowind/base game + gold edition?

I AM STOPPING U RIGHT HERE
    Before u do something about ESO, ask urself a question. Do u identify urself as casual? If u do, buy it (All those answers u got here are in 90% from casual POV). If u expect the game to be something more than just decorating ur house, stay away from it. You mentioned having experience with IC and Orsinium. If u liked it, be aware that the game is nothing like that anymore. Its laggy, unbalanced and u dont actually have to work to get stuff anymore. Easy mode.
    Edited by Getern on December 31, 2017 5:22PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome back!
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pc is for role players who enjoy high fps.

Console is the competitive platform because of a lack of CE, Miats and macros.
    Edited by KingYogi415 on December 31, 2017 6:29PM
  • jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok... your premise is that there is a time when moving to PC is a bad thing. Moving to PC is ALWAYS better. Especially if you have a high end gaming rig that makes consoles look like a pong or atari 2600 console. On top of that, the proprietary set up of consoles doesnt allow for mods to be applied. Even with the coming of cross platform, console will always be a hand held coleco football game from the 70s in comparison to a pc.

Now that you have the long answer... the short answer is ABSOLUTELY YES
    Edited by jaye63 on December 31, 2017 7:11PM
  • ajm1946
    ajm1946
    ✭✭✭
    YES YES YES
  • IXxIronWolfxXI
    IXxIronWolfxXI
    ✭✭✭
    Getern wrote: »

Before u do something about ESO, ask urself a question. Do u identify urself as casual? If u do, buy it (All those answers u got here are in 90% from casual POV). If u expect the game to be something more than just decorating ur house, stay away from it. You mentioned having experience with IC and Orsinium. If u liked it, be aware that the game is nothing like that anymore. Its laggy, unbalanced and u dont actually have to work to get stuff anymore. Easy mode.

Could you emphasise a little? Are you trying to say for example that VMSA is now easy/takes no skill etc?
  • jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭

Could you emphasise a little? Are you trying to say for example that VMSA is now easy/takes no skill etc?

Veteran Maelstrom Arena I would assume
  • Getern
    Getern
    ✭✭✭

If u done it back in a day, vMA is actually easy. That thing was design to teach ppl schems and work with it. Thats something what reqires time and at the end of the day is a great game teaching tool. Very casual resistant tho.

What might be worth mention, are trials. Its pretty similar to vMA, but this time u are dependent on other 11 players who might not neccesarly be competent. Trials are considered difficult cause Zenimax fought off most trial guilds with disablity to sell loot and resources changes. That is fact. Its hard to actually get to decent guild doing trials. Its not matter of skill, more of closed groups which do not neccasrly like idea of teaching new lad.

Beyond that overland content is a joke. You might struggle with zone bosses. They are definitely doable without other player, requires just a little bit more effort. You might remember IC times? Well, those mobs do not hit that hard anymore. They got nerfed to the ground, so casuals can go to IC do some fishing and not get killed on the way to the pond.
    Edited by Getern on December 31, 2017 8:25PM
  • ErilAq
    ErilAq
    ✭✭✭
    as far as MMO's on PC goes, you have WoW..... and this basically. Black Desert is a major grindfest, ArcheAge is a bot ridden disaster, SWToR is basically paying out the cahoots just to open inventory, GW2 is decent, but meh. Final Fantasy isn't bad as well (although not my style) everything else isn't even on the radar really.

so I would say yeah, pick it up if you can spare the $$ and enjoy the game. If it's not something you particularly enjoyed, then I would say leave be. Basically, do what you want to do.
    Internet armchair warriors attack! Yayayayayayaaaaaah!!!!
  • Getern
    Getern
    ✭✭✭
    ErilAq wrote: »
    as far as MMO's on PC goes, you have WoW..... and this basically. Black Desert is a major grindfest, ArcheAge is a bot ridden disaster, SWToR is basically paying out the cahoots just to open inventory, GW2 is decent, but meh. Final Fantasy isn't bad as well (although not my style) everything else isn't even on the radar really.

so I would say yeah, pick it up if you can spare the $$ and enjoy the game. If it's not something you particularly enjoyed, then I would say leave be. Basically, do what you want to do.

Well these are just examples, but are u in those types of games? As far I know BDO doesnt offer much on an endgame. The question is are u looking for competetive endgame? Vet trials or PVP? This is something existing in ESO, but definitelty far from competitive. I mentioned before its hard to get into competent groups. PVP? Still poor performance, for my taste its way worse than 2 years ago. Solo/Small Scale is...barely existing. Hard to enjoy with still heavy armor meta and broken classes (Stam Warden). Basically u can zerg or get zerged.

If u just wanna enjoy questing and decorating houses, thats game for u.

Its all about, what do u actually expect from the game.
  • IXxIronWolfxXI
    IXxIronWolfxXI
    ✭✭✭

Well these are just examples, but are u in those types of games? As far I know BDO doesnt offer much on an endgame. The question is are u looking for competetive endgame? Vet trials or PVP? This is something existing in ESO, but definitelty far from competitive. I mentioned before its hard to get into competent groups. PVP? Still poor performance, for my taste its way worse than 2 years ago. Solo/Small Scale is...barely existing. Hard to enjoy with still heavy armor meta and broken classes (Stam Warden). Basically u can zerg or get zerged.

Back when I played all I did was pretty much solo PvP, I ran VMSA to farm my weapons but never bothered with trials and such mainly because barely anyone ran them.
  • Getern
    Getern
    ✭✭✭

Back when I played all I did was pretty much solo PvP, I ran VMSA to farm my weapons but never bothered with trials and such mainly because barely anyone ran them.

Well I see u are my type of a man.

PVE and well vMA is less enjoyable due to neccesity of heavy attacking to sustain.

The most important one. Stamblades are probably best at potential solo play currently but it doesnt mean that u will enjoy like u did before. You were glass cannon before but now?... Sustain is way worse and the best are infamous resource poisons. They basically make ur skills cost more, very annoying. Even ganking doesnt work like it used to. In One Tamriel zerging was so bad ppl started massive gankfests (including myself). They nerfed key skills. After all, killing zerglings is bad, but zerging itself is good.

I personally last time had fun in PVP ganking in One Tamriel/Homestead, still it wasnt the same PVP experience in comparison to 2.3 and below.

Zenimax for some reason tries to get rid of 1vX/Small Scale gameplay. Every patch brings more nerfs to key class skills.

Now, when I see what I am dealing with I strongly don't recommend u buying the game. You would eventually regret that purchase and time wasted on the game.

You might ask, why do I still play? I don't play actively since Homestead (10 months). I am just loggin once after new patch to see what left from the game I used to love. What do I do on forums? Waiting for magic patch that will bring the joy back. Will it come? Most likely nope. Meanwhile I can make a good deed and give the players like u idea what the game is currently about.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...only stopped playing due to Cyrodill lag and console performance issues as well as the server being, well pretty quiet for an MMO.)

There's plenty of players on the PC servers but Cyrodiil lag is still a problem.

During the pvp event last year I took a character into an attack on a keep. Managed to persevere through the lag and then the game crashed just as it was about to be taken, leaving me without reward and dumping me back at entrance to Cyrodiil.

Did I bother any more with that event? No. Nor with Cyrodiil since. It's a grind way, way, way, way, way down on my priority list.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The trials community is more active on PC than console, and is a reason why we've seen a number of console trials runners migrate to PC.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch