Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®4: NA megaserver for maintenance – May 24, 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC) – 3:00PM EDT (19:00 UTC)

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/475853/
Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)

Legendary enchant on epic item

teladoy
teladoy
✭✭✭✭
What happens? Will automatically the enchant be reduced to an epic lvl? What happens if I upgrade the item to legendary later?
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be an epic quality item with a legendary enchant.
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And when you upgrade later, it is going to be a legendary item with a legendary enchant.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Vivec

currently playing...
    ... Dies-All-Day, Magicka Nightblade
    ... The Whipster, Magicka Dragonknight
    ... Mending, Magicka Templar
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also noticed that sometimes if you have an epic enchant on an epic item, and then upgrade it, you get a legendary enchant on a legendary item. I don't know if it was a bug sometime, or if it's intended, but I have multiple items that were upgraded like that, both crafted and dropped items.
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    I also noticed that sometimes if you have an epic enchant on an epic item, and then upgrade it, you get a legendary enchant on a legendary item. I don't know if it was a bug sometime, or if it's intended, but I have multiple items that were upgraded like that, both crafted and dropped items.

Yes it happened the same to me... why is that?
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This happens only with the original default enchant on the item. First, the item must be a dropped set item or a named item. Generic items and crafted items do not have default enchants. Second, the item must never have been enchanted before. That way, the original default enchant is still there.

If an item still has its original default enchant, then any upgrades in the item's quality will also upgrade the quality of the enchant. Any sort of enchantment placed on the item will forever eliminate the default enchant, even if the enchantment applied is the same as the default enchantment. For example, a Moondancer robe has a max magicka default enchant. If you enchant a purple Moondancer robe with a purple max magicka enchant, then when you upgrade the robe to gold, the enchant will not upgrade, because you had overridden the default purple max mag with your crafted max mag.

Also, there are some items (notably, the Syvarra/Bahraha weapons that drop from Thieves Guild heists) that drop with a "custom" enchantment already overriding their default enchantment. (Over a year ago, this was also a problem with WGT/ICP items that came from the key vaults, but that had since been fixed.)
    Edited by code65536 on October 29, 2017 9:27PM
    PC/NA ― Officer of Nightfighters ― Officer and former GM of The Merchant's Reserve
    @code65536
    DC – Breton Nightblade – DD – Snow Oryx   ☙
    DC – Dunmer Dragonknight – DD/Tank – Cinder Oryx   ☙
    EP – Altmer Sorcerer – DD – Elim Crake
    DC – Breton Templar – Healer – Zebulon the Spirit Bear
    AD – Bosmer Nightblade – DD – Higgs Bosmer
    DC – Argonian Dragonknight – Tank – Erects-the-Horns-of-War
    DC – Redguard Sorceress – DD – Rallina Oryx
    DC – Altmer Nightblade – DD – Joyèd

@code4096
    DC – Dunmer Nightblade – DD – Raven Oryx   ☙
    DC – Argonian Dragonknight – Tank – Takes-All-Blame
    DC – Altmer Sorceress – DD – Codegasm

The Flawless Conqueror  •  Dro-m'Athra Destroyer  •  Tick-Tock Tormentor  •  Voice of Reason  •  Bringer of Light  •  Blackrose Executioner

Add-Ons: Itemization BrowserLoot LogDeconstruction Junk MarkerRaidificatorPurge TrackervHoF Status PanelAsylum Status PanelDungeon TimerCombat AlertsSmart Looter

Guides: Sunspire Mechanics
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @code65536
    I could have sworn it also worked on some of the crafted gear. But I'm not keen on spending 40k worth of mats to test that. Next time I upgrade a crafted item I'll say if it's different from what you described.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @code65536
    I could have sworn it also worked on some of the crafted gear. But I'm not keen on spending 40k worth of mats to test that. Next time I upgrade a crafted item I'll say if it's different from what you described.

I guarantee you it does not happen with crafted items. If the item had the Infused trait, you may have witnessed a small increase in the enchantment stats due to the stronger effect of the Infused trait at higher qualities, but the enchantment quality is otherwise entirely decoupled from the item quality.
    PC/NA ― Officer of Nightfighters ― Officer and former GM of The Merchant's Reserve
    @code65536
    DC – Breton Nightblade – DD – Snow Oryx   ☙
    DC – Dunmer Dragonknight – DD/Tank – Cinder Oryx   ☙
    EP – Altmer Sorcerer – DD – Elim Crake
    DC – Breton Templar – Healer – Zebulon the Spirit Bear
    AD – Bosmer Nightblade – DD – Higgs Bosmer
    DC – Argonian Dragonknight – Tank – Erects-the-Horns-of-War
    DC – Redguard Sorceress – DD – Rallina Oryx
    DC – Altmer Nightblade – DD – Joyèd

@code4096
    DC – Dunmer Nightblade – DD – Raven Oryx   ☙
    DC – Argonian Dragonknight – Tank – Takes-All-Blame
    DC – Altmer Sorceress – DD – Codegasm

The Flawless Conqueror  •  Dro-m'Athra Destroyer  •  Tick-Tock Tormentor  •  Voice of Reason  •  Bringer of Light  •  Blackrose Executioner

Add-Ons: Itemization BrowserLoot LogDeconstruction Junk MarkerRaidificatorPurge TrackervHoF Status PanelAsylum Status PanelDungeon TimerCombat AlertsSmart Looter

Guides: Sunspire Mechanics
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does not work on crafted gear.
    But as for Monsters helms and dropped gear it will upgrade on original enchants.
    I'm not sure about the non-set gear, because ive never upgraded that.
    Olava Stone Fist Nord Templar (EP)
    Pepper Moonchild Dunmer MagDK (AD)
    Rincewind Redguard Stam Sorc (AD)
    General Jar Jar Binks Altmer Sorc (AD)
    Lord Vetinari Stamblade (DC)
    Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate...
    Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay