Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion thread for "Clockwork City – Introducing Transmutation"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
98bc7f9f3188b45c30c90f3d2e642991.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the Clockwork City – Introducing Transmutation blog article.

Ever wanted to change the Trait on your gear? With the introduction of the new Transmutation System coming alongside the Clockwork City DLC game pack, you can! Learn about this new crafting system in our Q&A article.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question - it says that there is a chance of earning transmutation crystals from "Random LFGs after your first"

Is this accountwide or per character? Could I use the random activity finder once on each of my characters (earning tonnes of that first run xp) and still get a chance for crystals?

Follow-up, it doesn't have to be random vet dungeons? so even normal mode dungeons have a chance to for crystals?

It's pretty hard to predict how this is going to affect the kinds of groups that form in the activity finder, but it certainly incentivises using it.
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on October 18, 2017 3:00PM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Astarana
    Astarana
    ✭✭✭
    Can you give us a ballpark of how many crystals will be needed for transmutation of an armor and a weapon?
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Astarana wrote: »
    Can you give us a ballpark of how many crystals will be needed for transmutation of an armor and a weapon?

50 if I remember.( each )
    Edited by Apherius on October 18, 2017 3:15PM
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If the ammount of crystal that we get from X or Y activity won't change in the final Patch note , can you write us these ammount please ?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the pictures in the article the number of Transmutation crystals will be 50 crystals.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From the pictures in the article the number of Transmutation crystals will be 50 crystals.

Yes, I believe they upped it to 50 after they introduced additional chances at earning the crystals on the PTS. You can only hold 100 crystals on your account - 200 if you're ESO+. But, you can leave transmutation geodes unopened if you are at your cap - but these will take up inventory slots.
  • VoidParticle
    VoidParticle
    ✭✭
    So there is still no point to motifs? If you guys would add the ability to change traits AND motifs based on crafting knowledge then this would be great. Right now motifs are only good if you decide to CRAFT an armor set. I mean now that you're letting the game generate a new item for you, why can't we change its motif too?
    Edited by VoidParticle on October 18, 2017 7:34PM
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really hoping that they would allow us to transmutate items for others. This would have been a great boon for master crafters and allowed us to reap the rewards. There are only a handful of "useful" or sought after traits, most people will just research, sharpened, infused, precise, divines and done. Allowing crafters the ability to do it for others would have really pushed people our way. Most BiS gear and weapons are BoP as is, but some drop sets are really good and being able to provide this service could have been profitable.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So there is still no point to motifs? If you guys would add the ability to change traits AND motifs based on crafting knowledge then this would be great. Right now motifs are only good if you decide to CRAFT an armor set. I mean now that you're letting the game generate a new item for you, why can't we change its motif too?

@michael217hillnub18_ESO Transmog is not transmutation. They are completely different systems. One is cosmetic, the other change values of the pieces. Not too long ago it was confirmed ESO is working on their version of "transmog" which is the cosmetic side of gear changing. Though they are treated separately because as mentioned, one is cosmetic and one is not.. so they're different systems altogether.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • WolfTickets
    WolfTickets
    ✭✭
    Is there a limit on how many times you can transmute a single item?
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rejoice.
  • Xoelarasizerer
    Xoelarasizerer
    ✭✭✭
    So if "random daily LFG" does indeed mean the Group & Activity Finder > Dungeon Finder > Daily Bonus Reward in Blue quality when joining either a Random Normal Dungeon or Random Veteran Dungeon a day, can I safely assume the guaranteed crystal will be in the "Premium Undaunted Exploration Supplies" mail and that there's a small chance a crystal can show up in the standard "Undaunted Exploration Supplies" mail too?
    Edited by Xoelarasizerer on October 18, 2017 10:49PM
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The implementation of transmutation is a dog's breakfast. ZoS have completely butchered what should always have been first and foremost part of crafting, because they have completely misunderstood it and wrongly believe it should only benefit the small percentage of the player base who do high level end game stuff. This has been discussed to death in the PTS thread, so suffice it to say that as one of those players who desperately want this but are effectively locked out of ever being able to access it because of ZoS's mind bogglingly stupid design, I am profoundly disappointed and terrified of how they are going to break transmogrification too.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you ever going to tell us what the "chance" of getting crystals from those sources that aren't guaranteed?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • MasterLenman
    MasterLenman
    ✭✭✭✭
    The implementation of transmutation is a dog's breakfast. ZoS have completely butchered what should always have been first and foremost part of crafting, because they have completely misunderstood it and wrongly believe it should only benefit the small percentage of the player base who do high level end game stuff. This has been discussed to death in the PTS thread, so suffice it to say that as one of those players who desperately want this but are effectively locked out of ever being able to access it because of ZoS's mind bogglingly stupid design, I am profoundly disappointed and terrified of how they are going to break transmogrification too.

If you're not doing high level end game stuff, why would you need high level end game gear?
    And do you actually consider a random normal dungeon to be too high level for you? If so, the problem isn't the traits your equipment.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there a limit on how many times you can transmute a single item?

No. You can change traits on a single item as many times as you like.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're not doing high level end game stuff, why would you need high level end game gear?
    And do you actually consider a random normal dungeon to be too high level for you? If so, the problem isn't the traits your equipment.

That was all covered in the other thread. The idea that only high end players benefit from trait changes is self-serving nonsense.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not stackable? The only silver lining to this is I can decon a bunch of divines gear I might need sitting in my bank because I can transmute.

One piece of gear being changed takes up the slots of 49 things in bank or inventory?

This is a new form of currency, like tel var or writ vouchers. It needs its own "account" in the bank.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

You guys do realize this new system is completely unfair to your majority player base, right? Most solo quest players do not do dungeons and other content that only drop these crystals; do you not think we would also like to change the trait on our gear as well- especially when ZOS makes major changes to traits? I could understand if you were going to put these crystals in the Crown Store, like you did with Mimic Stones, but if you are not... then yes, you created a system that discriminates against the majority of your players. Instead, we're stuck having to purchase or re-craft a new item including buying new materials to improve them to gold level.

I would ask that you please add the crystals to the Crown Store as a means for players like me to have access to these new systems you're adding to the game instead of creating something that adds another divide between players.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The implementation of transmutation is a dog's breakfast.
    My dogs eat pretty well, and are quite fond of breakfast, so I'm not entirely sure what that means...
    ZoS have completely butchered what should always have been first and foremost part of crafting, because they have completely misunderstood it and wrongly believe it should only benefit the small percentage of the player base who do high level end game stuff. This has been discussed to death in the PTS thread, so suffice it to say that as one of those players who desperately want this but are effectively locked out of ever being able to access it because of ZoS's mind bogglingly stupid design, I am profoundly disappointed and terrified of how they are going to break transmogrification too.
    The options for acquiring stones is hardly limited to 'high level end game stuff.' There may be bonuses to that content (and there should be), but it's far from out of reach.
    ADarklore wrote: »

You guys do realize this new system is completely unfair to your majority player base, right? Most solo quest players do not do dungeons and other content that only drop these crystals; do you not think we would also like to change the trait on our gear as well- especially when ZOS makes major changes to traits? I could understand if you were going to put these crystals in the Crown Store, like you did with Mimic Stones, but if you are not... then yes, you created a system that discriminates against the majority of your players.[/quote[]

I would ask that you please add the crystals to the Crown Store as a means for players like me to have access to these new systems you're adding to the game instead of creating something that adds another divide between players.
    Most solo quest players that do not do dungeons will be locked out of monster masks and dungeon set gear too (we'll pretend 'the golden' isn't a thing for the moment).

There is nothing wrong with having some reasonable restrictions in order to obtain certain things. You can't buy certain furnishings if you haven't completed certain quests or achieves.

Everything does not need to be accessible to everyone from the word "go," and placing the items in the Crown store is unnecessary and a lightweight version of P2W.
    Instead, we're stuck having to purchase or re-craft a new item including buying new materials to improve them to gold level.
    How, exactly, does the ability to change an item require to you recraft? Seems to me it's quite the opposite.

If you are limiting yourself regarding your playstyle, not taking part of everything in the game, why do you automatically presume you should have access to the benefit of everything in the game?

Alternative: If you do not wish to obtain these via one of a dozen different options provided, you are free to obtain your perfect trait they way you've had to all along.

It's an optional system - a quality of life improvement, most would say.

Use it, or don't?

And, for the record, one could argue that placing them in the Crown Store discriminates against people with lesser means to purchase crowns.

The total count could be improved. The method(s) of obtaining are both varied and reasonable .

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

You guys do realize this new system is completely unfair to your majority player base, right? Most solo quest players do not do dungeons and other content that only drop these crystals; do you not think we would also like to change the trait on our gear as well- especially when ZOS makes major changes to traits? I could understand if you were going to put these crystals in the Crown Store, like you did with Mimic Stones, but if you are not... then yes, you created a system that discriminates against the majority of your players. Instead, we're stuck having to purchase or re-craft a new item including buying new materials to improve them to gold level.

How about NO, like Hell No. Crown Store? You're joking right? Majority of the player base is solo? First that is your opinion and second I see lots of people in dungeons and trials. You are guaranteed a crystal for using the activity finder, designed specifically for those that do not have a ready-made team to do group content. We need more items in the crown store like we need a third row of teeth. Make some friends, join a guild, go Zerg surf in Cyrodill, you'll get plenty of crystals.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • MasterLenman
    MasterLenman
    ✭✭✭✭

That was all covered in the other thread. The idea that only high end players benefit from trait changes is self-serving nonsense.

I see your point, but I still disagree in one aspect, namely what counts as "high end". For me, the normal dungeons (which do award crystals) are not high end. I consider them basic and accessible to anyone and any playstyle.

Apart from that, I agree with what Merlin13KAGL wrote:
    If you are limiting yourself regarding your playstyle, not taking part of everything in the game, why do you automatically presume you should have access to the benefit of everything in the game?
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see your point, but I still disagree in one aspect, namely what counts as "high end". For me, the normal dungeons (which do award crystals) are not high end. I consider them basic and accessible to anyone and any playstyle.

Apart from that, I agree with what Merlin13KAGL wrote:
    I don't expect everything but anything to do with making or modifying weapons or armour is first and foremost a crafting thing, only ZoS have given us crafters the middle finger yet again. Again, dealt with in the other thread. They've butchered it and we know they'll never fix it because that would mean admitting they made a fundamental mistake.
    PC NA, PC EU

• Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Random Daily LFG
    • Undaunted Pledges
    • Trial Weekly Quests
    • Arena, Trial, and Battlegrounds Leaderboards
    • Alliance War Campaign End Rewards
    • Your first Rewards for the Worthy in a day
    • Maelstrom Arena (Veteran mode only)
    • Dragonstar Arena (Veteran mode only)

Why there is no information like how many crystals can we get from these activities? It's a basic information and should be included in the article or written here on forums. Because after reading this article I still don't know:

- How many crystals will I get for completing random daily dungeon? Will I get more for veteran random daily than normal one?
    - How many will I get for completing pledges? Will I get more for hard mode DLC pledge than base game ones?
    - How many will I get from trial weekly quest? Will I get more from DLC trial quests?
    - How many will I get for leaderboards? Is amount the same for PvE (trials, arenas) and PvP (battlegrounds) leaderboards? Does my position on leaderboards affects how many crystals can I get?

• Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really do love everything about this system. especially since it will be most people's primary way to get the ideal traits for their builds on rare items. You still have to work for it, but guaranteed drops from multiple different types of content is exactly the kind of workaround we needed versus the "literally might never get it" that we've been dealing with. Great show!!
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Demonhunter
    Demonhunter
    ✭✭
    So does this mean that the random group finder will be viable again? I can imagine this tool lighting up like a Christmas tree now that everybody is going to jump into it like headless chickens just to obtain transmutation stones. I'm delighted that at least I can get some sets that I always wanted to try too, it increases my chances to get them. I always wanted to complete dragon star arena too, now you can't even find a group but I hope it will change (wishful thinking).
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The article doesn't explain what LFG is. Not everybody knows. :/