Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

You have never played Skyrim.

• Grabmoore
    Grabmoore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheMaster wrote: »
    I’d be playing Skyrim. The only reason I even started playing this joke of an Elder Scrolls game is because of Skyrim. And I’m only playing it now in anticipation of TESVI. It’s hilarious that people actually think this game has more substance than Skyrim. For the buggy mess that Skyrim actually was, this game is a shell in comparison.

...but ...but Skyrim was boring after you mastered it.

ESO is the better choice for me, because you can interact with people.
    EU - PC - Ebonheart Pact
    Iggy Grabmoore - Argonian Magicka Templar | Nyctasha - Redguard Stamina Nightblade
    Do-Ra'Zhar - Khajiit Stamina DK | Ashmedi - Dunmer Magicka DK
    Vanya Darchow - AD Altmer Magicka Sorc | Malek gro'Kash - Orc Stam Sorc
    GM of "Handelshaus von Riften" - Trading & PvX Community
    Options
  • Dracofyre
    Dracofyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow, lot of "Bias", making compare apples to grapes.

each one is different, i got complete set edition, i never got far in Daggerfall and 2nd ES adventure, and just made 20 level character in Morrowwind (not finished/hard to play), Oblivion (Done), and Skyrim (main arc finished), included DCL packs,

someone post that wanted Warder, i am sure someone would mod for those classic ES for pet summonings.

ESO are more like on steroids, loaded with more quests.
    if you want to try solo ES adventures and easy to play, both Oblivion and Skyrim seem to have same combat engine.

Morrowwind are base on "LUCK" in combat unless if you knew the moves, if you start at beginning, skills are too low and you missed alot, you would spend many days level up/train up with rats or weak bugs, there are some hostile combat npc that are stronger and with orc-made armor or ebony set.
    very boring, hit jump on space bar all day to get higher jump range while level ups.
    that why some other players used level up mod to skip leveling process.

GOSH!!! i hate ESO jump, it look so gimped and pathetic, need just notch up for better jumps.

oops, forgot to mention about morrowwind, assassins popped often when you sleep.
    Edited by Dracofyre on October 5, 2017 5:18PM
    Options
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grabmoore wrote: »
    I’d be playing Skyrim. The only reason I even started playing this joke of an Elder Scrolls game is because of Skyrim. And I’m only playing it now in anticipation of TESVI. It’s hilarious that people actually think this game has more substance than Skyrim. For the buggy mess that Skyrim actually was, this game is a shell in comparison.

As if there was anything to "master" about Skyrim. Enemies were so easy to beat even if you didn't upgrade your gear to an ungodly level using the potion loop, there were no skills to speak of except some rather generic spells, only one gear set that mostly buffed your crafting and so on. You could be basically brain dead and still play that game :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Options
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've slowly been coming to realize that Skyrim is actually the worst main series TES game.
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're thinking about going back to Skyrim, grab my "Level 1" mod and have some fun ...
    bye1.gif
    Options
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    prob both.
    PC
    Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vimora wrote: »
    I'm asking cuz I've actually never played it. ES was Morrowind for me. I was bored with Oblivion and never got into Skyrim. But now, I'm thinking... why did I come here? This is nothing like the original ES experience I enjoyed so much in Morrowind. *sigh*

If Morrowind is your benchmark, you'll find Skyrim the least Elder Scrolls-like in the main series. No attributes, no spell crafting, no class types, unique Nord faction replacements of the Mage's and Fighter's guilds. The combat is better at least. Now that said, I don't know what in particular you like about Morrowind. I had an online friend who loved Morrowind, never got onboard with ESO, but eventually got Skyrim and loved it because it was more simplified, doing away with maximizing attribute point on leveling and such. So pretty much, you'll only really know by trying yourself.
    comics-virtualshackles-games-Skyrim-619827.jpeg

Maybe this is just me, but I prefer the character creation on the left. I've tried recreating an ESO character in Skyrim, unmodded, and the results were rather drab.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine you've never played Skyrim. Would you rather play Skyrim or ESO right now? And yeah... no idea how to add a poll, sorry.

skyrim was awesome, but eso is way better
    Options
  • Morvane
    Morvane
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never played it
    DC Dunmer Sorcerer since 2014
    @morvayn54, PC/EU
    Options
  • Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played skyrim being a TES player since Arena I wasn't impressed
    ESO is much better

Skyrim to me really wasn't an actual TES title, and it has one of the single most toxic communities in gaming, in my opinion the vast majority of toxicity in this community are from Skyrim players. it's pretty obvious that groups like the angry army showed up just to dump on ESO, they have even admitted it, they want more Skyrim and they want it now and they will have tantrums until they get it.
    Edited by Balamoor on October 5, 2017 7:02PM
    Options
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim has a way deeper and darker atmosphere, which is not possible to achieve in generally childish looking ESO.

Even with the murders with a lot of gore, ESO looks less serious than travelling alone deep into dungeons in Skyrim, scouting vast underwater pools or roaming Dwarven ruins full of falmers and spiders.

ESO is a great game but it's not better than Skyrim. With all the pros and cons they both are rather equal.
    I miss Skyrim so much and miss those 1200+ real hours spent with this game according to Steam.
    I still didn't manage to gather and read all the lore books in Skyrim...
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
    Options
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine you've never played Skyrim. Would you rather play Skyrim or ESO right now? And yeah... no idea how to add a poll, sorry.

ESO: Go anywhere in Tamriel, do anything, can just ignore all the Nords. ★★★★★

Oblivion, Morrowind: Go anywhere in Cyrodil/Vvardenfell, kind of annoying game mechanics (very technical mechanics better fit a turn-based game, not real-time action). ★★★☆☆

Skyrim: Frozen wasteland full of stupid, loud, drunken Nords and their moronic complaining about who's Jarl today. ★☆☆☆☆
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    ESO.
    Skyrim just doesn't have enough content, especially compared to earlier Elder Scrolls single-player games.

lol, no wait, you're serious? I've put well over 200 hours into Skyrim and I haven't even done HALF of the game yet. There's stuff to do EVERYWHERE.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The wonderful thing about Skyrim is that you can mod the hell out of it and make it whatever you want it to be. Want more content?......there's mods for that. Want more difficult enemies?......there's mods for that. Want better houses?......there's mods for that. Want more erotic gameplay?......there's.....well, you get the point.

I put a lot of hours into Skyrim and enjoyed every minute of it. I, also enjoy ESO and have played it longer than Skyrim but that's because, being an MMO, new content is constantly being added. I can't choose which one is better because they are both good for what they are.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
    Options
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit ESO to play Skyrim SE. Played all the way through and got all the achievements for a second time. Now am back on ESO. The only time I play any other game is when my internet is down.

Options
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The choices should have been Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim or ESO.

When ESO servers are on maintenance I play one of those three.
    Options
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk about you all but this thread is kinda makin me wanna dl Skyrim again and play that *** lol!

Honestly, I've been here for over 3 yrs its practically the only game I've played since it was released and I find myself logging in just to check on guildies and stand around for about 30 min before I'm logging back out, in the past few weeks. Then I stare at my computer and go... what now? First time since release Ive actually contemplated taking a break, I think I'm just bored, idk.

I enjoyed the 300 hours or so I put into Skyrim when it came out, havent played it in years, may be time to revisit.

To actually answer OP's question, to me they aren't comparable. Both have their own identity and have provided hours upon hours of fun. I like.... BOTH! *gasp :D
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Two different games, I'll always happily play both and would no more think of choosing between them than if you asked me to choose between a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, or between a steak and an ice cream. Incidentally, I play both Skyrim SE and ESO and don't have a single addon or mod installed in either.

However, there's no getting away from the fact that one is intended to be played for a few weeks while the other is intended to be played for a few years. Often I find that the people who complain loudest about ESO don't really get that, and think that they need to rush to the "endgame" (whatever that is in a constantly evolving MMO) at which point they complain endlessly about lack of content, balance, and so on. So after a few weeks they're bored with a game that was intended to be played for years but tell anyone who advises them to take things more slowly to go and play Skyrim, which was intended to be played for weeks -ah, the irony :wink: !
    Edited by Tandor on October 5, 2017 7:50PM
    Options
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do people not read titles anymore? It clearly says “you have never played Skyrim,” as in “you’re not suffering from fatigue.” I’m mostly done with Skyrim now, but I played the hell out of it when it first came out. It was mystifying. As far as interacting with people, there are much better games available. Personally, seeing people run around with crocodile heads and pumpkins on their heads just ruins the appeal of player interaction. It hardly even feels like Elder Scrolls anymore. The only time it even remotely does is when I don’t have to look at that crap during solo instances.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do people not read titles anymore? It clearly says “you have never played Skyrim,” as in “you’re not suffering from fatigue.”

Ignoring the question of what having played Skyrim has to do with suffering fatigue, did you only read the title and ignore the original post? The OP specifically states "Imagine you've never played Skyrim". (my bold)
    Options
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd play ESO over un-modded Skyrim any day. The writing is better, the characters more interesting, the environments far more varied. I also think the gameplay is far deeper and allows for more player-expression. Somehow, the addition of classes and set skill lines gives me a deeper sense of freedom.

I still have a lot of problems with the game, but you'll never catch me saying it's bad.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
    Options
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO

Skyrim was a bad game

(I got banned once for saying that here so i hope it doens't happen again)
    Options
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You really can't make a fair comparison. Skyrim includes one land area; therefore, it's environment is not as varied as ESO, which encompasses all of Tamriel's geological/ecological splendor.

That said, I prefer the Nords in Skyrim over the goofy Nords portrayed in ESO. I also prefer the look and feel of Skyrim in the single-player game over the look and feel of Skyrim in ESO.

Would I choose Skyrim or ESO, assuming I never played Skyrim? I'd choose Skyrim. However, I'd soon migrate back to ESO to enjoy everything the rest of Tamriel has to offer. Skyrim is great, but finite. ESO marches forward.

Now, when TES6 is (eventually) released . . .

Edited by The_Lex on October 5, 2017 8:38PM
    Options
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    ESO.
    Skyrim just doesn't have enough content, especially compared to earlier Elder Scrolls single-player games.

That depends on your playstyle. I consider a TES game "finished" once I've completed all the quests (or do repeatable radiant quests at least once), and for that playstyle Skyrim is far longer than the previous TES games. Usually takes me 80 hours for Morrowind, 70 hours for Oblivion, and 120 hours for Skyrim. Minus 10 or so hours for each that I've spent faffing about.

Though I'd personally rather play ESO. Once I'm done everything in Skyrim, all I can do is start a new character. In ESO, I can keep going with my main character as long as I want, either doing dungeons, farming, PvP, etc.
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
    Options
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Do people not read titles anymore? It clearly says “you have never played Skyrim,” as in “you’re not suffering from fatigue.”

Ignoring the question of what having played Skyrim has to do with suffering fatigue, did you only read the title and ignore the original post? The OP specifically states "Imagine you've never played Skyrim". (my bold)
    It has to do with the clear intention of the topic. I fail to see how the addition of the word “imagine” changes anything. You were meant to look at this topic and think back to the anticipation of Skyrim’s release, the first day you got it, the first character you created. How you feel about it after having played it for hours on end shouldn’t come into play. That defeats the purpose. The thought should be “would you rather experience Skyrim over again for the first time (remembering your first experience) or play ESO”? For me, it’s Skyrim. Not even close. ESO, while good for an MMO, is a mediocre game at best.
    Edited by ThePrinceOfBargains on October 5, 2017 9:06PM
    Options
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Lydia says (or more accurately yells)

"Skyrim is for the Nords".

I miss Lydia sometimes.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

It has to do with the clear intention of the topic. I fail to see how the addition of the word “imagine” changes anything. You were meant to look at this topic and think back to the anticipation of Skyrim’s release, the first day you got it, the first character you created. How you feel about it after having played it for hours on end shouldn’t come into play. That defeats the purpose. The thought should be “would you rather experience Skyrim over again for the first time (remembering your first experience) or play ESO”? For me, it’s Skyrim. Not even close. ESO, while good for an MMO, is a mediocre game at best.

Well if you want to reinterpret the original post by taking words out of it then fine, but I tend to read what the OP says and then respond to that. However, if you're really that praising of Skyrim and that critical of ESO why are you even here? And please, don't pretend you're only here until a game that hasn't even been designed yet let alone begun development sees the light of day. Is there really nothing else you can do to entertain yourself than play a "joke of a game" for several years until something else comes along?
    Options
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im playing a new skyrim campaign right now actually. ESO is not hard to put down, after you've been playing for a while.

Skyrim, with mods is just one of those awesome games you can get readdicted to every 4-6 months. I still die in skyrim on adept, mostly from stupidity but still, its a top 1-5 all time game, ESO is not.
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only play one game at a time. I came to ESO just over a year ago from 2 years in Skyrim, preceeded by 4 years in Oblivion.

ESO vs Skyrim?

I guess I'd have to say ESO overall.

Here's my quick (and likely incomplete) list of significant (to me) factors:

ESO is better...
    - Great skill usage mechanics compared to the atrocious character hand micromanagement required by Skyrim.
    - Magnificently massive scale that dwarfs Skyrim.
    - Staves are FINALLY a good, effective primary weapon.
    - Other players means being a healer is fun.

Skyrim is better...
    - It is single player. Despite my ESO-inspired love of healing, overall, I prefer not having the distraction of other players.
    - It can be modded to exactly your taste. There are no 'balance' considerations beyond your own personal preferences that you can mod.
    - Horse combat + horses don't disappear when you dismount.
    - Bow + magic blends wonderfully - unlike in ESO. This is important to me since Skyrim and Oblivion supported a mystic archer (uses only a bow as weapon and backs it up with support magic); ESO does not well support that concept; rather, ESO falls victim to the trope that traditionally pushes daggers on archers and staves on mages. My bow/bow stamsorc cannot hold a candle for my staff/staff magsorc.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • Axoinus
    Axoinus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played about 100 hours of Skyrim. Two game crashing bugs ceased my progress and never went back. Partly my fault since I tend to always overwrite the last save.

There is a Skyrim Survival mode coming soon. I might give it another shot then.

For a change of pace, I go with FO4. Sometimes the fantasy stuff gets old and I want something a little more gritty.

Options