The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

You have never played Skyrim.

Vimora
Vimora
✭✭✭✭
Imagine you've never played Skyrim. Would you rather play Skyrim or ESO right now? And yeah... no idea how to add a poll, sorry.
  • Bajlk
    Bajlk
    ✭✭✭
    I never played it.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO.
    Skyrim just doesn't have enough content, especially compared to earlier Elder Scrolls single-player games.
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    I've honestly wanted to go back to it now that the enhanced edition is out. But I jsut dunno. Something about entering riverwood for the umpteenth time usually kills my mood. Maybe if they released those role-playing mods on console where I could spawn anywhere/be anything.

Until then though, the writs, dailies, and wb's call for me
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine you've never played 'Vortex 3066: The chase of the teddy bears' , would you rather play that or ESO ?
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm asking cuz I've actually never played it. ES was Morrowind for me. I was bored with Oblivion and never got into Skyrim. But now, I'm thinking... why did I come here? This is nothing like the original ES experience I enjoyed so much in Morrowind. *sigh*
    Edited by Vimora on October 5, 2017 2:42PM
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don't seem to like ESO very much, so yeah, go try Skyrim.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vimora wrote: »
    I'm asking cuz I've actually never played it. ES was Morrowind for me. I was bored with Oblivion and never got into Skyrim. But now, I'm thinking... why did I come here? This is nothing like the original ES experience I enjoyed so much in Morrowind. *sigh*

Umm.... don,t go playing Skyrim if Morrowind is what you want. Go play Morrowind: Tamriel Rebuilt with the graphic extender

Skyrim is honestly a very good game but its halfway between oblivion and morrowind with much better graphics. The handhelding in Skyrim can get crazy; The character dumbing down (from oblivion) is increased. The world itself is neat (zones, variety of dungeons, quests, items, shrines, etc....). Its honestly overall pretty good. But it still doesnt allow the freedom of character complexity that morrowind/daggerfall allowed.

TLDR: I honestly suggest you do go play Skyrim. But do not, for a single second, expect Morrowind. Just try it as a game completly unrelated to Elders Scrolls, and youll like it.
    Edited by Spacemonkey on October 5, 2017 2:46PM
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    comics-virtualshackles-games-Skyrim-619827.jpeg

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Spaghettiknight
    ESO. Skyrim just flat out sucks. It lacks interesting quests (and so much of the game is going through Draugr infested crypts), the stort sucks,. It lacks daedra, has poor guild story, has a boring magic and enchantment system, and the world is just dull and uninteresting. It was dumbed down so it would pander to literally everyone, Elder Scrolls fan or not. Not even mods can save it since there are so few world expanding mods.

ESO on the other hand still has boring guild quest lines but it has a lot of interesting quests. The faction stories are pretty good (EP is kind of meh), there's huge variety in the world between different zones, and a lot of different types of enemies. A lot of things are fleshed out through actual dialogue, cutscenes, and gameplay which is how backstory should be explained.

In short, ESO is everything Skyrim isn't. Skyrim is one of those games that's just so overhyped it seems good. It's passable at best ignoring it being an Elder Scrolls game and it's bad as an Elder Scrolls game.
    Edited by Spaghettiknight on October 5, 2017 3:00PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering I have played both and have been drawn to spend more hours in this game; it would actually be ESO.

Don't get me wrong; I like the world better, and the AI better in Skyrim but I am driven more by goals to see how a build will fair in PvP that drives me to do PvE. When its just me with nothing but PvE, even if its really good pve; I just lose interest going on yet another draugr/thief filled dungoen or fighting another dragon
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh. Tbh I wouldnt even play Skyrim if I havent played Morrowind and Oblivion. :D
    I like ESO more than Skyrim, it also suffers from being dumbed down, but at least it provides more variety in character types and more content.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Jurand80
    Jurand80
    ✭✭✭✭
    W3?
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vimora wrote: »

Umm.... don,t go playing Skyrim if Morrowind is what you want. Go play Morrowind: Tamriel Rebuilt with the graphic extender

Skyrim is honestly a very good game but its halfway between oblivion and morrowind with much better graphics. The handhelding in Skyrim can get crazy; The character dumbing down (from oblivion) is increased. The world itself is neat (zones, variety of dungeons, quests, items, shrines, etc....). Its honestly overall pretty good. But it still doesnt allow the freedom of character complexity that morrowind/daggerfall allowed.

TLDR: I honestly suggest you do go play Skyrim. But do not, for a single second, expect Morrowind. Just try it as a game completly unrelated to Elders Scrolls, and youll like it.

Thanks, that's helpful. I've been waiting for Skywind forever. In the meantime, I got hooked on mmos, to the point where it's really hard for me to go back to single-players. I think I will start exploring my options here. Starting probably with some enhanced version of Morrowind.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to answer since I wouldn't be playing ESO if I had never played Skyrim.
    And I've played enough Skyrim for the next 15 years or so to come.

It's also hard to compare, since socialization is a BIG, BIG aspect of ESO (I'd have quit after two months if it had been a single-player game) and Skyrim did not have that.

That being said, and although I like ESO a lot, I miss the level of detail and "perfection-seeking" aspect that transpired in Skyrim and Witcher 3.

• Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you want to play a mediocre mmo with the elder scrolls license, play ESO. But only if you have friends which can play with you.
    if you want to play a single player game, that lets you believe its a rpg, play Skyrim. But only if you are willing to mod it heavily. because in this case, it can be a ton of fun.
    you could also wait a little bit for either the skyrim multiplayer mod (skyrim together? skyrim co-op? cant remember the name) and enjoy it with friends or wait till the script extender and all the useful mods are ported to the 64 bit version, which makes skyrim a lot more stable with mods.
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    It can be hard to compare an MMO to a single player RPG, but I'd much rather play ESO than Skyrim. I do have many more hours in this game.

Skyrim was ok. It's beautiful when modded and I had fun just RPing with my companion mods (like Inigo) but the game lacked interesting quests and I wasn't a fan of the story, and no mods can fix that. The guild quests were especially bad, as well as the hand holding. Not a bad game by any means but I was a bit disappointed after it was hyped so much.

I preferred Oblivion and Morrowind (and Skyrim was my first TES game so no nostalgia). Oblivion has its own flaws, and some things Skyrim does better, but its quests were a lot more thought out and fun.

Morrowind is the one I enjoyed most. I liked the story, setting, lore and Dunmer culture. Also people still mod this game so I spent hundreds of hours in it exploring Tamriel Rebuilt and Julan Kaushibael is the best companion mod I've played with.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and quite a few mods and fan mode expansions for those games, but they became boring after you finished training your character, did all quests, acquired all gear etc. There was basically 0 replayability. Even if another single player TES game came out, I will just ignore it. In fact I pretty much did that when FO4 came out, having played all 4 previous games, since I had already started playing ESO. ESO is fun since there are different classes and you can play in coop and against other players, which those games lacked.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    ESO.
    Skyrim just doesn't have enough content, especially compared to earlier Elder Scrolls single-player games.

this ^
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    grannas211 wrote: »
    Oblivion

This, Who doesn't want a Wizards tower (Frostcrag for those that never played it)

Come to think of it....

@ZOS_GinaBruno Can we have this as the next house in the crown store? preferably with the garden and all the good stuff growing in it.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would play Skyrim... if someone could help me find a mod to summon a bear, since I would remake my Warden then :p
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    I would play Skyrim... if someone could help me find a mod to summon a bear, since I would remake my Warden then :p

just look at the nexus, surely you will find a mod that suits you. there are several druid mods, i think. you might also find mods where you can tame animals in the wild.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »

@Tryxus https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30638/?

He even has Fus Ro Dah shout.
    Edited by Hippie4927 on October 5, 2017 3:45PM
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO. Skyrim's probably my least favourite elder Scrolls game.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d be playing Skyrim. The only reason I even started playing this joke of an Elder Scrolls game is because of Skyrim. And I’m only playing it now in anticipation of TESVI. It’s hilarious that people actually think this game has more substance than Skyrim. For the buggy mess that Skyrim actually was, this game is a shell in comparison.
    Edited by ThePrinceOfBargains on October 5, 2017 4:01PM
  • iiYuki
    iiYuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim was *** compared with past TES games, so ESO in its current form
    "Play how you want... unless its not how we intended you to play in which case we'll nerf it".
    - ZO$

- The ZO$ Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUJWP_ebsQ
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Souls

What a foolish question
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim probably my favorite game of all time, but ESO is right up there
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    I like skyrim, but I'd still play ESO more. Skyrim had these boring and tedious quests, uninteresting enemies, pretty much no main story. The lore was there, just as interesting stuff, but you had to dig deep to get anything. I liked roaming and doing side activities more in skyrim though (I don't know, like playing with a bow and hunting game, or just fusrodah enemies out of cliffs for fun, or just killing everyone and stockpiling the bodies... XD ). Every now and then you could find a great mod though, that would add a lot to the game, to make it worth playing for another ten or so hours.

ESO has live people and interactions. This is what makes it much more interesting for me. Not that I didn't get bored with ESO anyway.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pick eso. I have played the 3 previous Elder scrolls games quite a bit over the past 10 years. So much so that they no longer hold my interest. I have played a bit of modded skyrim se but I still quickly get bored with it and turn it off.