The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crazy Hard Mode in Vet Ruins of Mazzatun

mobyvixen
mobyvixen
So, a few other members of one of my guilds and I have formed a group to tackle the achievements for Shadow of the Hist skins. One of these is to do hard mode on both dungeons and we are really struggling with Ruins of Mazzatun. This is a solid group of experienced players on toons they know well, all max CP and geared up with good solid gear as well as rotations. We breeze through the rest of the dungeon and have no issue on regular vet (non-hard) mode of Tree-Minder but that hard mode just brings us too much at once...Stone Shapers, shadow bosses, totems, statues, OP archers, you get the idea. I am just wondering if we are really missing something. We have even burned through the shadow bosses just to have a totem land next to us while somebody else just got statues and we get sucked dry of everything by the totem so we die die and die some more.

I am wondering if anybody has done this at full cp160 (as we know plenty of people who scaled it down before 1T to get the skins) and maybe even done it recently as there is no telling if something changed, even unintentionally with various updates that have come out. I know it is almost unthinkable but sometimes it happens. If you have done this at cp160 and know the pain I am talking about and have some words of wisdom or can point out something we might just be missing it would be ever so appreciated.

Thanks!
Edited by mobyvixen on December 15, 2016 2:18AM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its doable, I do HM everytime its the pledge. Sure it takes a few times sometimes cause of the RNG with the Statue blue thing, if it goes on the healer at the end it SUCKS and will most likely cause a wipe if in the wrong situation, but it can still be survived with enough self sustain from the group. Just try again and keep at it. Get a DK tank and chain in all the adds and interrupt the stone shapers and burn the totems. And TP healer with Shards and Elemental Drain and Repentance for sustain and you will do great.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the toughest 4-man group dungeon fight in the game atm. Keep trying - you'll beat it eventually :)
  • mobyvixen
    mobyvixen
    Its doable, I do HM everytime its the pledge. Sure it takes a few times sometimes cause of the RNG with the Statue blue thing, if it goes on the healer at the end it SUCKS and will most likely cause a wipe if in the wrong situation, but it can still be survived with enough self sustain from the group. Just try again and keep at it. Get a DK tank and chain in all the adds and interrupt the stone shapers and burn the totems. And TP healer with Shards and Elemental Drain and Repentance for sustain and you will do great.

I appreciate your feedback here but we have a dk tank and a templar healer, along with a couple hard hitting dps'ers but we get hit with stoneshapers, totems, statues, and shadow boss all at tha same time. We try burning the main boss really fast then try burning her really slow to see if there is some timing about how these adds and other mechanics spawn so we don't get them all at once. If they are all out at once, there is no way the tank can chain the adds without getting killed as the action takes too long the tanks shield has to be up especially if chudan is up and spitting. Even certain buffs are risky while taunting a stoneshaper and shadow boss as it could mean 1 second of vulnerability and instant death for the tank. The archers seem to do anywhere from 4-6k damage with just regular hits as well.

We have spent two nights with about 2-3 hour each time to try and beat this boss on hard mode and are just trying to figure out what we are missing. When we call it a day and finish the dungeon without reading the scroll, it is just amazeballs how easy regular vet mode is compared to hard.

We think speed run and even no death run are going to be a piece of cake compared to this stupid hard mode which is why we are so puzzled. We do hard mode on a lot of vet dungeons but this is just so OP to us...too much all at once. Is that just RNG out of control or is is timed? That is what we are trying to figure out.

Thanks again for the feedback!
  • mobyvixen
    mobyvixen
    Vaoh wrote: »
    It's the toughest 4-man group dungeon fight in the game atm. Keep trying - you'll beat it eventually :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! We plan to keep trying. We have a good group and are not easily beaten down and we have fun while dying too so we intend to get those skins but it is just freakin' amazing how hard it is compared to non-hard mode. Just freakin' amazing!
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She won't put statues on whoever she is aggroed to, have the healer taunt her when she gets to execute and make sure the tank has some DPS on their bar.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Inig0
    Inig0
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend having the tank chain in the stone shaper while it's casting it's rock skill. You have to wait until it's channeling it to chain it in to interrupt. You need to make sure no one interrupts/ stuns it before otherwise it will have cc immunity when you need to chain it. The reason why you use chains (or luminous shares) is because the type of cc that it is. (Hard cc) The damage output from that rock skill usually wipes the group. Especially if the healer has to shoot the statues. Also I would use the mini boss phase to get your ultis and resources completely up that way you're ready to burn down the totem and stone shaper if/ when it spawns. The next hurtle is getting lucky during her enrage because someone usually gets the statue mechanic there. As a tank I run guard and vigor to help keep ppl alive.

Good luck!
    GM: Mechanically Challenged
    In game - @Inig0
    Sorc - Inigo- Beautiful Chocolate Man
    NB - Raphiki - Beautiful Chocolate Man
    Temp - Ineegø - ınıgo
    DK - Inigø - Alfeus - Down for Maintenance
    Warden - Help I Made a Warden
    PC NA
    Youtube Stuffs
    Only the best memes die twice
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    mobyvixen wrote: »
    So, a few other members of one of my guilds and I have formed a group to tackle the achievements for Shadow of the Hist skins. One of these is to do hard mode on both dungeons and we are really struggling with Ruins of Mazzatun. This is a solid group of experienced players on toons they know well, all max CP and geared up with good solid gear as well as rotations. We breeze through the rest of the dungeon and have no issue on regular vet (non-hard) mode of Tree-Minder but that hard mode just brings us too much at once...Stone Shapers, shadow bosses, totems, statues, OP archers, you get the idea. I am just wondering if we are really missing something. We have even burned through the shadow bosses just to have a totem land next to us while somebody else just got statues and we get sucked dry of everything by the totem so we die die and die some more.

I am wondering if anybody has done this at full cp160 (as we know plenty of people who scaled it down before 1T to get the skins) and maybe even done it recently as there is no telling if something changed, even unintentionally with various updates that have come out. I know it is almost unthinkable but sometimes it happens. If you have done this at cp160 and know the pain I am talking about and have some words of wisdom or can point out something we might just be missing it would be ever so appreciated.

Thanks!

I've done it on full cp, and it's a hell of rng and dpsrace to get it done fluently. The statues are just killing it, I was the designated healer, and mostly when I got the statues, we wiped as I couldn't heal anymore, especially when her health dropped lower and she got I her enrage phase. I actually used the healing ultimate as soon as it got tricky, and that kept the group alive long enough to burn her down.

PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • mobyvixen
    mobyvixen
    Inig0 wrote: »
    I would recommend having the tank chain in the stone shaper while it's casting it's rock skill. You have to wait until it's channeling it to chain it in to interrupt. You need to make sure no one interrupts/ stuns it before otherwise it will have cc immunity when you need to chain it. The reason why you use chains (or luminous shares) is because the type of cc that it is. (Hard cc) The damage output from that rock skill usually wipes the group. Especially if the healer has to shoot the statues. Also I would use the mini boss phase to get your ultis and resources completely up that way you're ready to burn down the totem and stone shaper if/ when it spawns. The next hurtle is getting lucky during her enrage because someone usually gets the statue mechanic there. As a tank I run guard and vigor to help keep ppl alive.

Good luck!

I will definitely try this, so long as Chudan is not up and spitting at me as that is like instadeath if I don't have my shield up. It seems if we burn her fast then Chudan comes up before adds, then adds come up, then a totem and status almost always appear and we wipe. If we burn her slow we get adds and work on them then somebody gets statues then Chudan shows up and once again, if stoneshaper is still up we wipe...if a totem is in that mix then obviously we seem to wipe faster. I will try the interrupt when his animation for the rock throw starts and see if I can time that sucker right. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • mobyvixen
    mobyvixen
    yodased wrote: »
    She won't put statues on whoever she is aggroed to, have the healer taunt her when she gets to execute and make sure the tank has some DPS on their bar.

This makes sense since I am tank and never get statues...we are willing to try anything so we might give the healer a chance to tank this whench. Thanks!
  • mobyvixen
    mobyvixen
    Inig0 wrote: »
    I've done it on full cp, and it's a hell of rng and dpsrace to get it done fluently. The statues are just killing it, I was the designated healer, and mostly when I got the statues, we wiped as I couldn't heal anymore, especially when her health dropped lower and she got I her enrage phase. I actually used the healing ultimate as soon as it got tricky, and that kept the group alive long enough to burn her down.

Yes, I think our healer tends to have nova for some damage mitigation as well as its synergy and war horn when we want to burn something like stoneshaper or the boss during that final enrage phase but this might be worth a try just so we can complete the frickin thing. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Edited by mobyvixen on December 17, 2016 4:50PM
  • Ryuuhime
    Ryuuhime
    ✭✭✭
    I've done it on CP160. We used 2 stamina DDs and saved ultimates for shortly after her enrage phase - Tank used Horn, healer used Nova. Our DDs also had self heals (vigor, surge, blood craze, bloodthirst...) for when the healer got statue duty so we were pretty safe there.

The reason we chose stamina dds was so that after burning the totem and running out of resources, the healer would send shards so we both had a good amount of stamina after it and could burn through the boss as fast as possible.

Blood Craze and Bloodthirst are massive helps in case the healer gets statue duty in the end (in our case, almost all the time...) Might seem overkill on the self heals, but it got us through it. :p
  • mobyvixen
    mobyvixen
    Ryuuhime wrote: »
    I've done it on CP160. We used 2 stamina DDs and saved ultimates for shortly after her enrage phase - Tank used Horn, healer used Nova. Our DDs also had self heals (vigor, surge, blood craze, bloodthirst...) for when the healer got statue duty so we were pretty safe there.

The reason we chose stamina dds was so that after burning the totem and running out of resources, the healer would send shards so we both had a good amount of stamina after it and could burn through the boss as fast as possible.

Blood Craze and Bloodthirst are massive helps in case the healer gets statue duty in the end (in our case, almost all the time...) Might seem overkill on the self heals, but it got us through it. :p

Frankly I am not sure there is any such thing as overkill in this crazy battle with the RNG on hard mode! Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Notmethistime
    Notmethistime
    Soul Shriven
    For chudan run dragon scale during her spit and reflect it all back to her. You dont have to move or block. Ive seen chudan crit itself for almost 100k per reflect. She spits 4 times, flappy wings reflects 4...perfect. Ive watched chudan kill itself quite a few times from that one skill.
  • mobyvixen
    mobyvixen
    For chudan run dragon scale during her spit and reflect it all back to her. You dont have to move or block. Ive seen chudan crit itself for almost 100k per reflect. She spits 4 times, flappy wings reflects 4...perfect. Ive watched chudan kill itself quite a few times from that one skill.

I wanted to say "THANKS!" for this tip. THis is just too fun as a tank to watch Chudan kill itself with its own nasty spit. Though I find myself doing a villainous laugh into my mic so my group probably thinks hard mode has finally driven me mad. It is a blast though! Very very cool!
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You think this dungeon is hard? Try farming RoM and vRoM for one of the sets. This dungeon ruins friendships on vet mode! :lol:
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just completed HM and got the skin after 2 days of trying to get the Hm achievement, did you ever manage to do it? Its a horrible HM imo and too much RNG and buggy mechanics to make it worth doing ever again imo.

What we did was group up tight on boss at start all drop ulti, this kills totem when it spawns and damages boss, push her to 70% and you will skip the first add group. boss goes into Chudan mode.

This is ***, Chudan drops taunt if you dont spam taunt literally every 4 or 5 secs and she turns and 1 shots group memebers with gore. Build ulti up here, bring chud to the caged boss, then kill chud, make sure full resources/fullulti.

Once she spawned everyone drop ulti on her as 1 of the dps or healer will get statues. the adds spawn straight away. This will damage boss and adds. Call out the statue and whoever has it tries to stay within grp to get heals and max range the statue. However the statue often bugs and takes no damage and you need to change position multiple times to get it going which is buggy af. a totem will spwn, kill it asap and wipe up last remaining adds. you may get another statue but push her to 50% and xal nur spawns.

Again build ulti on xal nur. kill it, have grp in middle so who can reach all statues from that position. Adds spawn, kill them, get statue. totem will come kill it, boss goes into enrage at like 35%, now whats crap is she does another statue staright away, get that and drop any ulti you may have to push her to her death.

Its so much RNG on who gets statue, statues dont always take damage, chud drops taunt, and imo statues come too fast in final phase.

Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    If the statues are giving your healer grief and the healer is capable of taking a few hits they could always keep taunt on Tree Minder, avoiding the statues entirely. Would also free up the tank for crowd control and picking up the spice when it is thrown down.
  • SelfTherapy
    SelfTherapy
    ✭✭✭
    lol the way I did it to get the skin, we had 3 sorcs and a dk tank, all of us sorcs were using the twilight to keep heals up, and it was pretty fing easy, got the falkreath skin this way as well
  • mobyvixen
    mobyvixen
    Just completed HM and got the skin after 2 days of trying to get the Hm achievement, did you ever manage to do it? Its a horrible HM imo and too much RNG and buggy mechanics to make it worth doing ever again imo.

We did get it finally...we were doing much of that and the buggy taunts of shadow Chudan are definitely annoying.

lol the way I did it to get the skin, we had 3 sorcs and a dk tank, all of us sorcs were using the twilight to keep heals up, and it was pretty fing easy, got the falkreath skin this way as well

This is interesting....i may ave to hunt me up 3 sorc s to try this out sometime...

• Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The amount of RNG luck involved in that fight is off the chain. Everybody make your stinkiest stink-face at @ZOS_Finn
  • mobyvixen
    mobyvixen
    Solariken wrote: »
    The amount of RNG luck involved in that fight is off the chain. Everybody make your stinkiest stink-face at @ZOS_Finn

RNG-meme.jpg
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HM for vRoM just requires a strategy that helps to mitigate rng.
    1. Easiest with both dps and the healer having a destro ult slotted.
    2. Never drop all dps ults at the same time. (except perhaps in the last 20% if a totem spawns)
    3. As a general rule, one dps drops destro ult when the totem spawns
    4. One dps drops a destro ult once the adds have spawned and move within range. Tank gathers adds, DO NOT chain or otherwise CC the stoneshaper until it begins its stone throw channel. The chain will interrupt and save your group.
    5. When an orange boss shows up, take your time. Build up your ultimates, build up some resources, clean up the remaining adds if there are any.
    6. When someone gets the tree sap hallucination, move the entire group over to the statue to keep everyone together. Totems spawn near the farthest player from the boss. You do not want a totem spawning across the field from the rest of the group.
    7. Healer will drop the destro ult only if the dps who was meant to drop destro on the adds or totem has gotten the sap.

As long as the two dps have decent survivability via minor personal hots and a shield/vigor+blade cloak etc, then the group can survive the healer getting sapped.

If your dps is actually strong as you suggest and at least one of them is mag and runs destro for adds, it should be manageable.

For reference, my group multiple no-death HM speed runs through vRoM. magsorc+magblade dps, templar/warden healer, dk tank.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Invoky
    Invoky
    Didn't want to read thru the entire thread so I am not sure these are already mentioned. But my group got the achievement after we did the following:

1) Try to slow down dps to build ultimate on champions. One Stone-shaper always spawn after a champion dies. Stone-shaper always spawn in the same location so remember that spot.
    2) If you dont have ultimate ready for stone-shaper, make sure 1 person in group has reliable CC and shut down stone-shaper when he does his rock move.
    3) Depend on the group dps so yours may be different. But our roation is always Boss > totem > champion > stoneshaper/add > totem/statue > 2nd champion > stoneshaper/add > totem/statue > boss 30% > stoneshaper/add > totem/statue > boss 15% > pop barrier + full burn. Its exactly every time so very predictable.
    4) If anyone dies, use Champion phase to recover. A tank should be able to hold Champion forever. You can even build ultimate on boss' cage if you dont want to kill the champion too quick.
    5) Make sure you have barrier/nova at last phase. Don't use barrier as soon as she hit 30%. Wait until you finish stoneshaper/totem/statue, then full burn with barrier/nova.

If you do all that above its really hard to wipe on the last boss HM. Everything is so predictable and have alot of opportunity to recover.