The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

It's Time To Have A Serious Talk About Cyrodiil

Vapirko
Vapirko
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
No matter what faction you play for, there are issues that affect us all and some of them have been ongoing for years. Yes, years. Simple issues like broken guards, crit charge to load screens etc have just never been fixed at all. And now we're coming up on CWC and you know what? The total section of fixes related to Cyrodiil is miniscule. They list "known" issues, but I gotta say that if the issues listed are the only ones they know about then they are either completely oblivious or someone in the ZOS hierarchy is willingly ignoring the host of documented problems we have presented to them over the years. If you are a regularly pvper and take your game even a little seriously in the sense that you invest time in builds and learning how to play, then I can be fairly certain you are generally frustrated with the state of Cyrodiil. Not even getting into the fact that the game can be unplayable due to lag in primetime, there are just hosts of bugs that have been around for ages and are seeing no attention. I'm not gonna list them all here because most of us know what they are and there have been hundreds (thousands?) of threads about them. ZOS this is getting out of hand. I mean they didn't even get rid of the two 7 day campaigns. That's how little they're thinking about pvp. That more than anything speaks to the level of attention being given to open world pvp right now, and is a very clear indicator that someone at ZOS doesn't care about the Alliance War.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There really isn't much to talk about. Everything that can be said has been said many times a long, long time ago.

The fact of the matter is PvP does not make any money for ZoS, does not draw in new players, does not even retain its older player base and thus receives no attention, no developmental resources, no fixes or improvements.

I wouldn't say ZoS doesn't care about PvP because I bet some of the devs do, but their business model is pretty clear by now that PvP is ancillary.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    does this game even have a PvP lead anymore?
  • bikerangelo
    bikerangelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All aboard the noot noot train to tell off the devs for abandoning Cyrodiil, this is going to end well.

D01N6RX.gif
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, it's done.

really nothing else to say.
    Invictus
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That they can't be bothered to close the two extraneous 7 day campaigns tells you exactly how much care and consideration is placed on Cyrodiil PVP atm.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »

By the way things are going at the moment, one could assume it doesn't...
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division totally agree I'm sure there are devs who do care. That's why I made sure to say "someone" and not ZOS in general. It's just very clear, now more than ever, that on some level within ZOS, open world pvp is on the bottom of the list. Cyrodiil doesn't need giant fixes to keep it going. Mainly adjusting the population caps to something the servers(s) can handle during prime time + cleaning up the surplus 7 day campaigns would go a long way. For me at least pvp is a big part of why I continue to sign on. That would help distribute players across the campaigns more evenly, leading to multiple options for a worthwhile pvp experience without a ton of work on ZOS end.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of Us have tried over and over to have a serious talk about Cyrodiil and PVP in general with ZoS . We were looking for solutions to keep populations from tanking . I believe JoyDivision wrote a 101 improvements thread , Agrippa wrote a long discussion on current issues and many more have also contributed . I don't recall one response from ZoS in any of those threads . Maybe I am wrong because I haven't looked in a while but that is what I remember .

I believe we are seeing a pre mature twilight to the games PVP across the board . Any Dev could go back and read those threads at any time and get a feel for their players desires . ZOS has become notorious for admitting they need to communicate more but then not really ever implement more communication to the PVP base . A highlight show on eso live once a year , talking about some new battlefield is hardly the answer .

It feels like ZoS has become complacent with PVP population diminishing away and do not feel it necessary to do more then little has been done . I have also just accepted that is their stance and have moved towards other areas of this game and enjoy PVP in other places away from this game more often . If ZoS is fine with pvp slowly diminishing then I am fine going somewhere else for that entertainment . I refuse to beg a developer to care more about their own products ...
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no doubt one day logging in to cyrodiil will feel an awful lot like:
    Milhouse-Playing-Frizbee-In-The-Yard-All-Alone-In-Sad-Simpsons-Gif.gif
    Edited by geonsocal on September 22, 2017 10:09PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS, you, me, no one.... No one will stop players from zerging in Cyrodiil. Cyrodiil was in fact created to cater to three large opposing groups duking it out in a royal rumble brawl. That's just fact. ZOS can tweak skills, CP, aoe caps, etc. I guarantee it will not matter, players will naturally form large groups and run around. We have duels and battlegrounds now. Battlegrounds is getting CP enabled also with coming DLC.

I personally feel the game is the most balanced it has ever been right now actually. Not perfect balance, some more massaging is always welcome of course. But as an example, the troll tanks of today aren't as obscenely powerful that they can just go forever with five or more beating on them as was the case prior to the last couple of patches.

I have said this a few times before already. Cyrodiil needs a new coat of paint, a Cyrodiil 2.0 of sorts. It needs to force new experiences. Redesign the keeps and outposts to all be unique is shape and size. Unique flag placements for each one. One keep allow for more wide open battles while another has more corridors and forces close quarters combat. Give the keeps more verticality, bridges connecting towers to the main keep, etc. New siege engines, I had the idea of a timed explosive for walls and doors as an example.

Of course game performance is paramount. ZOS seems excited about the performance improvements that are coming with Clockwork City DLC, so that's good news. There are a lot of things that can be discussed that will breathe fresh air into Cyrodiil. I just think discussing zergs for the millionth time is actually a waste of time and not necessarily exclusive to what makes it fun or not.

These are the typed words of Scipio.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »

It does. He was just at Pax West with some of the other devs in fact.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on September 22, 2017 10:47PM
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

LOL! No joke this just made my day.

I do notice less and less people are playing (at least on my plaform Xbox NA) which is a bummer. I do kind of expect one day to walk in and be the last man standing.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They won't care about Cyrodiil because PvP is not profitable. End of story.
  • MADshadowman_
    MADshadowman_
    ✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »

It's not that they don't care because it's not profitable. It's not profitable, because they don't care.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Fengrush's latest video sums a lot of it up well. And he can tell you I'm not one that loves agreeing with him, but when you are right, you are right.

The more zos makes pvp mindless and favor zergplay, the deader it's going to get b/c there won't be much of interest and it will just be another part of the game turned into a farm for those that don't mind balling up and farming AP for something.

Battlegrounds was handled poorly and is frankly, boring. AvA has just gotten consistently worse since launch (with a few peaks and valleys along the way, but overall - worse). Usually it's really hard to find a decent fight in cyrodiil unless you are a big group on when another big group is on and you are both skilled groups clashing, which frankly doesn't happen much these days. Just the fact they still have dead campaigns still available to be the modern equivalent of "buff" servers proves they don't give a crap (even though there are no pve buffs anymore from AvA- same thing has happened, but now used for flipping emp, questing, IC farming, etc).

We've been saying they need to tackle the zerg problem for years now, but ZoS just sees easy wallets that they want to make the game easy for to keep spending crowns instead of recognizing that creating something boring will eventually be a bigger problem than gift wrapping gameplay for overly casual players.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Satiar
    Satiar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Fengresh thinks zergs are killing the game....

The map is literally made for zergs. The problem is we don’t have enough and the server couldn’t handle it if we did.
    Vehemence -- Commander and Raid Lead -- Tri-faction PvP
    Knights Paravant -- Co-GM and Raid Lead -- AD Greyhost

• xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Satiar wrote: »
    Of course Fengresh thinks zergs are killing the game....

The map is literally made for zergs. The problem is we don’t have enough and the server couldn’t handle it if we did.

hmmm, other than the map size i guess, I don't see that.

I think zerg fights at keeps can be expected, but all I see is zergs even on small man targets like resources and villages. Part of this is zos fault for giving decent AP to every body on the resource just for a flip, but the bigger problem is people are scared to fight. Even out numbering others, they run more often than not or just wait until there is nothing to contest to take something back. The only time I've seen any real resistance, even against a small group of players has been when there are 20+ enemies zerging down a few players.

IMO cyrodiil could be made for both, by offering up smaller targets like that to smaller groups while bigger groups fight for the keeps. Though you are right, the server cannot support the fight and there aren't enough big groups on at the same time anymore. Any big fight and frames and ping go to horrible states and you cannot play (which also favors one button pushers in zergs or just having numbers by standing on a flag to flip without even having to fight really).

They really need to look at group size, rewards for what you are fighting for and pop caps if they can't have a better server system.

And I think, Fengrush probably sees the same thing we do in battlegrounds. It's usually a cakewalk. We like Cyrodiil because the fights are more dynamic and we actually like fighting outnumbered. But I'd rather be killed by being outplayed, even if my a few extra people than we have, than just killed by trample damage because zergs have nothing better to do than take a resource back as dead as the game is. Sometimes we even find ourselves picking at the zergs directly because there is literally no where else on the map to find a fight it's so dead (and this is in the main Vivec campaign).
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS, you, me, no one.... No one will stop players from zerging in Cyrodiil. Cyrodiil was in fact created to cater to three large opposing groups duking it out in a royal rumble brawl. That's just fact. ZOS can tweak skills, CP, aoe caps, etc. I guarantee it will not matter, players will naturally form large groups and run around. We have duels and battlegrounds now. Battlegrounds is getting CP enabled also with coming DLC.

This isn't true. I know because I've recently read interviews with ZOS devs preceding and following the launch of ESO. AvA was supposed to be FAR more nuanced than you describe with opportunities for great solo, small group and large group play.

It's pretty clear to me that after the poor launch of ESO, ZOS scrambled to reinvent the game. When they did so, I believe the decision was made to put Cyrodiil on life support. They probably felt like they were dealing with an existential crisis and that justified all decisions, no matter how contentious -- and probably heartbreaking to them, as they had to abandon some of their original vision for the game.

I haven't given up hope though. IMO, one of the reasons ZOS is so bad as an online dev is because they work like a single player game design team. Massive changes come all at once every few months. Good online game design, IMO, relies heavily on highly iterative design processes. It sometimes takes ZOS years to correct a significant mistake.

However, the above is the silver lining I am clinging to. Because ZOS works the way they do, if a Cyrodiil revamp is to happen, it might be slow coming because it could be very big. ...but I writing this knowing I am grasping at straws.

Whatever the case may be, we deserve an update from @ZOS_BrianWheeler to set expectations for what's to come. If this is as good as it gets, tell us so we can move on.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

This isn't true. I know because I've recently read interviews with ZOS devs preceding and following the launch of ESO. AvA was supposed to be FAR more nuanced than you describe with opportunities for great solo, small group and large group play.

It's pretty clear to me that after the poor launch of ESO, ZOS scrambled to reinvent the game. When they did so, I believe the decision was made to put Cyrodiil on life support. They probably felt like they were dealing with an existential crisis and that justified all decisions, no matter how contentious -- and probably heartbreaking to them, as they had to abandon some of their original vision for the game.

I haven't given up hope though. IMO, one of the reasons ZOS is so bad as an online dev is because they work like a single player game design team. Massive changes come all at once every few months. Good online game design, IMO, relies heavily on highly iterative design processes. It sometimes takes ZOS years to correct a significant mistake.

However, the above is the silver lining I am clinging to. Because ZOS works the way they do, if a Cyrodiil revamp is to happen, it might be slow coming because it could be very big. ...but I writing this knowing I am grasping at straws.

Whatever the case may be, we deserve an update from @ZOS_BrianWheeler to set expectations for what's to come. If this is as good as it gets, tell us so we can move on.

My worry about why a Cyrodiil major redesign won't happen is because it would be built into the existing game and they won't be able to sell it as a DLC package. Don't see them putting significant work into something they are going to make crowns on anymore, despite subs or need. The main hope to me is just enough fixes that it's at least working better.
    -- @xaraan --
    AD • NA • PC
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »

It's not that they don't care because it's not profitable. It's not profitable, because they don't care.

I feel that this is very much the case.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not start bashing specific ZOS employees please, doesn't help. This also isn't a thread about zergs or what player behavior is or isn't in cyrodiil right now. But I do think we deserve to know what's coming for Cyro (or if nothing is). My sub ends next month and I've cancelled it for now. There's just not enough to do to warrant keeping it, unless I know pvp, which is a big reason for me to log in, is going to be kept healthy.
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

Best player NA right there.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the last 25 or so years games like this have used conditioning mechanics in some form or other to increase revenue. The problem it tended to be things like operant conditioning; which over time has created a new market of gamers who expect and even want things like crown crates. So, where you used to have traditional video game content with gambling as an additive; now you have the gambling AS the game content with things like lore, zones, quests, etc. being the additives around the gambling package.

PVP is problematic for this model because is not easy to get players to condition themselves to enjoy it. Mainly because they cannot establish a sense of control over the outcome of the pvp interaction. So, in pve players are conditioned to feel if they keep on pushing that button they will get their desired reward at some point. But in pvp they can keep trying and trying but failing every encounter, so the reward doesn’t come and they know it will never come.

Some game developers may want to work on fixing things but they are forced to only create content that sells. The awkward part of it the whole situation is it’s one that is a byproduct the industry’s greed. If they didn’t turn so much to conditioning to increase sells then things would not be the way they are now.

So unfortunately for many mmo developers are forced to essentially create slot machines with nice looking scenery. The creativity of the developers has been shifted more to towards creating a “pretty” covering for the conditioning and gambling. More than actually creating new and unique game mechanics; much less fixing things that are broken.

To put it another way the people up top tell them “We have this idea for a new retention mechanic so we can make more revenue. But we need something that looks good to cover it up so the players don’t realize what’s going on.” The developers have two options say “no” and get terminated or say “ok we will get on it” and stay employed.

The condition and gambling mechanics tends be what gets the most attention for fixes because they generate the most revenue. Things like pvp are not one of them so they will remain broken indefinitely. Even minor things like the chimney on the alchemist house in northern high rock gate do not get fixed. That chimney has been on the wrong side of the house for years. So, don’t expect anything major to ever be resolved.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Whatever the case may be, we deserve an update from ZOS_BrianWheeler to set expectations for what's to come. If this is as good as it gets, tell us so we can move on.

The ESO marketing material that I saw from back in 2013 and early 2014 showing Cyrodiil off featured zerg battles at keeps. And yeah, techanically in Cyrodiil you can do whatever you please. But the point I am making is if you provide an environment where players can create large groups, or simply by having hundreds of players on three teams, where the objective (a keep) is a focal point, zergs will always naturally occur.

The only way to really stop a zerg would be to uproot all or most of what Cyrodiil is about, in function and form. And to that point, we do have duels and battlegrounds now. Maybe ZOS will expand battlegrounds to feature 8v8 or 5v5, or something. ZOS definitely has options on the table with the battlegrounds system. But in Cyrodiil the real focus should be game performance and freshening things up a bit. The arguments against/for zergs is a waste of time.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ESO marketing material that I saw from back in 2013 and early 2014 showing Cyrodiil off featured zerg battles at keeps. And yeah, techanically in Cyrodiil you can do whatever you please. But the point I am making is if you provide an environment where players can create large groups, or simply by having hundreds of players on three teams, where the objective (a keep) is a focal point, zergs will always naturally occur.

I am talking about the vision for Cyrodiil expressed by the Devs. Sure, big epic keep fights were a major component. But there was also a greater emphasis on strategy expressed and small group and solo play were frequently mentioned. For example, lanes between objectives were supposed to be a hotbed of solo and small group activity as they were when Forward Camps were out of the game. I believe resources production was supposed to somehow matter and I assume the mages casting in front of the portals in keep towers were supposed to be for more than scenery. The same goes for the robust map. We are playing an unfinished game.

I have zero issues with zerging or large groups. The problem now is how concentrated players have become as a percentage of the whole the absence of well designed alternative gameplay for solo players and small groups. Sure, a small group can hold a resource for 30 minutes before getting zerged down, but what impact did that have on the score? Probably none.

This isn't as hard to fix as it seems. Look at how the otick change has modified player behaviour. Before, we used to joke that dee tick was a deity worshiped by all and players RACED to defend keeps. Now players ignore defense as a rule and RACE to the next otick opportunity. ZOS can easily change player behaviour. They have professional game designers with 20 years of 3D MMO gaming to draw from, 3+ years of ESO PVP data to analyze and the resources of a world class publisher to benefit from if they were enabled to. The problem is that ZOS has barely tried to improve AvA since launch.

I don't like to give specific suggestions because 1,000 player manifestos won't make ESO AvA better. ZOS just needs to have the will to make it happen. Or, at the very least, they should be upfront with the remaining players about AvA's future.
  • MADshadowman_
    MADshadowman_
    ✭✭✭

Whatever the case may be, we deserve an update from ZOS_BrianWheeler to set expectations for what's to come. If this is as good as it gets, tell us so we can move on.

The only way to really stop a zerg would be to uproot all or most of what Cyrodiil is about, in function and form. And to that point, we do have duels and battlegrounds now. Maybe ZOS will expand battlegrounds to feature 8v8 or 5v5, or something. ZOS definitely has options on the table with the battlegrounds system. But in Cyrodiil the real focus should be game performance and freshening things up a bit. The arguments against/for zergs is a waste of time.

the problem aren't the zergs, i don't mind the zergs. The problem is that there is nothing else but zerg fights. Back in the day we had a more solo or small scale friendly environment. It's hard to get that kind of pvp these days without at least 1 zerg getting in your way.

In a pathetic attempt to get some small scale pvp, i sometimes go and take a resource at an enemy keep and wair for players to come and take it back, so i can get the kill and defense AP. But that doesn't really work anymore, cause either you sit there for 15 minutes and nothing happens, or a 30 man zerg shows up immediately and takes the resource back. In both cases you don't get the pvp you were hoping for.

So yeah, zergs have been here since the beginning, but at least we had more options as solo players back in the day.
  • ezeepeezee
    ezeepeezee
    ✭✭✭✭

the problem aren't the zergs, i don't mind the zergs. The problem is that there is nothing else but zerg fights. Back in the day we had a more solo or small scale friendly environment. It's hard to get that kind of pvp these days without at least 1 zerg getting in your way.

In a pathetic attempt to get some small scale pvp, i sometimes go and take a resource at an enemy keep and wair for players to come and take it back, so i can get the kill and defense AP. But that doesn't really work anymore, cause either you sit there for 15 minutes and nothing happens, or a 30 man zerg shows up immediately and takes the resource back. In both cases you don't get the pvp you were hoping for.

So yeah, zergs have been here since the beginning, but at least we had more options as solo players back in the day.

What you describe, though, is partly a function of the history of what has gone on in Cyrodiil. Back in the day, people used to suspect that a single resource flipping in their territory might be an enemy force mistakenly revealing itself, and would respond in kind. These days, you can rest assured it's just some group of veteran players looking to farm the poor souls who don't know any better - but these days, most do. Nobody wants to chase mister shuffle-rally-trap-DB around a tower anymore, it's stale and irritating.

In my opinion, what needs to happen is hinted at by @zyk,
    -
    I believe resources production was supposed to somehow matter and I assume the mages casting in front of the portals in keep towers were supposed to be for more than scenery. The same goes for the robust map. We are playing an unfinished game.
    -
    This isn't as hard to fix as it seems. Look at how the otick change has modified player behaviour...
    -

Basically, Cyrodiil was designed with a meta-level RTS-style gameplay in mind. You can actually affect the rate at which resources level up by killing the dudes that are meandering around stacking wood and stuff. While nifty, it's inconsequential, which is unfortunate because the level of depth that could be achieved by actually fleshing that out in conjunction with building a team could be extremely engaging and deep. But there is no incentive.

If gameplay in Cyrodiil is to be changed, it has to be incentivized to change in a direction the devs want it to change in. It's clear to me that they are aware of this. They made it plain that they were aware of it when they added merchants to the towns that sell boxes for gear, but are only accessible if your alliance owns the town. That is exactly the right way to draw people to the place; it's just that the actual incentive is not worthwhile because once you have the gear you want you're done. It's not a lasting incentive, and if it were there would be necessary, consumable things being sold at those towns.

The same thing could be done, as was done with the towns, all over Cyrodiil. Large capture areas that are actually territories, that contribute somehow to the overall fight. If there was a large region that could be controlled, or have control lost, simply by the presence of players, that alone would incentivize people to move through those areas, trying to find each other, and spawning the kinds of engagements people are asking for. And from my perspective - obviously I'm not an MMO dev, but I have worked on games before - this would be a relatively simple change. Perhaps the capture area would have to be spherical due to the nature of the 'capture' entity, but nonetheless I think it could be achieved.

Anyway, overall the point is that the gameplay is influenced only by incentive. The more difficult the prize is to get, the harder people will strive to get it. Competition for those things are what keep PVPers interested in the game. But contrary to what others have said, my impression is that PVPers actually do contribute a decent chunk of the revenue. I can name a number of PVPers I have seen throughout my years playing, that play consistently. PVErs come and go, and I don't think I know a single pure-PVE player that has stuck around. In fact I have seen many of them leave. Only PVP is enough to engage the people who would otherwise disengage, because fighting a computer will never compare to fighting another person.

Simple changes to Cyrodiil to make it worthwhile for more than just the people who are there to fight for the sake of fighting could improve this game's longevity by quite a lot. Many games that offer good PVP (e.g. the Source engine - Half-Life 2 / Counter Strike / Team Fortress 2) have been around for what, over a decade? This game could be like that, easily.

But does it want to?
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezeepeezee wrote: »

What you describe, though, is partly a function of the history of what has gone on in Cyrodiil. Back in the day, people used to suspect that a single resource flipping in their territory might be an enemy force mistakenly revealing itself, and would respond in kind. These days, you can rest assured it's just some group of veteran players looking to farm the poor souls who don't know any better - but these days, most do. Nobody wants to chase mister shuffle-rally-trap-DB around a tower anymore, it's stale and irritating.

In my opinion, what needs to happen is hinted at by @zyk,
    -
    I believe resources production was supposed to somehow matter and I assume the mages casting in front of the portals in keep towers were supposed to be for more than scenery. The same goes for the robust map. We are playing an unfinished game.
    -
    This isn't as hard to fix as it seems. Look at how the otick change has modified player behaviour...
    -

Basically, Cyrodiil was designed with a meta-level RTS-style gameplay in mind. You can actually affect the rate at which resources level up by killing the dudes that are meandering around stacking wood and stuff. While nifty, it's inconsequential, which is unfortunate because the level of depth that could be achieved by actually fleshing that out in conjunction with building a team could be extremely engaging and deep. But there is no incentive.

If gameplay in Cyrodiil is to be changed, it has to be incentivized to change in a direction the devs want it to change in. It's clear to me that they are aware of this. They made it plain that they were aware of it when they added merchants to the towns that sell boxes for gear, but are only accessible if your alliance owns the town. That is exactly the right way to draw people to the place; it's just that the actual incentive is not worthwhile because once you have the gear you want you're done. It's not a lasting incentive, and if it were there would be necessary, consumable things being sold at those towns.

The same thing could be done, as was done with the towns, all over Cyrodiil. Large capture areas that are actually territories, that contribute somehow to the overall fight. If there was a large region that could be controlled, or have control lost, simply by the presence of players, that alone would incentivize people to move through those areas, trying to find each other, and spawning the kinds of engagements people are asking for. And from my perspective - obviously I'm not an MMO dev, but I have worked on games before - this would be a relatively simple change. Perhaps the capture area would have to be spherical due to the nature of the 'capture' entity, but nonetheless I think it could be achieved.

Anyway, overall the point is that the gameplay is influenced only by incentive. The more difficult the prize is to get, the harder people will strive to get it. Competition for those things are what keep PVPers interested in the game. But contrary to what others have said, my impression is that PVPers actually do contribute a decent chunk of the revenue. I can name a number of PVPers I have seen throughout my years playing, that play consistently. PVErs come and go, and I don't think I know a single pure-PVE player that has stuck around. In fact I have seen many of them leave. Only PVP is enough to engage the people who would otherwise disengage, because fighting a computer will never compare to fighting another person.

Simple changes to Cyrodiil to make it worthwhile for more than just the people who are there to fight for the sake of fighting could improve this game's longevity by quite a lot. Many games that offer good PVP (e.g. the Source engine - Half-Life 2 / Counter Strike / Team Fortress 2) have been around for what, over a decade? This game could be like that, easily.

But does it want to?

Good stuff. I’d just add that despite cyrodiil having the issues it does and the lack new content, it has one thing pve can never have and that is an opponent that can evolve as you do. PvE is a matter of gear+rotation+mechanics. Once those are acquired/learned, there’s nothing else to strive for until new content is released. PvP on the other hand means playing against people who get better. In a sense there’s no ceiling like there is in PvE. Dedicated PvPers will always have more to learn where as PvE can come to an abrupt halt. So even though Cyrodiil has seen none of the growth that the PvE zone has, its still engaging. Although at this point that’s engagement is really being tested.
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about fixes, pvp numbers are declining, people are just playing less, zenimax gave up trying to fix stuff along time ago. there are not so many hours when all factions have locked pops any more on eu pc. I think a lot of people are done playing. we are now on the slow decline for pvp. combat is pretty awful in pvp, people have to use add ons to dodge block damage because most strikes are invis, don't render or are lagged. I'm unable even to do basic stuff like light attacks, 1 skill often takes 5 seconds or just wont work at all. hotr was more of a disaster for me than morrowind. I think zenimax has gone brain dead they cant think or don't have the resources to think outside the box. they dont seem to understand about customer retention they don't seem know about building solid foundations. they don't seem to now how to make this game fun again like it used to be.
    Edited by mook-eb16_ESO on September 24, 2017 12:13AM