Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Poison injection bugged post patch

DocFrost72
DocFrost72
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Pre patch poison injection scaled based on enemy's health. Pre patch critical numbers were 7.3-7.8 on my stamina nightblade per tick around 25% health. Non crits were around 4-5k.

Since the update, most (not all) of the ticks with any enemy below 50% health have not gotten their execute bonus, or are capped out way too low. Crits at below 25% cap out at 2.5-3k for me, and non crits are as low as 1.4-2k.

Sometimes, it still crits for 7k+.

I tried seeing if you had to remain on bow bar, that didn't solve it. I tried seeing if light attack animation canceling was causing the bug, that was also not the culprit. I even tried seeing if bar swap animation canceling to my front bar before it hit was what caused it. All of these test concluded that most times it isn't scaling, and sometimes (rarely) it is working as it did pre patch.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom (I know you ladies are busy today with the downtime, but if you could check this?).

Edit: https://youtu.be/nNFgdNbwUBU
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haha and there I was thinking that bow was getting a tiny buff with the new execute scaling, but if what you are saying is true it was a sly ninja nerf.
    • The bonus damage dealt by execute abilities, such as Assassin’s Blade or Reverse Slash, now works more intuitively with global damage done bonuses, such as Mighty or Minor/Major Berserk. Execute bonus damage is now multiplicative with global damage bonuses instead of additive.

Nice! Does this multiplicative change also apply to swords buffed by Twin Blade and Blunt / Heavy weapons and bows buffed by Hawk Eye / Long Shots?

The change is only to execute abilities, not passives, so it has no effect on Twin Blade and Blunt. However, it does mean that Poison Injection deals more damage when combined with Hawk Eye or Long Shots.

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Haha and there I was thinking that bow was getting a tiny buff with the new execute scaling, but if what you are saying is true it was a sly ninja nerf.
    • The bonus damage dealt by execute abilities, such as Assassin’s Blade or Reverse Slash, now works more intuitively with global damage done bonuses, such as Mighty or Minor/Major Berserk. Execute bonus damage is now multiplicative with global damage bonuses instead of additive.

Nice! Does this multiplicative change also apply to swords buffed by Twin Blade and Blunt / Heavy weapons and bows buffed by Hawk Eye / Long Shots?

The change is only to execute abilities, not passives, so it has no effect on Twin Blade and Blunt. However, it does mean that Poison Injection deals more damage when combined with Hawk Eye or Long Shots.

If there weren't times where it raised back up to 7k+, identicle (give or take 500 for mundus and trait changes) to pre patch, I'd say this was intended. There's maybe, maybe a few hundred more damage below 50% and in execute range most of the time, then suddenly it works as it used to.

My guess is when the touched up poison injection they hit a stray line of code somewhere. This be a lot easier if I could find what made it proc like it used to, at least then I could give them a place to start testing.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Checked main account, this is affecting my other characters as well.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont have this problem. Just did dummy test (in my pvp gear) and with long shots and hawk eye fully affecting it had like 3k crits on 50%, 7k crits at 25% and 9k crits at 10%

//edit:
    Another one. Started with ~1900 hits at 50% with PI dot and steadily transitioned to ~6400
    All nonstop on bow bar with light attack weaves to maintain hawk eye
    Even on different weapon (by swapping to it after hit or before hit) and from melee range without any stack of hawk eye it still gradually increases as supposed to
    Edited by SodanTok on August 17, 2017 11:38AM
  • Yngol
    Yngol
    ✭✭✭
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you read the patch note at no time would this be interpreted as a buff. It was and will be a nerf. My mages wrath.... even in pve sucked in blood forge last night so I switched back to wall of elements and force shock which did more damage. I have now farmed the new dungeon it is a substantial nerf.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    If you read the patch note at no time would this be interpreted as a buff. It was and will be a nerf. My mages wrath.... even in pve sucked in blood forge last night so I switched back to wall of elements and force shock which did more damage. I have now farmed the new dungeon it is a substantial nerf.

No it was stated as a buff and mathematically should be such. Multiplicative boost on damage is better than additive. Thus Poison Injection should be hitting harder with Hawk Eye and Long Shots, et al.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Someone didn't understand that this change did not change anything on mages wrath damage (atleast it shouldn't...)
    Noobplar
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

Someone didn't understand that this change did not change anything on mages wrath damage (atleast it shouldn't...)

This is unique, because my killers blade is doing more damage. Maybe a bug with wrath?

And I'll take a video of my issue to highlight it.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Destruent wrote: »

This is unique, because my killers blade is doing more damage. Maybe a bug with wrath?

And I'll take a video of my issue to highlight it.

No, it's not a bug. The fix only effects percentage based executes like killers blade and poison injection and not damage proccs in execute range from mages wrath.
    Noobplar
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying you are wrong, I haven't tested this myself, but have in mind that self penetration are slightly nerfed. So if you do the test with same gear as before the patch, it might cause some lower number as well.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/nNFgdNbwUBU

Same gear, same buffs, a few 8k PI procs while most never even scale below 50%.

Also: Pardon my voice, I grate the ears.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on August 17, 2017 6:02PM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you have any other enemies that had same problem (I dont have DLC to test these out)
    Edited by SodanTok on August 17, 2017 7:54PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    Do you have any other enemies that had same problem (I dont have DLC to test these out)

Can run some tests in dungeons later on tomorrow (14-15 hours from now I wake up xD). That was in Grahtwood, the little undercroft under the tree (NOT elden hollow).
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Please watch video and test internally
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Can run some tests in dungeons later on tomorrow (14-15 hours from now I wake up xD). That was in Grahtwood, the little undercroft under the tree (NOT elden hollow).

Yes, went there and could reproduce it tried then random mobs in VVardenfell and same story. Did not get any random high damage like you did you did not get any random big hits either, you always got them after reapplying, it was pretty stable -> the DoT execute damage was set on hit and never changed
    • Enemy above 50% and fells below 50%? No execute
    • Enemy at some X hp lower than 50%? You get execute for that % hp, never changing based on the HP during the whole duration
    • Basically, applying Poison Injection calculates new execute damage based on HP of target on hit instead of calculating new damage for each DoT tick (@Wrobel)

Tested both by bow and by swap canceling to different weapon. I don't think anything has impact on it. This makes PI still very usable in PVE since enemy %HP falls by small amount between PI casts, but it completely kills the skill in PVP (tho I did not test it against players)

//edit:
    Its not just overland mobs, dungeon mobs too. I think dummy too, but I cant burn dummy fast enough in single DoT to be completely sure (its not that obvious like mob that has same dot damage with 49% hp and 1% hp)
    Edited by SodanTok on August 18, 2017 10:33AM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, went there and could reproduce it tried then random mobs in VVardenfell and same story. Did not get any random high damage like you did you did not get any random big hits either, you always got them after reapplying, it was pretty stable -> the DoT execute damage was set on hit and never changed
    • Enemy at some X hp lower than 50%? You get execute for that % hp, never changing based on the HP during the whole duration
    • Basically, applying Poison Injection calculates new execute damage based on HP of target on hit instead of calculating new damage for each DoT tick (@Wrobel)

Tested both by bow and by swap canceling to different weapon. I don't think anything has impact on it. This makes PI still very usable in PVE since enemy %HP falls by small amount between PI casts, but it completely kills the skill in PVP (tho I did not test it against players)

//edit:
    Its not just overland mobs, dungeon mobs too. I think dummy too, but I cant burn dummy fast enough in single DoT to be completely sure (its not that obvious like mob that has same dot damage with 49% hp and 1% hp)

Good testing. I really hope they fix this soon, it's slightly annoying. I guess it would be a much bigger deal if I were doing anything other than questing on my alt account at present.

That'll change tonight when I run trials, though.

@Wrobel @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Hate to pester y'all, but just really want to make sure you see this :)
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

//edit:

Good testing. I really hope they fix this soon, it's slightly annoying. I guess it would be a much bigger deal if I were doing anything other than questing on my alt account at present.

Agreed. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Added video to first post.
  • ZOS_Wrobel
    ZOS_Wrobel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DocFrost72 Thank you for bringing the Poison Injection issue to our attention. This is a bug and we're working on a fix.

@SodanTok Awesome job digging into the issue! Your findings have helped us get to the root of the issue much sooner.
    Lead Combat Designer
    Eric Wrobel
    Staff Post
  • kengur22
    kengur22
    You should mby read bug reports from ingame, because i reported it last week. Poison injection picks current hp %, and doesnt recalculate it if hp is dropping.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

//edit:

I have to say it's good to have smart people like you. As a technology illiterate dummy as I am, I wouldn't know what the hell you guys are talking about or know how to keep track if a certain skill is working or procing right. I'm just a no-Joe dummy that picks up the controller and press the buttons.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel - Any chance of this fix making it into the console patch so we can avoid the bug all together?
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wrobel wrote: »
    @DocFrost72 Thank you for bringing the Poison Injection issue to our attention. This is a bug and we're working on a fix.

@SodanTok Awesome job digging into the issue! Your findings have helped us get to the root of the issue much sooner.

As a die-hard bowplar, you have my thanks for finding, testing, and reporting this. You guys are true heroes.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wrobel wrote: »

Thank you for the response, and for looking into it! :grin:
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel please please pleeaassseee dont let this be another dawnbreaker bug on console. I quit playing because i couldnt play my main character with an effective ultimate. Dawnbreaker was bugged for literally an entire update on xbox (idk about other platforms). Now i am back to play and this is a big part of my build, dot build. Poison inj and cleave are 2 big parts (with master bow), and dawnbreaker dmg+dot... So please dont let this sit broken on xbox for 4-5 months like dawnbreaker. Please.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    itzTJ wrote: »
    please please pleeaassseee dont let this be another dawnbreaker bug on console. I quit playing because i couldnt play my main character with an effective ultimate. Dawnbreaker was bugged for literally an entire update on xbox (idk about other platforms). Now i am back to play and this is a big part of my build, dot build. Poison inj and cleave are 2 big parts (with master bow), and dawnbreaker dmg+dot... So please dont let this sit broken on xbox for 4-5 months like dawnbreaker. Please.

Check PC patch. It was fixed this Monday, so it will be fixed on consoles in 2 weeks (maybe even sooner)
  • Jake1576
    Jake1576
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really appreciate you noticing poison injection was not working right especially before the hotr update was released on console to bad they didn't put the fix in for it tho before the update was made live on ps4 and xbox1 tho seeing is how they had already came up with a fix before the update was out now unfortunately this will probably not get fixed on console for a couple months it was working perfectly before the update tho :(
    Edited by Jake1576 on September 2, 2017 7:10AM
  • Jake1576
    Jake1576
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel - Any chance of this fix making it into the console patch so we can avoid the bug all together?

Nope lol
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has this been fixed?