The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sentences that trigger lore nerds

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Referring to the TES series as "the Skyrim games".

"So how do you make your character dragonborn"
    "You can't"
    "But you can become dragonborn in all the other Skyrim games so why not this one?"
    my first game was oblivion and holy *** you could become a lot of different things.the gray fox,the listener,a champion of cyridol(still no clue how to spell it lol),a vampire,an arena grand champion,archmage of the mages guild,fighters guildmaster,a vampire hunter,the divine crusader and a member of the blades.oh and its implied that you turn into a daedric prince eventually too.so theres that.

Fun trivia: Oblivion is the one single player game where you can be absolutely positive the player character isn't dragonborn.

To be fair, the protagonists of the other games almost certainly aren't (with a major asterisk on Morrowind), but still.

Ironically, what I miss about Morrowind was you couldn't do everything. Various guilds you'd join would get crosswise of each other. Not all of them. You could run up through the Morag Tong without any major issues. But if you wanted to be fighter's guild and thieves guild, or Mages Guild and Telvanni, you were going to have a bad time.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironically, what I miss about Morrowind was you couldn't do everything. Various guilds you'd join would get crosswise of each other. Not all of them. You could run up through the Morag Tong without any major issues. But if you wanted to be fighter's guild and thieves guild, or Mages Guild and Telvanni, you were going to have a bad time.

I think that is the way it should be. There is not enough of that in ESO.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, I'm legitimately unsure if the stuff from the two tie-in novels is considered canon.

BGS would have to weigh in on that one. If Keyes worked closely with BGS lore masters in creating the events of the book, and given how the Elder Scrolls lore has been defined, then yeah, I would say that the books would be considered canon. At least, as canon as anything else in the lore. The details about any historical event can be revised, if there is enough need for that to happen. The lore regarding historical events is not immutable.

Were the books released before or after Skyrim? Because the tree at the Sleeping Tree Giant camp is implied to be
    from one of the Hist trees that lived on the flying island that factors heavily into the plot

and the fall of Baar Dau and subsequent destruction of much of Morrowind factors into one of the main character's motivation.

@Countcalorie I make my arguments here: link. Feel free to weigh in! :)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Countcalorie
    Countcalorie
    ✭✭✭

"You can't"
    "But you can become dragonborn in all the other Skyrim games so why not this one?"
    my first game was oblivion and holy *** you could become a lot of different things.the gray fox,the listener,a champion of cyridol(still no clue how to spell it lol),a vampire,an arena grand champion,archmage of the mages guild,fighters guildmaster,a vampire hunter,the divine crusader and a member of the blades.oh and its implied that you turn into a daedric prince eventually too.so theres that.

Fun trivia: Oblivion is the one single player game where you can be absolutely positive the player character isn't dragonborn.

To be fair, the protagonists of the other games almost certainly aren't (with a major asterisk on Morrowind), but still.

definitely,no way in hell could you be dragonborn in oblivion.
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Miraak is first dragonborn? I thought Martin Septim was first."
    I found this comment on youtube and it really triggered me.
    PC/EU
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a sentense that triggers lore nerds more than other people but..

"ESO is pay-to-win"

Still giving me high blood pressure every time.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"You can't"

You could reach max level in both Mages Guild and Telvanni without any problems I remember.
    I sleepwalked to an solution to the Thief guild and fighter guild conflict multiple times without knowing it was an issue.
    Solution was simply not to do quests who would generate an conflict, do other quests instead.
    An quest is not an direct order you would get court-martial for not doing right away.
    Unlike Skyrim and Oblivion you did not have to do all the minor quests to reach max level, you did minor quests to get reputation, you got some major quests too who you had to do.

ESO TG and DB work much the same way but with random quests as minor.

Morag Tong would be hard to do without making many faction angry as you would kill lots of people in other factions.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    You could reach max level in both Mages Guild and Telvanni without any problems I remember.

There's a mutually exclusive quest, where you're either sent in to clear out the Telvanni, or wipe out the Mages Guild members assaulting the place. Completing it for one group means you've wiped out the NPC you need to report to for the other quest. There may be a way to glitch around this, but it's not intended.
    I sleepwalked to an solution to the Thief guild and fighter guild conflict multiple times without knowing it was an issue.

There's an exploit to how you can handle code book. You need to handle the Thieves Guild and Fighters Guild quests in just the right order, and in exactly the right way, or this one goes nuclear. Ironically, this happens way before the obviously blocked path that pops up later on.
    Solution was simply not to do quests who would generate an conflict, do other quests instead. An quest is not an direct order you would get court-martial for not doing right away.

Ultimately, with Morrowind, you did need to clear most of the quests. There are some exceptions, like the final four Fighters Guild quests that actually had alternate versions you could pick up from a different quest giver.
    Unlike Skyrim and Oblivion you did not have to do all the minor quests to reach max level, you did minor quests to get reputation, you got some major quests too who you had to do.

This is missing something critically important. Factions had related adjustment modifiers in Morrowind. So, if you were a member of the Mages Guild, members of House Telvanni would have a lower disposition. This meant you'd actually need to clear more quests, and you couldn't avoid some of those trip ups.

Amusingly, the Telvanni held the Mages Guild in exactly as low esteem as the Sixth House.

Morag Tong would be hard to do without making many faction angry as you would kill lots of people in other factions.

Morag Tong was pretty easy, if you were good at stealth. You'd only get expelled if the murder was witnessed.

"You can't"

Solution was simply not to do quests who would generate an conflict, do other quests instead.
    An quest is not an direct order you would get court-martial for not doing right away.

I went back and checked. I remember there being a non-optional quest on both sides for Mages and Telvanni that would have you wipe out a group of the other. I can't find it right now, but I do remember encountering it, and not being able to skirt around it and advance.

There's also another factor I'd forgotten. Back in TES3 there were factional tensions. If you ranked up in one faction it would improve your disposition with other members of your faction, while reducing your disposition in others. Mages/Telvanni had one of the most severe penalties (Mages tie with Sixth House for the Telvanni's opinion modifiers.) Or, to put this in perspective, if you asked a member of House Telvanni, "which is worse? Imperial Cult, which opposes your culture or Sixth House?" It's a no brainer, Sixth House is worse, but if you ask them, "which is worse, Mages Guild or Sixth House?" They'll need to get back to you on that one.

I think this also affected reputation for those factions directly. Meaning, it might be possible to advance through the Mages Guild and Telvanni through very careful management, but you would need to do way more of the quests than you usually would. As I recall, this creates a situation where you cannot advance both guilds past that quest.

Incidentally, this isn't an issue with Fighters Guild/Thieves Guild. That simply requires that you have completed the quests in a very precise order, and have a Speech heavy build. If you did the TG stuff first, it wouldn't be at all surprising that you could get through that mess, because you'd have a better idea what's going on when you get their in the FG questline. But, botch up that sequence at all, and it can go pearshaped fast. Also, not remembering to ignore your orders and check in with a certain NPC at regular intervals will also screw up the FG questline. It makes sense, it's logical, it's honestly really cool, and one of the things I remember very clearly, but it's very easy to screw up, and botch. I love it.

In fact, in spite of knowing both paths, I think the only FG playthrough I've taken to completion on Morrowind was a Tong ending.

On the other hand, I never had any problems with a Morag Tong character. And I've done several Tong playthroughs. The hard part there is simply that you really do need to be stealthy to make it work. If you're not publicly outed for your killings, you rank up in the guild faster, and you don't take the huge disposition hits a less subtle assassin suffers.
  • Volsera
    Volsera
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the dragons.. Or people that have no clue in which era we actually are
    Edited by Volsera on August 15, 2017 4:07PM
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volsera wrote: »
    Yeah, the dragons.. Or people that have no clue in which area we actually are

Saw a player in Stonefalls going, "hey, guys, I want a vampire bite," today... had to tell him to pack up and go to The Rift. Or, you meant, "era?" :p
  • Volsera
    Volsera
    ✭✭✭

Saw a player in Stonefalls going, "hey, guys, I want a vampire bite," today... had to tell him to pack up and go to The Rift. Or, you meant, "era?" :p

Hahaha oh wow, this is why I shouldn't be on the forums while on break at work.. :')
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hahaha oh wow, this is why I shouldn't be on the forums while on break at work.. :')

To be fair, it did work both ways. :p

I can kinda give people a pass on not knowing what era they're in, because keeping a timeline for a fantasy series straight can be kinda tricky, especially given that ESO is not fond of reminding you exactly when it's set. (You get the year once in the opening cinimatic from The Prophet, but after that, "hope you've got a good memory.") Combine that with how Skyrim differentiated itself from Oblivion, with the Empire falling apart, and the mistake does make some sense.

But, you're not wrong, it is a trigger.
  • JarlUlfric
    JarlUlfric
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Pelinal Whitestrake is a Cyborg from the 9th Era to save Tamriel."
    True High King
    Member since August 2013.
    Eastmarch Trade Company | Washed Up Raiders | Order of the Bear (RIP 4.17.2015 - 5.31.2019)
    EP | Björn Járnsída | Dragonknight Tank
    EP | First-Rank Ansei | Stamina Nightblade
    EP | Advancing Yokeda | Stamina Sorceror
    EP | Immortal Yokeda | Stamina Necromancer
    EP | Resilient Yokeda | Stamina Dragonknight
    EP | Talvos Sari | Magicka Sorcerer
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JarlUlfric wrote: »
    "Pelinal Whitestrake is a Cyborg from the 9th Era to save Tamriel."

Who kills people with his laser beam chest.

I mean, it's one of the more hilarious details from Kirkbride, and I love it. But, man is some of his stuff bonkers.
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    Anytime someone asserts they know the "canonical" race or gender for a main series elder scrolls protagonist. There was a time when the UESP page on the Nerevarine claimed they were a male based on a writing mistake in the Dragonborn DLC, and let me tell you that rustled every single one of my jimmies.
  • 16BitForestCat
    16BitForestCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to dig this one out again, on a whim.

Unicorns do exist in The Elder Scrolls, but are exceedingly rare. To the best of my recollection one individual has appeared in game. It's part Hircine's quest in Oblivion. Specifically, Hircine wants the thing dead. Unicorns have also been mentioned in dialog at least once. There's a Dark Brotherhood member in Skryim who comments on killing a Unicorn.

Chiming in again...it's been some years since my last Oblivion playthrough, but after deciding to take the Unicorn as a mount,* I totally get why Hircine wanted me to kill it. That Unicorn is a total jerk. I eventually ended up shutting it in a fence at Cheydinhal (slaughtering any NPC's who might open the gate), occasionally going back to point and laugh at my pretty, useless, pretty useless, a-hole, ex-mount. I stuck with Shadowmere after that. At least she didn't try to kill me or run away on a regular basis without mods. (Also, the Unicorn took my lunch money a few times and called me a nerd.) ;P

*I put a copy of its alicorn in my inventory so I could still complete the quest in Hircine's favor because I was doing a pro-Daedric Prince run. PC console commands FTW!
    Edited by 16BitForestCat on August 20, 2017 12:39AM
    PC/NA. Alliance agnostic: all factions suck and should go touch grass together.
    If you ever wonder why certain official fandom spaces are so often toxic, remember: corruption starts from the top.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to dig this one out again, on a whim.

Unicorns do exist in The Elder Scrolls, but are exceedingly rare. To the best of my recollection one individual has appeared in game. It's part Hircine's quest in Oblivion. Specifically, Hircine wants the thing dead. Unicorns have also been mentioned in dialog at least once. There's a Dark Brotherhood member in Skryim who comments on killing a Unicorn.

Chiming in again...it's been some years since my last Oblivion playthrough, but after deciding to take the Unicorn as a mount,* I totally get why Hircine wanted me to kill it. That Unicorn is a total jerk. I eventually ended up shutting it in a fence at Cheydinhal (slaughtering any NPC's who might open the gate), occasionally going back to point and laugh at my pretty, useless, pretty useless, a-hole, ex-mount. I stuck with Shadowmere after that. At least she didn't try to kill me or run away on a regular basis without mods. (Also, the Unicorn took my lunch money a few times and called me a nerd.) ;P

*I put a copy of its alicorn in my inventory so I could still complete the quest in Hircine's favor because I was doing a pro-Daedric Prince run. PC console commands FTW!

Oh yeah, the Unicorn's AI package is bonkers (specifically its faction), and as a result it is a psychotic little monster.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Add new playable races pls, like sload and the monkey-men".
  • MUSTACHMAN654
    MUSTACHMAN654
    ✭✭
    When my friend first played Skyrim, he translated the song as: "For the king, for the king, for the king of Skyrim"
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When my friend first played Skyrim, he translated the song as: "For the king, for the king, for the king of Skyrim"

To be fair, the English translation of the song is pretty stupid sounding as well.. :p
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just thought of another one, that irks me to no end: "mana" instead of "magicka". I don't know which setting that comes from but in TES, it's always "magicka"!

This bugs me too!

As does calling trials raids.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Tamriel?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    As does calling trials raids.

That's not a lore thing.
    One Tamriel?

Nor is that.

:p
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just thought of another one, that irks me to no end: "mana" instead of "magicka". I don't know which setting that comes from but in TES, it's always "magicka"!
    This bugs me too!
    That's actually not a problem. There are two separate sources which cite "mana" as a thing; Arcana Restored and The Vagaries of Magicka. While not expanded on at all, and usually just bundled into Magicka for ease of understanding, it seems that Mana is to Magicka what Vitality is to Health, and Mana is the life-force of Magicka within living things.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey I've got one:

"Dragon break", when it's use to explain every little inconsistency even when there are more interesting rationalisations available.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Hey I've got one:

"Dragon break", when it's use to explain every little inconsistency even when there are more interesting rationalisations available.

"The flow of time is convoluted in Lordran on Tamriel."
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, right, also, nearly any sentence using the word Skryim to refer to something other than the province itself.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "my character worships Talos"
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    "my character worships Talos"

All these time-traveling cyborgs from the 9th era are really messin' with my immersion...
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Hey I've got one:

lucy-xena-simpsons-wizard-whenever-you-notice-something-like-that-a-wizard-did-it.jpg
This discussion has been closed.