Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The Persuasion perk?

LeBeowulf
LeBeowulf
In conversation with a quest npc the only response option offered requires a persuasion perk! Since I have none, I can't complete the quest. I checked the tutorial & can't find anything on Perks. What am I missing? :|
Metaphysical Theory
Everything is One...You. You are so much greater than the outline of your body. Objects originate from you.
Everything is many...Objects. You are the extent of your skin. Objects surround you.
Reality is either, neither or both; herein lies perception.
Must we redefine the illusion of birth.
Allen Cecil Norde`

Best Answer

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure there's always a way to get the quest done. Have you looked to see if you can talk to any other NPC's? Maybe bribe a different one with gold?
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    Thanks for the heads-up paulsimonps. I'm on my way to the Mages guild :)
    Metaphysical Theory
    Everything is One...You. You are so much greater than the outline of your body. Objects originate from you.
    Everything is many...Objects. You are the extent of your skin. Objects surround you.
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which quest is it? Intimidation and Persuasion are pretty much just shortcuts to avoid the "ten bear butt" part of the quests, so chances are you need to do something else.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    Which quest is it? Intimidation and Persuasion are pretty much just shortcuts to avoid the "ten bear butt" part of the quests, so chances are you need to do something else.
    I completed the quest in question & can't recall the title of it at the moment, but paulsimonps was right-on. It's the 1st passive mage skill after I joined the guild.
    You must not have joined the guild otherwise you would know :)
    Edited by LeBeowulf on August 8, 2017 4:44AM
    Metaphysical Theory
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeBeowulf wrote: »
    I completed the quest in question & can't recall the title of it at the moment, but paulsimonps was right-on. It's the 1st passive mage skill after I joined the guild.
    You must not have joined the guild otherwise you would know :)

I know what Persuasion is. What MissBizz and I were both saying is that you should never need that skill to finish a quest. It's a shortcut. Great that you have it, because it makes quite a few quests easier (and often funnier!)... but you were also probably missing something on the quest too. Whatever the case, glad you got it figured out. *shrug*

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

• LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    @BlackSparrow & MissBizz: I read paulsimonps reply & immediately joined the Mage guild to complete the episode in that particular manner before reading your replies. Now I know, thanks to you both, there's always other means to get a quest completed. Btw BlackSparrow, you mention "ten bear butt" part of quests, would you please care to elaborate? :)
    Metaphysical Theory
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was referring to the Fetch part of quests that can be avoided or mitigated with the Persuasion Choice.

Also, note, that the Fighter's Guild also has a passive like this called Intimidation. This can do the same thing with some quests. There is one Achievement in the game that can not be accomplished unless you have this passive. You might as well grab that one too if you have a spare skill point.
    Edited by Nestor on August 8, 2017 3:09PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BlackSparrow & MissBizz: I read paulsimonps reply & immediately joined the Mage guild to complete the episode in that particular manner before reading your replies. Now I know, thanks to you both, there's always other means to get a quest completed. Btw BlackSparrow, you mention "ten bear butt" part of quests, would you please care to elaborate? :)

Ha, yeah. "Ten bear butt" is gamer slang for the sorts of quests where you're supposed to go out and kill a bunch of mobs to retrieve some set amount of randomly dropping items, then come back to give them to the quest-giver. These quests are super common in MMOs, since they're basically gaming busywork, to the point where some MMOs are notorious for having little but this kind of quest. Many gamers find that such quests take up too much time despite being neither difficult nor interesting, which is why ESO having Persuasion and Intimidation (the first Fighter's Guild passive, just like Persuasion is the first Mages Guild passive) to skip such parts of quests is nice.

Here's the TV Tropes article on the concept... though be warned that ye who enter the TV Tropes website shall not leave without several hours passing and a hundred tabs opened. TV Tropes can lead to some long wiki walks. XD
    Edited by BlackSparrow on August 8, 2017 3:17PM

My Girls:

• LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    @Nestor: I grabbed it. Thanks for the heads-up :)
    Metaphysical Theory
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    @BlackSparrow: I just returned from the site. tl;dr LOL. Thanks for your brilliant colloquial dissertation on bear asses & ways to hunt them down :)
    Edited by LeBeowulf on August 8, 2017 5:29PM
    Metaphysical Theory
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha, yeah. "Ten bear butt" is gamer slang for the sorts of quests where you're supposed to go out and kill a bunch of mobs to retrieve some set amount of randomly dropping items, then come back to give them to the quest-giver. These quests are super common in MMOs, since they're basically gaming busywork, to the point where some MMOs are notorious for having little but this kind of quest. Many gamers find that such quests take up too much time despite being neither difficult nor interesting, which is why ESO having Persuasion and Intimidation (the first Fighter's Guild passive, just like Persuasion is the first Mages Guild passive) to skip such parts of quests is nice.

Here's the TV Tropes article on the concept... though be warned that ye who enter the TV Tropes website shall not leave without several hours passing and a hundred tabs opened. TV Tropes can lead to some long wiki walks. XD
    Yes, mostly Persuasion and Intimidation save you from paying bribes or paying for quest items. This is nice at the start then you are short of money.
    sometimes it saves you for work or you can get an follower in quest.
    Well worth having unless desperate for skill point.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.