Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sentences that trigger lore nerds

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    I just thought of another one, that irks me to no end: "mana" instead of "magicka". I don't know which setting that comes from but in TES, it's always "magicka"!

It's biblical. Literally. As I recall, it's an old Hebrew word that roughly translates to, "what is it?"

I'm not sure when it popped up as a measurement of magical energy, though.

D&D maybe?

D&D uses Vancian magic. So, no mana equivalent there. (The exception is Psionic characters, but that's called "focus," or something.)

As @adriant1978 indicated, it's Larry Niven.
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    "ESO is just like Skyrim!"
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunah wrote: »

Omg no. "Is eso as good as skyrim?" Cringe af
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much any variation of, 'I have an idea in my head from another game series and it has to be canon for Elder Scrolls too!'
    Edit: And I forgot "Introducing the XXX Crown Crate Season"

I dunno if that one's specific to the Warriors of the Lore though. ;)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "C0DA is canon"

I clicked. I looked a little. I saw this,

1392464547380.jpg

Oh yeah, I was triggered. That's supposed to be Nirn in the 5th Era? And Dunmer are living on the moon now?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭
    I just thought of another one, that irks me to no end: "mana" instead of "magicka". I don't know which setting that comes from but in TES, it's always "magicka"!

Magic: The Gathering. The lands provide you with mana to cast your spells and summons.

OT:

"There's nothing interesting about Argonians in lore. People only like them for their racials"

"Orcs aren't elves"

"All Dwarves are the same" (Normally could be true until you get to ElderScrolls)

"Argonians are uncivilized"

"It wouldn't be hard to conquer BlackMarsh if you knew what you were doing" *Raaaaaage*

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magic: The Gathering. The lands provide you with mana to cast your spells and summons.

OT:

"There's nothing interesting about Argonians in lore. People only like them for their racials"

"Orcs aren't elves"

"All Dwarves are the same" (Normally could be true until you get to ElderScrolls)

"It wouldn't be hard to conquer BlackMarsh if you knew what you were doing" *Raaaaaage*

I agree with the Argonian comments
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »

OT:

"Orcs aren't elves"

I agree with the Argonian comments

*triggered*
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    my husband said this once.

"the wood elves are just like the night elves in WOW"

My husband always says "why do you spend so much time playing with your elves on that computer?"

My usual response is: "If I don't get to play with my elves on that computer, you don't get to play with my elves on that bed" ... Shuts him up every time :wink:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    By the Nine, how many septims do I have to pay to see some dragons around here?

This made my drink shoot out my nose xD
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    "C0DA is canon"

1392464547380.jpg

Oh yeah, I was triggered. That's supposed to be Nirn in the 5th Era? And Dunmer are living on the moon now?

Well, is it canon?
    CP630 AR20 PC EU, Alt Mag Sorc AD - Insomnicia Rex
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "C0DA is canon"

1392464547380.jpg

Well, is it canon?

It's from Kirkbride after he left Bethesda, so, no.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "C0DA is canon"

1392464547380.jpg

Well, is it canon?

Kirkbride did many things for Oblivion and a few things for Skyrim. Both games were developed after he had left Bethesda and those are universally considered canon nonetheless.
    => argument invalid.
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭
    "C0DA is canon"

1392464547380.jpg

Well, is it canon?

Kirkbride did many things for Oblivion and a few things for Skyrim. Both games were developed after he had left Bethesda and those are universally considered canon nonetheless.
    => argument invalid.

Oblivian and Skyrim are inside sources. Anything they do no matter who it was, is considered canon. But, Kirkbride, on his own, is an outside source. he MAY be right about this item but until we know he is right by an inside source, it isn't canon. Canon means it is lore truth. All we have so far is a possibility of lore truth.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "C0DA is canon"

1392464547380.jpg

Well, is it canon?

=> argument invalid.

Given you don't seem to understand what a canon is, your ability to declare anything suspect is invalid.

A canon is a collection of works that are taken together as a larger gestalt.

Designation of something being included or excluded from a canon ultimately comes down to authoritative voices on the subject. In this case, the accepted authority for designating the TES canon would be Bethesda. Arguably ZOS should also be on that list, but there's a consensual element to this. Some of the community is willing to accept ZOS's contributions as canon, and their designation of canon materials. Others, not so much.

Which brings us to Kirkbride. Some members of the community view him as an absolute authority on the setting. He's not. He is no longer in a position to formally dictate canon, and the stuff he has produced since than, that hasn't been formally accepted by Bethesda or ZOS should be treated as apocryphal.

This is especially true of C0DA, as it severely deviates from the established canon.

Saying otherwise would be like claiming that Andromeda and Lost Universe should be considered Star Trek canon because Roddenberry worked on both, and clearly intended for those works to function as part of that setting. With the serial numbers filed off, due to IP rights issues.

So, no, C0DA is not canon. At least not now. Bethesda could chose to dig it up and incorporate it into Starfield if they wanted to, at which point, hey, it'd be canon. But, until then, it is not.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firemoth Island.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Firemoth Island.

:expressionless: I'm just going to pretend the Reman Dynasty had holdings there or something until someone can prove otherwise.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firemoth Island.

You win this round.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given you don't seem to understand what a canon is, your ability to declare anything suspect is invalid.

I know what "canon" means, thank you.
    Which brings us to Kirkbride. Some members of the community view him as an absolute authority on the setting. He's not. He is no longer in a position to formally dictate canon, and the stuff he has produced since than, that hasn't been formally accepted by Bethesda or ZOS should be treated as apocryphal.

Except that the argument was "Kirkbride wasn't working for Beth anymore, therefore it's not canon". That argument is invalid.
    Your current argument on the other hand ("Nothing is canon unless included by ZOS or Bethesda in an official release") is completely different - and valid, at least from a logical point of view.
    Which brings us to Kirkbride.

Thank you for illustrating my point so effectively :-)
    Michael Kirkbride. In any sentence.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 6, 2017 9:50AM
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeap it seems that even here MK stirs the waters ;)
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's biblical. Literally. As I recall, it's an old Hebrew word that roughly translates to, "what is it?"

D&D maybe?

"Magic: The Gathering" card game. It used "Mana" as a reserve of "magicka".
    But, still no place in TES.. :smiley:

As far as "Canon"...for me, if it is not "In-Game" in any 10 TES games,( books, NPC Diaolog, etc.), it is not "Canon"...
    My two Drakes....Huzzah!
    Edited by wenchmore420b14_ESO on August 5, 2017 8:12PM
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firemoth Island.

You win this round.
    Don't get it?
    It was the starting location in ESO: Morrowind and an slaver base, it was an imperial fort in TES3 700 years later.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Two more keeps so I can be emperor!"

The whole system for emperorship really triggers me lorewise. I get why it's the way it is for competition's sake, but that's not how Empires work...at all...
    Edited by Dread_Guy on August 5, 2017 9:32PM
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    Sunah wrote: »

Omg no. "Is eso as good as skyrim?" Cringe af

Nothing get me more, how can one even assume they are alike or even comparable.

"I don't consider eso Canon because the lusty argonian maid book is in the game"

"game is not Canon because you have so many soulless people running around and so many heroes who defeated Molag bal fighting in cyrodiil"
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

D&D maybe?

"Magic: The Gathering" card game. It used "Mana" as a reserve of "magicka".
    But, still no place in TES.. :smiley:

As far as "Canon"...for me, if it is not "In-Game" in any 10 TES games,( books, NPC Diaolog, etc.), it is not "Canon"...
    My two Drakes....Huzzah!

One very important exception to this. There's also the Pocket Guide to the Empire. There's actually two different editions. One was included with Redguard and is accurate to the late second era, and the second was packaged with the Collector's Edition of Oblivion, and is accurate to the late Third Era. Both have been specifically acknowledged as canonical, and include information that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere, or has been later confirmed (for example, the first mentions of the Thalmor come from the Pocket Guide).
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Firemoth Island.

You win this round.
    Don't get it?
    It was the starting location in ESO: Morrowind and an slaver base, it was an imperial fort in TES3 700 years later.

The island has a Velothi name. The Imperial name dates to the first or second century of the Third Era. Meaning it shouldn't be called "Firemoth" in ESO.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Referring to the TES series as "the Skyrim games".

"So how do you make your character dragonborn"
    "You can't"
    "But you can become dragonborn in all the other Skyrim games so why not this one?"
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

"You can't"
    "But you can become dragonborn in all the other Skyrim games so why not this one?"

That'd do it.

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

"You can't"

Dude even my first game was Skyrim and I'm not dumb enough to claim the entire series as "The Skyrim Series", which leads me to the following;

4257962.jpg
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firemoth Island.
    :angry:
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
This discussion has been closed.