Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Error 210 / 209 possible solution (Works for me)

shynobyred7
shynobyred7
Soul Shriven
First of all, let me tell you that I am a 19 year old computer technician working inside the customer service, I saw you customer weren't very happy.

Well after getting the error 210 and 209 for pretty much a while now, I looked up on the forums just to see that the issue is known but there is not really a solution for it, only troubleshooting sometimes happen to solve the problem, I have founded myself, a solution that worked perfectly since I have applied.

Let me start with the fact that before I used my solution, I had to re-install the game completly to play and the next day, I couldn't play anymore because I received the same error as always. The patch manifest error.

But, one day, I searched in the known error database about this error and I tried one of the troubleshooting step, which is to execute the launcher as an administrator.

It worked, perfectly.

Now that I knew it was a problem of permission on the folder and not about the launcher, I changed all my permission as a user (which I hadn't permssion to modify) to total control on the Zenimax Online Folder and then I tried to execute the launcher as a non administrator, still worked.

After thinking, it all came logically to me that the Bethesda.net_Launcher.patchmanifest needed a permission of modification to be runned, so I think it is all about the modify permission on the ProgramData folder at the path :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher\ProgramData

Maybe you could try to tell some people about this solution to other customer and perhaps, offer me a job to help with the problem finding and troubleshooting, I am very good at it and I have not many chance to go in deeper problems at my current job at the ministry of transport of Quebec.

Maybe this long lasting error that caused you to loose alot of customer is now fixed, maybe not, but thank you for reading my ticket.
  • shynobyred7
    shynobyred7
    Soul Shriven
    It is a copy / past from a ticket that has not been answered but I wanted to share the solution with everyone
  • Deggac
    Deggac
    ✭✭
    Hello shynobyred7, i wanted to invite you to check this post

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/280064/reliable-source-serving-corrupt-data-in-download-updated

I'm trying to search for someone who can help me with this, since the support doesnt.. And its a general Issue that a lot of us have!

I'd really appreciate your help man, cheers!
    Tesoist since 8 years old.
    [Day]Reading-studying-fighting[/Night]

Waiting for enter Tamriel, I'm tired of watching pRon man...

https://www.instagram.com/diego.garay.g/
  • Wooster70
    Wooster70
    Soul Shriven
    Hello, Shynobyred7. I just wanted to tell you that you are a genius- no sarcasm :) After hours of fruitless troubleshooting and trying all the methods from the official support I found your advice. It worked like magic! I asked the suport team to include it in their guide. A million thanks to you.
  • shynobyred7
    shynobyred7
    Soul Shriven
    Ahahhahahah, you are the first reply I get for this post ! You are welcome a million time :)
  • Vrathak
    Vrathak
    ✭✭✭
    That has been known ever since the game launches back in March 2014. And I should advise you against allowing full control on any folders within your Program files folder... there`s a reason why this is locked down by Windows.

At least you did put that only on the ESO folder but think about it one second. People download addons like crazy for this game, addons are installed on the user pGMdata folder, good enough. But what if a pissed off addon developer decides to take a shot at ZOS because he is pissed with them and changes his addon to install files in that directory and mess with ZOS files? or worse, install Trojan waiting for ESO to be launched.

Of course you open up yourself only to ESO and mainly no oen will create virus targeting ESO players... but it can happen. And you`d get it because you allowed Full control to everyone on your ZOS folder.

Bad move there. You should revert those permissions back to Windows defaults and keep use Launch as administrator. As a computer technician, you should be more aware of that. But eh... you`re 19... you`ve got years ahead of you to learn ;)
    Edited by Vrathak on September 21, 2016 4:02PM
  • shynobyred7
    shynobyred7
    Soul Shriven
    You sound like one pissed off addon developper.

There is no reason to be afraid if you know what you are doing, if it needed another permission elsewhere than the eso folder, then you should ask yourself questions.

When I posted it, it was my solution to everyone's problem, and mine since ESO analyst programers doesn't seem to come with a permanent solution and they seem to have no temporary solution that work for everyone, I did my own.

Maybe with all your knowledge into the IT fields you could give us some help, but you don't.

Its nice to know an issue is known for 2 years and they still haven't fixed the problem that thousand of users are getting that prevents them from playing the game they paid.

Oh and, those pissed off developpers that want to make harm are all a bunch of turds, get a life. (I am not including you)
  • shynobyred7
    shynobyred7
    Soul Shriven
    And I am pretty sure you could do the same steps as I described above without giving full permission but only read/write.

I haven't tested all the possibilities of it because I could play this way.

The control is only on the C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\ folder so addons won't have their permission changed into the Program Files(x86) and you simply give permission on a folder that you downloaded and wasn't core to the OS.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The patch manifest error.

First, nice work around for this issue.

However, there is even a simpler solution. Just don't use the Launcher other than on Patch Days. And, if you happen to get a Patch Manifest error message, they can be ignored unless for some reason the patch you need does not get downloaded. But, I will say that since I stopped using the Launcher more than a year ago, I have not seen a Manifest Error on the Launcher. I attribute that more to the PC I have going to sleep at some point, and the Launcher can not seem to reinitialize when the machine wakes back up. Probably related to the Permissions issue you have provided the work around on. Anyway, on Patch days, I set my machine to not go to sleep so the Launcher does not get indigestion. I come home from work, set my machine back to normal sleep times and close the Launcher and use a Shortcut to the EXE to launch the game.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• shynobyred7
    shynobyred7
    Soul Shriven
    I remember having an issue that prevented me from launching the game from the executable, I don't remember its been awhile and I have not played the game for a long time.

But yeah, what ever works for you, I am glad I could help you in some way :smile:

Take care !
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember having an issue that prevented me from launching the game from the executable, I don't remember its been awhile and I have not played the game for a long time.

But yeah, what ever works for you, I am glad I could help you in some way :smile:

Take care !

The Patch Manifest Error can stop the game from being updated, as it does not know what the patch version is. That is probably why you could not load the game. I think they solved the issue that caused the Manifest Errors right out the gate when launching the Launcher for the most part, but some conditions can make this error come back.

I have to say, that disabling the Flash Screens and using the Shortcut makes launching the game so much nicer, and faster as you don't have to wait for the Launcher to initialize, download the manifest, and the news before you can click Play.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrlikSkarsol
    UrlikSkarsol
    Soul Shriven
    Does anyone know a way around the launcher on a Mac?
  • Volsera
    Volsera
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, let me tell you that I am a 19 year old computer technician working inside the customer service, I saw you customer weren't very happy.

Well after getting the error 210 and 209 for pretty much a while now, I looked up on the forums just to see that the issue is known but there is not really a solution for it, only troubleshooting sometimes happen to solve the problem, I have founded myself, a solution that worked perfectly since I have applied.

Let me start with the fact that before I used my solution, I had to re-install the game completly to play and the next day, I couldn't play anymore because I received the same error as always. The patch manifest error.

But, one day, I searched in the known error database about this error and I tried one of the troubleshooting step, which is to execute the launcher as an administrator.

It worked, perfectly.

Now that I knew it was a problem of permission on the folder and not about the launcher, I changed all my permission as a user (which I hadn't permssion to modify) to total control on the Zenimax Online Folder and then I tried to execute the launcher as a non administrator, still worked.

After thinking, it all came logically to me that the Bethesda.net_Launcher.patchmanifest needed a permission of modification to be runned, so I think it is all about the modify permission on the ProgramData folder at the path :
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher\ProgramData

Maybe you could try to tell some people about this solution to other customer and perhaps, offer me a job to help with the problem finding and troubleshooting, I am very good at it and I have not many chance to go in deeper problems at my current job at the ministry of transport of Quebec.

Maybe this long lasting error that caused you to loose alot of customer is now fixed, maybe not, but thank you for reading my ticket.

Holy **** dude, you are my HERO.

I haven't played ESO for over a year now because at first I had a lot of school and work related things to do but when I wanted to play again one day I got the Error 210 over and over again and my launcher just kept on freezing and crashing so I just gave up on it. (I suck with pc's). This SIMPLE solution of just opening the launcher as an administrator worked perfectly and now after more than a year I can FINALLY get back into ESO and start raiding with my friends again, thank you so much.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since you got a workaround that helped at least someone, i hereby grant you an "awesome" :smile:
    Edited by DoonerSeraph on August 3, 2017 1:42PM