The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tanking with Destro & BnS?! Leveling, Dungeons.. looking for a different playstyle.

M1ndfck
M1ndfck
Hey Guys,

Iam kinda new to this Game, but not new to mmo`s at all.

I started over too many times and now iam a bit lost.

Usually i level in Dungeons, the difference between the Groups can be enorm.. sometimes you rush.. sometimes you have a "bossfight" with the trashgroups.

Well what me really mesmerizes is when there is a tank, in cloth armor with a Destro-Staff and deals a ton of dmg.

So thats is what i want to do.. playing a different tank, mostly using my staff, dealing dmg and still have sustain.

My questions are: Is it viable? good to level and where is it limited?

I would like to do it with a magblade but no idea wich race also kinda clueless wich skills would fit best.

So if you want to help a newb, i would be happy =)

(be easy with my english, iam not a native speaker)

see ya!
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanking with light armor & destro staff isn't possible. Sure, maybe you can stack Annulment (Light armor shielding skill) and Absorb magic (1h+s shielding skill) you can add a bit of tankiness on your build, but you're gonna have hard time tanking any veteran difficulty bosses.

Anyone can tank dungeon bosses with almost any build.

It is possible that the tank you refer is not an actual tank, but has heavy armor concealed under a costume.

If you want to play tank, i'd equip 5 heavy 1 medium and 1 light armor with 1h+s front bar and resto staff as a backup bar.

NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • Zvorgin
    Zvorgin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olen_Mikko wrote: »
    Tanking with light armor & destro staff isn't possible. Sure, maybe you can stack Annulment (Light armor shielding skill) and Absorb magic (1h+s shielding skill) you can add a bit of tankiness on your build, but you're gonna have hard time tanking any veteran difficulty bosses.

Anyone can tank dungeon bosses with almost any build.

It is possible that the tank you refer is not an actual tank, but has heavy armor concealed under a costume.

If you want to play tank, i'd equip 5 heavy 1 medium and 1 light armor with 1h+s front bar and resto staff as a backup bar.

A tank does not need a resto staff unless you mean a heavy armor solo playstyle. For four man content the tank should in double sword and board. There is a healer in group for healing and 2 dps. A tank that is a half tank and half healer/dps is just going to be bad at both.

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    M1ndfck wrote: »
    I would like to do it with a magblade but no idea wich race also kinda clueless wich skills would fit best.

Heavy armor NB sap tank might be a good fit for you. Using a modified version of Gilliam's Bloodletter build, I can contribute significant dps on trash pulls, often heal the group more than the healer and can self-sustain. I use double S&B.

Would I suggest trying to tank a trial or a vet DLC on HM with it? No. But it's a fun build, very durable and sustainable, and pug-tested.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    M1ndfck wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Iam kinda new to this Game, but not new to mmo`s at all.

I started over too many times and now iam a bit lost.

Usually i level in Dungeons, the difference between the Groups can be enorm.. sometimes you rush.. sometimes you have a "bossfight" with the trashgroups.

Well what me really mesmerizes is when there is a tank, in cloth armor with a Destro-Staff and deals a ton of dmg.

So thats is what i want to do.. playing a different tank, mostly using my staff, dealing dmg and still have sustain.

My questions are: Is it viable? good to level and where is it limited?

So if you want to help a newb, i would be happy =)

(be easy with my english, iam not a native speaker)

see ya!

You can tank with a Ice Staff Destro staff, their passives makes it so heavy attacks comes a taunt and blocking takes magicka instead of stamina, its a different type of playstyle and not really common but do able if done right. Ok for group dungeons but I would never do it in 12 man Trials.
  • M1ndfck
    M1ndfck
    thanks for all your replies! i decided against the idea with all your help and play now a magicka dk :)