The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

USB headset = tinny, terrible sound

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This isn't a complaint about ESO or its sound, but a question about sound and playback devices.

I got a headset with only a USB connection, and no official drivers are available. My $10 earbuds that plug into the 3.1 input jack sound way better, and the drop quality is sooooo much worse in games in general and ESO in particular. I've tried following lots of online advice but most of it seems inapplicable or it doesn't work. I admit I didn't spend a lot on the headset, yet others use it just fine. I have an MSI gaming laptop with Nahimic and all of the sound boosting/customization is available with my cheap earbuds but my Sades A60/OMG headset is locked out of those features. The simplest tone tests are OK for the headset, music on YouTube is "meh", but holy crap gaming sound is bad. Some parts are OK to meh, other parts are very... *sigh*

I picked up a Steel Series headset today to test with, also USB, to see if it's all USB headsets that sound bad on my PC or just the one. And...it's pretty much any USB headset. I can return one or both, just bummed that my earbuds beat them both. Will update with any additional results, but suggestions for improvement (other than "Go back to your earbuds" because obviously I will if nothing else works) are welcome. I've read that lots of people with Windows 10 have had issue with USB headsets, but the fixes vary and some people just can't make them work well.
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I can think of is that headphones actually need some "playing in" just like speakers. My current "analog" headphones had a bad tin can sound at first, but within a couple of hours (or days) they loosened up and now have a great dynamic range with deep bass.

There isn't anything in the device's sound settings you can try out? Different bit rate/sample rate? Or check if any "virtual surround" or other effects are on maybe?
    Edited by Idinuse on July 22, 2017 8:34PM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is that headphones actually need some "playing in" just like speakers. My current "analog" headphones had a bad tin can sound at first, but within a couple of hours (or days) they loosened up and now have a great dynamic range with deep bass.

There isn't anything in the device's sound settings you can try out? Different bit rate/sample rate? Or check if any "virtual surround" or other effects are on maybe?

Well, I mean, for music on YouTube I notice there is a slightly muffled effect on some songs. In ESO and other MMOs, that muffling-to-tinny effect is much stronger for ability effects and UI effects and such. In ESO, that distortion/muffling comes through very strongly with voice acting. I guess in some ways it's like I'm listening to someone play the game on the other side of a wall. Yet the music is like any other in-game or out, OK to slightly muffled/less crisp.

The Sades A60/OMG is a plug-n-play. Lots of other people seem happy with the quality, so who knows. I saw in some places that people tried getting a generic Sades headset driver for Windows 10, but that doesn't work for the A60/OMG, as the initializer for driver doesn't recognize the device. Oddly, the Sades forums are gone, but on their FAQ they say that if you have that issue when trying to install the driver don't use USB3.x. Well, on Amazon and many other places people who use it successfully say they don't use the driver and that you aren't supposed to like the box and selling page say. OK, that means no native laptop soundcard, no Nahimic sound system or RealTek audio, just whatever the A60 has on board and a generic USB driver from Windows. That in turn means no controls other than turning the volume up and down.

The SteelSeries Siberia 150 was recognized by the SteelSeries interface already on my MSI laptop (which is a somewhat newer model, lots of flashy stuff, slightly high end of middle range for that manufacturer), and even said an update was needed (which I installed), but the only controls it offered were some equalization sliders that did nothing.

I looked up general issues and fixes with USB-only headsets and Windows/Windows 10, but nothing there either corresponded to my issue or helped at all. As far as I can tell, my laptop and Windows just don't seem to be able to do anything with USB headsets other than the quality described. So, that ate up a lot of my free time last night and today which means less fun on the weekend then back to work Monday :/
    Edited by tinythinker on July 22, 2017 8:59PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking of the Windows native sound setting/properties page. Like this. Sorry for the Swedish Windows...
    DB5FYql.png

Oh, I see you've checkid it already. Nvm then =D
    Edited by Idinuse on July 22, 2017 9:01PM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »
    I was thinking of the Windows native sound setting/properties page. Like this. Sorry for the Swedish Windows...
    DB5FYql.png

Oh, I see you've checkid it already. Nvm then =D

Yeah, well, I just turned those enhancements under Windows sound back on for ESO after turning them off while using them to test sound in another application. Makes the voice acting and music a little better, but the ability/UI effects/doors/etc. are simply louder and amplifying the distortion/muffling effect. [Using the Sades headset again]. Oh wow, standing by the transitus is really bad with all of that casting by the NPCs, moving away...

In any case, thanks for the admirable attempt to help. I've never used anything but native soundcards and simple headphones before so I have no idea what I'm doing, but what I can do hasn't helped much.

EDIT: Thunder seems OK, too.

I wish these things did have a custom control panel and driver from the manufacturer, I might be able to slide/toggle settings enough to fix the issues.

EDIT 2: Also, just realized that despite the muffling/distortion, I can hear some aspects of ability sound effects I never noticed before. Arggh, if only the distortion would go away.

EDIT 3: Hmm, turning down the volume on the Effects slider makes those sounds tolerable. Hehe, making a little progress. The distorted muffling isn't gone, but it is less severe and intrusive when the volume is lowered.
    Edited by tinythinker on July 22, 2017 9:24PM

• Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't play on my PC that often anymore, just sitting there which is a shame. Especially when I built it :( (But I'm re downloading Skyrim and still play ESO PTS)

But if and when I do play my PC. I don't use any headphones, so I'm unable to help; since I usually play sound on my T.V. Alas this download may or may not help.

It's to make any stero headphones 7.1 Surround sound. I think you could try and mess with the settings, it may or might not help you OP. This Razer site is trusted also. I'll provide the link, but let's see if it might help you.

https://www.razerzone.com/surround
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't play on my PC that often anymore, just sitting there which is a shame. Especially when I built it :( (But I'm re downloading Skyrim and still play ESO PTS)

But if and when I do play my PC. I don't use any headphones, so I'm unable to help; since I usually play sound on my T.V. Alas this download may or may not help.

It's to make any stero headphones 7.1 Surround sound. I think you could try and mess with the settings, it may or might not help you OP. This Razer site is trusted also. I'll provide the link, but let's see if it might help you.

https://www.razerzone.com/surround
    Very thoughtful. Will check it out after work.