Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is there a furniture limit anyway?

Teridaxus
Teridaxus
✭✭✭✭✭
What is the reasoning anyway?
Except with eso plus which got other benefits anyway, you don't even try to make money with it.

If someone want to put 1000 statues of molag bal or 1 million of those free chairs down, let him.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rendering it all
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Rendering it all

Still a little low for even the gimpiest of computers.

Pretty sure my rig could deal with a good 3x the limit and probably even more.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Database storage on the server and its impact on performance.
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Database storage on the server and its impact on performance.

That sounds more like the reason...it's limited by dollars invested into the servers.
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Betheny wrote: »

@Betheny
    One, consoles already suck at rendering ESO.

Two, imagine a friend with a weaker PC enters your home, gets stuck because his PC can't handle all that furniture.
    It'd require him to send in a ticket and customer support would have to move his character.

Three, they dont want to keep huge databases on the servers because someone wants 1000000 chairs.
    ESO Balance:
    “All skills are equal, but some skills are more equal than others.”
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Draqone wrote: »

@Betheny

Two, imagine a friend with a weaker PC enters your home, gets stuck because his PC can't handle all that furniture.
    It'd require him to send in a ticket and customer support would have to move his character.

Three, they dont want to keep huge databases on the servers because someone wants 1000000 chairs.

1) Buy a PC!

2) Buy a real PC!

3) Buy better servers!
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The servers are collapsing anyway so i fail to see the problem regarding performance.
  • pareidolon
    pareidolon
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's clear that one reason is to incentivize buying larger houses and buying ESO Plus subscriptions. It also has similar effect to limited bag and bank space.

I also agree with the idea that rendering would become an issue if they allowed a massive quantity of objects, each of which can produce a lighting effect, shadows, animation, etc. As far as server storage space, it's probably just eight variables per item (id, state, x, y, z, alpha, beta, gamma).
    Edited by pareidolon on July 22, 2017 9:15AM
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rendering it all

This.

It would break the server.
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pele wrote: »
    Rendering it all

This.

Well the servers are broke so?
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teridaxus wrote: »
    Pele wrote: »
    Rendering it all

This.

Well the servers are broke so?
    So why add more stuff to break it even more.
  • malchior
    malchior
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering housing is instanced, the servers should be able to handle it. We're not in 1997.
    Edited by malchior on July 22, 2017 9:59AM
  • Mitoice
    Mitoice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the problem is with database storage.. not rendering...
    How do I know this??

Have you entered Maelstrom arena?

It a replica of Hunding Hall but with 10x more items allowed and NOBODY has had a problrm rendering it... another thing... why a big statue counts the same as a small apple? this seems like a storage issue ans not a rendering one

So my guess is database storage....
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever see the show "Hoarders"?

Some of them play ESO and would make the books in Apocrapha look like childs play for item stacks in one house.

Ok.. real reason. Houses are designed with hooks. They are actually six sided boxes meshed together to make a shape, which the art team draws the house around. The number of hex boxes used to make up a house in the base layer of the game becomes the number of hooks in the house, which becomes how many items you can put in it.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitoice wrote: »
    the problem is with database storage.. not rendering...
    How do I know this??

Have you entered Maelstrom arena?

It a replica of Hunding Hall but with 10x more items allowed and NOBODY has had a problrm rendering it... another thing... why a big statue counts the same as a small apple? this seems like a storage issue ans not a rendering one

So my guess is database storage....

As far as I know, In the game world when you see a table that has 20 items on it it is not 21 different items. It's been tuned into one asset that has to load.

In our homes however, these must all remain individual assets so we can place and position how we wish. That table with 20 items on it is 21 different assets that each have their own data regarding coordinates and rotation so your client knows how and where they need to be placed.

It's not just rendering, or storage, but a combination of the two.

I'm at about 558/600 items on my Amaya Lake property and when you first zone in it takes several seconds for all the trees I put in the yard to pop in.

This is why there is a furniture limit. They have to balance it against performance.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Erris
    Erris
    ✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    I'm at about 558/600 items on my Amaya Lake property and when you first zone in it takes several seconds for all the trees I put in the yard to pop in.

This is why there is a furniture limit. They have to balance it against performance.

I would gladly wait a few more seconds for double or triple the amount of items allowed.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Erris wrote: »

I would gladly wait a few more seconds for double or triple the amount of items allowed.

For every players that willingly goes to extremes and does not complain about the consequences, there are 100 that do it even if you warn them and then complain and post negative reviews :)
    In short, games are build to not rely on intelligence of players and simply cover all possible extremes

"Bough house on my xbox eso, put there 5000 items, game crashed and I cant relog back. Bad game"
    Edited by SodanTok on July 22, 2017 5:42PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Minutes, not seconds. Personally, I'd rather not go back to the days of timing out on login.
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Draqone wrote: »

@Betheny

I am on console and literally wait like a minute for my casa to load the furniture etc
    Xbox One Na
  • Mitoice
    Mitoice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of now.. I love housing but low housing items prevents me from buying more houses or getting more engaged to buying crown furniture items...

I feel like my house is very empty even with 600 housing items..
    If they were to raise this.. Ineould glady buy a LOT more houses and furniture items.... All of my friends feel the same.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rendering it all

Still a little low for even the gimpiest of computers.

Yep. I'm sitting at 80-100+ fps in my house with 600/600 furnishings.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on July 23, 2017 12:43AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That only happens the first time you load up the game (the assets are cached so they load instantly every subsequent visit). And it takes like 2 seconds at most.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on July 23, 2017 1:19AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pareidolon wrote: »
    Well it's clear that one reason is to incentivize buying larger houses and buying ESO Plus subscriptions. It also has similar effect to limited bag and bank space.

Larger houses actually have less furniture slots per square foot than smaller ones.

Decorating Ald Velothi with 400 items is easy. You can create a complete garden and interior without any issues. Now try decorating Amaya Lake Lodge, which is 2-3x bigger, yet only has 200 more furniture slots.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on July 23, 2017 12:42AM
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I would too, don't get me wrong. But have a look at the monumental amount of butthurt going on in these forums about lag and load screens and what not and then put yourself in ZOS' shoes

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I would too, don't get me wrong. But have a look at the monumental amount of butthurt going on in these forums about lag and load screens and what not and then put yourself in ZOS' shoes

Well, the difference here is choice.

Lag and loading screens out in the general ESO world are unavoidable for players with PCs/consoles that are affected, and this is what people are understandably raging about.

But it's not the same thing at all in housing. Everyone has the personal choice of how many items to place within the limit in their homes. They can choose whether to place a number of items that will not affect loading etc, or they can choose to place all the items they wish for their home and maybe have to wait a few seconds for it to load fully.

So why would ZOS restrict everyone across the board, when most people would probably have no issues with a much higher limit....and those who do still have the choice of how many items they wish to place and still retain decent performance.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I saw all the answers here...

1. Database storage and retrieval on the server to store the item, location, 3D state, and any other state information for each object in every house owned by every player that has one.
    2. Communicating each item, location, and 3D state from the server to the client over the internet when the house is loaded.
    3. The number of polygons that will need to be rendered by the lowest supported hardware. This is from the base house and all of the items that can be crammed into it needing to be rendered and displayed.
    4. Limits allow them to have a difference between ESO Plus and regular players.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on console and literally wait like a minute for my casa to load the furniture etc
    ^This is the answer to this thread, clear and simple.

Now that zos would allow only pc users to benefit of more slots... it's very unlikely, pc version of multi platforms games are so burdened by obsolete features because console versions. Honestly I just hope in their greed, I for one would spend a good amount of money for houses and furniture if I could enjoy them (aka extra slots to properly decorate the places), many other too since the number of threads about this and unhappy house owners posts.
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • MarbleQuiche
    MarbleQuiche
    ✭✭✭
    It's because they're too tight with server storage.

Each object would normally require 1 32bit integer (ID) and 9-16 32bit floating points that describe its world position and transform along each axis, depending on the representation they're using. Scaling along each axis would usually be stored too, but as they're so tight with the number of objects we can place I doubt they've any future plans to introduce scaling (and that's probably why it wasn't in at launch). So I guess they might be doing this for as little as 224bits/28bytes per object.

If this is their 'technical limit', then it's really pathetic. These requirements don't change with increased graphical fidelity and plenty of other games offer the exact same and more (e.g. Rift, which has scaling) on literally thousands of objects per housing instance. There is no technical reason why the storage and retrieval of said items would have a greater performance impact on ESO than on Rift. If anything, you'd expect ESO to be running on faster hardware.

Of course, they might have invested in zero extra capacity for the Homestead DLC. If so, that's a management problem, not a technical one.
    Currently obsessed with battlegrounds. Spamming here between rounds. Sometimes, when forums are particularly good, I skip ballerina around*

*autocorrected nonsense, but it sounds amusing enough to me that I've taken up ballet
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »

Well, the difference here is choice.

Lag and loading screens out in the general ESO world are unavoidable for players with PCs/consoles that are affected, and this is what people are understandably raging about.

But it's not the same thing at all in housing. Everyone has the personal choice of how many items to place within the limit in their homes. They can choose whether to place a number of items that will not affect loading etc, or they can choose to place all the items they wish for their home and maybe have to wait a few seconds for it to load fully.

So why would ZOS restrict everyone across the board, when most people would probably have no issues with a much higher limit....and those who do still have the choice of how many items they wish to place and still retain decent performance.

I wholeheartedly agree that they shouldn't restrict those of us willing to put up with possible increased load times, but you and I both see the same forums with the same users and the same rage. I think the big difference in your stance on it vs mine is I have no faith in people and believe people will whine about it. Watching the rant threads from a few weeks ago was a clear indication people were willing to throw absolutely temper tantrums towards ZOS when they had absolutely no clue what was going on (trouble with ATT in the area the ESO data center is at). I just can't see them not doing the same with this. "ZOS you allowed me to put 1500 items in my apartment why do I freeze when I enter it? FIX YOUR *** SERVERS"

But on the other side of the coin, it's not JUST that being considered. This all takes up space on the servers and uses server resources to control. It all has to be balanced.

I do recall them saying that they were starting low and going to watch performance. Hopefully we will see an increase.

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • SSlarg
    SSlarg
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on ps4 and my house loads instantly.
    even when there is some lag it only takes about two seconds.

(Strident springs 525/600)
    Edited by SSlarg on July 25, 2017 4:38PM
    PS4 NA PSN - SSlarg
    Currently Looking To Buy:
    NoThInG
This discussion has been closed.