The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why is ESO More Laggy than Other Games?

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    I don't buy the "it's an MMO, it's harder!" excuse. Not by a long shot.

Why do my 64-man BF1 games play smooth and my instanced ESO play (Maelstrom, 4-man dungeons/DSA, Trials) run at 12 FPS with horrible input lag?

IMO ZOS needs to do some serious thinking about what kind of client/server communication is necessary for players who are in PvP or instanced content. Or at least give us the option to shut down some of our integration with the larger world.

I've noticed that "notification" type stuff kicks up the lag another notch.

For instance, if someone joins or leaves one of my guilds while I'm in an instance, the game basically grinds to a halt for 1 or 2 seconds when the "PlayerOne has joined My Sweet Guild" notification pops. Same goes for weapon enchantments; when my enchant runs out, I get a horrendous lag spike right before it pops the little red weapon notification.

True! I suppose this is a bug. @ZOS_GinaBruno .
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yoohoo4411 wrote: »
    Tasear wrote: »
    I always assumed it was because it had to render more items in the background then other games not even including the mobs and other players. Also kinda think the rendering needs a bit of optimization, but who knows.

You take that logic and you go somewhere else, pal! We don't like your kind here.

Bubble sort are they allowed?
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, fun fact, OP is the same guy who started the "non-binary" post. A great laugh, I'll give it that, but still bait.

If that does show he's a bait poster then I don't know what will. lol

Why is it a "great laugh" because I inquired about the possibility for additional character creation options for those who like to model their characters after themselves, and perhaps don't identify as either of the two binary gender options available in the game?

Read the post from that thread again. In no way is it trying to be funny. I even put information into my post in that thread that shows that I understand why additional options beyond the two listed might not be an option (lore, excessive work to implement, dialogue, etc).

Both that thread and this thread are asking questions. 1) If options beyond the two binary genders would be considered and 2) Why ESO is more laggy than some other games I play. Did you not read the first post of this thread? It clearly states that I'm not knowledgeable about the topic - hence the question.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonzodog01 wrote: »
    There is a line of thought amongst the devs that the CP system might be to blame. They know very well about the lag, but trying to pin down its exact cause has been at best problematic.

I wasn't here during no-CP week in Cyrodiil, but I was told that Cyrodiil was considerably less laggy. See, the problems arise when the server is doing millions of calculations for a group of players to produce their damage based on their CP point allocations.

Likewise, its possible that it also causes problems in PvE areas where there are more than a dozen players.

Now ZOS are faced with a huge problem - they can't just scrap the CP system, but how do they stop the servers from having to do so many calculations.

This is partially why they trimmed down a load of the CP tree stars so the percentages were a lot less, and then put in the waypoints in the trees, so the server ONLY does the calculations at those waypoints.

This is whats causing some really odd build problems amongst the theorycrafters who arent getting the figures they expect to see.

At this point, the CP code is such a tangled mess that it might be best to scrap the entire current system and maybe trim it back very heavily so its just 3 trees in total, giving the servers a lot less to deal with.

This is also the leading cause behind scrapping CP in PvP altogether.

I also suspect some of the lag has been caused by them producing much higher quality models and far more proc sets, so the sets themselves are causing many more problems.

I personally believe we should -

1) Trim down the number of dropped sets to around 15 in total.

2) Redesign the CP tree so there is just ONE tree of each color containing optimisation stars.

3) Look at ways of offloading calculations to clients. Maybe a rejig of client/server architecture to make it so small group instances are Peer-to-peer, but the openworld is still client to Megaserver?

4) Scrap CP in PvP altogether.

That would make the game much more dumbed down and with less options. We don't want that. As the no-CP in cyrodiil didn't change a lot. They said so in one of the ESO Lives.

More optimisation is needed in the code etc, not changes to the options for players. At least I want to play an intersting game where I can see thousands of players, not have instanced cases and only 10 sets to choose from.
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, fun fact, OP is the same guy who started the "non-binary" post. A great laugh, I'll give it that, but still bait.

Why is it a "great laugh" because I inquired about the possibility for additional character creation options for those who like to model their characters after themselves, and perhaps don't identify as either of the two binary gender options available in the game?

Read the post from that thread again. In no way is it trying to be funny. I even put information into my post in that thread that shows that I understand why additional options beyond the two listed might not be an option (lore, excessive work to implement, dialogue, etc).

Both that thread and this thread are asking questions. 1) If options beyond the two binary genders would be considered and 2) Why ESO is more laggy than some other games I play. Did you not read the first post of this thread? It clearly states that I'm not knowledgeable about the topic - hence the question.

Oh the question to the first thread wasn't funny at all. It was trying to make a problem out of a nonissue (the responses were funny though). A very unrealistic problem too. Unless they're wearing a badge saying they're non-binary then no one will know that they are non-binary nor will they care. Not because people are transphobic or hateful but because there's little to no logic to trying to justify ignoring science and biology all because someone claims to identify as something outside the gender binary and thinks it makes them transgender. (FYI you can't transition to nothing. If non binary people knew what trans really meant they'd understand why very few people side with them.)

As for supposedly not reading the question for this one you clearly didn't read it yourself otherwise you wouldn't have made the comparison between an MMO like ESO and a non-MMO like Halo. As someone who once played Halo I can tell you from experience that they're different. If you had common sense you'd compare ESO's lag to that of a similar game that also fits the same genre like WoW or Final Fantasy, not the first couple of FPS titles that popped into your head.
    Edited by The_Smilemeister on June 30, 2017 7:20PM
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GrumpyDuckling Anyway dude, if you can explain to me why you'd think that ZOS would ever consider trying to implement these genders (not a complete list BTW) into the game without spending more time and money than it's worth then I'd like to hear it.

https://m.imgur.com/5uj7jzn
    Edited by The_Smilemeister on June 30, 2017 7:25PM
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At a guess, started with Hero engine, modified the rendering piece very well but botched the client/server netcode.

The users rig makes a big difference. ESO is a very single thread, CPU intensive game. They made an effort to offload some of the work to the graphics card and multi-thread, but you really have to rewrite the code from the base up.
    They aren't going to do that.

At most, they will take the lessons they learned and apply them next time. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one either, their initial devs had tons of game design experience and yet admittedly implemented a system they did not consider could be used for animation cancelling. Years later that still boggles my mind.

• GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh the question to the first thread wasn't funny at all. It was trying to make a problem out of a nonissue (the responses were funny though). A very unrealistic problem too. Unless they're wearing a badge saying they're non-binary then no one will know that they are non-binary nor will they care. Not because people are transphobic or hateful but because there's little to no logic to trying to justify ignoring science and biology all because someone claims to identify as something outside the gender binary and thinks it makes them transgender. (FYI you can't transition to nothing. If non binary people knew what trans really meant they'd understand why very few people side with them.)

As for supposedly not reading the question for this one you clearly didn't read it yourself otherwise you wouldn't have made the comparison between an MMO like ESO and a non-MMO like Halo. As someone who once played Halo I can tell you from experience that they're different. If you had common sense you'd compare ESO's lag to that of a similar game that also fits the same genre like WoW or Final Fantasy, not the first couple of FPS titles that popped into your head.

Your first paragraph contains inaccurate information and does not talk about the game, therefore I will not respond to that, specifically. Please keep your posts about the game, per forum rules.

In response to your second paragraph. Again, read the first post of the thread. I specially say, "I'm not knowledgeable about servers, maintenance, or whatever it is that causes and/or prevents lag from happening on ZOS' side of things." Do servers in ESO operate differently than in Destiny? I don't know, SO I ASKED.

I'm sorry that in your mind, my asking a question means I don't have common sense - but I do have enough common sense to only list the games I play, not just "FPS titles that popped into [my] head." It's obvious that you're not even reading my posts and instead prefer to attack me, so again I'm going to ask that you only post about the game, and leave both me and your personal opinions about gender out of your posts - thank you.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    Because none of those other games are MMOs. Great bait post.

What does being an MMO have to do with it during single player instances (ex: VMA) where no other players are involved?

Even if no other people are involved the game has t o check with the server very often to report the state of your character/bosses/abilities etc

So does that mean ESO servers operate differently than servers for a game like Destiny - where we can still meet up in an open-world area?
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    Because none of those other games are MMOs. Great bait post.

What does being an MMO have to do with it during single player instances (ex: VMA) where no other players are involved?

Even if no other people are involved the game has t o check with the server very often to report the state of your character/bosses/abilities etc

So does that mean ESO servers operate differently than servers for a game like Destiny - where we can still meet up in an open-world area?

Yes it does.

The server/client architecture that ESO uses offloads the greater majority of the work to the server. I have never played destiny, so I have no clue about its architecture, but a lot of games these days use a combination of Peer-to-Peer and server instancing.

With ESO, its uses a megaserver (read:clustered) architecture with everyone loading into large instances entirely on the server. All calculations are done by the server as well.

The ESO client does very little in fact apart from drawing your player and the world around it.

I personally believe that ZOS need to review the client/server load and put more of it back client side. They could even consider making it a hybrid architecture so stuff such as BG's, Dungeons, and Trials are done Peer-to-peer, with the host being the person with the lowest ping.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • gootdude
    gootdude
    ✭✭✭
    ESO at a technical level is a very poorly written game, end of story.