Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

For people reluctant to do Cyrodil

• Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    mystfit wrote: »
    I am not a PVP'er. I am not well geared, don't group often and panic easily, however, I wanted to get to Cyrodiil to experience the shards, quests and achievements. So, I felt I needed to give it a try. I thought I'd being up a few things to maybe make you willing to stick your nose in it if it's been on your mind.
    1. Two tasty skill points can be yours within 5 minutes of arrival for doing nothing but running around the safe area and never leaving that spot!
    2. Some nice skills open up. Rapid maneuvers is like a massive speed burst for running around that again is available under the alliance war section of your skills without ever leaving the safe spot!
    3. Skyshards are a plenty but 4 specifically are a bit more challenging to do. They are located behind gates that can only be opened by 'capturing' a temple deep in enemy territory and will require a group. You also need the group to get through the gate as it's heavily manned by NPC's. Once through the gate, head directly to the skyshard. I joined alot of groups (it's like the anchor groups, someone will toss out the letters you need to type to be auto invited into the group. Eventually after several groups, I got into one that decided to do the enemy shards and I got that accomplished! If you group, stay with the crown. He determines where you go and what you do. Splitting up and going in 3 different directions rarely ends well.
    4. There are fun aspects to pvp, if you ever played Stronghold back in the day, you get to catapult meat across enemy lines, tip over flaming cauldron's of oil, ram the gate walls. It's kinda fun! (Here' comes Bessie!)
    5. If you aren't geared and skilled up, you're gonna die. Esp depending on which campaign you pick. If I was in a group, I did the best I could and tried to stay close to my team mates. But, mostly I decided to just roll with what happened and not get upset if I died. I revived and trudged back many times. (remember get the rapid maneuvers) I went into it with an oh well attitude. If I was by myself doing delves or quests, I just let them kill me rather then fighting back. Sometimes you can even run into an enemy in a delve who is also hunting shards and they may or may not kill you :) I try to stay away, put away my pets (cause they'll go after them) or sit down to look less like a threat and hope they won't come after me. Last night the guy at least waited until after I got the shard and boss (we actually fought the boss together) before turning around half way to the entrance and killing me. I was hurt, I thought we were buddies at that point, but such is war ;)
    I am close to being finished with shards and delves and have completed many, but not all of the quests. At this point even when done I think I will still peek in and play as it is kinda fun!

Go on now, those shards are waiting for you!!

This exactly describes how I currently feel about Cyrodil. I desperately want to play it and understand everything, but my gear is not good enough and my knowledge lacks in the ability department. I find that I can't compete with anyone when I get into a 1v1. Even in battlegrounds, I get flattened. Right now I am trying to focus on crafting better armor and getting better weapons to see if that helps. There is always so much to learn with this game.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually spend my first day on a char going to Cyrodiil in the least populated campaign. In the case of EU-PC this is Almalexia, where alliances have 1-2 lines at most. I just go around, clear the delves, discover the landmarks, do the dolmens and to 4/5 settlement quests - can't do all 5 because of repeatable quest/day being restricted to 45. If I'm lucky I might get some of the shards from behind the other alliance base gates. That takes 14-16 hours in total. What's left I do the next day. When I've cleared all the map I just abandon that campaign and go to a more populated one to do real PvP. Imperial City is more ore less the same story, though I go on the CP campaign early in the morning and have the sewers and the districts cleared by the time other players start arriving, around noon. That takes me 5-6 hours in total. I do the PvE content separately because I don't really like to run away from a large battle where I can gain many AP to grab that odd shard and such, unless I'm in the group going past the gate to grab the scrolls, which is your best bet for that shard anyway.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dying in PvP is practically free since if you die to other players your gear will not get damaged at all, and if you are wearing impenetrable (which you should if you are going in PvP) and dying to mobs the damage will be reduced as well. If going on a populated campaign never go solo since it's basically guaranteed you'll get killed quite fast. Even if you are in a group don't stray to far, don't get kited and get pulled into obvious traps. If a player runs from you don't follow since he's most likely biting you into a group of gankers.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    @Asardes Thank you for the impenetrable insight. When I create my armor for PvP I will keep this in mind.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idylliqe wrote: »
    I am not a PVP'er. I am not well geared, don't group often and panic easily, however, I wanted to get to Cyrodiil to experience the shards, quests and achievements. So, I felt I needed to give it a try. I thought I'd being up a few things to maybe make you willing to stick your nose in it if it's been on your mind.
    1. Two tasty skill points can be yours within 5 minutes of arrival for doing nothing but running around the safe area and never leaving that spot!
    2. Some nice skills open up. Rapid maneuvers is like a massive speed burst for running around that again is available under the alliance war section of your skills without ever leaving the safe spot!
    3. Skyshards are a plenty but 4 specifically are a bit more challenging to do. They are located behind gates that can only be opened by 'capturing' a temple deep in enemy territory and will require a group. You also need the group to get through the gate as it's heavily manned by NPC's. Once through the gate, head directly to the skyshard. I joined alot of groups (it's like the anchor groups, someone will toss out the letters you need to type to be auto invited into the group. Eventually after several groups, I got into one that decided to do the enemy shards and I got that accomplished! If you group, stay with the crown. He determines where you go and what you do. Splitting up and going in 3 different directions rarely ends well.
    4. There are fun aspects to pvp, if you ever played Stronghold back in the day, you get to catapult meat across enemy lines, tip over flaming cauldron's of oil, ram the gate walls. It's kinda fun! (Here' comes Bessie!)
    5. If you aren't geared and skilled up, you're gonna die. Esp depending on which campaign you pick. If I was in a group, I did the best I could and tried to stay close to my team mates. But, mostly I decided to just roll with what happened and not get upset if I died. I revived and trudged back many times. (remember get the rapid maneuvers) I went into it with an oh well attitude. If I was by myself doing delves or quests, I just let them kill me rather then fighting back. Sometimes you can even run into an enemy in a delve who is also hunting shards and they may or may not kill you :) I try to stay away, put away my pets (cause they'll go after them) or sit down to look less like a threat and hope they won't come after me. Last night the guy at least waited until after I got the shard and boss (we actually fought the boss together) before turning around half way to the entrance and killing me. I was hurt, I thought we were buddies at that point, but such is war ;)
    I am close to being finished with shards and delves and have completed many, but not all of the quests. At this point even when done I think I will still peek in and play as it is kinda fun!

This exactly describes how I currently feel about Cyrodil. I desperately want to play it and understand everything, but my gear is not good enough and my knowledge lacks in the ability department. I find that I can't compete with anyone when I get into a 1v1. Even in battlegrounds, I get flattened. Right now I am trying to focus on crafting better armor and getting better weapons to see if that helps. There is always so much to learn with this game.

It might be helpful to find and join a guild that does PvP in your faction. I don't have the first clue about your platform, but on PC at least there are lots of guilds that do both PvE and PvP - those are more likely to be beginner-friendly than PvP only guilds, though ymmv. Hanging out with people who like to PvP means access to all the information the game should but doesn't provide, plus people to duel for practice, build advice, gear advice, crafters.

Just something to consider. More people enjoying PvP and feeling competent and confident is always better - somebody is going to be happy to help you out.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    ofSunhold wrote: »
    Idylliqe wrote: »

It might be helpful to find and join a guild that does PvP in your faction. I don't have the first clue about your platform, but on PC at least there are lots of guilds that do both PvE and PvP - those are more likely to be beginner-friendly than PvP only guilds, though ymmv. Hanging out with people who like to PvP means access to all the information the game should but doesn't provide, plus people to duel for practice, build advice, gear advice, crafters.

Just something to consider. More people enjoying PvP and feeling competent and confident is always better - somebody is going to be happy to help you out.

Thank you! My current guild does it but I am always playing PvE so its really all my fault. I just hate not being able to put up a fight and actually kill someone on my own. I just need to put in more effort. When I finish the Morrowind storyline I will.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade