Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Vampire spawns

aaron_campion
aaron_campion
✭✭✭
I cant never find the vampires at night to get bite. Could someone tell me where they are. Ive been looking for hours
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to use maps like this:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/68796/vampire-werewolf-spawn-locations

But then some made the Destinations add-on which places things like spawn sites on your in-game map: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info667-Destinations.html
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Ryelis
    Ryelis
    ✭✭
    Additional question: There are some sources, dated like a year out, that said that vamps and werewolves only spawned during certain in-game moon phases. I haven't seen this mentioned on several vampire guides.

Is this still a thing?
    PC - NA
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryelis wrote: »
    Additional question: There are some sources, dated like a year out, that said that vamps and werewolves only spawned during certain in-game moon phases. I haven't seen this mentioned on several vampire guides.

Is this still a thing?

I haven't seen otherwise. They share locations with the werewolf spawns, so they pretty much have to alternate, at least. Worse, there are players who camp the spawn locations and kill them once they've gotten their own bite.

It really is easier to get the bite from another player, at this point in the game's life. Ask your friends, guild, or general chat if anyone's got a bite free. Some vamps will hang around the shrines and give away bites, just because they can. Don't pay for it; plenty of players are willing to give their bites for free.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this still a thing?

Sort of, kinda, not completely.

Back at launch there were players who would camp the spawns and obliterate them, in an effort to corner the bite market. (Seriously, back at launch, a bite could pull down up to 50k.) As a result, ZOS randomized the spawns slightly. They seem to weight toward the new moon (for vampires) and the full moon (for werewolves), but they can spawn on any night now.

Last time I intentionally looked for a bite, they did seem to still have their original intentional spawn patterns (so on the new moon you get Vampires at midnight, and on the full moon you get Werewolves), but they can also pop up on other days without warning.

Thing is, the game has a full 28 day lunar cycle, which chews up, roughly, one ingame week. So, one of them spawns on the weekend, one spawns midweek. I don't remember which is which, sorry.

Something that will help. The lunar phases do not affect moonrise and moonfall in ESO (those are always dusk and dawn), so you can use your compass to tell the time by comparing it to the moon's location. When the larger moon passes the meridian, it's midnight. At that point you have until dawn (about 90 minutes) to get bitten or the spawns will disappear.
    Edited by starkerealm on June 10, 2017 4:05PM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really is easier to get the bite from another player, at this point in the game's life. Ask your friends, guild, or general chat if anyone's got a bite free. Some vamps will hang around the shrines and give away bites, just because they can. Don't pay for it; plenty of players are willing to give their bites for free.

Yup, werewolf and vamp shrines are in final zones of each Alliance (Bangkorai, The Rift, Reaper's March). Players sometimes hang out there passing out bites.

Edited by tinythinker on June 10, 2017 4:25PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Is this still a thing?
    It is. Best bet is to zip over to the Bankorai shrine and head up towards the cemetary area around the corner when you see it's dark on any character. With a 6 hour day and 2 hour night, you'll eventually grab it. If you find them, just run up and get thumped on a few times, check your character sheet for the gift, and depart until they reset.

You can quickly log onto other characters and repeat, just don't kill the spawns for the next guy. (If you don't yet have the wayshrine unlocked, you can generally find a friend of guild member (check the roster by location) for someone in Bankorai, and odds are they'll be at that shrine. Plus, I believe the first time you port into a new zone at any wayshrine, it also unlocks the 'primary' wayshrine as well, which is the one you want.

The other option is just to request a free bit in zone chat. Often people will oblige. No need to pay, ever.

EDIT: This is for vamp, obviously. For those wolf types, I believe their spot was NE across the river area, but same spawn check applies. *If you don't play that character as often, you can simply log out while in that area for an even easier check when it becomes dark later ;)

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on June 10, 2017 4:27PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The Destinations add-on is really good for showing spawn location. Players will usually announce when they appear in chat. Even if other players kill them they will constantly respawn during the night and all you need is a bite from them to get infected. If you buy the vamp one in the store you won't be able to do the quest and the quest is worth doing, imo.

I have three vamps and I do free bites when they are able. Getting free bites from players is usually the easiest way.