The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Linking Morrowind to a steam account

aapz
aapz
Soul Shriven
- I have a ESO copy NOT bought on Steam.
- I read on the KB that you can only link your ESO account to Steam if you bought the copy of ESO on Steam.
- You can link your existing ESO account to Steam if you buy a copy of the game on Steam and then at the login choose: "login with an existing account" and then login with your existing account.
After this, your original account becomes coupled with Steam.

So now we add Morrowind in the mix.
- I read on Steam that you need the original game to play Morrowind.

Question:
Can I assume that if I buy Morrowind on Steam and launch the game, i can choose "login with an existing account" (just like the normal ESO), and then login with my original account, which has a official (non-Steam) copy tied to it.
Would this:
1. Activate the game on Steam (as in, would it recognize that i have the original game)?
2. Tie my existing ESO account to Steam?

Hopefully it's clear what I am asking here. It's a bit of a technicality, but it matters a lot. I don't want any non Steam games anymore, but i am not gonna rebuy the original to be able to play Morrowing.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• aapz
    aapz
    Soul Shriven
    Today i got my answer from support:
    You will not be able to link your account through steam. you must own the base game through steam if you plan to purchase Morrowind. If you do not, you can either buy the digital version through our website, or a physical copy of the game

If you have any other issues please don't hesitate to let us know

Warm Regards,
    Breylin
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team
    I also made up my mind and am not gonna be forced to rebuy a game I alrdy own and I am not gonna buy anything outside of Steam ever again (I have my reasons). So for now my journey ends here :neutral: Even though I had a feeling this would not work, i am still disappointed cause I would have loved to play Morrowind. But meh, enough other cool stuff coming out every month :)
    Answer ✓
  • Yubarius
    Yubarius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went through a somewhat similar issue when linking my steam account. Basically I bought the game at launch in a store and i wanted to link my account to steam but in order to do so, you must buy a version from steam, then after it downloads you can sign in with your existing account. From there you can purchase Morrowind from steam under your steam account and it will apply to your already existing ESO account that is linked to your steam account. (I think i'm right but if im not, could someone please say so?)
    • Yubarius - Magicka NB - Flawless Conqueror
    • YubariusX - Magicka Warden - Flawless Conqueror
    • Lord Yubarius - Stamina Sorc - Stormproof - Centurion
    • 'Rubick the Grand Magus - Magicka Sorc
    • Fair Child Tank - Stamina DK
    • Jaruko - Magicka Templar
    • Selthyn Bavailo - Mag DK
    • Bandit-The-Great - Stam Temp

• aapz
    aapz
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for your response, but this is not really an answer to my quesiton. The way you describe, I mentioned as well and I am pretty sure this will work. That is not the question though :smile:
  • aapz
    aapz
    Soul Shriven
    Does anyone know if this problem is still a thing or did they change their policy towards this? I am considering buying the expansion and hoping to draw some friends back in, but only if I can buy the expansion through Steam and not having to re-buy a game I already own.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you insist on buying ESO through Steam? You only ask for troubles. There are dozens of topics like this: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/447944/let-steam-players-login-without-steam-let-steam-players-go
    Stick to the original ESO launcher and don't buy anything ESO-related on Steam. Seriously. I linked 99% of my single player games to Steam, but will never do it with any MMO.
    Edited by Streega on December 16, 2018 12:00PM
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • aapz
    aapz
    Soul Shriven
    Well, I have my reasons. Mostly that I like having it all centralized and able to download/launch the game on any machine.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a dollar for every time Steam has screwed-up an MMO patch, causing a complete reinstallation...I'd be able to buy you a copy of ESO on Steam. And a couple to gift to your friends.

I can appreciate you having your reasons but I highly recommend "letting this one go" and don't let this prevent you from enjoying ESO.

I do the exact opposite: any MMO I've ever purchased on a Steam Sale I download the stand-alone client.

I also game on 4 different machines in my house, depending on which room I'm in, and it makes for easier patching as I seed everything through my network.

To each his own.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • aapz
    aapz
    Soul Shriven
    hmmm, yeah I am starting to think I have to let this go indeed. I have no problems with patches on other steam games, but I guess rebelling here won't help me... I just feel it's unfair.

Ah well, loads of other games around. I'll be fine.