The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Let Steam players login without Steam. Let Steam Players Go!

Malem_Benign
Malem_Benign
✭✭✭
Recent "events" showed again the problems with login for Steam players.
I don't want to argue about the responsibility or causes.

Actually there is and always been the side-solution for that problem - login without Steam using original launcher. But you have to buy the game again for that.

In that case there are several conclusions I have:

1. It is obvious why non-Steam players technically can't use Steam version, but not in reverse.
2. Why people that already bought your game should buy it twice to just login without Steam?
3. You showed multiple times that you can't guarantee the stability of login procedure for Steam players.
4. All this brings a lot of unnecessary frustration, annoyance and exasperation.

In that case, please solve this awkward situation and let Steam players the ability to launch the game without Steam as all other titles did.

Let Steam Players Go!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I sympathise, I do think it's obvious why Steam users can't play without using Steam. It's highly likely that it's a contractual restriction between ZOS and Steam. There was a temporary exemption for established ESO account holders up to December 2016, then the restriction came into force.

By all means look to ZOS for an explanation both of the requirement to login through Steam and the nature of the login problems that have bedeviled Steam users for a while now. It's clearly an issue with the login server and Steam given that there is no different game version, it's just the way Steam users access it that is different. I do think ZOS and/or Steam owe their customers an explanation now.
  • OFFL1MIT
    OFFL1MIT
    ✭✭✭
    Steam take a cut from a sale, when you buy eso. So STEAM has to offer some support to eso, but they dont care they redirect to ESO support. I think this problem is part of steam problem too. Steam using steamID to let you play eso, if server is updated, steam servers has to be updated too. This is my speculation, Im not saying im right, but this is done not on purpose for you to buy another copy of eso. It's not just Eso, but others mmos suffering from this. Not often, but it does happen.
  • Malem_Benign
    Malem_Benign
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, guys. I don't want to argue about the causes or responsibilities.
    I want official statement.

ALL other titles bought from Steam are playable without Steam. Just keep it in mind.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, guys. I don't want to argue about the causes or responsibilities.
    I want official statement.

ALL other titles bought from Steam are playable without Steam. Just keep it in mind.

Since when are ALL titles from Steam playable without Steam?

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1700541698706567632/

Notice the last post from the moderator.

And https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/2592234299542311154/

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can play without steam, just use the .exe in your ESO folder. You can still patch it with the Steam launcher without needing to login. Patch it, use the .exe afterwards.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    You can play without steam, just use the .exe in your ESO folder. You can still patch it with the Steam launcher without needing to login. Patch it, use the .exe afterwards.

Although I don't use Steam and can't test it therefore, my understanding is that you can only do that if your ESO account was linked to Steam before December 2016.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everquest allows you to use the EQ launcher to login there is no "steam verify" for it. Steam just launches the launcher. Wish that was the way it was handled.
    Edited by karekiz on December 2, 2018 4:17PM
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be the correct course of action for ZOS to take if they actually cared and weren't trying to scam customers into buying multiple copies of the game.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Let those with Steam unlink their ESO accounts and use the Launcher as those that purchased the game directly from ZOS do.
  • Malem_Benign
    Malem_Benign
    ✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »

Yes, that's what I'm talking about - you technically can, but you should buy ESO from local store again so your login and password will let you in this way.
  • FluffyKitten
    FluffyKitten
    ✭✭✭
    The silence from ZOS speaks high and clear how they handle their customers.
  • Malem_Benign
    Malem_Benign
    ✭✭✭
    The silence from ZOS speaks high and clear how they handle their customers.

Hope it's just about holidays.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • stojekarcub18_ESO
    stojekarcub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been saying since the late 90's...DON'T USE STEAM....
  • Malem_Benign
    Malem_Benign
    ✭✭✭

Have you read the topic? There is no technical problem to just let Steam players that already bought the game the access via regular launcher. FOR FREE.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I bought the base game and have to wait until my plus liscence expire before I can download Bethesda’s launcher (unless I did something wrong). Geeze just let me go. I like Steam. I’ve never had any issues before with Steam. This issue keeps popping up. There’s ancient threads here about it. I bought the base game again from Bethesda. Just unlink my account. Geeze. I WANT to play the game. I’m getting to the point of NOT wanting to play. :(

Have you read the topic? There is no technical problem to just let Steam players that already bought the game the access via regular launcher. FOR FREE.

Gotta wait 6 days for my Plus sub liscence to expire. Ugh. But hopefully there won’t be any Steam issues for the next week lmao.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on December 2, 2018 8:48PM
  • Malem_Benign
    Malem_Benign
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the base game and have to wait until my plus liscence expire before I can download Bethesda’s launcher (unless I did something wrong). Geeze just let me go. I like Steam. I’ve never had any issues before with Steam. This issue keeps popping up. There’s ancient threads here about it. I bought the base game again from Bethesda. Just unlink my account. Geeze. I WANT to play the game. I’m getting to the point of NOT wanting to play. :(

Actually you already can do this, regular launcher is inside the game's directory. You can start it. You just can't login, because you haven't payed for the game twice yet :smile:
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Actually you already can do this, regular launcher is inside the game's directory. You can start it. You just can't login, because you haven't payed for the game twice yet :smile:

Maybe I’m doing it wrong. I bought the base game from Bethesda (not a 3rd party ugh) and don’t have the download button for Bethesda launcher. I try using the exe from a snide the game files and it tells me to login through steam. It’s crap.
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have steam but it’s better to open through launcher. Why have a program running in background?
  • Malem_Benign
    Malem_Benign
    ✭✭✭

Maybe I’m doing it wrong. I bought the base game from Bethesda (not a 3rd party ugh) and don’t have the download button for Bethesda launcher. I try using the exe from a snide the game files and it tells me to login through steam. It’s crap.

/steamapps/common/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/game/client/eso64.exe
  • Malem_Benign
    Malem_Benign
    ✭✭✭
    Some official reply will be very appreciated here...
  • Leocaran
    Leocaran
    ✭✭✭
    Some official reply will be very appreciated here...
    I assume you need to tag them for that.
    Even though I suspect they still wouldn't answer. I'm not sure their idea of improving communications includes answering meaningful questions.
  • DLM
    DLM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record, there are games out that allow to use their launcher without going through Steam first. I am thinking of one in my library, Elite: Dangerous that can be used either through Steam or launched directly from the launcher.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have little sympathy for anyone who bought an MMO type game through Steam. Any game that requires frequent updating for that matter. All you have to do is just a smidgeon of basic research to see the problems people have with Steam. I probably have accumulated over 100 games on Steam. I know which ones are OK through that service and which to avoid. Yes, I learned the hard way too when I could no play a stand alone game like Civilization without an active Internet connection. This is an issue that is on the buyer and Steam. Suck it up and buy a real PC version of ESO. Yeah, some pain but a valuable lesson learned.
  • Leocaran
    Leocaran
    ✭✭✭
    theyancey wrote: »
    I have little sympathy for anyone who bought an MMO type game through Steam.
    That's on you only. Tells us something about you.
    Any game that requires frequent updating for that matter. All you have to do is just a smidgeon of basic research to see the problems people have with Steam.
    Who are you telling this to? To people who don't use steam? I have no problems with steam. For a long time. Well, almost, only small ones like mediocre-bad browser in general and especially during sales. Other small things sometimes but nothing on the scale you assert here.
    I learned the hard way too when I could no play a stand alone game like Civilization without an active Internet connection. This is an issue that is on the buyer and Steam.
    Why are you blaming steam for that? That's most probably publisher's/developer's idea. They just love that. Steam definitely doesn't demand such things which is proven by thousands of other games.
    I just really don't understand rampart hatred for steam here on the forum. Steam isn't perfect at all, but mostly acceptable. Which rarely could be said about ZOS lately.
    Edited by Leocaran on December 3, 2018 2:02PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never understood why anyone bought this game though Steam. I like Steam when it benefits a game, but this game gains nothing from being Steamified.

In any event, the time has long past the point where they need to have this game saddled with Steam verification.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• wolf486
    wolf486
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Never understood why anyone bought this game though Steam. I like Steam when it benefits a game, but this game gains nothing from being Steamified.

In any event, the time has long past the point where they need to have this game saddled with Steam verification.

I bought it on Steam simply 'cos I knew little about the game. It was on sale, picked it up and ended up loving the game. 800+ hours on Steam. Also many people just stick with Steam for PC gaming and don't realize you can even buy it from ESO's website.

Since ESO had the base game on sale recently, I re-purchased it so I can rid myself of Steam.
    PC/NA
    Moved onto BDO and GW2 Skyrim, ATS/ETS2, ACNH and the overall goodness of single player games

RIP to the following:
    (DC) Tharbûrz gro-Glumgrog - Orsimer -Stamden (lvl 50)
    (AD) Vukz - Bosmer - Stamblade (lvl 50)
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The standard approach to any game - especially one that is frequently updated - should be only to run it through a third party intermediary if there is no alternative. It's not just Steam, how many times do we see banner announcements about service problems on console?

I still believe, however, that it's time for an official statement on the cause of frequent login issues for Steam users and what is being done about it - @ZOS_GinaBruno ?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolf486 wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »

I bought it on Steam simply 'cos I knew little about the game. It was on sale, picked it up and ended up loving the game. 800+ hours on Steam. Also many people just stick with Steam for PC gaming and don't realize you can even buy it from ESO's website.

Since ESO had the base game on sale recently, I re-purchased it so I can rid myself of Steam.

I am referring mostly to the folks who so badly wanted this game on Steam in the 3 or so months before it released on that portal.

I can see people would buy it now on Steam, I myself have a huge library of titles bought during one sale or the other.

However, my rule of thumb is, if the game has an existing login portal that is native to the game, then buy the original
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• HelixUnited
    HelixUnited
    ✭✭✭

I had that issue if you got to the support tab in the eso store Web page, select something like where's my item, then it's something like I bought the game but didn't get a download option, you will know it when you see it but it has a link on that which will download the game,
    I to got fed up with steam and got the base game from eso store on black Friday deals