Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Is crafting even worth the work?

• Malorey45738
    Malorey45738
    ✭✭✭
    I find it fun and satisfying to craft my own sets, but that's just a personal thing. If it's not fun for you then I wouldn't bother.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only if you wanna do daily crafting writs, otherwise it's a worthless waste of time.
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally like to craft. But there are a lot of fine drops. I used to save everything for the traits but I gave that up. If I have the slot open, I'll learn them. If not, I deconstruct everything. It just takes so long to be holding on to so much stuff. Really I think its about 50/50 on being worth it. If you like crafting then you can make good gear. If you don't, you can find good gear. It would be nice if crafting was above drops since you have to invest time and skill points. I suppose you can consider those thrown away points. If you have them, use them. If you need them elsewhere, don't put them in crafting. You'll do much better overall ignoring crafting if skill points are an issue.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Right now...no it's not. Eventually it might be.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    gareee wrote: »
    We don't even know if we want to play with more than one character. We joined a guild, but they wanted 10,000 gold a week.. we are lucky if we make that much gold in a week as it is... LOL! (So we of course left that guild.)

I figured by now we would meet other players in game to show us the ropes, but without joining a guild that uses discord, in game communication is kind of limited.

If you're on NA/PC, and would be interested, I know a good guild for new players; no one minds questions, lots of helpful people, crafters who help with research and gear, and no dues/payments required. Also seems to get a trader on a regular basis. Send a pm if you want an invitation.

• NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I asked myself, do I want to wait for this guy to sign on so I can have food & potions to go to Cyrodiil or that dungeon?

Self sufficiency is rewarding in multiple ways.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is definitely worth it if you like it as an aspect of the game to explore and get good at, otherwise marginal.

If you can see yourself playing the game for a year or more, then get into crafting early; otherwise, just focus on getting to at least CP160 as soon as possible, join some big guilds, and ask others to craft stuff for you - there are LOTS of master crafters around in game. It is perfectly possible to play the game without doing any crafting.

The main benefits of levelling up your crafting skills are:
    1. you can improve armor and weapons (to blue or purple etc.) with fewer tempers. (The alternative is to ask a guild mate or buddy to do it for you). This can be huge when you want to get your CP160 set items up to legendary (gold) - it can cost 40k or more per item to take metal items up to gold, and much much more than that if you don't have the crafting passives maxed.
    2. it is a LOT quicker and easier to craft set items than it is to farm sets that drop ingame. So, as soon as you think your low level gear should be replaced, or when you get to CP160, you can craft yourself a full set of something, and THEN go out and farm any other sets that you want to try out.
    3. Being able to craft your own food, potions and enchantments etc. is a lot cheaper in the long run than paying for others to make them for you.
    4. You find more top level mats, and get more top level tempers from refining (and crafting writs if you have the time), if you have skill points in the appropriate passives. You can also get a few more mats from daily hirelings (marginal value).

Note that it is REALLY VERY HELPFUL to be subscribed (to get Crafting bags) if you want to do crafting, as yes, the materials take up a huge amount of bag and bank space otherwise. The alternative is to create a bunch of "mule" characters to store your materials, but it is a huge time sink.

Also, go back and rejoin that trading guild as soon as you get up to CP160. You should be able to make around 10k gold per hour from adventuring and selling set motifs and other loot items, so the weekly overhead for the guild trader is relatively cheap. Most other trading guilds cost a lot more to run.
  • ZOS_JohanaB
    ZOS_JohanaB
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've moved this thread to Crafting .
    Staff Post
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only Provisioner and Alchemy are of any use at end game anymore, with Enchanting as just a means of making enchantments to change those on found jewelry and occasionally weapons/armor.

Since the larger majority of crafted sets (not all but the majority) are very lackluster, so really you only lose out on a handful of useful sets that ultimately can be replaced with dropped sets. They can be good filler sets until then but that's all they chalk up to, filler.

Honestly, better off farming decent sets than spending the literal year learning to craft your own gear.

If you're a stamina character, go to Bangkorai and farm Spriggen's Thorns and/or go to Stonefalls and farm Red Mountain.

If you're a magic character, Necropotence from Rivenspire for Sorcerer (and NB if you build for that), Silks of the Sun from Stonefalls for DK, or you can even shotgun it and get Burning Spellweave from the City of Ash dungeon and have BiS gear asap.

For Tank, go to Deshaan and get Plague Doctor, or East March for Akaviri Dragonguard. Later, go to Vaults of Madness and farm Ebon.

For Healer, farm Waywest for Combat Physician and later Vaults of Madness for Worm cult.

These are all mostly starter sets but are all easily accessible and acceptable alternatives (with BSW, Ebon and Worm Cult being end game viable as well) to crafted set
    Argonian forever
  • ANGEL_BtVS
    ANGEL_BtVS
    ✭✭✭✭
    As fairly new players, what we are seeing in the game is its not a 5 minute ordeal to work on crafting... you run back and forth to the bank to swap out your inventory, and then run between several locations to break things down, or craft a few items to level up the skills. So it really ends up taking maybe an hour a day all told to collect resources, and work at several of the skills.

The feedback here on the system is great though, and I want to thank everyone for the excellent advice and answers.

Not sure what location you are using as a "home base", but Rawlka is excellent as everything is in a central, fairly small town which makes the "back and forth" very manageable. Literally everything you need is near each other: wayshrine, blacksmithing, clothing, woodworking, enchanting, alchemy, cooking fire (provisioning), bank and outlaw refuge. Oh, and there's even a horse trainer there as well.
    Edited by ANGEL_BtVS on May 4, 2017 2:07PM
  • gareee
    gareee
    We are really just calling wherever we are home. After Skyrim's excellent homes with useful storage space and mannikins, eso seems kind of like a stripped down version of it. There does't seem to be any real purpose for working toward having a home, other than having all your crafting stuff in one room. I know they are using storage as a carrot to get people to subscribe, but IMHO thats a really bad strategy, and really nerfs a huge amount of playability in the game. I'll probably never craft food or potions, because they are plentiful in loot drops, or via theft, and I simply don't have any storage space for food items. I'd say half my storage space is used up by enchantment parts!

Since we have a huge stack of unplayed aaa titles, I think we'lll use eso as a casual more elaborate "gauntlet" experience, enjoying the various quests and dungeons, and not seriously worrying about running multiple characters, or maxing everything out.

We really aren't MMO players, but we've definitely gotten our $20 out of the game with the dlc. I don't see us ever sinking money in it, or a subscription. I'd have thought by now basic things like worthwhile crafting and the campaign stuff would have been sorted out.

• FrozenSlayer
    @gareee what Platform are you on? X1/PS4/PC and also what Server NA/EU?
    Platform/Server: Xbox One/NA
    GT: Fr0z3nSl4y3r
    Daggerfall Covenant
    8+Trait Crafter/Avid Adventurer
  • gareee
    gareee
    I think at this point we are just going to play eso like a big elaborate Gauntlet game. We simply don't want to invent 100s of hours developing characters and skill's for the minimal return we'll get back from crafting.

We have other games we want to play as well, and 5 hours of eso every day just isn't in the cards for us. (I put over 200 hours into skyrum, but it feels like in that you could always craft better than you'd get in loot drops, other than a few specialty items.) We've also run through Diablo 2 and 3 as well, but eso still seems to have also lot of balance issues.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We started playing a month ago, and I'm up to level 36 or so. I've been training and deconstructing anything that looks remotely worthwhile, but I have yet to craft one single item better than items I've found.

So my question, is at some point can you craft items better than you get in loot drops? My bank and inv is chock full of crafted stuff to enchant weapons, but if I look at selling them they are only worth 5 gold each... so obviously they hold very little value.

I'm wondering at this point if I should just dump all the crafting stuff, and just go with loot drops? My wife is in the same boat, and at this point the game is feeling less like an elaborate multiplayer skyrim, and more like a big fancy Gauntlet. (Which isn't really bad.. we both love gauntlet!)

We've both skimmed crafting tutorials and watched a few videos, but there is just a TON of info to consume.

for consumables - crafting is the way to go and they are easy to level and gain achievements. they also tend to give out fairly decent numbers of small value master writs at top tier, relatively speaking. these are a no brainer IMO.

For equipment crafting, leveling them so you can improve the quality of drops makes sense from gain vs effort point of view.
    Unlocking about six traits on each, start with the best) so you can craft a number of decent to good six trait sets makes sense from gain vs effort point of view.

The rest is frankly a matter of preferences and what you like to do and enjoy. i cannot say that traits 7-9 make sense to chase anymore from a sense of gain vs effort point of view.

I have lotsa of crafters - every character maxed on consumables (not on recipes known though) and multiple maxed on equips too and frankly at this point its not all that critical beyond having some to do so.

Now, i like housing and i like master writs so thats the extra bonus that makes them worthwhile for me, but others who dont care about such may reach different conclusions.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."