The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Could someone from ZoS explain to us what is going on?

• Jamascus
    Jamascus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Below is a note from our Game Director Matt Firor on today's extended maintenance:

"Once in a while we have to do some extended work to our datacenter, and sometimes it takes longer than it should due to unintended consequences. Today’s downtime was required to upgrade parts of the datacenter in preparation for Morrowind’s launch. It took longer than we thought because we ran into a couple issues relating to network security that was preventing different parts of the network from talking to each other. It’s never fun for anyone when we have extended downtime like this, but it’s always for a good reason. We try to schedule downtime at the least populated time for the game (remembering that ESO is worldwide and downtime will always inconvenience some players, no matter when it happens). We always strive to get everything back up and running quickly and do everything we can to keep maintenance windows as short as possible."

Thank you
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try it in Australia...? I didn't get ANY ESO time last night, because though the NA server was completed on schedule, EU was not. At least most of the EU players got SOME time to play afterwards. All of the scheduled maintenance impacts Australian players, at least on the east coast.

Oh well. If nothing else, the fact that one was done before the other has put paid to a friend's theory that EU is just a virtual server. So that's something.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Below is a note from our Game Director Matt Firor on today's extended maintenance:

"Once in a while we have to do some extended work to our datacenter, and sometimes it takes longer than it should due to unintended consequences. Today’s downtime was required to upgrade parts of the datacenter in preparation for Morrowind’s launch. It took longer than we thought because we ran into a couple issues relating to network security that was preventing different parts of the network from talking to each other. It’s never fun for anyone when we have extended downtime like this, but it’s always for a good reason. We try to schedule downtime at the least populated time for the game (remembering that ESO is worldwide and downtime will always inconvenience some players, no matter when it happens). We always strive to get everything back up and running quickly and do everything we can to keep maintenance windows as short as possible."

I guess the question is.. do we expect the same for the NA data center?
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • blacksghost
    blacksghost
    ✭✭✭✭

And will Morrowind also come with extra capacity or will the current stretched thin server resources be stretched even thinner?

Everything will be alright in the end, if its not alright its not the end.
  • kuro-dono
    kuro-dono
    ✭✭✭✭
    did anyone notice? if you check tru your window you can see outside world. go and have walk, nap in the park, or go roleplay into forest.
  • AnviOfVai
    AnviOfVai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckily for me Maintenance normally happens for me when I'm at work and when I get home again the servers are back online, I work 9-5 every day in the UK. What does seem to be an issue though is how much downtime ESO has, it has had more downtime than any other online game I have played, mind you I never played WOW so before people comment about that I don't know what their maintenance was like. What I do know is that every time I log in to the forums I see that lovely yellow bar with maintenance wrote all over it.
    "I appear at my lord's behest, or perhaps I was always here, and you merely lacked the ability to see me."

PS4 - EU

AD - Pet Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - 160
    DC - Warden - Werewolf - in - progress - 160
    DC - Templar - Tank - 160
    DC - Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - in - progress
    EP - Dragon Knight -Fire Tank - 160
    EP - Nightblade - Damage Dealer - 160

• Aluiries
    Aluiries
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for this! Stuff like this happens all the time, so yeah... Keep up the good work. Been playing for a long time and will keep doing so for a long time to come!
    Roleplay Character - Caylee Vesari

'It all just disappears, doesn't it? Everything you are, gone in a moment, like breath on a mirror. Any moment now... He's a-comin'
  • Zoltar
    Zoltar
    Ok I agree, maintenance should be done, but I think U should find a better compromise! It is unacceptable a "service break" in the middle of the EU daytime... Morrowind or not...
    "I also believe is a good reason to give back, game time to ESO PLUS member "
    Recently we lost more than a couple of day! I don't like waste my money.
    I wonder what will happen to the servers from here to Morrowind launch? ...and after launch?

So, for now I have canceled my subscription
    Regards!
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zoltar wrote: »
    [snip due to whining]

You aren't entitled to anything. You agreed to the Terms of Service that stated they could take down the server at anytime for any reason. If this game were pay to play and the servers went down due to outside interference or for extended maintenance, then you could expect some level of compensation. As for doing server maintenance during the middle of the day, get over it. Surely you should be at work or school at that time anyway.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

as usual you KNEW this wasn't a normal maintenance but believed your customers didn't deserve any forewarning, nice
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I agree, maintenance should be done, but I think U should find a better compromise! It is unacceptable a "service break" in the middle of the EU daytime... Morrowind or not...
    "I also believe is a good reason to give back, game time to ESO PLUS member "
    Recently we lost more than a couple of day! I don't like waste my money.
    I wonder what will happen to the servers from here to Morrowind launch? ...and after launch?

So, for now I have canceled my subscription
    Regards!

You obviously didn't read the ToS / DA you agreed to, did you? Shame on you.

Maintenance times suck, they do. But normally the maintenances doesn't affect EU-primetime, so it's not *that* bad for us. At least we can play ESO when PvP is laggy af, hm? :hushed:
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zaldan wrote: »

as usual you KNEW this wasn't a normal maintenance but believed your customers didn't deserve any forewarning, nice

They made a thread
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/340916/datacenter-maintenance-5-2-17-4am-edt#latest
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zaldan wrote: »

How can they forewarn about network security issue. It happened as they were doing the maintenance so it took longer.
  • Insandros
    Insandros
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just curious guys, what all this thread crying is all about again, how many unplanned DAYS extended did the maintnance lasted?
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thank you so much for this @ZOS_GinaBruno - really goes a long way when you guys can take the minute to provide a more personal explanation :smile:
    helediron wrote: »
    Like scheduling EU server maintenance to EU daytime.
    Ok I agree, maintenance should be done, but I think U should find a better compromise! It is unacceptable a "service break" in the middle of the EU daytime.

Of course day time is the best time to schedule it. It was a weekday. Most of us work day time weekdays, hence the least number of people affected.
  • Zoltar
    Zoltar
    Yes guys, you're right! Maybe I have not read EULA. ... My bad. And I have no rights!

From 10am to 7pm and also from 10am to 9pm (EU time) is a perfect time!
    ...Or maybe I just fell into a thread of NA Server ppl?!

Anyway, even if it doesn't matter to anyone... I just done what is in my rights, ...stopped my subscription!

Regards!
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "A US company with a US product conducts maintenance on said product in a US time zone."
    I see nothing wrong here.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes guys, you're right! Maybe I have not read EULA. ... My bad. And I have no rights!

From 10am to 7pm and also from 10am to 9pm (EU time) is a perfect time!
    ...Or maybe I just fell into a thread of NA Server ppl?!

Anyway, even if it doesn't matter to anyone... I just done what is in my rights, ...stopped my subscription!

Regards!

Send gold and mats.... after you graduate and get a job, of course.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

"...snip...
    We try to schedule downtime at the least populated time for the game (remembering that ESO is worldwide and downtime will always inconvenience some players, no matter when it happens). We always strive to get everything back up and running quickly and do everything we can to keep maintenance windows as short as possible."

yes, but the servers are in the US, right? so it has to be during their working time
  • necronomniconb14_ESO
    Edited by necronomniconb14_ESO on May 3, 2017 4:06PM
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭

standing-ovation.gif
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • necronomniconb14_ESO
    Yeah unfortunately they probably won't say much other than unexpected issues arose.

I work for a Terminal Server company and that is basically all we tell our clients when a server is rebooted or is taken down, or something strange happens. It's all covered in the ToS.

Expect more of these longer, or unexpectedly long maintenance windows up and through the first couple weeks after Morrowind launches. They are having to change a ton of stuff on the backend and maybe even upgrading hardware/infrastructure to get ready for it.

It's just going to happen so find something else to hold your interest during this time and be patient.

I doubt the number of players would put a strain on the servers for that launch for any more than a couple or few days at the most.
    I was not aware of any issues with the server currently. Then again I haven't played for a while. Final fantasy 14 has been calling to me, and Squenix will betting my subs and expansion money from now on. Stormblood launches June 20th with early access for prepurchase. And they will not replace the game's combat mechanics with far slower versions where you basically tie a rubber band to the trigger and plug the controller into your computer while playing and paying attention to anything else parked at the dolmen or nudging the stick to follow a group every 2 or 3 minutes once you've finally cleared a group of mobs.

I admit to falling asleep a couple of times even on final fantasy 14 but I have fallen asleep all of the time on eso and usually it's while in my inventory (my meeseeks in ff14 prevent that issue) and while spending over an hour trying to find something for sale and often coming out empty-handed while I can shop and usually get what I am after on final fantasy 14 in less than a minute. In eso it takes you 2 weeks hopping at every store around your town and then next looking for a nintendo switch and coming home empty-handed. In final fantasy 14 you hop onto amazon and order one and even if you aren't happy with the price it's more than worth the time you save even with the cost of speedy shipping. Time is money.

Now that combat is as counter-intuitive and monotonous as the original morrowind there is no reason to play this junk any more. You get so many chances to attempt to rez a failure, how many have they exhausted already? Sure one tamriel brought plenty of gullible casuals to the game, along with some launch players like myself who were pleased with the scaling and content being open from the get-go. But I am curious to see how far they can go with undoing the attempts to make the game less of a drag by moving back in the other direction again while demanding more money from players while doing it. Even the biggest suckers in the world only have pockets so deep and fall for so much.

Also, they've hardly added any content to the game in the past year beside a pair of dungeons and a bunch of texture swaps (many repurposed requiring even less work). I doubt they should be having many difficulties until the dlc comes in june. I understand they don't have the brightest tools in the shed, especially their coders, but it's not like they are messing with much except on the pts for now.
    Edited by necronomniconb14_ESO on May 3, 2017 4:09PM
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kuro-dono wrote: »
    did anyone notice? if you check tru your window you can see outside world. go and have walk, nap in the park, or go roleplay into forest.

That's a new one on me. At the risk of tmi, what do you roleplay in the forest?
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

"...snip...
    We try to schedule downtime at the least populated time for the game (remembering that ESO is worldwide and downtime will always inconvenience some players, no matter when it happens). We always strive to get everything back up and running quickly and do everything we can to keep maintenance windows as short as possible."

yes, but the servers are in the US, right? so it has to be during their working time

No. EU servers are located in Frankfurt, Germany IIRC.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kuro-dono wrote: »

That's a new one on me. At the risk of tmi, what do you roleplay in the forest?

bears?