Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Could someone from ZoS explain to us what is going on?

Bam_Bam
Bam_Bam
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi ZoS. Just a polite request for an explanation as to what exactly is happening with regard to the datacentres. It's impacting many people and the lack of communication is causing people to go cray-cray. If one of your tech people could take a minute out of their day to exaplin what the issue actually is, we might not be happier but at least we'll know that you are listening and that will be awesome in lifting some of the negativity that's poisoning the forums today.

Taker easy,

Bara x
Joined January 2014
PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
Lims Kragm'a
Bam Bam Bara
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is maintenance. What more do you want.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah unfortunately they probably won't say much other than unexpected issues arose.

I work for a Terminal Server company and that is basically all we tell our clients when a server is rebooted or is taken down, or something strange happens. It's all covered in the ToS.

Expect more of these longer, or unexpectedly long maintenance windows up and through the first couple weeks after Morrowind launches. They are having to change a ton of stuff on the backend and maybe even upgrading hardware/infrastructure to get ready for it.

It's just going to happen so find something else to hold your interest during this time and be patient.
  • ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhoric wrote: »
    What more do you want.

The servers to become online.
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An explanation.
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah unfortunately they probably won't say much other than unexpected issues arose.

I work for a Terminal Server company and that is basically all we tell our clients when a server is rebooted or is taken down, or something strange happens. It's all covered in the ToS.

Expect more of these longer, or unexpectedly long maintenance windows up and through the first couple weeks after Morrowind launches. They are having to change a ton of stuff on the backend and maybe even upgrading hardware/infrastructure to get ready for it.

It's just going to happen so find something else to hold your interest during this time and be patient.

Well the first 6 seasons of Game of Thrones was released on NowTV yesterday so that's helping. I'm up to episode 7 already haha.
    As for the launch of Morrowind, I'm amazed they haven't pulled out all the stops to fix existing issues rather than "upgrading hardware/infrastructure" for the multitude that the update is going to bring.
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baranthus wrote: »

An explanation.

You already have one, "maintenance".
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is maintenance, they aren't gonna tell you what. This happens everytime the maintenance is extended. Have they ever said why in the past other than there was an issue and that is why.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Until they invent skynet, in which case we are all doomed anyway, there will always be maintinence on an mmo, they ain't gonna give you specifics cos anything they say could make it easier for their systems to be exploited. There is a dam good reason they are tight lipped about that stuff
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the top of the forums is this:

Maintenance for the week of May 1:
    • [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: European megaserver for maintenance – May 2, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT)
    • [COMPLETE] Xbox One: North American and European megaservers for maintenance – May 2, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT)
    • [COMPLETE] PlayStation®4: North American and European megaservers for maintenance – May 2, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT)

What else do you need?
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    At the top of the forums is this:

Maintenance for the week of May 1:
    • [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: European megaserver for maintenance – May 2, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT)
    • [COMPLETE] Xbox One: North American and European megaservers for maintenance – May 2, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT)
    • [COMPLETE] PlayStation®4: North American and European megaservers for maintenance – May 2, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT)

What else do you need?

*sigh* again - an explanation. not an announcement of the time of the maintenance. Just a simple explanation, which I've politely asked for.
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what their protocol for situations like this is and if they'd even be allowed to do so, but it might help the situation if a brief explanation were given regarding what the actual problem was. It wouldn't require a 1 page highly technical answer straight from the desk of a coder, but rather a very brief "we're encountering some back end issues with a provider" or something.

I'm not personally bothered by this at all, just thinking about how to perhaps cool the tensions.
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • blacksghost
    blacksghost
    ✭✭✭✭
    You with all day..effectively this makes ESO a 6/7 days per week available game, and when it does finally get back up you are still locked behind the same crap loading screens you gave up trying to get past the night before...

I have finally figured out that when they say maintenance they mean maintaining the bugs so that they remain just as flipping buggy as before..

Then to cap it all Forums insists you have found a new machine and you have to go through the entire performance of access codes... Feck sake, at least remember we were here !
    Everything will be alright in the end, if its not alright its not the end.
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did explain. Stated it was maintenance.

Do you all think ZOS is just sitting around and somebody forgot to bring up the server??

Also any explanation just invites a whole bunch of unwanted and unsolicited armchair administrator advice and opinions.
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Graydon wrote: »
    They did explain. Stated it was maintenance.

Do you all think ZOS is just sitting around and somebody forgot to bring up the server??

Also any explanation just invites a whole bunch of unwanted and unsolicited armchair administrator advice and opinions.

yeah true, hadn't thought of that.

well said though fine sir or madam
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Below is a note from our Game Director Matt Firor on today's extended maintenance:

"Once in a while we have to do some extended work to our datacenter, and sometimes it takes longer than it should due to unintended consequences. Today’s downtime was required to upgrade parts of the datacenter in preparation for Morrowind’s launch. It took longer than we thought because we ran into a couple issues relating to network security that was preventing different parts of the network from talking to each other. It’s never fun for anyone when we have extended downtime like this, but it’s always for a good reason. We try to schedule downtime at the least populated time for the game (remembering that ESO is worldwide and downtime will always inconvenience some players, no matter when it happens). We always strive to get everything back up and running quickly and do everything we can to keep maintenance windows as short as possible."

Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on May 2, 2017 7:38PM
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Below is a note from our Game Director Matt Firor on today's extended maintenance:

"...snip...
    We try to schedule downtime at the least populated time for the game (remembering that ESO is worldwide and downtime will always inconvenience some players, no matter when it happens). We always strive to get everything back up and running quickly and do everything we can to keep maintenance windows as short as possible."
    Like scheduling EU server maintenance to EU daytime.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Fuz
    Fuz
    ✭✭✭
    We try to schedule downtime at the least populated time for the game (remembering that ESO is worldwide and downtime will always inconvenience some players, no matter when it happens).

Hey, as long as you don't inconvenience NA players it's ok.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow i love the hate the EU people are giving, If you think you can do better then please lets see you try. As he mentioned no mater WHAT TIME they do maintenance it will inconvenience people. So suck it up and get over it.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark
    ✭✭✭
    Look, they actually come and give the specific type of reply requested and we still have bitter people complaining.

Is this the internet?!?!
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    Wow i love the hate the EU people are giving, If you think you can do better then please lets see you try. As he mentioned no mater WHAT TIME they do maintenance it will inconvenience people. So suck it up and get over it.

In my case I actually can do better. But that's because I design life critical systems for the aviation industry with a minimum 99.99% up time.

Next time you fly, your life is in my hands. Suck it up and get over it.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no point arguing, we lost an entire day waiting and for my part some probs still not fixed (gui crashing at crafting stations,one of them,just confirm it)
    worst thing is that we cant do anything about long maintenance times or the time where them are schedule and this is the hard truth :/
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Auldjohn
    Auldjohn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course, PTS players invaluable for their contribution to stress testing, bug checking, play testing, and feedback.
    @AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
    "Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
    YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    praglaud wrote: »

In my case I actually can do better. But that's because I design life critical systems for the aviation industry with a minimum 99.99% up time.

Damn, you're important and ***. And LOL @ equating a game to life-critical systems for the aviation industry. Get over yourself.
  • reguvin
    reguvin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well atleast, we got a Explanation xd
    - Beta Tester
    - PC (2014-2015)
    - Playstation 4 (Since 2015)

- Known for Trading & Guilds
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Once in a while we have to do some extended work to our datacenter, and sometimes it takes longer than it should due to unintended consequences. Today’s downtime was required to upgrade parts of the datacenter in preparation for Morrowind’s launch. It took longer than we thought because we ran into a couple issues relating to network security that was preventing different parts of the network from talking to each other. It’s never fun for anyone when we have extended downtime like this, but it’s always for a good reason. We try to schedule downtime at the least populated time for the game (remembering that ESO is worldwide and downtime will always inconvenience some players, no matter when it happens). We always strive to get everything back up and running quickly and do everything we can to keep maintenance windows as short as possible."

Thank you very much for the reply Gina. Much appreciated!
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Frenkthevile
    Frenkthevile
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok then :/
  • KingMagaw
    KingMagaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have a hand in Aviation electronics and electrics and respect your viewpoint. I don't tolerate incompetence yet Z0$ flaunts it every time they can.

Never excuse or settle for substandard workmanship because if others did the repercussions would be severe.
    Edited by KingMagaw on May 2, 2017 11:27PM
  • pugyourself
    pugyourself
    ✭✭✭✭

99.99% isn't so good for life critical systems. Tell me what airline so I can avoid it.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baranthus wrote: »

An explanation.

You guys want an explanation every single time theres maintenance? You do know what maintenance is right? It has to happen, and it will continue to keep happening, regardless if theres a major reason or no.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!