Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How much data is used while playing?

Da_Nutz
Da_Nutz
Might be a bit of a strange question but I sometimes travel with work and cannot connect to hotel wifi through PS4 as requires a webpage pop up for me to enter room details, so was thinking of using my 4g data on my phone.
Does anyone know roughly how much data per hour might be used while playing as would love to be playing eso instead of being bored in a hotel room?
Thx

Best Answers

• Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about per hour. One month I put over 30 gigs playing eso, idk how many hours I put into the game. Lol well that was useless information.

I would just test it out. Run the game on your 4g and see how much data it uses checking every 20 mins or so. I know Madden 17 uses about 350ishMB per game. Game last about 40 mins. So I assume ESO would be more than that depending on the activities you are doing in the game.
    Answer ✓
  • Pepper8Jack
    Pepper8Jack
    ✭✭✭
    I had to do the same thing last year.

It really depends on what youre doing and how many people are around. In PvP I quickly ate up data but I could PvE and barely see the data move.

I spent the weekend farming and questing in wrothgar/running maelstrom and maybe used a gig. Just be sure to turn off voice chat as that'll dig into your data fast.

As said above, play for a bit and see what you're data usage loops like after an hour or so on 4G and that'll give you a good approxination. Just be sure to keep an eye on it every now in then in case of any spikes.

An alternative (though I never managed to make it work) I had read about was using a laptop to connect to the hotel wifi, then enabling network sharing and connecting your ps4 via ethernet cable to your pc. I remember there being some reason why it wouldn't work for me but can't recall the specifics. But perhaps you can figure it out
    Edited by Pepper8Jack on March 17, 2017 5:21AM
    Answer ✓
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    Da_Nutz wrote: »
    Thank you both. I had heard it wasn't huge unless in pvp but was a really old post. Really good suggestions. definitely gonna try using laptop as a router. To avoid lugging PS4 with me gong to see if can take the lag of using PlayStation tv and just do simple farming. If not am happy to hear that playing via 4g is a possibility

Play on 4g is possible for sure. My 4g speeds average about 50 down 20up. Played on 4g for over 6 years started on ps3. I rarely ever had issue with it. It was perfect for me. Destiny at first when game came out would just eat data crazy, over 100 gig one month play for 3-4 hours a day. There was a big jump from ps3 data usage to ps4. I am grandfathered on the unlimited plan on Verizon so I never really payed attention on how much data I used. Just saw it at end of month.

How is connecting your laptop to your ps4 make hotel wifi better? Curious
    Answer ✓
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I burn roughly half a gig playing casually for 3ish hours (pvp). Sometimes more, sometimes less.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Answer ✓
  • Da_Nutz
    Da_Nutz
    Thank you both. I had heard it wasn't huge unless in pvp but was a really old post. Really good suggestions. definitely gonna try using laptop as a router. To avoid lugging PS4 with me gong to see if can take the lag of using PlayStation tv and just do simple farming. If not am happy to hear that playing via 4g is a possibility
  • Da_Nutz
    Da_Nutz
    Thanks again for extra contributions. I think the 4g may end up being faster than some of the wifi speeds I've experienced so to hear will be comfortably within my 5 gig data is pleasing.

As for question about connecting PS4 to laptop. Doesn't make wifi better but the problem with hotels I've stayed in recently you don't get the code for the wifi to put in and get connection. When you connect a pop up screen comes up asking for details and then you get access. this doesn't pop up when trying to connect to router via PS4 so can't connect as you don't have the code (might be a way round this I don't know if though) So if can authenticate laptop and hook PS4 up to laptop and not hotel wifi should bypass that pop up requirement. However i never imagined 4 hours 4g play will be within 500mb. So will just use mobile data unless away a lot
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah now I see, thanks for clearing up the laptop deal.
  • Da_Nutz
    Da_Nutz
    FYI for anyone interested the data used up was significantly more than I expected.
    Was surprised that game was more than playable while away in a hotel. Connected to home PS4 using PStv while in hotel room and was able to go about doing dailies and other things pretty seamlessly with a lot less lag than expected.
    However did use about 1gb data an hour and I wasn't doing doing pvp or battling things so watch the data if using 4g to play with or you could get a hefty phone bill!!
  • DPG76
    DPG76
    ✭✭✭
    Hi , been away for a long time and moved to a place where where my internet connection sucks to play ESO as such that i have spikes of lag from time to time .
    so i've tried the mobile data tether with a 4G connection and played for about 2h30 and i was surprised to see that it only consumed 50mb !
    the game ran smoothly but i only did some pve (dailies from mages guild , fighters guild and bolgrur and the writs and an additional delve) just to test my data usage
    no voice chat i have to mention
    I'm gooing to test today the daily undaunted dungeons in addition and confirm tomorrow how much i used ,saturday i'll test a few hours of pvp >

note : battlefield 1 used around 80 mb / hour (maybe a bit off topic but as an info)

• RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will use my mobile data for 1 hour in Cyrodiil and will report the result.
    Edit : 80 mb / hour in Cyrodiil without Voice chat .
    Edited by RouDeR on April 28, 2017 10:59PM