The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[PvE Build] Dragonknight Tank (Homestead)

• jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anlaemar wrote: »
    "Molten Armaments or Obsidian Shield - Either one will work. If your Dual Wield this will also grant you the Finisher (aka execute) skill that Dual Wield lacks."

What finisher are you referring too here?

Molten Armaments is basically DK's class finisher. It increases your heavy attack damage to enemies at low health.

This skill is almost not worth using... it only works with fully charged heavy attacks. (very slow... you could probably get 2 light attacks, a DoT, and another class skill used before one heavy attack goes through.
    If you want a finisher on a DK... you have to use a 2h and use the "execute" skill
    CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Anlaemar wrote: »
    "Molten Armaments or Obsidian Shield - Either one will work. If your Dual Wield this will also grant you the Finisher (aka execute) skill that Dual Wield lacks."

What finisher are you referring too here?

Molten Armaments is basically DK's class finisher. It increases your heavy attack damage to enemies at low health.

This skill is almost not worth using... it only works with fully charged heavy attacks. (very slow... you could probably get 2 light attacks, a DoT, and another class skill used before one heavy attack goes through.
    If you want a finisher on a DK... you have to use a 2h and use the "execute" skill

It's not unless you're a magicka DK weaving HA and they're hitting 20-30k+ (at least pre-2.1).
    (NA) Anlaemar with 750+ Champion Points
    Member Since April 15, 2014
    (EP)Alrik Vadason - Nord Dragonknight
    Tank
    (EP)Matdasi Hlarrobar - Breton Mageblade
    Formerly known as Ra'dar Ahdhari - Main DPS 40k Self Buffed
    (EP)Marrec Vadason - Breton Templar Healer
    (EP)Nameless - Altmer Sorcerer - Secondary DPS
    - The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason -
  • Chanman23
    Chanman23
    What is the addon for the skill presets? i saw it in the first video...
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chanman23 wrote: »

Dont see the vid, but the main 2 are Alphatools and Wykydd Outfitter, both are amazing, and deal with skill preset configs and gear.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Chanman23 wrote: »

I used Wykydd's Outfitter for a long time. I now use GearSwap (for gear) and SWAPS Continued (for skills) as they look more natural to the UI.
    Tank
  • FrickingMagic
    FrickingMagic
    Soul Shriven
    Hey Anlaemar,
    Have to say first off great guide and looking forward to trying out tanking when I hit v16. V15 currently and after looking at the posts I was wondering the best gear to start off with. I noticed you mentioned seducers for gold pledges and was wondering after your testing if it was still viable or better to run with Alessias Bulwark. Thanks any tips would be appreciated and if any help i'm an imperial dk.
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Anlaemar,
    Have to say first off great guide and looking forward to trying out tanking when I hit v16. V15 currently and after looking at the posts I was wondering the best gear to start off with. I noticed you mentioned seducers for gold pledges and was wondering after your testing if it was still viable or better to run with Alessias Bulwark. Thanks any tips would be appreciated and if any help i'm an imperial dk.

Really depends on your play style. I used chains ALOT when I tanked, so Seducers help immensely now that I no longer use drinks for regen. If you don't use chains/dark talons like a madman like I did to control the battlefield and do it in other ways, I wouldn't bother. Alessias, Hist Bark, or even Whitestrakes are good starter gear that anyone can get. A lot of tanks still use Hist Bark even endgame.
    Tank
  • AudioVortex
    AudioVortex
    ✭✭
    What really frustrates me with your videos: PC have the option to make pre-set skill set ups! Being on Xbox it's like playing in the ESO stone ages. This addition to the game would just be an incredible time saver.

Even though you've noted the build outdated but it still seems a very strong viable build.

Still working on caltrops, I now have vigor but the rate of exp just takes the biscuit.
    Vex Carlotta - Templar - Imperial - Aldmeri Dominion - VR2 - Werewolf
    Casamir Naharis - Dragon Knight (Tank) - Dunmer - Aldmeri Dominion - VR10 - Werewolf
    Razelan Azani - Nightblade - Redguard - Daggerfall Covenant - L45
    EU Dominion - Aldmeri Kings
    EU Daggerfall - Daggerfalls Elite
  • JaJaLuka
    JaJaLuka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tanking is very much about preference and style of play. I have played a tank since not long after launch and stacking damage reduction (I have hit both "hard" caps with buffs, and could do it without but find the set combo's that allow it a waste) works well enough for a lot of situations.
    Personally I have found potion builds to be far superior vs. regen (especially with the stam nerf during blocking) but they are a major waste and extremely draining on gold and when that happens, not very viable.
    My main point really is to not actually to the OP (I like his post even if I wouldn't copy his build, just not my play style), it's to the people looking for tips. Take the information, but don't copy outright because his/her(?) style of play may not work for you. I have run other people's builds before and failed because what I cast and when I choose to cast puts different strains on the build and it may not live up to the task that I require.
    Any set that works for you is a good set to use and just because someone else comes along and says it sucks doesn't mean they're right.
    I read somewhere in this post that someone was saying Alessia's Bulwark is terrible, I have used it and for a time it worked, so yes it's definitely an option, just as Spectre's Eye is an option for magic tanking (5 piece gives dodge chance on any magic skill cast, so someone casting chains a lot in mobs may benefit). I do tank top end content and am experimenting constantly, I do give advice on sets, but I always give the advice to people who are struggling to look at what's happening that causes you to fail before you fully commit to a build.
    Edited by JaJaLuka on October 27, 2015 3:54PM
    Krojick, DC Sorc PC NA
    Milámber, EP Sorc PC NA
    Brunack, EP DK PC NA
    General Mark Shephard, EP Temp PC NA (Worst temp NA XD )
    Krojick Nightblade, DC NB PC NA
    Others...
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    JaJaLuka wrote: »
    Tanking is very much about preference and style of play. I have played a tank since not long after launch and stacking damage reduction (I have hit both "hard" caps with buffs, and could do it without but find the set combo's that allow it a waste) works well enough for a lot of situations.
    Personally I have found potion builds to be far superior vs. regen (especially with the stam nerf during blocking) but they are a major waste and extremely draining on gold and when that happens, not very viable.
    My main point really is to not actually to the OP (I like his post even if I wouldn't copy his build, just not my play style), it's to the people looking for tips. Take the information, but don't copy outright because his/her(?) style of play may not work for you. I have run other people's builds before and failed because what I cast and when I choose to cast puts different strains on the build and it may not live up to the task that I require.
    Any set that works for you is a good set to use and just because someone else comes along and says it sucks doesn't mean they're right.
    I read somewhere in this post that someone was saying Alessia's Bulwark is terrible, I have used it and for a time it worked, so yes it's definitely an option, just as Spectre's Eye is an option for magic tanking (5 piece gives dodge chance on any magic skill cast, so someone casting chains a lot in mobs may benefit). I do tank top end content and am experimenting constantly, I do give advice on sets, but I always give the advice to people who are struggling to look at what's happening that causes you to fail before you fully commit to a build.

Note that this guide is outdated. Anything you see in there is defiantly not subject to the latest update. For example, Alessias was terrible before the update (at least, there was defiantly better options before). With the nerf, I feel like it balanced it out and made it more viable.
    Tank
  • Sweatyrabbit
    @Anlaemar Any chance you will update this post?
    I found it very useful and extremely well done, would love to see an updated version. :)

Thanks
    -B
    XboxOne - Sweatyrabbit86
    630CP+
    50 Redguard DK - Tank, DC
    50 Imperial Templar - DPS/Healz - DC
    50 High Elf Templar - Heal - DC
    50 Khajiit Sorc - DPS - AD
    50 Redguard Warden - DPS - DC
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhat updated this guide after a long break from tanking. It's not very good and not very pretty, but tanking information is still good to look at for Veteran Dungeons.
    Tank