The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[PvE Build] Dragonknight Tank (Homestead)

• Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Jack3dJoe wrote: »
    I just hit VR1 and was wondering where I should put my attributes. I've got about 35 in health and the rest split in magicka/stamina.

I wouldn't worry too much till V10+ when you start to get higher leveled gear. You want to get around 25-30k health and have a balance on the other two. It really depends on your tanking style. If you have more than enough health, you can put attributes/enchants into other areas that you are lacking. I personally have all points into health, as Nord's passives only gives 3% max health (this will change with the DLC). If you're Imperial, you'll probably have plenty of health and stamina, so you could throw some points into magicka.

If any of that doesn't make much sense, I'm sorry. Just know how much health you need to be at for end game content and work from there. There's alot of diversity and things you can do different depending on gear, race, champion points, ect so I can only give you what I have.
    (NA) Anlaemar with 750+ Champion Points
    Member Since April 15, 2014
    (EP)Alrik Vadason - Nord Dragonknight
    Tank
    (EP)Matdasi Hlarrobar - Breton Mageblade
    Formerly known as Ra'dar Ahdhari - Main DPS 40k Self Buffed
    (EP)Marrec Vadason - Breton Templar Healer
    (EP)Nameless - Altmer Sorcerer - Secondary DPS
    - The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason -
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    New video: Veteran Banished Cells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWQ4yyK41Y4
    Tank
  • AudioVortex
    AudioVortex
    ✭✭
    This is a TONNE of info and has really helped shape my new dragon knight tank. I decided to give it a go when my guild was constantly in a struggle to fill tank roles for vet dungs. And it WORKS! I tanked a vet 1 dungeon with a group of guildies easily whilst level 45. Wut.

I decided not to put all stats in health about 30 in health and then about 8/9 stam, 6/7 magic, still have a few left for levelling, and decide what I need most for a Dunmer. I just need to work on new tanking gear, as before I had Magnus/seducers for magic dps, and still have it partly.

I can also swap out some skills to make it viable in pvp.

Thanks for this!
    Vex Carlotta - Templar - Imperial - Aldmeri Dominion - VR2 - Werewolf
    Casamir Naharis - Dragon Knight (Tank) - Dunmer - Aldmeri Dominion - VR10 - Werewolf
    Razelan Azani - Nightblade - Redguard - Daggerfall Covenant - L45
    EU Dominion - Aldmeri Kings
    EU Daggerfall - Daggerfalls Elite
  • goella1310
    goella1310
    Soul Shriven
    how can you make more dmg with this build when you wanna lvl or grind on veteran ranks?
    Edited by goella1310 on August 31, 2015 8:08PM
  • Blackheart0129
    goella1310 wrote:
    goella1310 goella1310
    Soul Shriven
    how can you make more dmg with this build when you wanna lvl or grind on veteran ranks?
    Edited by goella1310 on August 31, 2015 1:08PM
    1:07PM

I do not know what the original author would suggest. This is just what I use to either deal more damage or when I'm grinding veteran ranks.

If you have enough skill points use Dual Wield or 2 Handed for the second skill bar. If not you can keep using Sword & Shield im just not sure if it will produce the same amount of damage.

My 2nd Skill Bar
    Rapid Strikes - For single Target
    Molten Armaments or Obsidian Shield - Either one will work. If your Dual Wield this will also grant you the Finisher (aka execute) skill that Dual Wield lacks.
    Choking Talons - This lets you control bigger mobs and debuffs them.
    Fiery Breath - AoE damage
    Evil Hunter - Provides Major Savagery passively
    Flawless Dawnbreaker - gives you more weapon damage. You can also use Standard of Might for AoE and reduces the incoming damage.

If your using 2 Handed replace Rapid Strikes with Wrecking Blow. Also replace Choking Talons with Executioner. You also replace either Molten Armaments with Rally. I cant remember what Rally gives you but if it provides Savagery replace Evil Hunter instead.
  • goella1310
    goella1310
    Soul Shriven

I do not know what the original author would suggest. This is just what I use to either deal more damage or when I'm grinding veteran ranks.

If you have enough skill points use Dual Wield or 2 Handed for the second skill bar. If not you can keep using Sword & Shield im just not sure if it will produce the same amount of damage.

My 2nd Skill Bar
    Rapid Strikes - For single Target
    Molten Armaments or Obsidian Shield - Either one will work. If your Dual Wield this will also grant you the Finisher (aka execute) skill that Dual Wield lacks.
    Choking Talons - This lets you control bigger mobs and debuffs them.
    Fiery Breath - AoE damage
    Evil Hunter - Provides Major Savagery passively
    Flawless Dawnbreaker - gives you more weapon damage. You can also use Standard of Might for AoE and reduces the incoming damage.

If your using 2 Handed replace Rapid Strikes with Wrecking Blow. Also replace Choking Talons with Executioner. You also replace either Molten Armaments with Rally. I cant remember what Rally gives you but if it provides Savagery replace Evil Hunter instead.

Thank you!
    Will test it out now, but have to level up my Dual Whield first. Wont be too effective then i think.
    So your first Bar will be like the "Lock n' Block" Bar right? Which doesnt matter then anyway if you are grinding.
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    goella1310 wrote: »

It's been a little over a year since I got done leveling my DK. Being still new to the game, I experimented a lot and used just about everything at least once.

What I would recommend now depends on if you're magicka or stamina based.

For a magicka oriented build, bar one would indeed be pretty much the same as the Lock N Block. I'd replace the ult with Ferocious Leep or its other morph. Your off bar would be your DPS, which I'd chose fire staff and use ardient flame skills and destruction skill line skills. Impulse is recommended for its AOE, of course.

For stamina, bar one is the same above. Bar two, I would chose duel wield and stamina morphs of ardient skills. Steel tornado would be your bread and butter.

Of course @Blackheart0129 has some good pointers, as well. Like I said its been awhile since I went through the leveling process on a DK. Hopefully I'll be revisiting it soon. Planning to make a Dunmer DK (shock) and flip flop DPS and Tanking.
    Tank
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try to get a video up with tanking with the new update. I basically doubling my stamina pool before I did any testing. Went in and didn't block as much as I did before. Didn't seem to have a problem. Reaching 32-33k Spell Resistance and Armor buffed + Nord passives + coagulating blood, it just seems I can't die as long as I pay attention to power attacks and such. Using same tanking strategy as before.

Only problem I'm having is magicka. I use ALOT of chains with a couple talons here and there (3-5 chains, 1-2 talons per pull). Have to pop a tri-pot midway through to keep the chains going unlike before. This is with about 26k Health and 24k Stamina using food. This is good in case I want to switch over to some kind of stamina DK build.

So to fix the magicka problem for trash pulls in pledges, I might try going back to replacing Hist Bark with Seducers.

Might get to take on AA and those Axes tomorrow. Excited for that.

And now he's rambling... this is what happens when you wake up at 7am to watch the forums and wait for an update, play all afternoon/evening, and work 11pm - 7am...
    Edited by Anlaemar on September 1, 2015 8:25AM
    Tank
  • Blackheart0129
    @goella1310

I am no expert by any means. Im only at VR6 but the only class ive played since it was released on console has always been a stamina build DK.

My first bar is almost the same except for Choking Talons. I have Obsidian Shield instead because I like damage shields and love the fact that I can help my team by giving them one. Plus it also gives me an ability to give myself an offensive buff on my tanking set up.

For my farming and solo build i just replace Pierce Armor with Heroic Strike to build ultimate faster. I pop all my buff and then charge in. Switch to bar 2 as soon as I begin my attack. Then if and when my buff wears off I switch back and pop all my buffs again. This way you can survive while dealing serious damage. Actually i use that same setup when Tanking sometimes because I want to have my DPS readily available. Its great for Resource management but once you do run out of resources and couldn't get it back you'be done with. Having those potions always handy is great.
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    @goella1310

I am no expert by any means. Im only at VR6 but the only class ive played since it was released on console has always been a stamina build DK.

My first bar is almost the same except for Choking Talons. I have Obsidian Shield instead because I like damage shields and love the fact that I can help my team by giving them one. Plus it also gives me an ability to give myself an offensive buff on my tanking set up.

For my farming and solo build i just replace Pierce Armor with Heroic Strike to build ultimate faster. I pop all my buff and then charge in. Switch to bar 2 as soon as I begin my attack. Then if and when my buff wears off I switch back and pop all my buffs again. This way you can survive while dealing serious damage. Actually i use that same setup when Tanking sometimes because I want to have my DPS readily available. Its great for Resource management but once you do run out of resources and couldn't get it back you'be done with. Having those potions always handy is great.

I must have been tired last night because I failed to mention that. Definitely don't need any taunts when soloing on your bar unless you're leveling it.

Good call. :)

Tank
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're going stam dps, take 2h over dw. Dw sucks. Badly.
  • Khoraak_StormCat
    I'm rather disappointed.....

That I am the first person to give an awesome vote to your guide.

I too have been a Nord DK Tank throughout the entire game. I was trying to offer up more dps for my team with all sorts of magicka based crazy stuff and I got a little distracted. Thanks for refreshing my tanking mind with your straightforward talk.

I am excited about the fact that you have s+b for both weapons.. I have been thinking about trying this for some time. My build was pretty much the build you describe here. I tried going pure dps but I just can't keep up with those crazy kitties... maybe if i can be bothered, I'll get my dual wield up; I have never even touched a pair of daggers, that's how pure tanky I am...

Although I have a levelled up resto staff as a back-up, to help squishy lower level Guild-mates out, as they want to move up in the guild, hitting the veteran dungeons themselves.. I would use heals instead of magicka attacks - just maintaining taunt and cc. Healing with ring of pres, igneous shields, resto staff. Maybe firing Structured Entropy, Eruption and inner fire on the boss (a few potions here n there lol) I tended to use resto staff for Darkshade Caverns' Engine Guardian boss Gold key run for a vr1-5 team.

Thank you very much for your guide, it has shown me that the simple set up I used as my staple was always a good one :)

Skal!
    Hindsight connects us to the past, the now and what is yet to be. It is a circle that belongs in all time and grants us the opportunity to learn always. It is acceptable to keep one eye on the past, as long as the other eye is focussed on the future.
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    I'm rather disappointed.....

That I am the first person to give an awesome vote to your guide.

I too have been a Nord DK Tank throughout the entire game. I was trying to offer up more dps for my team with all sorts of magicka based crazy stuff and I got a little distracted. Thanks for refreshing my tanking mind with your straightforward talk.

I am excited about the fact that you have s+b for both weapons.. I have been thinking about trying this for some time. My build was pretty much the build you describe here. I tried going pure dps but I just can't keep up with those crazy kitties... maybe if i can be bothered, I'll get my dual wield up; I have never even touched a pair of daggers, that's how pure tanky I am...

Although I have a levelled up resto staff as a back-up, to help squishy lower level Guild-mates out, as they want to move up in the guild, hitting the veteran dungeons themselves.. I would use heals instead of magicka attacks - just maintaining taunt and cc. Healing with ring of pres, igneous shields, resto staff. Maybe firing Structured Entropy, Eruption and inner fire on the boss (a few potions here n there lol) I tended to use resto staff for Darkshade Caverns' Engine Guardian boss Gold key run for a vr1-5 team.

Thank you very much for your guide, it has shown me that the simple set up I used as my staple was always a good one :)

Skal!

Thanks!

I've tried (still am, tbh) to figure out a build offers some kind of decent, sustained DPS. Being the hearty Nord I am, I never can seem to find the right balance for it, especially with my tanking style. I prefer the straight up tank method so I can concentrate more on keep adds off party members, locking them down, chaining/grouping them so DPS can burn them down faster, ect.

With this update, though, I may be able to do it with some of the new gear, or at least offer even more support for my groups. We'll see. :)
    Tank
  • Rhazmuz
    Rhazmuz
    ✭✭✭
    Hey

T(h)anks alot for this guide, really look forward to you getting it updated fully for update 2.1.

As a player coming back to the game, its nice to get a somewhat quick overview of where the DK tank is at.
    Rhazmuz - Nord DK tank
    PS4 - EU
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Threw this in my first post, my thoughts on new gear for tanking. :)
    Anlaemar wrote:
    Since you're probably not blocking a good portion of the time during most cases, Hisk Bark/Footman is obsolete and obviously Blood Spawn isn't useful now but for its ult regen. Don't get me wrong, if you have this, you can still do most if not all content (because I have). These sets (minus BS) will most likely be essential for the Axes in AA, but beyond that there's defiantly better sets, preferably sets that procs "on hit" since you'll definitely be getting hit a lot. Now to theory craft, sets that will be considered (http://esoacademy.com/imperial-city-item-sets/ for set bonuses):

Brands of Imperium: This will definitely be a top pick, though it comes from drops. Won't have access to this right away, though I'm liking the looks of it.
    Leeching Plate: This set seems interesting. Would be a good pick if you're looking to add DPS to a build.
    Set of the Armor Master: (Craftable) This will most likely replace Hist Bark in my setup for the time being. Gives a bit of everything that a tank needs.
    Black Rose: This will be my go-to set for soloing.

For an undaunted set, some would say Engine Guardian. Good set, used it till 1.6 and switched to BS. Though I think Scourge Harvester is where it'll be at for tanks, for me at least. Again, an "on hit" proc which heals.

As for jewelry, swords, and shields... Footman jewelry can still give decent stats for a straight up tank style to keep for awhile. S/B though... If you have a Master's Sword, stick with it. Shield it doesn't really matter (if you have Footmans). Or you can use a couple of the new Agility/Endurance sets. The three piece sets are useless IMO unless you're going for a more hybrid setup. You could always do a two piece sets. (Both rings one set, neck and shield another). Just thoughts, don't know if it would be optimal.

In any case, my aim is the same with regards to magicka/stamina, which is to use both pretty equally. I mean our best heal and CHAINS! use magicka, amiright? And I use CHAINS! a LOT. It's at the point were if something is not in arms length, I chain it in without thinking. If all of your focus is on stamina, you can only pull off so many chains in a pull, and I can't bring myself to limit myself of chains, lol.

Anyway, while I'm still in the process of theory crafting my tank, suggestions/input is welcome! :).
    Tank
  • Maphusail
    Maphusail
    ✭✭✭
    Anlaemar, do you still use Green Dragon Blood after update 2.1.4? Or you've changed it to Coagulating blood? If so, do you feel yourself comfortable with it?
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Maphusail wrote: »
    Anlaemar, do you still use Green Dragon Blood after update 2.1.4? Or you've changed it to Coagulating blood? If so, do you feel yourself comfortable with it?

Since the update drop I've been using Coagulating Blood with the mindset that GDB would be useless. Yesterday I actually decided to switch back because I have noticed I'm not using it in fights except for when the healer either a) can't keep up or b) not healing (lol). The little stamina regen boost may benefit more since I'm now running into issues of running out of stamina, even though 90% of the time I'm not blocking. The instant I need to toss my shield up, for whatever reason, the stamina pool goes down fast because of the amount of enemies on me. Even with Hist/Footman/Defense Posture slotted. So the idea is when my shield isn't up, I want my stamina to come back. Fast. Without the need to go through 30+ tripots a dungeon.

This is what I said about it back in May:
    Anlaemar wrote:
    - This one can actually be debated on. While Coagulating Blood can be useful for those tanks with less than 30k health ( B)) , I don't need that extra healing. I personally benefit from the stamina regeneration of GDB. Yes, you get Major Endurance from both GDB and tripots. I use tripots for the restores, not the regeneration. GDB takes care of my stamina regeneration besides, and health recovery is the most worthless thing in the game, that just leaves magicka. Which I'm cool with.

I think I still stand behind that. We'll see how it goes.
    Tank
  • Blackheart0129
    Maphusail wrote: »

I believe Green Dragon Blood is going to be more essential in update 2.1.4 (Im on console so I haven't tried it out yet). Coagulating Blood's boost to healing is great and all but the ability to regain Stamina using Magika is something that is hard to pass up on.

Everytime you have a shield up or whenever your low in stamina activate GDB and get that much needed stamina to block or dodge roll your way to safety. This way you can save those potions for a real emergency.
  • Rhazmuz
    Rhazmuz
    ✭✭✭
    Hi mate

Pre 2.1 most tanks ran/run footmans+hist bark. However with the block nerf, as you also note, it could be time to move away from these sets, at least maybe hist bark.

Im thinking something like 3 x 4 set bonuses:

4 x footmans, 4 x armor master and 4 x alessias bulwark. You sacrifice 5 point bonusses, but as stated above, you wont be blocking as much, so are they necessary? I know there is the set from one of the new dungeons, which gives shields to whole aprty, but that can be a long time goal. For just getting started, the above 3 x 4 set bonusses would provide quite alot in terms of health, armor and protection.
    Edited by Rhazmuz on September 9, 2015 8:40PM
    Rhazmuz - Nord DK tank
    PS4 - EU
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Rhazmuz wrote: »
    Hi mate

Pre 2.1 most tanks ran/run footmans+hist bark. However with the block nerf, as you also note, it could be time to move away from these sets, at least maybe hist bark.

4 x footmans, 4 x armor master and 4 x alessias bulwark. You sacrifice 5 point bonusses, but as stated above, you wont be blocking as much, so are they necessary? I know there is the set from one of the new dungeons, which gives shields to whole aprty, but that can be a long time goal. For just getting started, the above 3 x 4 set bonusses would provide quite alot in terms of health, armor and protection.

My thoughts exactly. The only time you'll may need Footmans/Hist Bark would be situations you HAVE to block a lot (IE AA Axes). I love how Armor Master looks, though I'm not all 9 trait, but I've currently getting Alessias Bulwark V15 (just needs enchants now) to replace Hist Bark.

Also, that set you're talking about is Brands of Imperium. It short, it looks more than amazing.
    Tank
  • Huntsman2710
    awesome build, cant wait to use it :smiley::smiley:
  • Blackheart0129
    Rhazmuz wrote: »
    Hi mate

Its true that with Update 7 Tanks wont be blocking as much but thats simply because prior to Update 7 most tanks just holds up their block and the only time you really see it drop is when they're casting a spell or when they're out of stamina. With that said though it doesnt mean that you will mostly rely on the damage shield. I think blocking will still be very essential to a Tank but instead of just holding down block button it will now require some skill and timing.

I do believe that blocking will still play a big role. You will no longer recover stamina but it doesn't mean a tank cant rely on blocking as its main damage mitigation. Now it just means that you have to find a way to go around that blocking nerf through blocking cost reduction and conserving as much stamina as possible while learning to time your blocks more perfectly. With that said what makes 5 piece Hist Bark set amazing is that it gives you a chance to completely avoid any incoming damage without any cost on your resources. Since the attack never came in contact there is no stamina cost.

There is no down side to the set itself. By using 4x Footman's, 4x Armor Master, & 4x Alessia's you miss out on the 5 piece set bonus of the footman. Plus using those three sets will put you above the cap for Physical Resistance. You might be better off using 5x Armor Master, 5x Tormentor, 2x Engine Guardian. Though that would still imply that you would rely on Damage Shield for damage mitigation more than you would on Blocking.

That's just my thoughts about that. Though i have to say since Im playing on the console i havent really tried playing the game with the block nerfs in place. So my opinions might change once update 7 comes live on the consoles.
  • Rhazmuz
    Rhazmuz
    ✭✭✭
    @Blackheart0129

You have some valid points, and us console players shall have to see how big an impact the block nerf has on playstyle. Besides, you could always have different setups for different fights. I just like the idea of flat bonusses, instead of a special bonus which "only" applies in a given situation; ie. when you block. The hist bark 5 bonus is neat though, as you point out!

Im not sure using the 3 x 4 setup I mention would put me over the caps when I use hardened armor, at least not based on my current stats. Going a little over cap wont be a big deal tho, as most enemies will have some armor/spell penetration.

Anyways, its nice to get some debate/feedback on these things :)
    Rhazmuz - Nord DK tank
    PS4 - EU
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Its true that with Update 7 Tanks wont be blocking as much but thats simply because prior to Update 7 most tanks just holds up their block and the only time you really see it drop is when they're casting a spell or when they're out of stamina. With that said though it doesnt mean that you will mostly rely on the damage shield. I think blocking will still be very essential to a Tank but instead of just holding down block button it will now require some skill and timing.

I do believe that blocking will still play a big role. You will no longer recover stamina but it doesn't mean a tank cant rely on blocking as its main damage mitigation. Now it just means that you have to find a way to go around that blocking nerf through blocking cost reduction and conserving as much stamina as possible while learning to time your blocks more perfectly. With that said what makes 5 piece Hist Bark set amazing is that it gives you a chance to completely avoid any incoming damage without any cost on your resources. Since the attack never came in contact there is no stamina cost.

There is no down side to the set itself. By using 4x Footman's, 4x Armor Master, & 4x Alessia's you miss out on the 5 piece set bonus of the footman. Plus using those three sets will put you above the cap for Physical Resistance. You might be better off using 5x Armor Master, 5x Tormentor, 2x Engine Guardian. Though that would still imply that you would rely on Damage Shield for damage mitigation more than you would on Blocking.

That's just my thoughts about that. Though i have to say since Im playing on the console i havent really tried playing the game with the block nerfs in place. So my opinions might change once update 7 comes live on the consoles.

I no longer block enough to justify having 5xHist and 5xFootman. Even when fighting a boss. During any kind of trash pull, you're healer is already doing to be spamming heals for the DPS, which is also getting you. That on top of enough armor and spell resistance you don't need to block but for when you see a heavy or need to interrupt. Same with boss fights. No damage shields. Pure tankyness. Anything that reduces enemies damage would help you further. IE choking talons or 5xAlessia, though once I can I'll be using 5xArmor Master till I can get my hands on Brands of Imperium. Then if you have a half decent healer, they're throwing shards and using repentance. Even without those I rarely get under half stamina.

Take it from me who has already done it. Even with full Hist Bark, Footmans, as much points into Block Expertise, and with a huge stamina pool, you'll run out of stamina in pulls where your DPS isn't very well if you try to perma block. Even when DPS is good, in some instances. Then you're left with the problem where you've spent so much on trying to tank the old way that you're useless in pulls. You're not there to group adds, CC them down for your DPS (or however you tank).

Since I no longer just hold block down, I've added DPS to my setup. I've had 20k+ burst in pulls and 3-4k sustained DPS single target. Not the best, but hey I'm a tank. Plus I'm still using "old" armor, so not optimized for it. Every little DPS helps.
    Tank
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Me tanking Normal Imperial Prison, testing out adding DPS to my tanking style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCxsq_Ym4BI
    Tank
  • GiantDad85
    GiantDad85
    Soul Shriven
    Hey Anlaemar,

sorry for my english, I would like to thank you for this build/guide, I rolled a nord dk before finding this masterpiece out and well.. I fell in love with it!

I'm going to try out how the new patch works (i'm on ps4) and to be honest I'm a bit concerned about not having that large health pool anymore.. I'm at VR2 btw, and this is my first character on ESO.
    My tanking style before patch was like taunt everything>shield up>repeat taunt when needed>shield up (a little monotonous but very effective and yes, I'm a kind of "purist" when talking about tanking, I mean mega health pool+heavy armor+shield+taunt.. and that's all ).

Is missing all the health we had before a big problem in your opinion? This plus the stamina regen nerf make me feel like being naked :sweat:
    With my group we are going to try out the undaunted veteran dungeons, do you have any hints about tanking in them?

Thanks , keep up the good work
    Edited by GiantDad85 on September 17, 2015 1:32PM
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    GiantDad85 wrote: »
    Hey Anlaemar,

sorry for my english, I would like to thank you for this build/guide, I rolled a nord dk before finding this masterpiece out and well.. I fell in love with it!

I'm going to try out how the new patch works (i'm on ps4) and to be honest I'm a bit concerned about not having that large health pool anymore.. I'm at VR2 btw, and this is my first character on ESO.
    My tanking style before patch was like taunt everything>shield up>repeat taunt when needed>shield up (a little monotonous but very effective and yes, I'm a kind of "purist" when talking about tanking, I mean mega health pool+heavy armor+shield+taunt.. and that's all ).

Is missing all the health we had before a big problem in your opinion? This plus the stamina regen nerf make me feel like being naked :sweat:
    With my group we are going to try out the undaunted veteran dungeons, do you have any hints about tanking in them?

Thanks , keep up the good work

Glad you liked it.

You definitely put it into words. I, too, feel "naked" without my stamina regen. Though as tank, we have to adapt to situations all the time. The way I approach it right now is a bigger stamina pool and only blocking when it's absolutely necessary. I get CC'd alot in pulls because I generally toss in Caltrops running in to pull aggro and since I'm not blocking, I get slammed. But I don't fret, I have plenty of armor and spell resistance AND a healer coming in behind me to keep me alive. Intead of wasting stamina breaking out, I let it ride. Also, tossing in some Choking Talons to debuff your enemies helps you stay alive, as well.

For health, I still have 27-29k depending on my gear. Plenty for any content.

Something to keep in mind: it's practically meta for a tank to also DPS while doing his tanking role. Weird concept, I know. While I haven't really perfected this "meta", I have done dungeons and kept 3-5k single target DPS where before I kept it around 1k. I wouldn't pass for a DPS role, but it still brings a boss down faster. The faster it goes down, the less you have to tank.

Ultimately, I suggestion it to spec, gear, ect with the idea that you won't be blocking 90% of the time. Only thing I can recommend is what I have here as it's still viable, just not the best anymore. After I do more gear farming I'll get back to tanking and update this.
    Tank
  • GiantDad85
    GiantDad85
    Soul Shriven
    Tried out the new changes, it seems more chellanging and therefore rewarding to me.

It takes some time to figure out how to manage the health bar since roaming alone (especially vs dungeon bosses) became somewhat more tedious... if I could self-sustain myself before the patch, now I'm constantly needing an healer in many situations.

I noticed that Whitestrake's bonus literally saves my ass so many times.. and I'm using Alessia's as a 4 set pieces. Still testing out the sets btw.

The extra dps really surprise me, they are good (for a tank)!

Last but not least: i'm still the last man stranding in the battleground when facing a tough battle, so I think the build is still viable ;)

• cmackay2010rwb17_ESO
    "Molten Armaments or Obsidian Shield - Either one will work. If your Dual Wield this will also grant you the Finisher (aka execute) skill that Dual Wield lacks."

What finisher are you referring too here?
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    "Molten Armaments or Obsidian Shield - Either one will work. If your Dual Wield this will also grant you the Finisher (aka execute) skill that Dual Wield lacks."

What finisher are you referring too here?

Molten Armaments is basically DK's class finisher. It increases your heavy attack damage to enemies at low health.
    Tank