Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it poor taste to ping or actually duel a "scrub" or a much lower level toon?

GreenhaloX
GreenhaloX
✭✭✭✭✭
I know there are no written rules on dueling ethics or conducts, but would it be in poor taste if you're a CP toon that pings another lowbie or much lower level toon for a duel? Sure, I see a lot of duels between a maxed out CP toon and another in the 300 and 400 CP range, and at times, the maxed out CP would lose. However, what is with higher level toons pinging toons below level 15? I have seen CP level toons dueling toons that are in the single digit. What is funny is a 100 something CP turned into a WW while dueling a level 6 or a much higher level NB using stealth strike and fracture against the "scrub" opponent. Why?! During this Jester Festival and current Anniversary event where we have been gratefully given double XP, I have created 6 new toons for fast leveling. Every new toon while still a scrub, I get pinged a lot for a duel by toons that are 30 to 40 levels higher and even those in the CP.

Sure, it is quite funny when a duel actually takes place between a scrub and a much higher level toon (well.. also, can't say much for the scrub that actually accepted the duel. Ha ha), but what is the point? Below level 15, you don't even have duel weapons and rarely any resistance. There's even a big difference between a level 15 toon and a toon who has just been spitted out from Coldharbour that is below level 10. So, why would someone who is much higher level want to duel a scrub? I don't think there's any testing of skills, ability or build when you're dueling a scrub. I wonder if it's an ego thing, and those higher levels are just looking for a quick win for their tally, or I don't know, maybe someone lost a duel and needed a quick and easy win against a scrub to make them feel better..
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is usually the much lower level player that challenges me first, almost to the point of annoyance sometimes.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's the point of challenging someone with lower cp tho. Plenty of people maxed out.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in cyrodiil, my lv10 toon was stalked and repeatedly killed by cp800+ ganker while in a questing area
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh. I had no idea dueling was so complicated.
    Edited by Graydon on April 14, 2017 12:27PM
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I duel all the time on my low level character and find doing so a lot easier than on high level toons. I win a lot more than I lose against cp600 toons. On my cp600's, my record is nowhere near as good. Hidden cp, crafted gear and upscaling are very op.

Absolutely nothing to do with the lvl of toon and everything to do with what's hidden behind the actual toon. There was one guy mocking others saying no one should lose to a lvl 15 character, yet i beat him too. Got abuse after doing so saying i was a BoL and jabs scrub. So basically, I was just to stand there and hinder myself whilst he ganked the ass off me. Inner light took care of that though.

Some people simply shouldn't duel. If they can't counter what's in front of them, they cry or give out *** poor excuses such as "I'm wearing full pve". They shouldn't go around challenging people if they're so touchy about losing. I get my ass handed to me from time to time by low level toons. It happens.
  • AndrewQ84
    AndrewQ84
    ✭✭✭
    Poor taste is randomly throwing out duel invites to strangers and persistently doing over and over again after they declined. And what would be the point of dueling someone who is way low level or a newb? There is no reward from it.
    Sa'hira of the Shadows, DC Nightblade and ruins explorer extraordinaire.

"May your day be awesome and full of Bacon!!!"

- Me
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is usually the much lower level player that challenges me first, almost to the point of annoyance sometimes.

Same concept for the other way around. Ha ha. I can see a lowbie against another right around the same level range, but not sure the reason for pinging another much higher who has much more damaging weapon, resistance, skills and abilities, where below level 10, you don't have yet. Ha ha. It's not like PvE where a level 6 can solo a world boss with 1.8 mil hp, which is possible.. yes, I've done it.
    I duel all the time on my low level character and find doing so a lot easier than on high level toons. I win a lot more than I lose against cp600 toons. On my cp600's, my record is nowhere near as good. Hidden cp, crafted gear and upscaling are very op.

Absolutely nothing to do with the lvl of toon and everything to do with what's hidden behind the actual toon. There was one guy mocking others saying no one should lose to a lvl 15 character, yet i beat him too. Got abuse after doing so saying i was a BoL and jabs scrub. So basically, I was just to stand there and hinder myself whilst he ganked the ass off me. Inner light took care of that though.

Some people simply shouldn't duel. If they can't counter what's in front of them, they cry or give out *** poor excuses such as "I'm wearing full pve". They shouldn't go around challenging people if they're so touchy about losing. I get my ass handed to me from time to time by low level toons. It happens.

I don't go around pinging others for a duel, but when another pings me and we're in the same bracket/level range, sure, why not.. let's try it, but not when another is 30 levels higher or in the CP range when I'm only at level 6 or 7. Ha ha. Same with my maxed CP toons, I might entertain here and there, and if we're not too far apart in CP levels. Like most things in ESO, dueling had become an art. You're right, it is more challenging and harder to duel CP vs CP. There are some crafty dudes/dudettes who are very good with dueling. Much like PvP, you have to craft the right build and use the most effective skills and abilities. A lot of folks have become very good at that, with hidden tricks up their sleeves.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Most low level duel spammers are baiting/trolling people.

Level 5 wearing a costume?

Yeah, no thanks. He's running 600 CP's along with the noob buffs.

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • kip_silverwolf
    kip_silverwolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one low level alt who I use mainly as a harvester. Most of the time he sports nothing more than a pair of pants and his bucket and broom. And yet he is the one out of all my characters (with the rest being maxed) who is always receiving duel offers, mostly from high levels. Perhaps they think he's an easy target, but they quickly find out he's not.

The funniest one was when a fully armoured CP600 turned tail and fled, with my drunken (and mostly naked) lvl 20ish Nord chasing him with the broom :D
    "I'm going to live forever..or at least die trying"

drunken Nord & Tamriel streaker since Arena

• Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, maybe you should reevaluate other things like your need to call other players derogatory names, or to over complicate what boils down to a button mash?

Anyway it is a possible look behind the mind of the player that keeps spam dueling request me while Screaming coward and Off color comments about my mom, while I'm trying to craft Armor....so thanks for that.

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »

I don't go around pinging others for a duel, but when another pings me and we're in the same bracket/level range, sure, why not.. let's try it, but not when another is 30 levels higher or in the CP range when I'm only at level 6 or 7. Ha ha. Same with my maxed CP toons, I might entertain here and there, and if we're not too far apart in CP levels. Like most things in ESO, dueling had become an art. You're right, it is more challenging and harder to duel CP vs CP. There are some crafty dudes/dudettes who are very good with dueling. Much like PvP, you have to craft the right build and use the most effective skills and abilities. A lot of folks have become very good at that, with hidden tricks up their sleeves.

A level 6 will be a LOT stronger than lvl 30 if they know what they're doing ;) So you're right, I wouldn't want to be part of lvl 6 vs lvl 30 duel, but that's because in similar conditions lvl 6 has much stronger positions lol.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I just warped into Vulkel Guard and a level 6 just got wrecked by a level 44, than a level 9 pinged the same level 6 and the level 6 got wrecked again. Then, a CP level toons went up to the level 9 to ping for a duel. It is hilarious. I guess nowadays, all folks do is hang around capital cities and duel. Not much difference in other capital cities. Ha ha
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    What's the point of challenging someone with lower cp tho. Plenty of people maxed out.

Likely win so the delicate ego doesn't get damaged?
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure scrub is an insult - meant to imply someone who is acting like a brand new player even though they should know better, or simply a bad player in general.

It seems a bit odd to insult someone while worrying about whether it's polite to challenge them.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balamoor wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe you should reevaluate other things like your need to call other players derogatory names, or to over complicate what boils down to a button mash?

Anyway it is a possible look behind the mind of the player that keeps spam dueling request me while Screaming coward and Off color comments about my mom, while I'm trying to craft Armor....so thanks for that.
    Danikat wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure scrub is an insult - meant to imply someone who is acting like a brand new player even though they should know better, or simply a bad player in general.

It seems a bit odd to insult someone while worrying about whether it's polite to challenge them.

@Balamoor, @Danikat, oh.. I see how the term can be taken out of contexts, or someone could use that not so positively. Didn't meant the scrub thing to be derogatory or an insult on here, though. Merely, it is ESO jargon/language. To me.. a scrub is merely another term for a new, lower level or "lowbie" toon that haven't acquired the good skills, weapons or equipment yet. Similar to a brand new player who is not yet experienced would be referred to as a "noob." I've been a scrub and call myself that all eight times, after creating a new toon. Ha ha.
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do when I'm in the mood. I then proceed to light attack only, and typically just let myself run out of health.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Axoinus
    Axoinus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they accept the dual, then it is what it is. The only thing in poor taste would be spamming the challenge.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Once there was a player who was hanging out at the docks at Vulkhel Guard. As I went trotting by on my horse this player challenged my to a duel on my level sub-10 mag DK, he was CP300-something. Normally I would've just ignored it, but for some reason it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It might have had something to do with it being where the noobies land when they are "spit from Cold Harbour". But I accepted his request and killed him in about 5 seconds. At the time I thought hew was just trying to get the title and the only way he was going to get it was by challenging new players. I'm not usually one to t-bag players (I can count on both hands how many times I have), but he got the bag.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options > Social > Auto-decline Duel Requests.

It started to get irritating to enter major cities and get bombarded with duel requests. In the starter cities, I understand. It's a new feature, so sure, why not try it out even if you have no intention of winning.

I don't mind dueling, but the spamming of requests was just getting ridiculous that I had no choice but to auto-decline.
  • mr1sho
    mr1sho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm max cp but my buddy is only 30 so this 600 wanted to duel my buddy I watched them duel and my buddy lost I told him to pass me the controller and I challenged the 600 and I out played him and won this 600 keep trying rechallenge my buddy for an hour straight even went as far as sending him a friend request we laughed so hard
    Gold Company Commander
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mr1sho wrote: »
    I'm max cp but my buddy is only 30 so this 600 wanted to duel my buddy I watched them duel and my buddy lost I told him to pass me the controller and I challenged the 600 and I out played him and won this 600 keep trying rechallenge my buddy for an hour straight even went as far as sending him a friend request we laughed so hard

ermagerd you brōk the ToS!!
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few months ago, a CP 180 or so character sent my level 7 magicka nightblade (CP CAPPED at the time) a duel invite, and it was very satisfying CRUSHING him with no passive even unlocked......

Hmmm, what does THAT say about balance.....
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ipomoea wrote: »
    A few months ago, a CP 180 or so character sent my level 7 magicka nightblade (CP CAPPED at the time) a duel invite, and it was very satisfying CRUSHING him with no passive even unlocked......

Hmmm, what does THAT say about balance.....

Says nothing about balance, says everything about battle leveling.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember challenging a CP 561!flawless conqueror Templar to a duel... on my level 7 stam sorc, I won lol with about 1k health left.
    I bet he quit the game after that.
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like being challenged to duels period. Like if I'm just sitting there I'm not just waiting for 100 duel requests. And it's a lot of low levels that do the requesting. After a certain amount after denying I just get annoyed and accept the request and destroy them.
  • KingKush
    KingKush
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember challenging a CP 561!flawless conqueror Templar to a duel... on my level 7 stam sorc, I won lol with about 1k health left.
    I bet he quit the game after that.

Not if he knew how powerful battle leveling is in this game.

I've actually stopped dueling anyone below CP ranks. Got tired of low levels winning and bragging about how "beast" they are not knowing how ridiculously OP level scaling is for characters below CP ranks.
    Edited by KingKush on April 14, 2017 6:28PM
    Xbox NA
    GT: Live Like Kure
    King Kush-MagSorc
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just dunk him quickly and assert dominance.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Duels are annoying and I just turn on auto decline, problem solved.

Normally I would really be upset at higher levels preying upon noobs just for giggles and to pick on noobs, but in this game level doesn't work the same. So I really don't have much opinion on it. Dueling also doesn't cost either side anything so meh.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure that's what your excuse msg says afterwards...... lol
  • GraphicArtistYT
    GraphicArtistYT
    ✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »

Same concept for the other way around. Ha ha. I can see a lowbie against another right around the same level range, but not sure the reason for pinging another much higher who has much more damaging weapon, resistance, skills and abilities, where below level 10, you don't have yet. Ha ha. It's not like PvE where a level 6 can solo a world boss with 1.8 mil hp, which is possible.. yes, I've done it.

Lied