Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Does ESO decide whats in a node at the time it places it or when someone clicks on it?

Ojustaboo
Ojustaboo
✭✭✭✭✭
Does ESO decide whats in a node at the time it places it or when someone clicks on it?

Farming for Nirn, wondered if it's worth my while going for those ones surrounded by mobs, or just moving on to the next one? If it's decided whats in a node at the time it's placed, it's probably worth going for them.
  • ASkullParty
    ASkullParty
    ✭✭
    I've thought about this too. It's got a philosophical ring to it.
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is player proximity. It randomly selects based off of your character's level and the crafting level of that node. For instance my characters who are lvl 50; cp lvl 160+ will see Rubedite ore, but if their crafting is not high (and no points are allocated within it) then they will also see iron ore.
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The level of the node is determined as you approach it, if it is set to spawn, based on either your character level or material passive level, in a 50/50 split. This would apply to metal, wood and cloth nodes. And, by approach, this would be determined by your View Distance as the game only renders what you can see. Which is why turning down view distance can improve FPS (hint hint)

As to what is in the node when you harvest it with regards to quantity and the secondary item, it is unknown. To us anyway, as there is no way to test it really. The passive that gives a 10% chance to double the node output probably can be applied after the node is opened so that does not really tell us when the content of those is generated.

For instance, if you are in a cell, and find a motif, that is the only motif your going to find in that cell (think delve or dungeon or building). So, to that end, loot is pretermined. But, I can't see them wasting CPU resources on all nodes as most players bypass crafting and other nodes so why bother predetermining it?

So, while some or most furniture/backpack containers are probably predetermined on cell load, I would say that crafting nodes loot (which includes crates and things that drop provisioning mats) are generated on click. But that is just a guess.

Treasure Chests and Locked Chests have to be on click as there is a passive that can influence what you get.
    Edited by Nestor on April 11, 2017 8:28PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The node's contents are not set until it is clicked upon. My partner and I running together can see 2 different materials (differing levels) but whichever of us clicks it first "locks in" that vision of reality. This is why it's such a pain when someone goes around clicking nodes then leaving stuff behind, it never adjusts to what the next player might need instead.

The same goes for treasure chest contents, my CP160+ character's been finding maple staves and such lately thanks to hopefully unknowing (rather than malignant) players.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were coding it the way it was implemented, I would assign a value, 1 or 2, to each node. Whenever a player looks at this node, if it has a value of 1, the appearance matches the level of the character. If the value of the node is 2, it would match the crafting skill of the character. When a player opens the node, it's appreance gets fixed and it's contents decided, and so it would remain till despawn.
    Edited by WhiteMage on April 11, 2017 8:39PM
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether the node follows player level or craft level is decided when node is placed into world. Two players at different levels see the same node differently, and it freezes when either one picks it. I tested this with two accounts logged in at the same time.

The exact content is rolled when picking. Player passives affect the exact content, e.g. Plentiful Harvest picks the node twice and it may place a second nirn into the node.

The nodes are like quantum physics. Observing them affects their state :wink: .
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The character level vs. craft level feature is a modified version of the original Wrothgar implementation, where two levels of materials were available, and that feature was selected when node was placed into world. That is why character level vs. craft level follows the same rule.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteMage wrote: »
    If I were coding it the way it was implemented, I would assign a value, 1 or 2, to each node. Whenever a player looks at this node, if it has a value of 1, the appearance matches the level of the character. If the value of the node is 2, it would match the crafting skill of the character. When a player opens the node, it's appreance gets fixed and it's contents decided, and so it would remain till despawn.

Appearance needs to be fixed for a character as soon as it is visible.

The big question is when I leave ancestor silk in a node and then a non-crafting level 3 uses the node, do they see jute? I assume so.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A node has no items in it until you interact with it.

You can clearly see this when you have server lag and interact with a node. Your client UI will lag behind until it receives the node content information from the server.

For what it's worth, this is the *correct* way to prevent cheating since there is no way for a hacker to inject node contents into the client/server communication.

Also worth mentioning, this wasn't always the case and got fixed at some point after PC launch when hoards of bots were running the asylum.
    dry.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on April 11, 2017 9:16PM
  • GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nodes are in a quantum mechanical superposition of all possible states. The moment someone performs a measurement (starts the harvesting) the node will decide in which state it is, namely what materials it contains, depending on the probabilities for all states. From that time on the node is in that state, even if the harvester does not remove any material.

You read it right! ESO is just an application of Quantum Mechanics.
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    WhiteMage wrote: »

Appearance needs to be fixed for a character as soon as it is visible.

The big question is when I leave ancestor silk in a node and then a non-crafting level 3 uses the node, do they see jute? I assume so.

No, they will receive the ancestor silk if you left it behind after opening the node as that is when the contents are locked in. Hence why I sometimes get low level materials with my fully maxed crafters that are CP160+.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    001100 010010

In eternal flux Tamriel is, yes.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    The node's contents are not set until it is clicked upon. My partner and I running together can see 2 different materials (differing levels) but whichever of us clicks it first "locks in" that vision of reality. This is why it's such a pain when someone goes around clicking nodes then leaving stuff behind, it never adjusts to what the next player might need instead.

The same goes for treasure chest contents, my CP160+ character's been finding maple staves and such lately thanks to hopefully unknowing (rather than malignant) players.

@Tevalaur

In this situation, would a Ancestor Silk, that you see, cough up say, Jute if the lower level/passive clicked on it? Or does it change to Jute right in front of you?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ojustaboo wrote: »

Farming for Nirn, wondered if it's worth my while going for those ones surrounded by mobs, or just moving on to the next one? If it's decided whats in a node at the time it's placed, it's probably worth going for them.

Move to the next one.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I did once because I was curious, I walked up to a wood node and it showed as Beech because I had 3 pts in wood passive. I opened my character sheet, put another point in the 1st woodworking passive, because I wanted to see if it changed to Hickory right then and there. It did not change in name or appearance, but when I used it, it gave me Hickory wood.
    So, I assume, the "treasure generation" script runs in the node's "on_click" event, not it's "on_spawn" event.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

@Tevalaur

In this situation, would a Ancestor Silk, that you see, cough up say, Jute if the lower level/passive clicked on it? Or does it change to Jute right in front of you?

I'm the one with the maxed crafter that always harvests, while my gf is telling me over my shoulder that "no, that's not ancestor silk, it's jute, learn your plants" every time... but it's an interesting question and will ask her if she sees it as jute right up until it vanishes or if it changes -- I will even turn off auto-loot to give it a moment to see rather than vanish so quickly as it normally does :)
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you as max level crafter touched a clothier node, a lowbie will see it as a Jute node but loots Ancestor Silk.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    If you as max level crafter touched a clothier node, a lowbie will see it as a Jute node but loots Ancestor Silk.

Just confirmed this. @Nestor, my gf and I just went to a node. She saw Flax, I saw Ancestor Silk. I touched it, but did not remove the plant. She then harvested ancestor silk from what still continued to appear to look like Flax to her, but received Ancestor Silk.

Result: it continues to look like what each of us saw all along, but the harvest changes.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    helediron wrote: »

Just confirmed this. @Nestor, my gf and I just went to a node. She saw Flax, I saw Ancestor Silk. I touched it, but did not remove the plant. She then harvested ancestor silk from what still continued to appear to look like Flax to her, but received Ancestor Silk.

Result: it continues to look like what each of us saw all along, but the harvest changes.

Yeah...I harvested what appeared to me to be a rubedite ore node, but it contained orichalcum. I've also harvested lower level potencies from rune nodes but those all look the same anyway.