The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

No need for sharpened - the mathematical way.

Masel
Masel
Class Representative
tmp_24649-_20170328_1115321180.jpg

Did an effective spell power calculation with different magicka sets with the uesp build editor (which is the best Build tool around imo) to clear up how viable NOT using sharpened really is compared to the BSW/IA/Monster Set Meta. The orange highlighted setups require sharpened IA/Moondancer and vMA Staffs to reach those numbers.

Given that the BiS setup requires an Endless Gear Grind in order to get both a sharpened vMA staff AND a sharpened moondancer or aether staff, for 95% of the players it is preferable to settle for one of the above setups and do stuff that is fun with it. Because they'll never ever end up in the Top 100 Trial Leaderboards.

The uesp effective spell power includes everything except flat percentage bonuses like elemental expert, minor vulnerability and the exploiter passive, which is why I factored them in afterwards because all three affect basically all damage you deal. Proc sets are also excluded, but all of the setups are exactly similar and have only illambris as proc based set. The burning status effect from BSW is excluded too and will push those percentages a little more.

You see that ALL of those setups range within 5% of the considered Best in Slot Setup. The advantage of going for spinner is that you can settle for a nirnhoned/infused/precise/charged staff on the front AND back bar and still be within 5% of the Best in Slot Setup.

This limits the gear grind by a significant margin.

If my math is off, please correct me.

Assumptions:

BSW uptime of 60%.
Weapon Damage Glyphs procced on cooldown.

All done on a templar, so the critical modifier is higher than it is on a sorcerer and dk, so precise+spinner and Mothers Sorrow lose out a little there.

Charged gives you a 95-100% uptime on both off-balance and concussion by yourself, which is the reason why the effective power is so strong in solo play and groups where the uptime is not there.

The only thing that changes between the setups is that I took 17 cp from the elemental expert tree and put it in spell erosion.

What we learn?

BSW is overtuned, but that isn't new. The elemental expert tree is overtuned too: 17 points from 78-95 deliver more or at least similar damage than 17 points from 0-17 in spell erosion.
The precise trait with spinner can be used as a slightly weaker version of mothers sorrow on nightblades and templars and still do great DPS.
Charged is very good in solo play. I knew that before, but maybe more people notice now.
Infused is better than nirnhoned, it basically doubles the power of your enchantments and therefore provides more spell damage (174>146) and empowers your crushing wall on vMA staffs.
Edited by Masel on March 28, 2017 3:08PM
PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Nice! I use maelstrom nirnhoned backbar and do just fine with it haha. I'm not grinding for sharpened when I weave on my front bar anyways
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    You see that ALL of those setups range within 5% of the considered Best in Slot Setup.

Hush now your going to pop the bubble of all the Min/Maxers out there and have them get all in a tizzy.

I think getting within 5% of the max whatever is rather easy to do. On all of my characters I have different combos of sets, some have Willpower, some have 2 set items that increase spell damage, all kinds of different things. Every time I look at changing things up, I don't see all that much an improvement over what I had.

The gear grind is really a myth for 99% of the content in the game. Unless you want to be in the top 100 of the Trials Leader Boards, there is no need to chase the nth degree of stats, it's a waste of time. The mobs are going to die just as quickly, PvP is not going to be decided on a 5% difference in stats, Vet Dungeons can be achieved and Trials will be completed with gear that is 95% of the theoretical max.

Here is one example. To get that lauded Sharpened vMA staff, you have to grind MA without it. Well, if you can grind MA without it, then do you really need it? Want it, sure, need it? Nah.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Got flawless without sharpened vma staff lol. Don't need it, it'll help maybe but I've done all content without it lol
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Got flawless without sharpened vma staff lol. Don't need it, it'll help maybe but I've done all content without it lol

Well on a Sorc, if you can come up with a good rotation with Deadric Prey on the back bar and the execute on the front bar, you really don't need a sharpened vMA inferno. As of now they are bugged anyway, so you might as well just use something else :smile:
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭

Well on a Sorc, if you can come up with a good rotation with Deadric Prey on the back bar and the execute on the front bar, you really don't need a sharpened vMA inferno. As of now they are bugged anyway, so you might as well just use something else :smile:

Hmm? Vma staff bugged? Like no enchant???
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Hmm? Vma staff bugged? Like no enchant???

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/324753/bug-maelstrom-destro-staff-enchant-broken-edit-all-maelstrom-weapons-broken/p1
    Options
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Ty!
    Options
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great analysis! I just updated the UESP Build Editor to include Elemental Expert/Mighty, Minor Slayer, and Minor Vulnerability (Target) effects in the Effective Spell/Weapon calculation. I've been meaning to update it for a while now and your post gave me nudge I needed. If you or anyone has further ideas on improving the effective power stats just jet me know!
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
    Options
  • superleeds19
    superleeds19
    ✭✭
    @Masel92 so julianos,ilambris and IA with Vma sharp staff is 0.8% away from "BiS"?
    Options
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Masel92 thanks. Just wanted to say that your recent (last month or so) myth-busting about sharpened has led to me changing 3 character builds... non-sharpened weapons areally so cheap to buy and the builds really do excel. Understanding the effectiveness of charged on a staff build changed my magicka playstyle for the better.

I'm looking forward to wardens who (may) have a +200% chance to apply the chilled status, and giving ice staff tanks a fantastic root spell through ice staff elemental blockade.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
    Options
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great analysis! I just updated the UESP Build Editor to include Elemental Expert/Mighty, Minor Slayer, and Minor Vulnerability (Target) effects in the Effective Spell/Weapon calculation. I've been meaning to update it for a while now and your post gave me nudge I needed. If you or anyone has further ideas on improving the effective power stats just jet me know!

Holy [snip] @Reorx_Holybeard I was messing with builds today and one second all my theoretical builds are sitting around 8300 effective weapon power and then BAM they're all sitting around 10300. I was convinced the program was bugged and that I shouldn't use it anymore and here you are telling me it wasn't bugged. Thanks so much for that build editor by the way. Best thing ever.
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on February 16, 2018 9:49PM
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
    Options
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    @Masel92 so julianos,ilambris and IA with Vma sharp staff is 0.8% away from "BiS"?

Yes it is. It's going to be a little more than that in the end, because of the additional burning from BSW. Julianos gives you 360 spell damage, ~6% critical rating and 967 Magicka, while BSW gives 586 Spell damage at a 60% uptime, 3% crit and 967 magicka. The difference is lower on a magplar or magblade because of the 10% additional crit damage modifier. So no need to grind yourself BSW just to get 2% more damage if you can just use julianos or TBS and be right behind that.

All that is just valid if you have sharpened vMA and aether/moondancer staffs or course. With anything else than a sharpened vMA staff, the spinner set will come out ahead because you keep the penetration on both bars and it enables you to run aether and vMA staffs in precise/nirnhoned/infused/charged.
    PC EU

Youtube:
    Options
  • superleeds19
    superleeds19
    ✭✭
    I was interested because I've been running 5 julianos,4 aether and 2 ilambris and it's been incredible damage!
    Options
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just do my necro 5x infal 3x ilambris 2x and maelstrom nirnhoned ? Is grinding vma for sharpened on my back bar really only worth like 2% damage?
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used infused on my Magblade as it increases the enchant on spell power but I did not know it was better then sharpened or nirnhoned . Happy accident ? Just two days ago I upgraded to sharpened ... Are you telling me I just blew 200k ? If so , that feels bad man .
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've used infused on my Magblade as it increases the enchant on spell power but I did not know it was better then sharpened or nirnhoned . Happy accident ? Just two days ago I upgraded to sharpened ... Are you telling me I just blew 200k ? If so , that feels bad man .

infused is better then nirnhoned, not sharpened, you did not blow it.
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to improve my dps on my mdk rn I'm useing 5 BSW divines 3 willpower ring/neck grothdarr 2 and gold 2 destro staffs sharpen best dps was 30k

If I get moondancr and vma staffs infused and replace willpower that would be just a little less then sharpen?
    Options
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I'm trying to improve my dps on my mdk rn I'm useing 5 BSW divines 3 willpower ring/neck grothdarr 2 and gold 2 destro staffs sharpen best dps was 30k

If I get moondancr and vma staffs infused and replace willpower that would be just a little less then sharpen?

No, you'd also need to replace BSW with spinner. The spinner 5-piece is basically a little weaker version of sharpened and increases your damage by 8% in PvE, while the BSW 5-piece gives you less than that. It enables you to use precise/infused/nirnhoned vMA and Moondancer/IA staffs.
    PC EU

Youtube:
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No, you'd also need to replace BSW with spinner. The spinner 5-piece is basically a little weaker version of sharpened and increases your damage by 8% in PvE, while the BSW 5-piece gives you less than that. It enables you to use precise/infused/nirnhoned vMA and Moondancer/IA staffs.

Ohhhh okay tysm
    Options
  • NiclasFridholm
    NiclasFridholm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have actually had interesting results using Spinner-Scathing/BSW, this way I can run Precise X2 on DW (templar) without losing to much pen. You lose out on minor slayer but if groupbuffs are good that buff is meh anyways.
    Tobias Funke - Magplar since forever

Options
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

Huge thanks to you for all the work you put in there! I use it to theorycraft a lot lately. A problem I have is the drag and drop option for skills on both desktop and mobile versions. It does not work at all on my Phone. Is there a way that you can solve that somehow? Because I often do not have my laptop with me (traveling through Europe a lot lately, studying is awesome) and would like to be able to test stuff too.
    PC EU

Youtube:
    Options
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge thanks to you for all the work you put in there! I use it to theorycraft a lot lately. A problem I have is the drag and drop option for skills on both desktop and mobile versions. It does not work at all on my Phone. Is there a way that you can solve that somehow? Because I often do not have my laptop with me (traveling through Europe a lot lately, studying is awesome) and would like to be able to test stuff too.

Yes, we've been meaning to improve it on mobile and have done a little work but getting the drag/drop working on mobile is the next thing we have to figure out.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
    Options
  • OldGamerESO
    OldGamerESO
    ✭✭✭

@Reorx_Holybeard Your build editor is responsible for my decreased work productivity :) The hours roll by when you are tweaking a build over and over and over. Oh and it is a lot of fun to throw the meta-builds out the window and have the courage to do a unique build. It also saves on gold because the increased chance of the build being viable is so much higher. I can't tell you of the wasteland of gear I have from failed builds.
    Options
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

@Reorx_Holybeard Your build editor is responsible for my decreased work productivity :) The hours roll by when you are tweaking a build over and over and over. Oh and it is a lot of fun to throw the meta-builds out the window and have the courage to do a unique build. It also saves on gold because the increased chance of the build being viable is so much higher. I can't tell you of the wasteland of gear I have from failed builds.

And it saved me from finishing my excel build editor sheet with macros.... Typing all those CP points in the sheet would've taken ages :smiley: Still have to find a way to reliably factor in proc sets to assess their contribution to the effective spell/weapon damage. Now that they do not crit anymore it shouldn't be too difficult, but I still can't figure out how...
    Edited by Masel on March 31, 2017 2:49PM
    PC EU

Youtube:
    Options
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Reorx_Holybeard

The build creator is great but I think you guys forgot about AOE damage (leki, blade cloak)
    Options
  • pizzaow
    pizzaow
    ✭✭✭
    Dammit @Reorx_Holybeard!.. there goes my work productivity for today... and probably most of April.

Seriously, great job on the site, especially the build editor. I can tell a ton of work went into it.
    XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow
    Options
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post.

Not sure that the "effective power" is a valuable metric. And the entire post is based on it.

Assuming it is, still have some questions:
    1. What is that +9.38%? Saying that self buffed the second setup is stronger? Then why don't you upload a screenshot please, just so we can see it in action.
    2. Seriously, the experiment is the king. Show us some screenshots. Or others who have access to some of that gear - post some parses, so we have something to discuss.

All in all, assuming that that "effective power" is an appropriate metric, good job showing that gear only means 5% of that effective power or so. Hopefully, it will stop people from whining about certain weapons of certain sets. However, we still have to see how that effective power translates to DPS, because in the end - that's what matters.

Either way, people, listen to the OP. There's more than 1 way, and the difference is not that large to care, unless you're going for top 1 scores. And even if you do - ping, fps, and battle RNG are way more significant.
    Edited by Artis on March 31, 2017 8:37PM
    Options
  • GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Masel92
    First of all thank your for the comparison. Most decent theorycrafters should know that basically all setups you can use are within a few percentage range so that outcome is not surprising. Player skill and good weaving will always make a bigger difference than gear. Only for the trial top scores you need to squeeze out everything out of your gear.

I have another question that is related to weaving:
    Does your effective spellpower include weaving at all, since it scales differently?
    Many people forget that weaving scales roughly with (magicka + 40*spelldmg), therefore sets like Spinner, TBS and Necropotence will loose some more dmg compared to Julianos or BSW.
    When I do calculations like this I always include weaving with an error rate of around 25% in addition to the effective ability spellpower.
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
    Options
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main problem with not running sharpened is AOE damage. Do you think your healer and tank are going to put debuffs on every mob in every pull in a vet dungeon or Trial? No. If you don't have sharpened, you will notice a significant decrease in your AOE damage.
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The main problem with not running sharpened is AOE damage. Do you think your healer and tank are going to put debuffs on every mob in every pull in a vet dungeon or Trial? No. If you don't have sharpened, you will notice a significant decrease in your AOE damage.

lightning heavy splashes AFAIK
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options