The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How to get 100% crit chance on any class in PvP. (Vengeance CP passive needs an internal cooldown.)

• Speed_Kills
    Speed_Kills
    ✭✭✭
    @Minno haha yes, I agree. I'm all for abandoning (ship) cp in pvp. This thread makes me want to go test the other passives and see what else is over performing.
    Some say speed kills, I hope to be proof of that.

Main- Speed Kills Nord Stamina Sorcerer
    +11 alts (every class, mag+stam)
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want to wear heavy armor with <30% crit chance, yet chain BoL crits back to back or achieve 80%+ crit chance across a long fight on your 75k health trollplar or mDK?

Ever notice the crit rates on Blazing Shield tanks, or those nearly unkillable BoL magplar tanks (you know the ones)?

Run snb and fight against magicka classes (i.e. any zerg). One magplar jabbing you is enough to proc this passive back to back for 100% crit chance on every global cooldown, as this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aJhgf8WY981

Thanks to my man @usmcjdking for noticing this overperforming passive, doing the testing legwork to isolate it, and putting together this quick video illustrating it in action for you guys. I merely pushed him to make the video after listening to him complain about it for a week so that we can get this issue some visibility. :tongue:

10 point CP passive in the Apprentice star. Check it out.

I suggest an internal cooldown of at least 5 seconds in order to space out these procs. 5 seconds still feels rather short to me, though, because one proc would be present in every consecutive combo. Combos generally come every 5-7 seconds depending on the class. Thoughts?

As sorc, my force pulse alone proc that cp.

That's explain why when shield is down, I can be one shot by tanky magplar or magdk, heavy armor user probably noticed it.

"Vengeance"
    Guarantees your next spell will be a critical hit after you block three spells within 10 seconds of each other.
    Unlocked at The Apprentice Rank 10"

Thats also mean blocking templar make BoL 100% crit, cuz BoL is a spell.

In fact, every thing that cost magicka will crit.

What's about ultimate ? Are they spell when they make magic or elemental damage ? Or when they are used by a magicka character ?

Thanks a lot @NightbladeMechanics (can you check ultimate pls ?, don't have time atm) for reported this crappy thing here, that's need a serious nerf.
    Edited by Aedaryl on March 29, 2017 4:01PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bug+blessed set... Auto crit or auto immune.
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So....the outrage is that Vengeance has been doing exactly what the tooltip says it would for the last 2 years, and nobody ever read their CP passives?
    1mbtfm.jpg

You can call it poor design, but am I missing something? And LOL @ people saying "mag builds have been exploiting this", yeah not like Unchained was completely OP for almost 2 years or something. :smirk:
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HoloYoitsu wrote: »
    So....the outrage is that Vengeance has been doing exactly what the tooltip says it would for the last 2 years, and nobody ever read their CP passives?
    1mbtfm.jpg

You can call it poor design, but am I missing something? And LOL @ people saying "mag builds have been exploiting this", yeah not like Unchained was completely OP for almost 2 years or something. :smirk:

I don't think anyone has been "exploiting" this, per se, as much as unknowingly taking advantage of it. I was unable to look at this (or frankly most any CP passive) from anything but a PvE perspective as a DD/healer so I wrote it off as useless like most other CP passives. All this shows us is those builds that we thought were broken OP, ARE broken OP. There's nothing to punish, just fix.

IMO, removing CP would be a great first step, buuuuuuut...

The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1mbtfm.jpg

Because only us masochists keep rolling magicka in a stam meta. Raise your hand if you ever thought " hey maybe this magicka passive will make me better than Stam builds?!".

Should be changed if it's granting 100% crit. Unchained shouldn't have taken that long to fix either. And that was worse since most of cyro were Stam builds during those two years using the office :).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1mbtfm.jpg

Hey thanks for pointing this out in a previous thread somewhere on the forums to help bring attention to a mechanic that very easily negates an important factor in PVP builds.

Glad you have the due diligence to bring issues like this to light!
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteMage wrote: »
    1mbtfm.jpg

I don't think anyone has been "exploiting" this, per se, as much as unknowingly taking advantage of it. I was unable to look at this (or frankly most any CP passive) from anything but a PvE perspective as a DD/healer so I wrote it off as useless like most other CP passives. All this shows us is those builds that we thought were broken OP, ARE broken OP. There's nothing to punish, just fix.

HOW? How is it unknowingly "taking advantage" of it? It's literally verbatim what the tooltip says, I don't think the tooltip could have been any more clear! "YOUR NEXT SPELL WILL BE A CRITICAL HIT". I don't understand how you can act like this is somehow a new discovery?
    Minno wrote: »
    1mbtfm.jpg

Because only us masochists keep rolling magicka in a stam meta. Raise your hand if you ever thought " hey maybe this magicka passive will make me better than Stam builds?!".

Should be changed if it's granting 100% crit. Unchained shouldn't have taken that long to fix either. And that was worse since most of cyro were Stam builds during those two years using the office :).
    I don't get what you mean by "if", it literally says "will be a critical", there isn't any room for ambiguity there.
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    1mbtfm.jpg

Hey thanks for pointing this out in a previous thread somewhere on the forums to help bring attention to a mechanic that very easily negates an important factor in PVP builds.

Hey thanks for assuming that people can't read the tooltip that is literally starring them in the face and realize "gee, guaranteed crit is good".

While we're on this, if you remember 1.6 when we still had stam regen on block, this passive was much weaker because everyone was blocking all the time - and you can't crit against block, so it pretty much only impacted Templar healing.

And if we're gona talk about due diligence: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/152103/unchained-why-stam-builds-become-completely-broken-w-360-cp
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While we're on this, if you remember 1.6 when we still had stam regen on block, this passive was much weaker because everyone was blocking all the time - and you can't crit against block, so it pretty much only impacted Templar healing.

You can crit on blocking targets.
  • klink012
    klink012
    ✭✭✭
    1mbtfm.jpg

Exactly. Now HoloYoits build will get the nerf, as it should. Just more broken game mechanics being taken advantage of by the wonderful ESO community and this generation of gamers.

Kudos to you USMCJDKING to bring this to light on the forums. Hopefully ZoS makes a change.
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lore_lai wrote: »

When was that changed, initial design was you could not crit if they blocked the ability, last change I remember was dots and ground based aoe being made unblockable, so they can crit a "blocking" target, also dmg against block can still register as crit dmg in order to proc effects that are based off crits (like crit surge), but they didn't actually do crit dmg.
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When was that changed, initial design was you could not crit if they blocked the ability, last change I remember was dots and ground based aoe being made unblockable, so they can crit a "blocking" target, also dmg against block can still register as crit dmg in order to proc effects that are based off crits (like crit surge), but they didn't actually do crit dmg.

No idea when it was changed or if it was even ever the case that you couldn't crit, honestly.
    It won't register as a crit on the UI headsup, because the floating text prioritizes the "blocked" indicator (using in-game combat text btw)but the modified damage from being a crit is there. Talking about direct damage ability of course.
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    klink012 wrote: »
    1mbtfm.jpg

Exactly. Now HoloYoits build will get the nerf, as it should. Just more broken game mechanics being taken advantage of by the wonderful ESO community and this generation of gamers.

Kudos to you USMCJDKING to bring this to light on the forums. Hopefully ZoS makes a change.
    LMAO!

Yeah, my build totally uses this passive. My DW sorc that doesn't block to begin with and wouldn't benefit from this proc anyways, as the crit would be wasted from Entropy spam to proc Frags - that's totally the build that "abuses" this passive!

You sir, deserve a medal!
    doge_approved_stamp_by_megashades-d7awpuq.jpg

No idea when it was changed or if it was even ever the case that you couldn't crit, honestly.
    It won't register as a crit on the UI headsup, because the floating text prioritizes the "blocked" indicator (using in-game combat text btw)but the modified damage from being a crit is there. Talking about direct damage ability of course.
    Interesting, tho I do think I specifically remember the change in regards to things that couldn't crit being made to be able to register as a crit in order to proc crit surge heals.
    Edited by HoloYoitsu on March 29, 2017 9:54PM
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some people are going a bit over-the-top with "exploiting" and "taking advantage" etc.
    It's not like you can stop yourself from proccing said passive - wtf, that doesn't mean that people are intentionally exploiting.

"Oh yeah - I'm gonna make this super secret Mag exploity build that no-one would ever try with 10 sneaky points into Apprentice - like, no one who plays Magicka puts points into that tree, ever."
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some people are going a bit over-the-top with "exploiting" and "taking advantage" etc.
    It's not like you can stop yourself from proccing said passive - wtf, that doesn't mean that people are intentionally exploiting.

"Oh yeah - I'm gonna make this super secret Mag exploity build that no-one would ever try with 10 sneaky points into Apprentice - like, no one who plays Magicka puts points into that tree, ever."

Um where did you get that message? I sent that to a friend a couple weeks ago in confidence.
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are other connotations to those words then the negative ones... smh folks. How about this: People are using this and it is helping them. Neutral enough? General enough?

There is no internal limit to the effectiveness of this passive and that right there is the problem. Besides, how do you actively, maliciously "exploit" (this one has the negative connotation) a passive? It's nowhere near the level of, as an example, that werewolf set bug that gave you 9999 weapon damage or whatever. Just so we're clear, we are on the same page with this.
    Edited by WhiteMage on March 30, 2017 12:27AM
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incoming tidal wave of jabplars tonight !
  • out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys, when you call something like this an exploit, it puts the blame onto the players, not the devs. Devs came up with the term exploit to redirect anger over bugs to the players, instead of themselves. Game developers(not only ZOS) need to get rid of the attitude of "we don't need to fix it, we'll just punish people for using it". Whenever you call something an exploit or another player an exploiter, you are encouraging that attitude. Please, stop doing this.
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    out51d3r wrote: »
    Guys, when you call something like this an exploit, it puts the blame onto the players, not the devs. Devs came up with the term exploit to redirect anger over bugs to the players, instead of themselves. Game developers(not only ZOS) need to get rid of the attitude of "we don't need to fix it, we'll just punish people for using it". Whenever you call something an exploit or another player an exploiter, you are encouraging that attitude. Please, stop doing this.

100% blaming players is as sideways as 100% blaming devs.

An exploit is a bug, unintended by the devs, which some people learn about and intentionally use to gain an advantage over others. Bugs happen because devs aren't perfect. Bugs need to be fixed, and players who exploit them should be warned or banned.

But this is an overperforming passive which every magicka class has unlocked. That's a very different thing. This passive just needs to be balanced.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An exploit is a bug, unintended by the devs, which some people learn about and intentionally use to gain an advantage over others. Bugs happen because devs aren't perfect. Bugs need to be fixed, and players who exploit them should be warned or banned.

But this is an overperforming passive which every magicka class has unlocked. That's a very different thing. This passive just needs to be balanced.

OR they could just try to adress permablock (again) and it would balance itself? :)
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

OR they could just try to adress permablock (again) and it would balance itself? :)

You don't need to permablock for this passive to overperform. Even a few crits in a row over just a few global cooldowns can be too much.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the outrage is more that its doing exactly what it says, and that is an experience the masses are uncomfortable with.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Um where did you get that message? I sent that to a friend a couple weeks ago in confidence.

My informers are everywhere, comrade!
    o.o
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WhiteMage wrote: »
    1mbtfm.jpg

HOW? How is it unknowingly "taking advantage" of it? It's literally verbatim what the tooltip says, I don't think the tooltip could have been any more clear! "YOUR NEXT SPELL WILL BE A CRITICAL HIT". I don't understand how you can act like this is somehow a new discovery?
    Minno wrote: »
    1mbtfm.jpg

I don't get what you mean by "if", it literally says "will be a critical", there isn't any room for ambiguity there.
    1mbtfm.jpg

Hey thanks for assuming that people can't read the tooltip that is literally starring them in the face and realize "gee, guaranteed crit is good".

And if we're gona talk about due diligence: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/152103/unchained-why-stam-builds-become-completely-broken-w-360-cp

Doesn't the video show him holding block and spamming concealed weapon in a build setup to have the stamina to block? Which shows continuous uptick of crit attacks ignoring crit chance. The CP system is meant to augment your build not bypass core mechanics.

I'm all up for adhering to what it says on a tooltip, but
    Let's not kid ourselves that this should stay. A cool down isn't too much to ask for and wouldn't effect most builds in cyro aside from full health tanks looking for a free crit heal/attack at a measily 28% crit chance.

You want that crit? Build for it.

- Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to say I am completely ambivalent to this. In order for it to actually benefit you in a meaningful way, you need to be fighting outnumbered and have a lot of incoming damage. So, sure, neuter fighting outnumbered even more, it's pretty par for the course cuz like you were gonna die anyway - paraphrasing Wrobel.
    Duraeon / Maoh
    Former Emperor of Haderus, Trueflame, and Azura's Star
    PC/NA
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magus wrote: »
    I want to say I am completely ambivalent to this. In order for it to actually benefit you in a meaningful way, you need to be fighting outnumbered and have a lot of incoming damage. So, sure, neuter fighting outnumbered even more, it's pretty par for the course cuz like you were gonna die anyway - paraphrasing Wrobel.

Did you even watch the video? It only takes one person hitting you to achieve 100% crit across indefinite consecutive global cooldowns as long as you're blocking.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you even watch the video? It only takes one person hitting you to achieve 100% crit across indefinite consecutive global cooldowns as long as you're blocking.

Yes, good experiment to show it in a controlled way. But in actual combat, will be spamming more than one button and blocking. Guess you could picture magplar holding block and spamming breath of life in heavy armor but I'm still pretty ambivalent about it. Make the change or don't, doesn't really matter to me.
    Duraeon / Maoh
    Former Emperor of Haderus, Trueflame, and Azura's Star
    PC/NA
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean it's the same thing with shuffle. Shuffle in a 1v1 is obviously very strong, but nerfing it because it's op in 1v1s means it's no longer as good of a tool for fighting outnumbered. Shuffle is one of the few mechanics in this game that gets stronger the more outnumbered you fight.

While yes this passive can proc in a 1v1, I don't really think that this passive needs to be nerfed for 1v1 scenarios. However, outnumbered this passive is fantastic and should we be nerfing things in this game that are stronger when outnumbered?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean it's the same thing with shuffle. Shuffle in a 1v1 is obviously very strong, but nerfing it because it's op in 1v1s means it's no longer as good of a tool for fighting outnumbered. Shuffle is one of the few mechanics in this game that gets stronger the more outnumbered you fight.

While yes this passive can proc in a 1v1, I don't really think that this passive needs to be nerfed for 1v1 scenarios. However, outnumbered this passive is fantastic and should we be nerfing things in this game that are stronger when outnumbered?

Should be changes that relate to 3-8 man groups. This way BG's are balanced. Zergs will be able to do whatever they want anyway regardless of cooldown and until AOE caps are removed, you'll never expect zos to give small man groups the tools to outperform outnumbered fights.

Giving it a cooldown will also at least lock the zerg out of using the same passive. Wailing on a group of players will suck more once they realize they can hold block and cast a heal. They would love when the potatoes cast a ranged spell/Aoe too. GG trying to small-man that situation lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This passive should not be nerfed for any sort of PVP gameplay purposes. 1v1 Xv1 or 1vX are inconsequential to what this passive actually does towards balance. You can flat out ignore an important build choice, one that is inherent to MA/LA to make them have more reliable critical at the cost of not having the defensive mechanisms of Heavy armor.

This isn't directed at nerfing 1vX in the slightest. This is ensuring that build mechanics remain infallible instead of being completely bypassed by champion points, in this case, 30.
    Edited by usmcjdking on March 30, 2017 7:48PM