The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Regarding Buffing and De-buffing stacking and other questions

parkham
parkham
✭✭✭
From what I've read the answer is:

- Major and Minor buffs of the same effect DO stack
- Two Major buffs of the same effect DO NOT stack

Except they do? Sometimes?
Shinra wrote: »
UTG_Zilla wrote: »
So I can't stack medium armor skill and assassination skill (each 20% dodge) for 40% dodge? It'd just be 20%?

Yes, it will be 20 %. BUT you can stack one of those buffs with hist bark (18%), making it 38 %.

found here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/191597/do-buffs-stack

Other questions:

Maybe if the buff is from a skill AND also from an item, they will then stack?

What if a character has a buff, casts it on himself - then another character has a different buff, but of the same effect and can cast it on the character. Does it stack?

Are there any other considerations I'm not seeing?
Edited by parkham on March 29, 2017 3:39PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
- Divine Crusade Guild
- Greybeards & Gals Guild
- Dead Citizens Guild
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They shouldn't stack with histbark, if it does it's a bug.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't stack named buffs, that histbark info is wrong or a huge bug. The best way to tell if something stacks is it's value. If one item adds 25% dr and another 35% those stack because they are separate buffs and not the same buff from 2 sources.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Would you please clarify what you are saying? I'm confused. What if it's the same effect but it isn't "named"?

OR

If it's the same effect, but a different value, it will then stack?

Or both are correct?
    Edited by parkham on March 29, 2017 3:38PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    parkham wrote: »
    OK, so if it's the same effect, but a different value, it will then stack?

Yes, basically.
    It's actually simple. Major expedition stacks with minor expedition but you cant stack major or minor more than once. Any other increase to run speed (from cp/gear/racials) will stack on top of both.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on which bugs are working that day. Try mighty chudan on DK and use hardened armor or maybe a NightBlade with Refreshing path.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Are there other things in the game that have stacking rules other than buffs and debuffs?

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »

Yes, basically.
    It's actually simple. Major expedition stacks with minor expedition but you cant stack major or minor more than once. Any other increase to run speed (from cp/gear/racials) will stack on top of both.

What about the Histbark example? Working as intended?

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    OK, more stuff from here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/157421/hist-bark-and-major-evasion
    Hutuldur wrote: »
    Did a bit of testing last night and it stacks, but there seems to be hard cap on dodge chance. Hist Bark + Major Evasion dodge change ended to 25-26% in all tests I made. Hist bark alone was 17-18%. Test runs were quite short, so I will double check tonight.

So using both is an improvement, but not big enough to be worth using unless you got too much stamina.

I don't know if caps are relevant to this particular discussion, but maybe they are? I have read there are caps on things like physical resistance etc.. I suppose everything in the game has a cap - I might start another thread about that if it's relevant to do so.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »

Yes, basically.

What about the Histbark example? Working as intended?

From the wording it should not stack with shuffle/double take
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are few caps in the game, one comes to mind and that is Damage Mitigation capped at 50%, which means you grow to 50% damage mitigation as you approach approx 32K in resistance, but going over 32K in resistance does not increase damage mitigation over 50%. I would assume Spell Resistance is the same here. But other than that, I have not heard of any.

Cost Reduction seems to be capped but its not really. For example, you have a spell that the tool tips says costs 620 points, down from say 1000 due to passives and gear that reduce skill cost. But then you apply 3 203 cost reduction glyphs to your jewelry, you would think that the spell cost should be 0, but its not, it is because how the cost reductions are applied.

As for testing, there is testing, then there is horsing around and reporting numbers. A true testor will state their testing conditions so they can be repeated and verified, as defined in the Scientific Method. Also, a testor will do what they can reasonably do to test one variable at time.

So, we don't know from this statement:

Did a bit of testing last night and it stacks, but there seems to be hard cap on dodge chance. Hist Bark + Major Evasion dodge change ended to 25-26% in all tests I made. Hist bark alone was 17-18%. Test runs were quite short, so I will double check tonight.

The testing conditions are not specified, how is the person reporting the dodge chance? what gear are they wearing? what passives or buffs are in place?

Also, and this is the most important thing to understand, Dodge Chance is a Chance to Dodge, in other words, RNG is a factor here. For example, you can have 99% Dodge Chance and not dodge any attacks in a fight. Sure, it's unlikely that you would not dodge something, but its still all down to RNG.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is old info, hence the misconception. Hist bark used to provide a different dodge buff, so it used to stack with evasion. They changed to to the same buff so they can no longer stack.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    One a few more questions and I think I have it:

Let's say two people use Aggressive Warhorn. What effect will it have on the enemy?

Will the Major Force buff stack because different people used the buff?

Let's say an affected player has 10000 in Magicka/Health/Stamina. Will the Max Magicka, Health, and Stamina increases stack? So that now the affected player would have ((1000*.1.1)*(1.1)) = 12100?

Thanks!
    Edited by parkham on March 29, 2017 7:21PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One a few more questions and I think I have it:

Let's say two people use Aggressive Warhorn. What effect will it have on the enemy?

Will the Major Force buff stack because different people used the buff?

Let's say an affected player has 10000 in Magicka/Health/Stamina. Will the Max Magicka, Health, and Stamina increases stack? So that now the affected player would have ((1000*.1.1)*(1.1)) = 12100?

Thanks!

No to both. The only effect two people using warhorn will have is refreshing the duration
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank