Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Secret Sex

ProfesseurFreder
ProfesseurFreder
✭✭✭✭✭
How many men out there play as women -- and how many women play as men?

My main character is pretty much reflective of me, and is an older male. But I do have three characters that I play a lot, and one of them is female. I don't think of her as reflective of me, I think of her as a character that I am playing. But I must say -- it is quite amusing to watch how young male players (I'm assuming -- and if this post is about anything, it's about how assuming is dangerous) react and try to interact with me when they _think_ I am a woman! Some of them behave like complete fools.

There's a lesson in there somewhere....

:To assume is to fool oneself." -- Charlie Chan.
"Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
-- William Faulkner.
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mainly play a female character, although I am male IRL. I've even been invited to a female-only guild, although I made sure to tell the truth about my gender, and got put into a different guild.

But something I learned to do was not to assume people's genders in ESO. I figured that most players were male, but there are a lot of female players, much more than I expected.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My main is also supposed to be like me. The next 6 toons I made were also all male, then I deleted two, and my last two are both women.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a woman and pretty much in any rpg I play as a male character. My guildmates were very surprised when they found out via Discord that I'm a gal irl. I have been suggested to use an appearance token to change my char to a female, but I don't see why I should do that.
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For MMO games, I split 50-50, although not religiously.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 4 mains, 3 are male (like me) and one is female.

None of them looks like me, i play games to escape reality, not replicate it ...
    biggrin.gif
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

None of them looks like me, i play games to escape reality, not replicate it ...
    biggrin.gif

Making the female one look like you might qualify as an escape from reality... :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Father_X_Zombie
    Father_X_Zombie
    ✭✭✭✭
    The title of the thread made me say WTF? :s

Anyone else?
    Edited by Father_X_Zombie on March 25, 2017 1:18AM
    GT: AK x Zombie

Marcurio Avidius - Breton Sorcerer - The Flawless Conquerer - General
    Raven Avidius - Imperial Nightblade - Stormproof
    Cicero Avidius - Imperial Templar - First Sergeant
    Audens Avidius - Breton Templar - Stormproof
    Jimi Hendrix - Redguard Dragonknight - Stormproof
    Leliana Artaine - Breton Nightblade - Stormproof
    Brutus Decinus - Imperial Sorcerer - Stormproof AD
    Wait aren't you DC - Dark elf Nightblade EP
    Achilleus Infernium - Breton Dragonknight
    Claudia Aurella - Imperial Warden
    DC NA XB1

RIP XB1 NA Chillrend 2015-2017
    Home to emp farmers and roleplayers
    Put out of its misery by Brian Wheeler

• ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The title of the thread made me say WTF? :s

Anyone else?

Made you look.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why but I always make male characters since I'm a male . I'm not really concerned who plays what just my preference .
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭

I have 6 female and 2 male characters.
    Jung believed there was an Anima & Animus side to everyone.
    PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    biggrin.gif
    Making the female one look like you might qualify as an escape from reality... :smile:
    That would probably qualify as crimes against humanity elfmanity ...
    laugh.gif
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I watched Alien I became a woman.

Seriously, this medium is not that different than any other storytelling medium. I can watch and read stories where the protagonist is not human even though I am not a hobbit and still enjoy them. I don't question myself if I secretly always wanted to be a hobbit.

Now dwarves on the other hand ...
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although a dude I have 6 male 6 female toons. But would rather stare at a female all day given the choice.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Firerock2
    Firerock2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    biggrin.gif
    That would probably qualify as crimes against humanity elfmanity ...
    laugh.gif

No such thing as a crime against elves
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given the title of this thread, it completely failed to deliver.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

But answer 21 might really surprise you!
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play both gender characters, I have done pen and paper RP for years so it hardly even crosses my mind now.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »

From past experience, i can tell you that you really don't want "Secret Sex" and "surprise" at the same time.
    All around bad idea.
    unsure.gif
  • FuriousStar
    FuriousStar
    ✭✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »

From past experience, i can tell you that you really don't want "Secret Sex" and "surprise" at the same time.
    All around bad idea.
    unsure.gif

Reminds me of a scene in Trainspotting... Lol?
    I really loathe those advertisement links...

So I spent about 2 hours chiseling a face that would resemble my own. Aaaand a month later I deleted it. So highest level toon is female, more on the elegant/80's shoulder pad, noble suit kinda gal. Two male, two female toons in all.

Main thing is, I don't game to hook up. I just game.

Edited by FuriousStar on March 25, 2017 4:07PM
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im a guy irl and always played a guy. If you wanna genderbend go for it buddy.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I must say -- it is quite amusing to watch how young male players (.../...) react and try to interact with me when they _think_ I am a woman! Some of them behave like complete fools.

What server do you play on ?
    I am a woman, on PC/EU, play mostly female characters (even though I have 2 male characters too) and never ever had any other player acting like Tex Avery's wolf, or anything comparable.

• ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I must say -- it is quite amusing to watch how young male players (.../...) react and try to interact with me when they _think_ I am a woman! Some of them behave like complete fools.

What server do you play on ?
    I am a woman, on PC/EU, play mostly female characters (even though I have 2 male characters too) and never ever had any other player acting like Tex Avery's wolf, or anything comparable.

I shouldn't have / didn't mean to / was wrong to imply that it happens all the time. Reading it again, my wording on that was quite bad.

It happened to me once. That was enough. I guess I conflated it with what I've seen, experienced (and how I myself have behaved in my younger, dumber days) in the real world,

Actually it's quite rare that anyone tries to interact with me no matter what face I happen to be wearing....

Looking over the responses, it seems to me that the roleplayers and storytellers among us are more likely to have a character or two of the opposite gender than those who simply play the game on its own level, for its own sake, and who do not think of their avatar as a character per se.

FuriousStar, I don't play to "hook up" either. I'm about the most anti-social player in Tamriel. I can't chat and fight monsters at the same time.

The most common "social interaction" I get in the game is when a total stranger and I somehow end up fighting the same monster -- and then when it's dead there's an odd moment when the two toons sort of stand there staring at each other; nothing is said, and then we both go our own separate ways.
    -- William Faulkner.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm male. When creating the toon, I knew that I was going to see it hours on end, so I choose to rather look at a pretty female toon than at a guy. I prefer to look at pretty girls in real life, so I couldn't see what it should be different ingame.

The only times I interact with other players apart from combat chatter is when I see someone with a username that is reminiscent of Afrikaans. Its always nice to meet fellow South Africans ingame.
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    malicia wrote: »
    I'm male. When creating the toon, I knew that I was going to see it hours on end, so I choose to rather look at a pretty female toon than at a guy. I prefer to look at pretty girls in real life, so I couldn't see what it should be different ingame.

The only times I interact with other players apart from combat chatter is when I see someone with a username that is reminiscent of Afrikaans. Its always nice to meet fellow South Africans ingame.

I'm sorry man. I'm sure you are being truthful but this always strikes me as an excuse to genderbemd when i see it.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eirikir wrote: »
    malicia wrote: »

I'm sorry man. I'm sure you are being truthful but this always strikes me as an excuse to genderbemd when i see it.

I kinda know what you mean, in that I usually roll my eyes when I hear this uber-hetero reasoning, mainly because it seems so practiced and a little defensive lol. Why not just say you wanna play as a woman?
    PC | EU
  • AdriRaven
    AdriRaven
    ✭✭✭
    As a fella out of game, eleven of my twelve character slots are ladies. I don't really have an excuse, not even the stereotypical "I like looking at ladies' rears". I just think my ladies are more interesting than my gents. Although my secondary account may end up with more dudes in it...
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by an ill-tempered corvid.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kinda know what you mean, in that I usually roll my eyes when I hear this uber-hetero reasoning, mainly because it seems so practiced and a little defensive lol. Why not just say you wanna play as a woman?

Because I would be lying. Male player, female toon - two very separate entities. I've never encountered immersion in a game to the extend that I actually felt that the toon reflect me.

If you assume that I'm genderbending because I'm playing with a female toon, what then do you make of people playing with orc toons ? I doubt that all the Khajiit players have a secret desire to be cats or to have tails.

Sure, you'll get players who create toons to reflect themselves. You'll also get player who create toons to reflect who they want to be, but who they're not (think skinny geek creating a muscled hulk). You'll get players who create toons reflecting an idealized version of the girl/guy they're hoping to someday hook up with. Then you'll also get players who create a toon simply because it looks cool, for the challenge of creating a pretty orc female (whole thread here about that) or because "this one loves the way that the Khajit speaks". Assuming that everyone else are creating toons by the same reasoning as you use is a very narrow thoughtset.
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How many men out there play as women -- and how many women play as men?

My main character is pretty much reflective of me, and is an older male. But I do have three characters that I play a lot, and one of them is female. I don't think of her as reflective of me, I think of her as a character that I am playing. But I must say -- it is quite amusing to watch how young male players (I'm assuming -- and if this post is about anything, it's about how assuming is dangerous) react and try to interact with me when they _think_ I am a woman! Some of them behave like complete fools.

There's a lesson in there somewhere....

:To assume is to fool oneself." -- Charlie Chan.

I am a male in real life, but all my chars are females, because, they are pretty to look at :smiley:
    Edited by altemriel on March 28, 2017 6:28AM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's more to do with the character.

Magica Templar, sorc and NB strike me as females. So I made females.

Stam everything, magica dk and saptank all said makes to me, so I made males.