The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Finally Conformed to Heavy Armor Meta and Whoa...

• Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ultimate_Overlord I think you conveniently left out cost reduction from medium armor in your calculations :confused: also Medium armor builds can also get 16% from warlord.

[Edit]
    Nvm Just saw it lol. Im at work
    Edited by Anti_Virus on March 7, 2017 6:02PM
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Killset
    Killset
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Anti_Virus None of what you said answers my question. Heavy isnt balanced, other armor types dont even come close to it. Yes, i agree that you should be tanky in heavy, but you shouldnt also have crazy dmg by running all dmg sets and infinite sustain when investing nothing/barely anything into it.
    No one wants to be tanky in medium, but medium should at least provide you with more dmg and/or sustain, which it doesnt, not in this meta.

You seem to insist on the fact that Heavy armor isn't balanced when compared to medium.. I agree, medium is garbage. But Heavy armor is ABSOLUTELY balanced towards the state of the game... Heavy gives stamina users a fighting chance against out of control destro ults, soul assaults, proc sets (stamina and magica) and buffed destro staff damage.

Again I feel like people complain because they can't two shot medium armor users at will. And if I am forced to run Heavy because of out of control damage being thrown around, I should be able to produce enough of my own damage to fight back.

• Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Anti_Virus
    1. No one us talking about potential or maximum dmg. Ofc medium armor can potentially reach dmg higher than heavy. But in a normal pvp build which has a decent balance of survivability and dmg heavy will always be superior.
    2. Whatever you said made me lmao xD You do realize that not every passive has the value right? The fact that kust the stam portion of constitution gives more sustain than wind walker makes it incredibly op, not weak.
    Ok, math time.
    A generic heavy armor build has 16% in warlord and 6% from 2 piece medium.
    1 * 0.94 * 0.84 = 0.7896
    A generic medium build has 21% from wind walker and lets say 16% in warlord
    1 * 0.79 * 0.84 = 0.6636
    0.7896/0.6636 = 1.1898, so heavy has 19% more expensive skills
    Constitution is 500 stam regen
    500/1.1898 = 420
    So constitution stam portion in heavy gives as much sustain as 420 regen in medium.
    Wind walker with 7 medium is 28% stam regen.
    420/28 * 100 =1500
    So, in conclusion, for wind walker to provide as much sustain as stam portion of constitution you need to have 1.5k stam regen with no multipliers.
    The magicka portion of constitution is just icing on the cake, not some hybrid *** you were talking about.
    3. I didnt say wrath is better than agility, but i said that agility isnt much better than wrath considering the sacrifices you have to make.
    4. Roll isnt as good as good consistant high resistances. Why? Cause if you roll more than 3 times in a row your stam is gone. Also, heavy armor builds have a lot of spare cp since they dont invest into regen. 12% roll cost from cp, then throw on 2 well fitted pieces and you have the same roll cost as a medium build.
    And now, i will ask you to stop coming to every heavy armor thread and defending it, since you clearly dont have the numbers or experience to prove your point, you only have assumptions, feelings and troll accusations, which means nothing.

1. With 5 pieces of heavy consitution gives about 930 stam and magicka every 4 sec which would equate to 415 stam regen. Base regen is 500, 500+ 415= 915 stam regen.

- Medium increases your max stam regen by 28% with 7/7 heavy 500* .28 = 140 = 640 stam regen small right? But realistically you will not be running 500 stam regen on a medium armor build unless you gank, on my Stamina NB I run 5 pice eternal hunt 5 piece skirmisher, eternal hunt adds 129*2 stam regen to your base unless Im wrong correct me Im not to familiar with calculations in this game but: 500 + 129*2 = 758; 758* .28 = 970.

Or if the base is calculated first then 640 + 258 = 898 roughly 32 stam regen difference. I didn't even include cost reduction which is higher than heavy and if you play in Non CP campaigns then heavy only gets 3-6% cost reduction. Additionally if you wear at least one piece of heavy you gain 186 stam and mag every 4 secs 93 free stam and mag regen.

Constitution off sets the Cost reduction passives for medium armor. The magicka portion is not a huge benefit as I have other ways to gain magicka without it. When I get off work I'll link a vid comparing the armors you will be shocked.

2. A lot of you guys claim heavy deals more damage than medium some say wrath is better agility so I'm just putting it out there that its a ridiculous claim, heavg doesn't deal more damage than medium period on its own.

3. Constant high resistances isn't as good as Roll because Spriggins Sharpened and major fracture exist and can be stacked very high, not practical but its there. You cannot perma roll but you can reduce the cost highly by a max of 35% I believe so you can roll more often than you should.

5. I will ask you to stop QQing about heavy armor because its fine the way it is Heavy armor is not the Meta no matter how much you scream the devs know it since they have a graph I believe since September or so they had a graph proving which armor is the most popular and ironically heavy is the least popular dispite your claims that its 'OP' but hey you're right I should just relax nothing is going to happen to it the devs know better so QQ away I say.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anti_Virus wrote: »
    @Anti_Virus
    1. No one us talking about potential or maximum dmg. Ofc medium armor can potentially reach dmg higher than heavy. But in a normal pvp build which has a decent balance of survivability and dmg heavy will always be superior.
    2. Whatever you said made me lmao xD You do realize that not every passive has the value right? The fact that kust the stam portion of constitution gives more sustain than wind walker makes it incredibly op, not weak.
    Ok, math time.
    1 * 0.94 * 0.84 = 0.7896
    1 * 0.79 * 0.84 = 0.6636
    500/1.1898 = 420
    So constitution stam portion in heavy gives as much sustain as 420 regen in medium.
    420/28 * 100 =1500
    So, in conclusion, for wind walker to provide as much sustain as stam portion of constitution you need to have 1.5k stam regen with no multipliers.
    The magicka portion of constitution is just icing on the cake, not some hybrid *** you were talking about.
    3. I didnt say wrath is better than agility, but i said that agility isnt much better than wrath considering the sacrifices you have to make.
    4. Roll isnt as good as good consistant high resistances. Why? Cause if you roll more than 3 times in a row your stam is gone. Also, heavy armor builds have a lot of spare cp since they dont invest into regen. 12% roll cost from cp, then throw on 2 well fitted pieces and you have the same roll cost as a medium build.
    And now, i will ask you to stop coming to every heavy armor thread and defending it, since you clearly dont have the numbers or experience to prove your point, you only have assumptions, feelings and troll accusations, which means nothing.

1. With 5 pieces of heavy consitution gives about 930 stam and magicka every 4 sec which would equate to 415 stam regen. Base regen is 500, 500+ 415= 915 stam regen.

- Medium increases your max stam regen by 28% with 7/7 heavy 500* .28 = 140 = 640 stam regen small right? But realistically you will not be running 500 stam regen on a medium armor build unless you gank, on my Stamina NB I run 5 pice eternal hunt 5 piece skirmisher, eternal hunt adds 129*2 stam regen to your base unless Im wrong correct me Im not to familiar with calculations in this game but: 500 + 129*2 = 758; 758* .28 = 970.

Or if the base is calculated first then 640 + 258 = 898 roughly 32 stam regen difference. I didn't even include cost reduction which is higher than heavy and if you play in Non CP campaigns then heavy only gets 3-6% cost reduction. Additionally if you wear at least one piece of heavy you gain 186 stam and mag every 4 secs 93 free stam and mag regen.

Constitution off sets the Cost reduction passives for medium armor. The magicka portion is not a huge benefit as I have other ways to gain magicka without it. When I get off work I'll link a vid comparing the armors you will be shocked.

2. A lot of you guys claim heavy deals more damage than medium some say wrath is better agility so I'm just putting it out there that its a ridiculous claim, heavg doesn't deal more damage than medium period on its own.

3. Constant high resistances isn't as good as Roll because Spriggins Sharpened and major fracture exist and can be stacked very high, not practical but its there. You cannot perma roll but you can reduce the cost highly by a max of 35% I believe so you can roll more often than you should.

5. I will ask you to stop QQing about heavy armor because its fine the way it is Heavy armor is not the Meta no matter how much you scream the devs know it since they have a graph I believe since September or so they had a graph proving which armor is the most popular and ironically heavy is the least popular dispite your claims that its 'OP' but hey you're right I should just relax nothing is going to happen to it the devs know better so QQ away I say.

I think people forget that heavy builds can run food instead of drink which is almost 500 additional weapon damage worth of stam or mag as well as having a bigger resource pool to attack with.

Constant high resistance is better than both a damage shield and roll dodge because it's passive defense that doesn't cost resources it also saves you resources by relieving pressure. And it's not like heavy can't dodge at all. It's not going to hurt you you if you dodge once or twice.

Heavy armor isn't meta but it is very much meta for all min/max PvP builds. You rarely ever come across good players who aren't using heavy
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Anti_Virus
    Ok, math time.
    1 * 0.94 * 0.84 = 0.7896
    1 * 0.79 * 0.84 = 0.6636
    500/1.1898 = 420
    420/28 * 100 =1500

1. Blocking, sprinting, sneaking - no stam regen at all. Add magicka abilities that can trade the surplus magicka to stamina and you are well above what you get from medium armor.
    2. Tbh without huge penetration, in 1v1, heavy armor probably deals more damage to medium armor than medium to heavy. But overall, yes medium armor is has higher damage ceiling. Nobody can disagree with that.
    3. You can roll in heavy armor too. Spriggan/sharpened/major fracture affect medium armor too. But it is obviously based on playstyle. Using dodge roll uses stamina, using it more often uses more and more stamina. It is obviously better defensive wise than simple resistance, but it is properly paid for. Also undodgable spells exists (more and more of them).
    4. Where is 4
    5. Heavy armor is (probably) fine the way it is. It however IS meta. Graph is old, heavy armor definitely got more popular and even if it didnt, it just proves usage stats not meta stats. Average players uses heavy armor coz tanky and medium armor coz sneaky rogue. There will never be great difference in armor usage unless one is very very bad/OP. Case in point, I have both my characters on medium, yet I argue with you here against medium. (But Im going to give heavy another go soon)
    6. Bonus point. I have yet to see anyone in this game since 1T claim stuff you do. Most either have no clue or agree on heavy armor. Either you are genius or...
    Edited by SodanTok on March 7, 2017 10:49PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamicka wrote: »
    Ashamray wrote: »
    I like Heavy armor. Nerfing of it will result into a direct nerf to templars and DKs because these classes has little escape and take all dangers face to face. Both don't need nerf.
    Some PvP adjustments is needed to buff medium armor without affecting PvE DPS seriously. Next direct damage after roll dodge is mitigated for a second? Duration of roll dodge evasion increased? Something.

All the armors are balanced,

All these people claiming heavy armor is OP are trolls

Medium gives
    - Crit chance
    - WD
    - Dodge roll cost reduction
    - sneak cost reduction
    - Dodge chance

In terms of dmg
    LA>MA> HA

Survivability
    Medium = HEAVY > LIGHT

The Demographics of Armor use in Cyrodiil favor magicka builds since they always been the most popular followed by medium and heavy last.

Anyone claiming other wise is using anecdotal evidence and should't be taken seriously.

Medium:
    Crit chance- not that important for pvp
    WD- wrath passive adds a good amount of WD
    Dodge roll passive- Dodge roll isn't needed often if you're tanky
    Sneak reductions- only really matters if you gank
    Dodge chance- available to heavy armor users

So yea heavy is better in every way for pvp we aren't trolling.

Crit chance is still important. Just a stat you shouldn't stack like WD/Stam or expect to get you that "instant kill". For healing purposes it's still a great stat so you can be more dmg focused and it lets itself more to prolonged fights/crit builds than direct dmg/big dmg.

Wraith adds dmg based on being hit. And has to stack so ideally if classes don't have the tanky Passives, running HA might be detrimental to your build. It's just a playstyle; run 5 HA if you like to wait to build up "rage" like a beserker or run 5 medium if you like to deal more instant dmg, fast paced characters.

Dodge chance can be found via a few sources that relate to tanks pending on builds. Even magicka tanks have a set (spectre eye) for some dodge roll.

Dodge roll, is great, but sucks if you don't have the stamina to keep doing that.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Ultimate_Overlord
    Ultimate_Overlord
    ✭✭✭
    @Anti_Virus your calculations are wrong, im not even sure what you were even trying to calculate.
    I did a full comparison of constitution vs wind walker and proved that constitution is op.
    Everyone else here proved everything else you said wrong once again, so no need to mention other points.
    And heavy armor IS meta, do you even pvp?
    @Killset Ill have to disagree with you. You are comparing heavy to other broken mechanics, that doesnt make it balanced, but only proves that its broken as well.
    Edited by Ultimate_Overlord on March 8, 2017 10:02AM
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Anti_Virus
    Ok, math time.
    1 * 0.94 * 0.84 = 0.7896
    1 * 0.79 * 0.84 = 0.6636
    500/1.1898 = 420
    420/28 * 100 =1500

1. Blocking, sprinting, sneaking - no stam regen at all. Add magicka abilities that can trade the surplus magicka to stamina and you are well above what you get from medium armor.
    2. Tbh without huge penetration, in 1v1, heavy armor probably deals more damage to medium armor than medium to heavy. But overall, yes medium armor is has higher damage ceiling. Nobody can disagree with that.
    3. You can roll in heavy armor too. Spriggan/sharpened/major fracture affect medium armor too. But it is obviously based on playstyle. Using dodge roll uses stamina, using it more often uses more and more stamina. It is obviously better defensive wise than simple resistance, but it is properly paid for. Also undodgable spells exists (more and more of them).
    4. Where is 4
    5. Heavy armor is (probably) fine the way it is. It however IS meta. Graph is old, heavy armor definitely got more popular and even if it didnt, it just proves usage stats not meta stats. Average players uses heavy armor coz tanky and medium armor coz sneaky rogue. There will never be great difference in armor usage unless one is very very bad/OP. Case in point, I have both my characters on medium, yet I argue with you here against medium. (But Im going to give heavy another go soon)
    6. Bonus point. I have yet to see anyone in this game since 1T claim stuff you do. Most either have no clue or agree on heavy armor. Either you are genius or...

If you can prove that heavy is the meta with a graph of your own I would like to see it other wise all your 'evidence' is anecdotal.

Keep on QQing though you will be doing that for a long time.

@Ultimate_Overload
    Edited by Anti_Virus on March 8, 2017 4:03PM
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killset wrote: »
    @Anti_Virus None of what you said answers my question. Heavy isnt balanced, other armor types dont even come close to it. Yes, i agree that you should be tanky in heavy, but you shouldnt also have crazy dmg by running all dmg sets and infinite sustain when investing nothing/barely anything into it.
    No one wants to be tanky in medium, but medium should at least provide you with more dmg and/or sustain, which it doesnt, not in this meta.

You seem to insist on the fact that Heavy armor isn't balanced when compared to medium.. I agree, medium is garbage. But Heavy armor is ABSOLUTELY balanced towards the state of the game... Heavy gives stamina users a fighting chance against out of control destro ults, soul assaults, proc sets (stamina and magica) and buffed destro staff damage.

Again I feel like people complain because they can't two shot medium armor users at will. And if I am forced to run Heavy because of out of control damage being thrown around, I should be able to produce enough of my own damage to fight back.

This, Medium armor builds and in particular NBs are the stealth rouge class which has a playstyle that is ganking/hit and run. Medium armor compliments that playstyle however not all NBs like to gank and I understand that but medium armor can't be heavy armor it has a place like heavy. There is nothing stopping them from running heavy armor on their NBs but the class isn't designed that way, DKs and Templars were classes designed around heavy armor since they are front line fighters.

This is what NBs want to do and they can but not by wearing medium armor. Stam DKs can still be successful wearing medium armor something that these guys seem to forget.

The devs claim 'play as you want' but you really can't no matter what you do it seems that builds cannot escape the Archtype that the classes were built around. You can build around these archtypes but its best/ optimal to follow them.
    - Sorc = Light armor glass cannon dps
    - NB = Medium armor glass cannon dps
    - DK = Heavy armor tank/dps
    - Templar = Heavy armor Dps/Healer

They are missing a ranger archetype( changing with the Warden) so Archer builds completely blow atm which sucks because I love archer builds.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% of the time my burst damage doesn't do much (as a mageblade) so I stealth the *** out and leave in those situations. I feel like mageblades really have no upper hand on much of anything except being able to cloak out forever. The strongest build I had was the Vicious Death/Proxy Det/Soul Tether combo but that stopped doing much damage after heavy armor became a thing for everyone. That was so much fun to play a year ago.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Wreuntzylla
      Wreuntzylla
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

Light and Medium should have improved resources,

They do...
      Somebody else on these forums (whose name I can't recall atm) had a good idea of nerfing Sharpened (say reducing it to 2500 pen instead of the 5000 pen it currently is) and then readding that pen to light/medium armor passives. Wouldn't affect PVE DPS numbers and would make light/medium more appealing, and would make the trade off of light/medium for damage, heavy for defense more clear.

Light already grants a large penetration 5pc bonus...

Folks, not to be overly critical, but non-pug groups are taking your 42k resists and trashing them, wrath is not making you a dps machine and the constitution passive isn't remotely as good as people claim.

What makes heavy armor great is health, health recovery and healing received. If you are not a believer, try pairing troll kings and orgnums, and get back to me.

• SodanTok
      SodanTok
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      @Anti_Virus
      Ok, math time.
      1 * 0.94 * 0.84 = 0.7896
      1 * 0.79 * 0.84 = 0.6636
      500/1.1898 = 420
      420/28 * 100 =1500

4. Where is 4

If you can prove that heavy is the meta with a graph of your own I would like to see it other wise all your 'evidence' is anecdotal.

Keep on QQing though you will be doing that for a long time.

@Ultimate_Overload

I think you fail on your understanding of what meta means. Heavy armor could be worst armor in the game AND least used armor in the game, but if all best and well known players 'conspire" together to present heavy armor as the best (and use it)... heavy armor will be meta. And that is what is happening currently. Except the 'conspire' part, because it would be stupid to use worse armor just like that, so the best and the wellknown not only say heavy is better, they actually think it is.

Also constantly saying heavy isnt better, yet also saying medium armor is ganking armor doesnt work very well for your defense. And lets not forget you can use math to prove it.
      Edited by SodanTok on March 8, 2017 7:25PM
    • thankyourat
      thankyourat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      If I'm wearing heavy armor I can one shot anyone in light or medium and they can't one shot me back. That's a simple way to show the effectiveness of heavy armor
    • Killset
      Killset
      ✭✭✭✭
      If I'm wearing heavy armor I can one shot anyone in light or medium and they can't one shot me back. That's a simple way to show the effectiveness of heavy armor

I want to see that

• thankyourat
      thankyourat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Killset wrote: »

I want to see that

I can't make videos. I'll tell you my heavy armor build. It's 5 spinner/5 alchemist/2 Kena or skoria. Fully buffed I'm at around 27k spell resistance 25k physical resistance and around 4500 SD with Kena and around 3800 SD with skoria and 800 regen but that's irrelevant. A soul tether into a spectral bow combo from that much spell damage and that much spell pen is going to kill almost anyone in medium or light armor. that's easily 22k in instant damage if it all crits plus the dots that's tickings. On the flip side good luck trying to burst me down while I have 25k plus resistances. Try the build out if you don't believe it.
    • Killset
      Killset
      ✭✭✭✭
      @Anti_Virus your calculations are wrong, im not even sure what you were even trying to calculate.
      I did a full comparison of constitution vs wind walker and proved that constitution is op.
      Everyone else here proved everything else you said wrong once again, so no need to mention other points.
      And heavy armor IS meta, do you even pvp?
      @Killset Ill have to disagree with you. You are comparing heavy to other broken mechanics, that doesnt make it balanced, but only proves that its broken as well.

Then talk about how to fix those other broken things. Heavy armor is a symptom of a much bigger problem and that problem is classes being able to produce entirely too much damage. If damage in this game is the cold then Heavy armor is the runny nose. But it seems people don't want their class nerfed, just the other guys.

I am in no way saying this is you, but I feel like a lot of people will post on these forums complaining that Heavy does too much damage for the survivability that it provides but what they really mean to say is that they should not be able to survive my damage while being able to damage me in return.

Sorcs (built and played properly) are insanely tanky and generate ridiculous burst. Mag DK's are just stupid powerful at the moment. Stamplars (wait till they start catching on) are crazy. Wait till you get hit with an 8.6k Power of the Light, Jabs you can't dodge, and Selene's, it's awesome!

You say Heavy is broken?.. I say it's working perfectly until such time as damage from several classes gets hammered back in line. If you want to examine and pontificate on how you fix PvP in ESO I suggest you start there.

Edited by Killset on March 8, 2017 9:12PM