Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Returning player

Asmodael99
Asmodael99
Soul Shriven
Hi. Just returned from a long break and totally overwhelmed by the content. I am now CP 10 and have literally no clue where to start. I have Eso Plus. So maybe you can help me out with couple of things:

- Is it worth now to finish the main story line, Cadwell Silver and Gold?
- Where should I start leveling my CP without grinding?
- I have these undaunted quests. But players require like cp 600 to clear it and I will probably never find a group.
- I would like to play as a Templar Bow/Heal. I searched around but I could not find any good recent spec with gear recommendation.

Any help is much appreciated. :)
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asmodael99 wrote: »
    Hi. Just returned from a long break and totally overwhelmed by the content. I am now CP 10 and have literally no clue where to start. I have Eso Plus. So maybe you can help me out with couple of things:

- I have these undaunted quests. But players require like cp 600 to clear it and I will probably never find a group.
    - I would like to play as a Templar Bow/Heal. I searched around but I could not find any good recent spec with gear recommendation.

Any help is much appreciated. :)

If you like the stories, if you are a completionist, or want the extra XP/skill points, then yes. But all of them run concurrently now, so the order of doing each Alliance and even some parts for each Alliance storyline are up to you.

See above. You can also do the main quest of any DLC zones, and the side quests of any zone. It's easier to try to complete one zone at a time if you need some structure and a starting point. There are also in-game holiday events that give double XP now however you earn it. Not sure of the date the next one starts.

You can get a group with the group finder, as many more players do group dungeons now for gear set drops (each dungeon, including the Part I and Part II, have a few unique 5-pc sets and a 2-pc monster set). And if you were around way before, what used to be the normal and veteran versions of the original group dungeons are now called Part I and Part II. Normal and vet now only refer to the level of difficulty, and you can run both Parts I and II on either normal or vet.

That said, some rude people will kick low CP players from group finder parties. So it's better to look up a guild on your platform that accepts people of all levels for dungeon runs. Here is an example of such a guild for PC-NA. Look for something similar for your platform/region.

Most hybrid (stamina + magicka) builds died out a while back due to changes in how the game works (like adding the champion system, removing soft caps on stats, etc.) as well as changes to ability cost (all abilities used to cost magicka even if they did physical damage but now those cost stamina) and changes to gear set bonuses (they nearly all stack magicka, stamina, or health related bonuses like max stat, damage with that stat, recovery of that stat, etc.). You can be tanky hybrid (magicka+health or stamina+health), but that's about it right now.

As to the setup you specifically mentioned, bow abilities cost stamina and heavy attacks with bows return stamina, so these are used by stamina-based damage dealers. I've seen a magicka templar using a bow in Imperial City for PvP but only to get the speed bonus that you receive after roll-dodging with a bow, not for damage. Most abilities either scale in effectiveness off of either stamina or magicka, and 95% of healing abilities are magicka-based.

If you want the bow just for the look, keep a resto staff on the other bar to help you heal and restore magicka, and be prepared for people to wonder why you would slot a bow as a magicka-based healer build. Some healers do have dual wield swords on the non-restoration staff bar because they buff spell power for some reason, but they don't use any dual wield skill line abilities. The bow though, people won't really understand unless they are friends or guildmates because they will see it as non-optimal.
    Edited by tinythinker on February 25, 2017 2:36PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, forgot some things, but my first reply is already long enough.

1. No, not everyone is obsesses with the most optimal builds, but even those who aren't might think you don't understand basic game mechanics if they don't understand what your intent is. If you have the right gear, the right abilities on your bar, etc., a magicka templar ("magplar") can easily have an ornamental weapon on the off-bar for things like basic Undaunted quests for group dungeons. But for things like trials, it won't be viable.

2. Stamina templars ("stamplars") have really weak healing if they try to use the magicka-based healing abilities from their class skill line or from a restoration staff. They do have access, though, to a morph of an ability called Vigor, a morph called Echoing Vigor, that is stamina-based and heals the caster and a few other players who are near the caster as a heal-over-time ability (HoT). But, this isn't cost-efficient or powerful enough to take the place of all of the options that magicka-based healers have unless the content is really easy and the other players in the group melt everything in a couple of seconds.

3. There has been completely unfounded speculation that the new class coming this summer, Warden, might have stamina-based morphs of its healing abilities. Again, there is no basis for that, but it shows that there is interest among players other than yourself in carrying a bow while healing your allies.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Asmodael99
    Asmodael99
    Soul Shriven
    Great feedback! Thanks a lot. I was not aware of the Bow thing...too bad. But I will try something else then.
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    I am a cp600 and leader of a guild dedicated to running lower cp players through dungeons and other content that others may not do with them.

Play the game for cp. sewers is a blast and you'll get rich with all the things tel var can get you. Dungeons on vet and normal give Xp and skill points, do the random daily dungeon on normal for ~400k xp if ur enlightened, and do new content like normal maelstrom, joining normal trials, doing world bosses, skyshards hunting.

And for Templar, choose magic or stam. Bow and healing staff won't accomplish much on either end of the dps or healing spectrum. Put most of your attribute points in magicka (cuz stamsorc is not so great atm) and choose dps or heals :)

Message me for guild invite, no dues, free mats for armor, and we will carry you through any dungeons you want.
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Play how you want, but choose magicka or stamina as your 'base.' Splitting attribute points makes you twice as bad at both whereas putting 62+ in one makes you 4x better at what you choose.

Mag is better at dps and heals. You can also heal primarily, but slot an execute that hits really really hard (even after the patch...) so you can heal, but be creative in when you choose to dps.

Lastly, healers are always wanted, and as long as you aren't shooting a bow on your magicka healer, people will always want to play with you. All endgame content requires a healer, trials must have two (usually). So if you get good, you'll be in demand
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Last thing- resto staff and lightning staff.

Level both up, unlock steadfast (healing) ward, healing springs (morph of one of them), rapid regen or mutagen (regeneration morph)

Level destro till you get elemental susceptibility (u want elemental drain morph) and the. Just class skills

-Breath of life, the aoe one, and the rune
    -biting jabs morphed to heal you, toppling charge,
    -for dps get vampires bane and dark flare. Nova ultimate

Hmu for more detailed stuff! Wear Julianos and willpower to start out! Grothdar or engine guardian until you get endgame trial gear like infal and other stuff like spell power cure or worm cult
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to level healing skills, healing at dolmens is very nice.
    Its not so good for xp unless you are 3-6 players but nice for leveling skills.

You can also have healing staff on back bar and switch then delivering quests.
    As other say get into an friendly guild, its probably the most important thing, you can be in 5 as before so try them out.

And its no reason to do one thing only, do all sort of stuff. Got my templar to level 50 today, as alts get the champion points of main this one was 207, one dungeon, one raid and one failed raid later and 220 :)

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.