Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Is being vamp or werewolf tank a good idea?

Gordon906
Gordon906
✭✭✭
I'm imperial templar and I was wonder if it as worth it to have either vamp or werewolf curse. And am I allow or ask for bites in forums? Stam tank btw

Best Answer

• paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon906 wrote: »
    Danksta wrote: »
    Vamp is nice for tanking because of the extra regen and undeath passives.

But you have to feed and there are negative passives such as less regeneration and taking more fire range

Health regen is the most useless stat in the game outside of PvP, and so for a PvE Tank that will not matter one single bit. And a proper tank will have enough mitigation that the extra fire damage will be almost undetected. Almost every single end game trial tank is a vampire.

If you want to know more about how the fire weakness effects you as a tank in regards to mitigation then I suggest looking at my thread about mitigation(Recently updated): https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-and-list-of-options/p1

So vampire tank isn't viable in PvP?

No its viable. Health regen is good in PvP but not in PvE but it doesn't mean that Health regen is 100% necessary in PvP. You can do a build that doesn't have that much of it and still survive really well.
    Answer ✓
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Never any reason to go Werewolf as tank but there is also no reason not to go as vamp except for cosmetic reasons.
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vamp drain = fast ulti generation. With Tavas and bloodspawn I can have permanent warhorn (not the crit bonus just the health bar).
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭

But you have to feed and there are negative passives such as less regeneration and taking more fire range
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Health regen is the most useless stat in the game outside of PvP, and so for a PvE Tank that will not matter one single bit. And a proper tank will have enough mitigation that the extra fire damage will be almost undetected. Almost every single end game trial tank is a vampire.

If you want to know more about how the fire weakness effects you as a tank in regards to mitigation then I suggest looking at my thread about mitigation(Recently updated): https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-and-list-of-options/p1
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭

So vampire tank isn't viable in PvP?
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some tanks like the undeath passives from being a vampire.
    To be a vampire successfully, though, it needs to be an integral part of the build, because the features never disappear, even if you don't have any skills slotted.

Some tanks like to be a werewolf because it allows them to use their stamina pool to do damage in situations where a tank is not needed or useful. (For example, untauntable bosses like the last boss of Direfrost, the guy in Volenfell before he summons the gargoyle, most of Darkshade II... Just be aware of any fight involving poison damage!) You cannot taunt in werewolf form, so if you are wearing fur you may be "tanky" but you are not a tank while transformed.
    Werewolf, if you pull the ultimate off your bar you are the same as if you aren't a werewolf, so no harm in trying it out. I have a dps who is a werewolf solely so she can bite people for free.
    Edited by SolarCat02 on February 24, 2017 9:57PM
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SolarCat02 wrote: »
    Some tanks like the undeath passives from being a vampire.
    To be a vampire successfully, though, it needs to be an integral part of the build, because the features never disappear, even if you don't have any skills slotted.

Some tanks like to be a werewolf because it allows them to use their stamina pool to do damage in situations where a tank is not needed or useful. (For example, untauntable bosses like the last boss of Direfrost, the guy in Volenfell before he summons the gargoyle, most of Darkshade II... Just be aware of any fight involving poison damage!) You cannot taunt in werewolf form, so if you are wearing fur you may be "tanky" but you are not a tank while transformed.
    Werewolf, if you pull the ultimate off your bar you are the same as if you aren't a werewolf, so no harm in trying it out. I have a dps who is a werewolf solely so she can bite people for free.

There is no need to build for dungeon content at the moment, things are so easy to tank that if you want to make a tank build it should be for Trials. And there is no reason to be a werewolf in trials cause if you stop blocking or stop taunting then people are going to die. And the increase in recovery and the undeath passive is without trying an "integral part" of any build using vampirism. You don't even have to "build" for the fire weakness, the average tanks mitigation will be more than enough to cover it. Only think you got to care about is the vampires pale look and red eyes.