Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cheap Housing as free transport and nearby conveniences (with locations, costs, maps, features)

runagate
runagate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I spent 110k gold to get a total of 7 homes thus far (3 are the free inn rooms in each Alliance). I can still afford a Classic Home but even the two that appeal to me, Domus Phrasticus (mostly because it's in Craglorn) and Mourmoth Keep (mostly because the Wayshrine is literally outside the door) I haven't dropped the gold on. Mostly because it occurred to me to analyze the cheap housing in this way.

I made my "primary" residence the Snugpod in Grahtwood for 45k gold - even though I don't have anything in there. This is solely for convenience of my friends who want a free port to the AD Undaunted Enclave, Outlaw Refuge or stablemaster or just Grahtwood in general, even when I'm offline.

Snugpod.png

Then I spent 40k on Humblemud in Bal Foyen. "A mud house is a constant reminder of the impermanence of life, and that we are but standing waves in the river of existence. But one still wishes it to look nice and comfortable, and decorates accordingly." This is the one I actually decorated and put stuff in. It has the advantage of having ALL crafting stations you might need right outside the door in a quiet little place with no toxic zone chat. In fact, there's almost never any zone chat. I think the guild trader there is about to get some better business than it used to. Only newbies go to Bal Foyen and once you build platforms up to see the scenery it's quite lovely. You can even see a Tower off in the distance, and get some nice embers and ash falling occasionally from over in Stonefalls. The cons are no banker (don't care, I have the Assistant) and the Wayshrine is a bit outside of town.

[ edit ] I can't believe I didn't notice this before but there's a Banker here, too, for your Guild Trader selling needs. It's right next to the Dye Station! There's also eight Strongboxes for the larcenous. [/ edit ]

Humblemud.png

You can spend from 11 to 13k on the cheapest Apartments in addition to getting the rooms in Inns for each Alliance for free each of which is essentially a "free wayshrine".

Apartments

Flaming Nix Deluxe Garret - Mournhold, Deshaan, 13,000 gold (EP Undaunted Enclave)

Flaming_Nix_Map.png

Sisters of the Sands Apartment - Sentinel, Alik'r Desert, 12,000 gold

Sister_of_the_Sands_Apartment.png

Barbed Hook Private Room - Skywatch, Auridon, 11,000 gold (I didn't get this one as I have one in Auridon but I might get it with my next ESO+ as it's only 800 crowns furnished and there are 5 guild traders there) but there's not really any reason to go to Skywatch anyway.

Inns

Mara's Kiss Public House - Vulkhel Guard, Auridon

Mara_s_Kiss_Public_House.png

The Rosy Lion - Daggerfall, Glenumbra

The_Rosy_Lion.png

The Ebony Flask Inn Room - Ebonheart, Stonefalls

The_Ebony_Flask_Inn_Room.png

Sadly, the closest to the DC Outlaw Refuge is Gardner House, for 1,015,000 gold. The primary thing I can say about this place is that it is in a place you'd otherwise never go. 3 floors, dark and ugly (at least it has a basement) and an L-shaped courtyard that ends in a dingy little stable. I suspect it will not be popular and it's not really convenient to anything.

Long story short:
  1. Humblepod is the best deal for getting nearby craft stations and serenity for 40k
  2. Snugpod is the best deal for nearby AD Undaunted Enclave and Outlaw Refuge for 45k
  3. Mara's Kiss is by far the best free room in an Inn as the Wayshrine is most convenient of all for new players
  4. The Flaming Nix is the best deal for the EP due to it being the only option for the EP Undaunted Enclave at 13k
  5. There is simply nothing good and cheap in the DC zones but I guess you can get the free Rosy Lion room in Daggerfall which isn't absurdly far from a wayshrine
  6. DC really needs a cheap apartment in dock area somewhere south of the Chironasium or the close bit of Dreughside near the Undaunted Enclave
  7. Sister of the Sands in Sentinel appears to be the least annoying walk to a bank of any of the free or cheap homes
Edited by runagate on February 9, 2017 11:26PM
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Humblemud - Dhalmora, Bal Foyen
    1. All crafting stations right outside the door
    2. single guild trader and achievement furnisher
    • Somewhat inconvenient Wayshrine a bit south of map shown

Snugpod - Elden Root, Grahtwood
    1. Stablemaster
    2. Outlaw Refuge
    3. AD Undaunted Enclave
    4. Caravan to Auridon, Greenshade, Deshaan, Stormhaven
    5. Primary AD guild traders
    LESS CONVENIENT
    • Capitol City crafting stations, NPC vendors, etc. least convenient of the capitols
    • Two delves, 2 world bosses, one public dungeon

Flaming Nix - Mournhold, Deshaan
    1. Brewer, Chef, Merchant, Cooking Fire
    2. All crafting tables and craft merchants
    3. Wayshrine
    4. EP guild traders
    5. Outlaw Refuge, Shadowy Supplier
    LESS CONVENIENT
    • Bank, Shrines, Capitol Achievement Furnishers
    • Boatswain to Shadowfen, Sthonefalls, Grahtwood, Stormhaven
    • Mage's Guild and Fighter's Guild
    • Stablemaster
    • EP Outlaw Refuge

Sisters of the Sands Apartment - Sentinel, Alik'r Desert
    1. Outlaw Refuge
    2. Bank
    LESS CONVENIENT
    • All crafting stations and vendor NPCs
    • Stablemaster
    • 5 Alik'r guild traders
    • Wayshrine
    • Boatswain to Rivenspire, Bangkorai, Eastmarch and Malabal Tor

The Ebony Flask Inn Room - Ebonheart, Stonefalls
    1. 5 EP guild traders
    2. Wayshrine
    3. Alchemy and Enchanting tables and Dye Station
    LESS CONVENIENT
    • The other crafting tables, stablemaster

The Rosy Lion - Daggerfall, Glenumbra
    1. Wayshrine
    2. Achievement furnisher
    3. Caravan to Wrothgar
    4. 5 DC Guild Traders
    LESS CONVENIENT
    • Outlaw Refuge
    • Stablemaster
    • Crafting stations and NPC vendors
    • Bank
    • Botswains to Khenarthi's Roost, Gold Coast, Stormhaven, Bangkorai, Stros M'kai, Auridon, Stonefalls, Davon's Watch, Vulkhel Guard
      2 delves, a world boss and a public dungeon
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent post. I'm actually thinking of giving Humblemud a second look now. She may look like a turd on the surface (literally), but she's definitely got it where it counts. And the price is right too. And once you get past the *** house, that courtyard is gorgeous.

In real estate it's not about how your house smells; it's about location, location, location! ;)

Edited by Pallmor on February 8, 2017 9:42PM
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pallmor wrote: »
    Excellent post. I'm actually thinking of giving Humblemud a second look now. She may look like a turd on the surface (literally), but she's definitely got it where it counts. And the price is right too. And once you get past the *** house, that courtyard is gorgeous.

In real estate it's not about how your house smells; it's about location, location, location! ;)

Humblemud_1.png

Humblemud_2.png

Humblemud_courtyard.png

Humblemud_external.png

Humblemud_roof_view.png

Humblemud_town_view.png

• Lithium Flower
    Lithium Flower
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like most of the houses in the update and some of them are gorgeous. There's something for almost everyone at every price point.

However, 110k spent to save gold (146g - 900g) on wayshrine charges when you can bypass that by teleporting to a friend or guildmate is a rather baffling way to save.

Instead consider:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1454-EasyTravel.html
    Dragonknight Smith of the Lith | Rayna Dreloth
    Templar Josephine Belmont | Catherine Belmont | Irene Belmont
    Sorceror Blathanna | Eta Carina
    Nightblade Adda Vorenor

Ebonheart Pact | Daggerfall Covenant | EU | Champion Points ~ 800 | Crafter of all things
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been trying to figure out what house to set as Primary for the benefit of my Guild, as they can't seem to use the houses unless I am in it. While the obvious choice is Snugpod for the reasons you mentioned, you and I are in the same guild so I don't need to do that.

Maybe Humblepod for the Crafting Stations and I will install my Banker in the house.
    Edited by Nestor on February 8, 2017 11:02PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Props to the OP for researching all of this. Personally, the house right outside of Rawl 'Kha is the only one I need. Crafting, bank, traders, dueling, and tons of strong boxes, there's a reason it's always the hottest place in Tamriel.

In terms of free transit, the method most people used before Homestead was to port to guildmates. There's actually an addon for PC users that will automatically find a guildmate to port you to from your guild rosters when you right click on a zone from the list in the map window. Just be in some relatively large guilds and there will always be instant free access anywhere in the world.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like most of the houses in the update and some of them are gorgeous. There's something for almost everyone at every price point.

However, 110k spent to save gold (146g - 900g) on wayshrine charges when you can bypass that by teleporting to a friend or guildmate is a rather baffling way to save.

Instead consider:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1454-EasyTravel.html

You get your gold back in 743 saved 146g trips. When you have 12 characters doing dailies, going to the shadowy supplier, doing writs not to mention anything else I'd make that back in no time. I make 100k a day anyway, but just spend it strangely on weird ideas with Sets and such. I don't use that add-on as endgame people tend not to be standing around in places I would otherwise need a port to.

It's not merely about saving gold though. It's about new locations you can jump to and what's right nearby. The only 2 expensive houses I'm considering are not by anything.

I assure you though that if (1) you're just starting out in the game or (2) have way too many characters who are always shuttling around the time you spend on such simple things is not inconsiderable. There's a damned loading screen coming out of a free Inn room - then another shorter load to get outside. Thus Sentinel is the least annoying for getting to a bank for when your Assistant won't cut it as you need to put something in your guild trader.
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runagate, you have definitely disproven the myth that you can't polish a turd. You've shined that one into a diamond. Kudos, sir!
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I have been trying to figure out what house to set as Primary for the benefit of my Guild, as they can seem to use the houses unless I am in it. While the obvious choice is Snugpod for the reasons you mentioned, you and I are in the same guild so I don't need to do that.

Maybe Humblepod for the Crafting Stations and I will install my Banker in the house.

No, I quit LWH due to no one ever doing stuff I do at my level and because there's one evil, super-annoying person who I was sick of everyone /w me about like I could do something about it. I am 1000x happier now. Nonetheless, it's still the nicest guild ever. Since there's lot of bananas in LWH I recommend it.

Jeez, now I have to check to see if I remembered to put a Banker in Humblepod. You can put a Banker in every house, you know? Allowing for the "collectible" cap for any given house. It's not like one house can have a banker and the others can't.
  • Minute_Waltz
    Minute_Waltz
    ✭✭✭
    Correct me if im wrong, but using houses as port would essentially mean 2 loading screens (1 port into the house and 2 walk out the door) instead of 1? (port directly to wayshrine)

If thats the case then its probably worthwhile to spend the porting fee as time is money.

Or does it work like same zone travel where theres almost no loading screen when you walk out of house to the zone?
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @runagate

"Then I spent 40k on Humblemud in Bal Foyen. "A mud house is a constant reminder of the impermanence of life, and that we are but standing waves in the river of existence. But one still wishes it to look nice and comfortable, and decorates accordingly." This is the one I actually decorated and put stuff in. It has the advantage of having ALL crafting stations you might need right outside the door in a quiet little place with no toxic zone chat. In fact, there's almost never any zone chat. I think the guild trader there is about to get some better business than it used to. Only newbies go to Bal Foyen and once you build platforms up to see the scenery it's quite lovely. You can even see a Tower off in the distance, and get some nice embers and ash falling occasionally from over in Stonefalls. The cons are no banker (don't care, I have the Assistant) and the Wayshrine is a bit outside of town."

There is a banker right there across the street in Bal Foyen. its inside the "market dome" but there is no banker tag on the map, but the banker is listed when you hover over.

i took the exact same approach as you but on a slightly higher level.

Got all three freebies, got iirc two maybe three of the apartments then looked at some small and mediums.
    All chosen for location but some also for style and amenities liike yards or being subdivided.

one of my primary drives was to get quick access to as many guild trader clusters as possible - in addition to crafts.

i spent less than i would have on a single large house - around 1 mil iirc but so far i am liking the approach.

Also, i would advise that - if you are thinking of crowning in some what - consider that a single medium home if chosen well can provide furnished enough furniture to divide among several homes to get each a good "starter set" of furnishings.

But thats only if you want crowns.

Finally, the one "just had to" not for the location of stuff nearby for me was the Velothi Reverie in Narsis, Deshann.

Wayshrine is close as are merchants but no traders and limited others.

however, it is the medium house i liked its structure the most. its interior is broken into rooms spread over three floors plus an enclosed yard. Now, i love Silent Magnifico in Sentinel but those Dunmer believe in actual rooms
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Correct me if im wrong, but using houses as port would essentially mean 2 loading screens (1 port into the house and 2 walk out the door) instead of 1? (port directly to wayshrine)

If thats the case then its probably worthwhile to spend the porting fee as time is money.

Or does it work like same zone travel where theres almost no loading screen when you walk out of house to the zone?

It seems quick to me but that will vary by circumstances of different users i am sure.

they need to put something small in Belkarath proper.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pallmor wrote: »
    Runagate, you have definitely disproven the myth that you can't polish a turd. You've shined that one into a diamond. Kudos, sir!

Thanks, Pallmor. I really do like the little turd. After having seen other people's housing I realize I need (1) more weird lights (2) way more weird crystals (my bff in-game managed to make her Hunding's entranceway look like a giant glowing ***, though I don't think that was the intent and I'm very, very jealous of it now) and (3) actually nice outdoor landscaping to make terraces.

The damned *** who put up invisible walls made it so you can't get up into the weird empty space in the ceiling in Humblemud (Why!?!?!?) and the invisible ceiling outdoors is very, very low. It's not even up to the top of the onion dome of the house. So, so annoying. At least in Topal you can build up into the sky to a degree that satisfies even me. I wish housing gave access to those weird back acres that you can see once you surmount the walls.

It is a little disconcerting to look out into the town of Dhalmora and not see the little newbies running around. But maybe we'll all know the name of this boondocks.
  • Lithium Flower
    Lithium Flower
    ✭✭✭✭
    Each character gets their own quota of 146g trips. It's not like running multiple characters is adding the multiplier faster. Secondly you get loading screens, sometimes multiple ones in and out the homes and/or a pretty long walk. If you are in a big guild or two you can get a free port easily to any of the main hubs in Belkarth, Mournhold, Wayrest, Eden Root, Rawlkha, Rivenspire, Balmora or Stormhold. Most people would take care of their writs in Belkarth and head to the capitals for dailies. Banks and Merchants are conveniently located in all these places.

It'll take the better of a thousand ports before you break even and it's not less convenient because you get additional loading screens each time. Even if you have one player you can always port to, that free port puts you at a wayshrine from which you can then make another free port to any wayshrine in Tamriel.

I'm not seeking to make an argument with OP here, I'm glad you found this set up to be useful and are enjoying your little network of houses. More power to you!

But I just can't see the must-have utility of such a set up for the purpose described.
    Dragonknight Smith of the Lith | Rayna Dreloth
    Templar Josephine Belmont | Catherine Belmont | Irene Belmont
    Sorceror Blathanna | Eta Carina
    Nightblade Adda Vorenor

Ebonheart Pact | Daggerfall Covenant | EU | Champion Points ~ 800 | Crafter of all things
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought Gardner House in Wayrest and plan on putting enchanting and alchemy stations in it. My main is DC so I port to the house, do my many piddly 2 writ master writs for those then walk out the door to cash them in. Repeat as necessary. As you can only pick up one of each type of master writ at a time, it saves some walking overall.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think Quondam Indorilia is closer to mournhold undaunted conclave than the flaming nix room. but it is a lot more expensive.
  • jcf190b14_ESO
    jcf190b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sleek Creek House is my residence of choice. Outlaw Den right outside your door and all the conveniences right in town.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just pay 148 gold to port. But buying houses ummmm seems like a savings in the looooooooong run too I guess. Well sometimes I port to someone in my guild's too.
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also purchased a small house for convenience, but I went for Captain Margaux's in Daggerfall. Writ boards, bank, crafting stations and merchants right outside the door. The only cities that have everything conveniently close to a wayshrine are too busy for me to happily craft in (oh, how I miss the days before One Tamriel when I could craft in Cadwell's Gold Rawl'kha!) so I find this very handy.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That seems to differ based on whether there's an Inn involved. The Inns have absurd loading screens when going from your room to the inn. The loading screen to the house, and the one from the inn to outside, are strangely pretty quick. So cheap houses are better for that. Snugpod is quick. You port to it like you would a WS then going outside is quick. I cannot imagine why, but then there's way stranger things like the loading screen between the Davon's Watch wayshrine and the coast, right before you hit the mountain, or the subzone change right at the doorway out of Wayrest which doesn't create a loading screen but noticeably slows you down, especially if people are spamming or dueling by the Undaunted Enclave.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sleek Creek House is my residence of choice. Outlaw Den right outside your door and all the conveniences right in town.

That's good to know. I was looking at that place. Snugpod has a Outlaw Refuge right behind it and I can't see how you'd get caught walking over to it, too.
  • jcf190b14_ESO
    jcf190b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »

That's good to know. I was looking at that place. Snugpod has a Outlaw Refuge right behind it and I can't see how you'd get caught walking over to it, too.

You have me sold on Snugpud. Not only is it convenient, but there's a really good gathering circuit right outside that area as well.
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I'm on console so I didn't have access to this in game yet, but isn't the loading screen to get in/out of houses just as long as the ones to travel to a different zone?

I'm asking because, at first, for me, it looks like this will save gold, but increase the time waiting for loading screens (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm doing writs with 5 characters now, about to be 6, and I still don't think housing will help me cut the time it takes to do them all. Right now, I can do all of them in about 35 minutes starting with my Characters parked in Rawl'kha and leaving the in Craglorn after delivery.

I know this focus is on traveling, but isn't adding a new long loading screen worse than just going straigh to the main city Wayshrine?

As I said, I haven't played housing yet, so I'm more asking than saying this is not worth it. Just trying to plan my writs to be as efficient as possible time wise.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for this. I was trying to figure out which houses to buy based solely on convenience but wasn't sure.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    hugocbp wrote: »
    So, I'm on console so I didn't have access to this in game yet, but isn't the loading screen to get in/out of houses just as long as the ones to travel to a different zone?

I'm asking because, at first, for me, it looks like this will save gold, but increase the time waiting for loading screens (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm doing writs with 5 characters now, about to be 6, and I still don't think housing will help me cut the time it takes to do them all. Right now, I can do all of them in about 35 minutes starting with my Characters parked in Rawl'kha and leaving the in Craglorn after delivery.

I know this focus is on traveling, but isn't adding a new long loading screen worse than just going straigh to the main city Wayshrine?

As I said, I haven't played housing yet, so I'm more asking than saying this is not worth it. Just trying to plan my writs to be as efficient as possible time wise.

I can only see benefiting from this is if your characters are DC and you get the house in Daggerfall like @Annalyse if you're just doing writs. It depends on where you're turning them in, too. redspectre mysteriously turns his in in Stormhaven - I don't even know what crafting level that would be. I do mine in Belkarth in Craglorn since that's where I have to turn them in anyway - on 7 characters. Not fun. At least on PC we get the Lazy Writ Crafter add-on. I think Raw'kha might be the worst imaginable place to do writs, though, since there's always a billion people there, many dueling, and that has prevented people from even logging in this patch. Too bad the Craglorn houses are nowhere near where anyone actually goes, except perhaps for farming nirn. Or doing the dailies for motifs, but you need a group for at least one of those anyway.

I didn't realize how convenient it would be to have a Banker just standing there anyplace you port to. I like that a lot.
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice post! I am a new player and while I can't get but one freebie apartment home right now, now I have goals based on the OP.

Thanks for this guide!
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »

I can only see benefiting from this is if your characters are DC and you get the house in Daggerfall like @Annalyse if you're just doing writs. It depends on where you're turning them in, too. redspectre mysteriously turns his in in Stormhaven - I don't even know what crafting level that would be. I do mine in Belkarth in Craglorn since that's where I have to turn them in anyway - on 7 characters. Not fun. At least on PC we get the Lazy Writ Crafter add-on. I think Raw'kha might be the worst imaginable place to do writs, though, since there's always a billion people there, many dueling, and that has prevented people from even logging in this patch. Too bad the Craglorn houses are nowhere near where anyone actually goes, except perhaps for farming nirn. Or doing the dailies for motifs, but you need a group for at least one of those anyway.

I didn't realize how convenient it would be to have a Banker just standing there anyplace you port to. I like that a lot.

I'm still testing the best place. I don't know why, but on Xbox, doing writs in Rawl'kha is faster for me than just parking my characters on Craglorn. I think the first log in is longer in Craglorn than anywhere else. I used to park all my crafters there. Tested Wayrest as well. So far, Rawl'kha wins.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't decide, so I got Sleek Creek, Snugpod and Humblemud. :#
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Colovian Jungle House is right next to a wayshrine and traders.
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly if you can easily craft in Rawl'kha or Craglorn I wouldn't bother with a "convenience" house. It is faster to just log in to that location. I used to just leave my writ alts parked in Belkarth, but my issue is that since One Tamriel my fps is lowered a lot in both of those cities so I prefer to avoid them now (aside from the turn-ins). Before housing I started parking them in Velyn Harbour (and how I wish I could get a house there!) but now the issue is mostly that housing does not act as a wayshrine to teleport away from, so if I want to leave any characters parked at my mansion I can just free teleport them to the other house to start off with my writs. If they ever change it so that you can teleport freely from your house I'd probably use the convenience house less because I'd have other options.

As far as the loading screens go, so far my load screens to the house are the same length as wayshrine load screens, but going out the door doesn't take long at all. I was worried that it would be long like entering/exiting a delve, but for me exiting only takes about 3 seconds.