The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

vMSA gear question

NinthPrince64
NinthPrince64
✭✭✭
I am running 5/5/2 NMG and Red Mountain. Weapons are all sharpened NMG. Monster is veli/krag.

I picked up a nirnhoned Maelstrom bow. Should I swap out my sharpened NMG for nirn Maelstrom bow?

My application/setting is running vMSA (probably.should have said that earlier).

Thanks for your help.
Edited by NinthPrince64 on December 30, 2016 3:28PM
  • SuperLarrio
    SuperLarrio
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    "Scissors is in a good place right now but Paper is way OP"-Rock
    "Rock is in a good place right now but Scissors is way OP"-Paper
    "Paper is in a good place right now but Rock is way OP"-Scissors
  • j_s
    j_s
    ✭✭✭
    +1 Yes

Switching to Maelstrom Bow will make a huge difference, even if it's not sharpened.

In a nutshell: any trait vMA Bow is better than any other non-vMA Bow of any trait. The enchantment of the vMA is THAT good.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    j_s wrote: »
    +1 Yes

Switching to Maelstrom Bow will make a huge difference, even if it's not sharpened.

In a nutshell: any trait vMA Bow is better than any other non-vMA Bow of any trait. The enchantment of the vMA is THAT good.

It's also because the bow bar is a DoT/buff bar and most of your DPS happens on your main bar, so the trait isn't that important in the first place.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I prefer Precise vMA over sharpened as the full penetration is not used and as it is my backbar weapon, it gives me more crit ticks of Vigor.
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    j_s wrote: »
    +1 Yes

Wow, you weren't kidding. Huge difference using Maelstrom bow. I got a sharpened Maelstrom dagger earlier and ended up not using it because I didn't think it was helping, but that bow is crazy, and it's not even one of the "good" ones.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bow is certainly OP. :smiley:
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    Following up on this discussion, I just picked up a nirnhoned dagger to go along with the sharpened dagger I got earlier. Would it make sense to switch in Maelstrom daggers for NMG daggers? I'm guessing the answer is no?
  • j_s
    j_s
    ✭✭✭
    No :)

As mentioned a few times already in other threads, vMA (sharpened) daggers aren't the best for vMA (mobs die too quickly for the flurry enchantment to take effect).

You get better results if you stick to sharpened non-vMA daggers. However, the vMA bow is a MUST!
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Following up on this discussion, I just picked up a nirnhoned dagger to go along with the sharpened dagger I got earlier. Would it make sense to switch in Maelstrom daggers for NMG daggers? I'm guessing the answer is no?

Pretty cool set to allow for nonsharpened vma weapons is twice-fanged serpent. 5 k Penetration, pretty effective. As long as you don't stop dealing damage it outperforms spriggan.

In vma the Maelstrom DW weapons aren't useful, most stuff dies before the dots even get the chance to tick hard. So stay with your setup. 5 vicious ophidian makes quite a difference in vMA though, if you haven't tried that you might want to.
    Outside of vMA for vet dungeons and vet trials, you can go with 2 kragh, 5 twice-fanged serpent, 3 vicious ophidian and your three non-sharpened vma weapons. Switch out the 2 kragh for another two vicious ophidian if you need the sustain.
    Edited by Masel on January 2, 2017 12:46PM
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »

Pretty cool set to allow for nonsharpened vma weapons is twice-fanged serpent. 5 k Penetration, pretty effective. As long as you don't stop dealing damage it outperforms spriggan.

In vma the Maelstrom DW weapons aren't useful, most stuff dies before the dots even get the chance to tick hard. So stay with your setup. 5 vicious ophidian makes quite a difference in vMA though, if you haven't tried that you might want to.
    Outside of vMA for vet dungeons and vet trials, you can go with 2 kragh, 5 twice-fanged serpent, 3 vicious ophidian and your three non-sharpened vma weapons. Switch out the 2 kragh for another two vicious ophidian if you need the sustain.

Well, after 17 completions (yes I am keeping track) I decided to try Vicious Ophidian. I can't believe what a difference it makes. That set is crazy good for vMSA.
  • Upright_man
    Upright_man
    ✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »

Well, after 17 completions (yes I am keeping track) I decided to try Vicious Ophidian. I can't believe what a difference it makes. That set is crazy good for vMSA.

Good to see your still going strong @NinthPrince64

VO is just so good in vMA!

I still havent gotten my last sharpened dagger! think ill give it a rest until next patch now though.

Tired of 1h and shield and staffs lol.