Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

So how exactly do I farm lower tier materials?

Kammakazi
Kammakazi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
All my characters are Level 50. (11)

Am I forced to make each character have its own tier of materials?

Ex:
  • Character 1: 10/10 in Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking, Enchanting - 8/8 Alchemy
  • Character 2: 9/10 in Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking, Enchanting - 7/8 Alchemy
  • Character 3: 8/10 in Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking, Enchanting - 6/8 Alchemy

Is this what it's become? Also, I'll only be seeing 50/50 of the respected purchased points cause the other half is scaled to max level. (CP 160)

What the hell.
  • GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do max lvl crafting dailies on 9 chars. Since one Tamriel I got over 1.5k of each low level material from the reward bags without any farming.
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kammakazi wrote: »

Ex:
    • Character 1: 10/10 in Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking, Enchanting - 8/8 Alchemy
    • Character 2: 9/10 in Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking, Enchanting - 7/8 Alchemy
    • Character 3: 8/10 in Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking, Enchanting - 6/8 Alchemy

Is this what it's become? Also, I'll only be seeing 50/50 of the respected purchased points cause the other half is scaled to max level. (CP 160)

What the hell.

yes exactly and so is everyone else and its wonderful.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you now have to build a character to farm materials of a certain level. Not sure why this is a good idea, but it is what we have right now. Actually as someone who just took a new character through leveling, I can say it's a lousy idea.

I am just glad I made sets of Training Gear back before this new scheme. Hopefully ZOS opens up the crafting materials to all levels and just the amount of materials determines gear level. That would make much more sense than what we have now.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

Ex:

What the hell.

Some people do craft for more than just their own alts, STEVIL.

It is not "wonderful", it is a royal pita when you need low level mats and can't go farm them yourself. I know you'll say "buy them then", which is fine. Please send me the gold. I made 7 sets of below 50 gear over the last week and a half. You'll say "you can do writs and get low level mats in a crate", but unless something was changed you have no control over *which* lower level mats you get, so if you need ebony and get a crate of 24 iron ingots, well, sucks to be you. Last time I checked full sets of gear usually require more than 24 pieces of any mat. Getting the crate of 24 low level *refined already* mats doesn't give you the tempers you might need. And you are out the mats needed to do the writs to get the rng materials crate. Since they cut back on being able to farm mats, I don't have the mats to do the ruby level writs on more than two characters. So, where are all the low level mats I need to craft for my guilds going to come from?

People don't play the game the way you do, apparently. They do want to have decent gear below level 50; it can last for 10 levels or more. Just because you don't play the same way doesn't mean that current method for farming mats "is wonderful". You are your own special case. I'm hoping they change this, because being a crafter isn't really fun anymore. Now with the crafting for housing being added, it might be an even larger clusterfluff.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

Ex:

What the hell.

Some people do craft for more than just their own alts, STEVIL.

It is not "wonderful", it is a royal pita when you need low level mats and can't go farm them yourself. I know you'll say "buy them then", which is fine. Please send me the gold. I made 7 sets of below 50 gear over the last week and a half. You'll say "you can do writs and get low level mats in a crate", but unless something was changed you have no control over *which* lower level mats you get, so if you need ebony and get a crate of 24 iron ingots, well, sucks to be you. Last time I checked full sets of gear usually require more than 24 pieces of any mat. Getting the crate of 24 low level *refined already* mats doesn't give you the tempers you might need. And you are out the mats needed to do the writs to get the rng materials crate. Since they cut back on being able to farm mats, I don't have the mats to do the ruby level writs on more than two characters. So, where are all the low level mats I need to craft for my guilds going to come from?

People don't play the game the way you do, apparently. They do want to have decent gear below level 50; it can last for 10 levels or more. Just because you don't play the same way doesn't mean that current method for farming mats "is wonderful". You are your own special case. I'm hoping they change this, because being a crafter isn't really fun anymore. Now with the crafting for housing being added, it might be an even larger clusterfluff.

Yawn.

Just yawn.

it is getting silly how every time the comments about the new system dont go "its bad bad bad" it turns into "some folks dont want nothing but 50+" blah blah.

I have leveled three no four character up since 1t... two all the way to 50, one up to 38 and the other still at 20ish.

For those who can read, i did not say "building chars to farm mats is wonderful" did I?

I said and i quote "yes exactly and so is everyone else and its wonderful." and thats referring to the whole of the design now and how it affects "everyone" not just you and your own little "i craft for others and want it to stay how it was" self-centered worldview.

EVERYONE (not just me, not just folks running over 50, but EVERYONE) everywhere at any time harvest causally or with intent the 50/50 mats that give them more mats they can use most of the time for their own use. Esp if using the "keep crafted for 10 level" thing you mentioned.

The only real difference is instead of looking for crafting at 16 (start of the second tier) you will be able to easily supply/craft at 14 (using the iron/jute/maple) and then again at 24 instead iof 26. Works like a charm.

yes, the one set of niche crafters who think the game should be dependent on their "way we used to do it" farming for mats (and possibly selling those mats) have a negative impact on 'how we used to get this done" but on the whole the flow of "useful" mats is higher than ever before.

This also applies to drops for decon which also scale to useful.

Additionally, the drop sets being more common and always scaled even more reduced the need for these "dedicated crafter aid programs" as many character going thru leveling will find useful wearable drops always climbing with their levels.

So, to be clear:
    At 50+cap-160+ you find plenty of mats for that no matter where you go - the whole world is open not just DLCs and a few zones.
    At lower levels, the developing characters will find decon-drops always at their current level (not just in a single zone, or a few zones and a few dlcs), they will find mats scaling everywhere (at least at 50/50) in casual play or dedicated farming and they will find sets a plenty to wear if they want to or decon if they dont.

having levled these characters, honestly, i ended up just NPC vendor selling many of them cuz so many mats flowed in when i wanted to craft i had plenty. it just wasn't worth the time to decon them. That means the surplus is there when i needed to craft for others which i did several times as well.

These combine to mean that more characters will be less dependent on your old model "dedicated crafter keeping the weight of the world on their shoulders" and will have mats to procide etc.

At least once they realize your old model of "just let me do it all for you" isn't as needed any more.

And since you didn't mention it, i will just say, if you give a survey to a character of the level you want mats in, those mats will scale about 50/50 to that character level and that character skill, which means a friggin ton of quick mats at the levels you want.

I never had to do it myself, since mats flowed in to the such a surplus irt wasnt even close... but... hey.. i get it... its not exactly like it used to be and doesn't drive as many to your stoop and every change in the game ever there was some niche of players who wanted it all back the same or at least so they could do exactly what they did before cuz you know they shouldn't ever have to change even if it helps the game as a whole.

Me? i figure when they do the crafting uptick 1T follow-up you will likely see dropping the lower cap on mats or "dial-a-mat" for those who really got pleasure in dedicated flower picking runs" along with inventory slot usage.

There are plenty of ways to scratch the itch of "how hard it is now to do exactly what we used to the way we used to" but in truth that will only be a band-aid on the real issue - folks wont need it that much anymore - the "oh dedicated crafter please save me you're my only hope"

There are lotsa ways to play and the "beg a crafter" isn't the only way to make eso great again.

Edit to add: Does it strike anyone as odd that we see the "i cant farm mats the way i used to" threads from master crafters with all mats" etc but we dont see "i cant find folks to craft for me cuz there aint no materials to be found at the level i need" kind of threads?

its almost like the net result isn't a shortage of mats at the levels needed thats actually getting in the way of crafting for developing levels chars for those that want them (customers) but rather a more vocal "not the way it was dont like it" from the providers/sellers.

Edited by STEVIL on January 3, 2017 9:35PM
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm missing something but why aren't the people requesting the gear providing the mats for the level they want? In my guilds it's pretty much expected that a gear request is "all mats + tip."
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I am literally rolling in lower level mats now since I do daily max crafting writs on 5+ chars, plus lower level writs on the others. In fact, once a week I go through my crafting bags and sell my excess lower level mats in lots of 200 - those mats now sell for as much or more than the ruby mats given the presence of scaling.

However, that's my playstyle only and I realize it doesn't work for everyone. As a matter or principle, I still think it that any master crafter ought to be able harvest whatever level mats they want on demand. Since scaling is here to stay, the only way that could be possible is some sort of "switch" to set the level of mats desired..
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I am literally rolling in lower level mats now since I do daily max crafting writs on 5+ chars, plus lower level writs on the others. In fact, once a week I go through my crafting bags and sell my excess lower level mats in lots of 200 - those mats now sell for as much or more than the ruby mats given the presence of scaling.

However, that's my playstyle only and I realize it doesn't work for everyone. As a matter or principle, I still think it that any master crafter ought to be able harvest whatever level mats they want on demand. Since scaling is here to stay, the only way that could be possible is some sort of "switch" to set the level of mats desired..

Not disagreeing except that i dont want them to be able to harvest any mat they want.

I want to remove the lower level on mats for gear cap (so harvesting ruby means make any level) and i want them to divorce appearance (the cosmetic effect) from mats and let them select from any of the tiers of appearance in each style.

the net result is the same - they can harvest anytime anywhere and make any level gear of any appearance - but they dont have to toggle back and forth, dont have to store ten different materials in numbers for each craft etc...

in other words, less friggin bookkeeping to get the exact same flexibility.

Let the better you are at crafting open up the options and make things simpler for you with no loss of choices, not more cumbersome.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to remove the lower level on mats for gear cap (so harvesting ruby means make any level) and i want them to divorce appearance (the cosmetic effect) from mats and let them select from any of the tiers of appearance in each style.

the net result is the same - they can harvest anytime anywhere and make any level gear of any appearance - but they dont have to toggle back and forth, dont have to store ten different materials in numbers for each craft etc...

That would accomplish the same thing, I guess; although, if they were going to do that why not just do away with lower level mats altogether and just make material costs scale based on item level and skill level govern what levels you can craft? Just have one type of ore, one type of wood and one type of cloth\leather. No need for lower level mats at all. Much less cumbersome and less bookkeeping for everyone. Harvesting and gear crafting would become even more vanilla and bland, but we are already there for the most part.

TBH, the most exciting things about crafting now are centered around the furniture and new special writs.

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That would accomplish the same thing, I guess; although, if they were going to do that why not just do away with lower level mats altogether and just make material costs scale based on item level and skill level govern what levels you can craft? Just have one type of ore, one type of wood and one type of cloth\leather. No need for lower level mats at all. Much less cumbersome and less bookkeeping for everyone. Harvesting and gear crafting would become even more vanilla and bland, but we are already there for the most part.

TBH, the most exciting things about crafting now are centered around the furniture and new special writs.

IMO there is a noticeable benefit from having the lower mats as you develop. thats a sense of progress. its ephemeral but hey, its there. then once you hit the top or as you progress you get more options.

but i see a big diff between just doing away with them altogether and simply having at the top you can just use the stuff you farm.

I agree, the new special writs sound interesting and the idea of a new economy running on high end stuff sounds fun too.

the attuned crafting stations sounds like a lot of fun.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.