Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773
We will be performing maintenance on the PTS on Wednesday at 3:00AM EDT (7:00 UTC).

Dont touch Velocious Curse

CyrusArya
CyrusArya
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Renamed this morph to Haunting Curse.
This morph no longer shortens the duration of the curse to 3.5 seconds from 6 seconds; instead, it causes the curse to echo and trigger one additional time 6 seconds after the first explosion.

Magicka Sorcerer in my opinion is in a good spot right now and doesn't by any means need the hefty nerf you are dealing to it with this change. To anyone who has extensively played the class, it is known how essential this skill is as a staple of the sorc's offensive burst rotation. The class is based completely around ranged projectiles outside of pets, and projectiles are dodge-able and reflect-able. And beyond that, projectiles are heavily weakened by block mitigation with a shield. As such, curse is the only source of constant pressure that a sorcerer has, one that only recently saw its viability upped by being unblock-able. This change not only completely undoes that one, but completely hampers the sorc's ability to apply definitive pressure and burst in PvP. 6 seconds is far, far too long and gives much too large a window for opponents to recover. When a sorcerer cant apply constant pressure and spikes of burst damage it cannot handily kill competent opponents who know how to counter the class (which btw is very easy to counter as it is so predictable unlike the other ranged magicka class). The nerf you're dealing here is far more drastic than the shield nerf and will very adversely affect the offensive capabilities of sorc in PvP.

My favorite aspect about this class, and the reason it is my favorite class, is the skillful combos and chains of attacks you can execute. It has many moving parts that take a lot of skill and experience to expertly manage on the offensive side. This change to velocious curse ruins that burst rotation and the offensive play I have come to love, and caters to less skillful play. Among the hall marks of a good sorc is constant up time on curse and the ability to time the explosion with frag procs, and this change is very unfair to players who have dedicated much time and energy to mastering the class through thick and thin. Revert it.

PS-And if you won't revert it, at the very least don't sit there and act like this 'echo' mechanic is in any way a compensation for the massive nerf being dealt here. Its completely useless because as I said any good sorc will have learned to have constant up time on curse. As such, a second explosion is completely irrelevant. If you're gonna outright gut this skill, don't sit there and pretend like you're compensating with this BS echo mechanic- be honest and forthcoming with your intentions. Either revert the skill, grant a valid compensation that isn't redundant, or outright say you're nerfing sorc burst.
Edited by CyrusArya on January 3, 2017 10:35PM
A R Y A
-Atmosphere
-Ary'a
Czarya
The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
My PvP Videos
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey - it´s a really nice pve skill now most likely. The sorc "rotation" just got infinitely more boring though.

:neutral:
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree. Why? Just why? What is the problem with that skill?
    This change will totally ruin my "not lightning" Sorc mDD setup.
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They pretty much turned it into a useless DoT. The damage per cast is almost halved... Lets hope they change something about it to make it on par with what it was pre-nerf.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvE noone will use it like that. A skill that can only be used once very 6 seconds is useless for DDs.
    Options
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvE noone will use it like that. A skill that can only be used once very 6 seconds is useless for DDs.

Once every 12 seconds...
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

*Every 12 seconds. Its a DoT with 2 ticks now.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats the nail in the coffing for everyone still trying to make DW work on sorc in pvp. I´m feeling for them.
    <Noricum>

Options
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh wow, that's even worse, I read it wrong thinking it would trigger on a different target the second time.
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Thats the nail in the coffing for everyone still trying to make DW work on sorc in pvp. I´m feeling for them.

For every sorc in PVP really. I like my Master Ice staff, and the changes to that + curse nerf will ruin it. I mean come on, have you ever tried to weave force pulse + wait for the frags proc ? It's not enough damage. Especially now that black rose & co will come in jewerly too. Everyone will just enjoy the resources you're giving to them and block you to death some more while you wait for 2 curse ticks.
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@Derra Was expecting someone to say that. I guess I'll have to 1-shot people with Frags now LOL. So yeah I guess I'll have to go back to destro... Force Pulse and Destro got buffed after all. I'll miss my 20k Frags on noobs...
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For every sorc in PVP really. I like my Master Ice staff, and the changes to that + curse nerf will ruin it. I mean come on, have you ever tried to weave force pulse + wait for the frags proc ? It's not enough damage. Especially now that black rose & co will come in jewerly too. Everyone will just enjoy the resources you're giving to them and block you to death some more while you wait for 2 curse ticks.

Singletarget dmg got a pretty hefty buff with fire staves (8%).

This makes some abilities a lot more desireable and the curse burst will be less needed. Also force pulse not being reflectable is huge.
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Derra Was expecting someone to say that. I guess I'll have to 1-shot people with Frags now LOL. So yeah I guess I'll have to go back to destro... Force Pulse and Destro got buffed after all. I'll miss my 20k Frags on noobs...

You can get 20k frags with a firestaff aswell - the 8% dmg buff should roughly make up for the DW loss.
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This change is absolutely ridiculous. DW sorcs are completely out, because they don't really have anything other than frags.

It looks like we're all picking up Ice staves and block casting everything. And back-barring curse.

I hate it. I'm terrible with a staff build. And spamming force pulse makes me feel like a zergling scrub.
    Options
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if this can still be changed until final live version of this patch? :-/

Please ZOS, this doesn't make much sense to use, nor it's fun. Sounds very boring to be honest.
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

This change is absolutely ridiculous. DW sorcs are completely out, because they don't really have anything other than frags.

It looks like we're all picking up Ice staves and block casting everything. And back-barring curse.

I hate it. I'm terrible with a staff build. And spamming force pulse makes me feel like a zergling scrub.

I can already see the permablocking heavy armor ice staff templars with rune focus + blackrose + ritual 400 magica return PER SECOND.
    That´s all non regen related magica return.
    They can block with that returned magica.

What the *** that´s going to be so broken.
    Edited by Derra on January 3, 2017 10:58PM
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You can get 20k frags with a firestaff aswell - the 8% dmg buff should roughly make up for the DW loss.

Yes sure, but the DW playstyle was just so good. Now its even more spam than before. Its also impossible to reach the stats of a DW build on a staff build. The 8% buff is only 3% more than 2 swords. So it will be pretty much the same.

I'm still trying to figure out the PvE rotation though..!

Curse on back bar... Blockade on front? Or execute on front?

Was thinking Haunting Curse > Liquid > Blockade > Force Pulse spam. Gonna be boring AF.

Hurricane and Standard nerf means that stam NBs are top dog for single target DPS now though, thats some good news.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcs have had so many nerfs. Ruining one of the few good sorc abilities out of nowhere. No one was even complaining about curse. Why?????

Who the hell gives ZOS these wacky ideas????
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes sure, but the DW playstyle was just so good. Now its even more spam than before. Its also impossible to reach the stats of a DW build on a staff build. The 8% buff is only 3% more than 2 swords. So it will be pretty much the same.

I'm still trying to figure out the PvE rotation though..!

Curse on back bar... Blockade on front? Or execute on front?

Was thinking Haunting Curse > Liquid > Blockade > Force Pulse spam. Gonna be boring AF.

Hurricane and Standard nerf means that stam NBs are top dog for single target DPS now though, thats some good news.

Depending on how the fire destro passive works - probably destructive reach front and drop finisher entirely. Marginal dps gain (if at all) anyways.

curse + LL + wall backbar
    pulse + reach + frags frontbar

It´s gonna be even more boring than it already was because the dots are going to line up quite well on backbar.
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can already see the permablocking heavy armor ice staff templars with rune focus + blackrose + ritual 400 magica return PER SECOND.

Shhhh!
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcs have had so many nerfs. Ruining one of the few good sorc abilities out of nowhere. No one was even complaining about curse. Why?????

Who the hell gives ZOS these wacky ideas????

Atleast with this change they no longer have any (and i mean absolutely zero) excuse to not give sorcs a class spammable ability.

Also why did crystal blast not get changed @Wrobel ???
    <Noricum>

Options
  • gibous
    gibous
    ✭✭✭✭

Sad but true - and also, with the flame staff 8% single target dmg buff, DW has even less appeal.

This is probably the most severe damage ability nerf in the patch notes. The tooltip should just read "buy 1 get 1 free."

This class is designed around timed burst. Not dots and debuffs, just pure damage. So what sorc is good at gets nerfed while the questing pets get buffed.
    Reddington James — Magsorc & Magplar (NA PC)
    Options
  • Gobsta
    Gobsta
    Who's dumb idea was it to change Curse????? Who in the right mind would want to wait 6 seconds from that *** to go off?

Were you possibly thinking about using double kena as a sorc?
    Well better forget that cause curse takes longer to explode than the damn monster helm's buff last!!

Like seriously............. why change curse?

Ya'll already nerfed shields. WHY CURSE WHHHYYYYYYYY
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shhhh!

You wont even be able to pressure their stamina. They can rolldodge and gain 3k magica in the process. Thihihi.

But yeah lets nerf curse. Make it blockable again aswell :P
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gibous wrote: »

Sad but true - and also, with the flame staff 8% single target dmg buff, DW has even less appeal.

This is probably the most severe damage ability nerf in the patch notes. The tooltip should just read "buy 1 get 1 free."

This class is designed around timed burst. Not dots and debuffs, just pure damage. So what sorc is good at gets nerfed while the questing pets get buffed.

Well now it´s going to be a procc based burst class with no sustained pressure ability. Basically a worse magica NB.
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Icarus42
    Icarus42
    ✭✭✭
    I finally felt like I achieved a good dw build and they go and do this!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Worst idea ever Zenimax
    Ebonheart Pact - PC NA - Magicka Sorcerer
    Options
  • Icarus42
    Icarus42
    ✭✭✭
    Another useless skill i will never use thanx
    Ebonheart Pact - PC NA - Magicka Sorcerer
    Options
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

We should probably make this build public. Like new thread public. It's the only way to get this kind of garbage fixed before stupid goes live.

Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I didn't even spot this nerf wtf!
    PC | EU
    Options
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You'd probably need slimecraw and a flame staff to get that (16% damage total?).

DW naturally has higher spell damage because of the two swords to begin with. It's like starting off with Julianos built-in. The fire staff only makes up for the dual wield passive damage.

Still this is ass. The ONLY positive I can think of is that one curse is instant death for a low health 18-20K nightblade after 12 seconds if they don't drop cloak and start spamming vigor.

Options
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I may have spoken too soon which, just got heated, and so will admit that and be rational about this. Theres one thing that needs to be tested ASAP before we make judgements...will applying curse after the first explosion reset the skill or not? Cus if the echo is independent of the initial explosion, and you can have both a echo explosion and regular curse ticking at the same time...well that could be cool.

Can someone test and report back please? I cant get pts atm.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
    Options