The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Fiery grip and Unrelenting grip elevation bug.

paulsimonps
paulsimonps
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So this is a bug that has been in the game for a long time now but I just noticed something about it that might help in identifying the core issue. So what this bug is is that "sometimes" when you try to use the ability Fiery grip or its morph Unrelenting Grip it doesn't work. Its suppose to pull the target towards you and placing them in front of you, instead you get a message saying that the target is to high or to low for you to use the skill, this despite trying to do it on a flat surface. However, using a potion when that happens fixes it and you can now chain in your target to you. Using a potion has been a fix for many issues in the past as well, its kind of like a refresh button for some reason.

So what I have noticed is that every time we change our position significantly along the Z axis the problem seems to arise. Basically if you use a staircase or a large hill to go up and down you can't use the ability until you use a potion. That is why I think it happens so often in the White Gold Tower Dungeon, so many stairs. This has been a very consistent thing and I have observed this effect not only in multiple dungeons but in trials and delves as well. It seems like the players Z coordinates are not updated to follow the new location and there for when you try to use the ability it says you are to high or to low use the ability and then when you "refresh" with a potion it updates and you can use it. I hope this information will aid in finding a solution to this problem that plagues many Dragonknights, especially tanks, in helping their team crowd control enemies.

@ZOS_Day @ZOS_GinaBruno
Edited by paulsimonps on November 10, 2016 2:00PM
  • Mr_Apollo
    Mr_Apollo
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had this problem so many times while being like 5 inches away from them or 5 ft away, on a flat surface right in front of them, when this happens I just stop using the chains and move on with other attacks, but its really annoying as I use it for tanking and pulling targets bugging the DPS and healer to me and find out that it wont work. Its..bad, would love a fix
    "Am I truly lost? Is this the end of me? Perhaps...just like all stories have a beginning, all of them will have an ending"
    ~Brelin Geolas

"The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing"
    ~Lyris Titanborn

"It is good the people wear clothing. M'aiq wears clothing. Who would want to see M'aiq naked? Sick, sick people. Very sad."
    ~M'aiq the Liar
    Kornwalsky - Dunmer - Nightblade
    Tinker Knight - Khajiit - DragonKnight
    Erenimir - Altmer - Sorcerer
    M'zorna - Orc - Sorcerer
    Kristof Nordgård - Breton - Templar

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This originally came about from pvp, big surprise. To prevent keep jumping and pulling players from keep walls they added height restrictions. As you noticed changes in elevation lock the ability behind the height restrictions so maybe whatever function tags your elevation relative to enemies does not have a reset command in the coding. Maybe add one to trigger after each use or at least each combat session. By the way If you heavy attack either fully or partially it will reset chains as well. It is terrible having to work around something that has long needed an actual fix. Nothing like having to spend half a mob pull trying to get one vital ability to work.
    Edited by nordsavage on November 10, 2016 2:27PM
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Day

Just saw something else that is important to know. When you don't have the bug that causes you to not be able to use the ability you can still chain targets that are high up or down low if you are in a dungeon. For example, in wayrest there is a boss that stands on the top of a large staircase with 2 mages next to him. I can stand on the bottom of that staircase and chain the mages down from the top with my error message about elevation issues but if I walked up the staircase and tried to chain them I couldn't anymore. So hope that extra info helped.